66 an Enjoying Life - Overland Park, KS

I've been reading all these reviews an am thrilled...

I've been reading all these reviews an am thrilled to have access to all this info! I went to my first meeting about surgery in May and I weighed 218. I qualify for some help from Medicare which thoroughly shocked me. My Cigna insurance won't pay anything. After my July 1 meeting I was told I would be getting a call from scheduling in two weeks. No call. Finally today I received THE call with a date of Sept 9th. I have told a lot of friends an family about this and have little to NO support. They all think this is to drastic. I am on the borderline of diabetes, have high blood pressure, an high cholesterol. I have zero willpower. We are winter Texans with a party everyday so I am concerned about how this will affect our social life. We are use to eating out a lot and of course margaritas n beer. We also have a lake house for summer months with lots of parties, etc. I am worried my decision will have quite a lifestyle change for my husband of 40 yrs.
Dr Drahota

Good morning just seing this post now! You will glide into your healthy life style . I had MGB in November 2013 am down from day before surgery 253 (start of paper work for approval 268) to 172.I eat small portions and what ever i want.Of course I have rarely like a fried food. I have clients who have had sleeve drink a few beers or wine here and there.I have not didnt before. It is like the surgery gives you a different mind set and taste for bad stuff lol.Dr.Peraglie has been wonderful. Has taught me to not diet and balance my food choices.So if I want a taste of cannoli have it but trade it off on occasion to take care of craving. My blood work is that of 35 year old they say am 59. My husband plays out in classic Rock and oldies band does not bother me to not drink . You will figure it all out! Hopefully people around you will support you! Good luck will recovery :)
Your post was extremely helpful!! Thank you for taking the time to update us - it is so helpful to hear from someone that had the surgery and is still doing great one year later!! Makes me even more excited (if that is even possible!) for the surgery!
You are so welcomed .I get excited when someone has made surgery decision it all works out!!Never worry you get thru it !!
maybe 2123, I have medicare and cigna too and they told me if medicare covers it that they would also cover it. I hope I got the right answer because just the surgery is $30,000 and that's not the hospital charge.
Maryella1- Emailed you a note to see how you were doing. I go for all my bllod work and checkups next week,they said since I have to self pay my date for my sleeve could be alot earlier then planned.My youngest son got married in Colorado this last weekend and it was a beautiful wedding,but when I see my pictures I am so sad I am huge compared to everone eles,I wish I would have looked into this sooner and would have been on my way to weight lost already,oh well one foot in front of the other right. How is everyone eles doing love to hear from people about their stories.
Sorry I didn't respond, I am going to go into my emails and try to find it. Don't be to hard on yourself you are taking the next step now and that's what matters. Will keep in touch. I did go to des yesterday and she said to go for psych apt and after the get results as to I am nuts or not we will set a date. Probably be end of October or beginning of November.
Hi there! Congrats to you, for doing what's right for YOU! Sorry that some of your friends and family are not supportive, that they think this is "too drastic" a step for you. Do they know of all your health issues? Do they know that this procedure and getting and staying thinner will be healthier for you? Perhaps you need to educate them a bit. If they're still not supportive, in time, you may need to limit your time with them and find people who WILL support you. I hate to say that, but it's important to be around people who won't undermine you in this quest to get healthy. It's hard enough without people trying to get you to "party" with them in the manner they're used to. I'm only telling a very few people of my plans right now, but as the surgery date progresses and, certainly afterwards, I plan on only being around people who understand or support me in this. I know I'm not going to be strong enough to be in situations and around people who are encouraging me to lapse back into my many old, bad habits.
Seems like different professionals have a different take on alcohol. I was thoroughly interviewed about my alcohol consumption prior to surgery. I rarely drank alcohol. It was explained to me that drinking 1 beer with a sleeve is like drinking 3. I was sleeved 6/2 of this year and wasn't told I have to wait to drink alcohol, but I haven't had any yet. I have a hard enough time getting my fluids in and have yet to reach my goal of 64 oz in a day. Some days I can drink an entire 32 ounces, but most days no where near that. This sounds like a question for your surgeon who would think do you wrong. As far as food goes, no worries because you would think want it. ;) I had all of my nieces and nephews over tonight and we went out to eat for the first time since surgery to a local pizza place. I was seriously content drinking my berry water while everyone else stuffed their faces in front of me!
Stuuupid smart phone. "Think" should be wont.
I really don't care about drinking that much so I don't think I'll miss that. What did u eat at the pizza place?
I did not eat anything at the pizza place. They had Sobee (?) Berry water as an option for drinks that were not carbonated and it was really cold and really good. I'm not sure about the calories, but it wasn't 4 pieces of pizza and a coke with refills X2 so the way I look at it is I'm doing much better than I used to! I don't care about drinking either, but I did try and have a beer yesterday. Did not go over well. I had 2 sips and was in pain. Beer is very bubbly and I never really noticed that before.
Did it bother you to not eat when others were? Seems it will feel weird
No, it did not bother me at all. At first, I wanted to eat so bad. I grieved the loss of food. Plus, I felt so horrible-pain, nausea, dehydration, fatigue. I felt like this was the worst decision I've ever made in my life. It's temporary. This was the best decision of my life. I don't look at food like I used to. Good foods make me feel good and energized. Bad foods make me feel like crap. I will certainly choose a premier protein shake or a small hunk of cheese over a greasy burger any day of the week! I am a big foodie. I loved to eat. I loved going out to eat...then to the local dairy queen stand for ice cream. Not anymore. I will still go out to eat but I wont eat like I did. I will either have something to drink only or a small, better for me choice instead of the 20oz ribeye with a loaded baked potato, rolls, an appetizer, etc. I'm at the point now where I am dealing with food differently. I can not eat like I used to. I can not eat the amount, kinds of foods, or frequency that I used to. I'm OK with that. My husband gladly takes my "leftovers" and I really feel satisfied. I participate in conversation at the meals. We also have a 1 year old who I tend to so everyone else can eat which really helps.
How long did those conditions last? We are spose to go on a trip 9 days after my surgery. Am I nuts to think we can make it ?
Well, everyone is different. I never would have made it...not even a month after surgery. I took 6 weeks off of work and could have used more. I'm still very fatigued and it's been.since 6/2. Some people are drinking the day of surgery. Not me. I didn't have anything until day 5. I was still in the hospital on day 5, too, and most people are released after 1 or 2 nights. My surgeon was excellent. I did not tolerate the anesthesia well and I had never had problems with it before. My husband had to take an additional 2 weeks off of work to help me. I was admitted back to the hospital 4x for dehydration because I could not drink fluids. I was really a hot mess. I did not drive for a month! There was zero possibility of me going anywhere 9 days after surgery unless it was back to the hospital. I did try to tag along at the grocery store once a few days after I got home. It did not go over well at all. Then, I see people on these boards who were up and exercising and working a week after. I would be on the safe side and not plan anything. This is really a major operation and life altering procedure. You really need time to rest. I'm only 33 and my highest weight was 247 at 5'3" and other than chronic back pain, I have no serious medical problems that would have caused a delay in recovery.
I'm still tired and weaker than usual. The nausea has subsided unless I eat too much. Fatigue is my major enemy right now. I'm getting my protein and taking my vitamins.
I know it's awful close. Being a veteran of surgery I have not had any bad reactions to anesthic. Hubby says if we can't make it we can't make it. How much have u lost? I'm sorry for your dehydration an hope it's getting better!
I had several surgeries before thin-film no abdominal surgeries so maybe that's the difference? I started out at 247. After my preop diet u was 237 the day of surgery and tpday, I'm 203. Total, 44 pounds. It's not coming off as fast as I've seen others post theirs is coming off, but when is the last time I lost 44lbs in less than 3 months? Never. Lol! So I'll take it!
There's that smart phone again... Several surgeries before this-but no abdominal surgeries...
What does your dr say
My doctor has been pleased with my progress so far.
I too have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, use a cpap machine and have asthma.
I would give up almost anything to be healthier and slimmer,that includes parties and beer.Good luck on your adventure.
thank you and I wish the same for you. I am scheduled for sometime in October. I am scared because of the ability of me to eat and take correct vitamins and nutrients, to maintain a healthy body. I am lucky I don't drink all that much, couple drinks a year at the most. but, we are a close family that get's together at least once or twice a week with food being the mainstay. I have arthritis that real makes me uncomfortable with the extra weight. would really like to get out and not be in pain even walking. I wasn't told anything about loosing 40#, and I now weigh 217# coming down from 236# in about 2 months. and I am 5' 1/2".
Boy I know that arthritis, I have it in my knees so bad and carrying around 300 lbs. has made it almost unbearable. I to have a hard time with vit. they are really rough on my stomach, I have been taking gummies they have more sugar but are alot easier on my stomach, not sure if I can take them when my sleeve is done.