October 21st and my implants will be gone!!

Twelve years ago, when I was 24, I made the...

Twelve years ago, when I was 24, I made the impulsive, VERY impulsive, decision to get breast implants. Being an extremelly small 34AA, the only thing on my mind was the ability to buy cute bras and actually fit into a bikini top.
I won't lie, in the beginning, it was a rough transition. I wasn't prepared for the psychological affects having fake boobs would have on me. But after a couple of months of my new 34C implants settling in and becoming more natural feeling by the day, my self esteem increased dramatically. I could wear almost anything. Oh, my priorities were right on track, huh? Lol.
Well, over the last 12 years, with lifestyle and career changes my implants have moved, shifted, and become kind of uncomfortable. They're just plain uneven. I'm constantly feeling the need to adjust them throughout the day. It's a very odd feeling.
So, here I am.... still deciding and teetering. In the past week I've had two phone conversations with two different PS in my area. I also have a face-to-face consultation with my original PS nurse on April 22nd. It seems that money is the only thing holding me back right now. And I'm trying very hard this time to not be impulsive.... ; )

I tried... No coverage on insurance.

I just contacted my insurance provider, Cigna, and unfortunately the removal of breast implants is not covered. Now, the woman I spoke with did say that if I'm having complications or leakage, I could get an authorization then the removal could possibly be covered. I'm not suspecting that I have any issues besides the strong desire to get them out. I'll just keep shopping around and try to find the cheapest PS...

First consulation

I just got home from my first consultation with Jill, my original PS nurse. She was informative and non-judgmental, which was a relief. It went well although she quoted me a cost of $2550. That includes the surgeon fee of $2000 and surgery center fee of $550. Hopefully my PS will quote me less, although I doubt it. She took my questions (i.e. definite cost , anesthesia options, removal/non-removal of capsule), felt around and made sure everything was as it should be (everything is still soft and my implants move freely in the pockets), and took new pictures. I made a second appointment, tentatively set for May 29th, to speak with my actual PS for further info. I asked about the "complications," I described on here, and she told me that my PS doesn't deal with any insurance. Whether my issues would be covered, I'll never know. I'm still in "shopping" mode as of now. As bad as this sounds, and as badly as I want this done, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to have this procedure done.

2nd consultation, still searching

Let me preface this by saying "I'm sorry for the rant."
Yesterday, at 10am, I met with Dr. Leahy. Long story super short: I'm still searching. I don't now what I'm supposed to expect when I walk into a consultation. I feel like it should be a warm situation with who can empathize with my concerns and feelings. While Dr. Leahy was nice enough, I don't want a car salesman approach. I don't want to sit there, mid-conversation, feeling like stock. Just because I'm not replacing my implants doesn't mean the ps is going to lose money on my removal operation. I don't want to hear new advancements that will "cure" my current issues. I don't want to hear that I'm not going to look like I did before I got the BA. Really? I'm fully prepared for my outcome. I've been researching this for months. I had zero breast tissue before and lived with it for 24 years and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have zero again in the end. **shrugs shoulders** Oh well. I REALLY don't want to hear that none of my clothes will fit after an explant. These are a few of the salesman tactics the ps used yesterday. I'm still not sold. He did, on the other hand, agree to do the removal in office and under local anesthesia. He quoted $1700. He'd numb me, use my prior incision, deflate the implant and pull it out, clean up inside the pocket, and sew up the incision. To keep the cost down, per my request, he wouldn't remove the capsule. He says that requires general anesthesia. He seemed a little uneasy about it. It's not something he generally does. I'm thinking that's a sign as well that I shouldn't settle.

Consultation #3: May 28th

I just scheduled my third consultation, with Dr. Gary Hall, for May 28th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
I was hoping to schedule another one with Dr. Quinn, who is highly recommended, but it was going to be $125 even though his website says "schedule your complimentary consultation." That is taken off the cost of the procedure if he ended up being "the one," but it's too pricey for me since I'm just checking around. Plus, he only does general anesthesia. : (

October 21st is my removal day!! **clapping hands**

I had my third and, glad to say, final consultation today with Dr. Gary Hall. It was a quick and painless process. Basically, he'd cut around my original inframammary scar, through the muscle, drain the implant, remove it, and sew up the new incision. Easy peasy. He was so... genuine and very friendly. I never got a judgmental vibe from him or his nurse, Shauna. Neither of them asked if I was sure I didn't want to replace my implants, nor did Dr. Hall tell me that I wouldn't like my outcome. That is huge to me!!
Now it's just a waiting game until I have enough money to pay cash and a couple of weeks off work. : )
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Meeting Dr. Hall was a refreshing experience. From the minute he walked into the room, at my consultation, he was very friendly. He wasn't judgmental, and made the process very comfortable. He didn't push me to reconsider replacing my implants. He went through the steps of my procedure and was straight to the point. Meeting, and talking with, Dr. Hall was a very welcomed change from the other consultations is had.

Good luck! I had my explant yesterday and do not regret it! I don't even regret getting the implants as they have taught me so much about myself and they really did help me to put my priorities in order! You're going to look great! I also have zero breast tissue and actually prefer the look over my DD/DDD's. Soft hugs!
Did you enjoy them while you had them in? I'm 26 and had mine done 10 weeks ago. I'm seriously considering having them taken out and hoping my skin goes back to normal. I booked an appt with surgeon. No idea what he's going to say or charge, or even if I still want to remove them
It was a weird adjustment for the first few months. After they settled and became softer, they were great! After about four years, and job change they started to shift in the pocket. Being right handed, and my original PS warned me, my right implant has moved lower and towards the right. I always feeling like I need to adjust boobs so they're straight. It's an awkward feeling if I'm not wrapped up like a mummy with a bra of some sort. Our pectoral muscles do some crazy things to implants. Lol. As far explanting so soon, I'd think your skin would retract right back. More so than waiting twelve years like I have. : / I wish you the best in your decision!! Good luck!! : )
It's funny, you never hear a PS warning that none of your clothes will fit when you ask for implants in the first place! Glad the third consult went better. x
Oh I know!! It's also crazy how differently a PS treats an explanter compared to an implanter. This business is too focused on $$. I totally understand that but, PS need to remember to have a little compassion for the people who don't want to, or can't, maintain this lifestyle forever. Thanks! It's a relief to have the consultation process over with. I'm hoping the next five months flys by... ; )
I know! I was so lucky that my PS was nice but I love how you can walk in there and effectively say 'I want you to cut me open, dissect my chest muscles and insert a plastic bag, purely for aesthetic purposes' and they think 'Great! Good choice. I will support that decision.' Whereas you can say 'I have decided that I prefer my natural physique and want to spend my energies learning to like myself as I am' and they say 'Have you talked to a psychologist?'
Yeah! Sometimes they save the best for last. My last consult is next week.
Yep! It was a nice way to end my search and start making definite plans. It'll be plenty of time for me to wrap my head around exactly what I'm doing to myself. Lol. So unlike when I got the implants. Ugh, young and impulsive is a bad combo. Good luck with your final consultation! I hope you find your perfect surgeon! : )
Hi Sonnybutters, definitely keep looking until you find the right doctor! I had 5 consultations before I found one I really liked - and definitely got my share of pompous, egotistical doc trying to pressure me into a revision, or a capsulectomy. One even told me that the reason I don't like my implants is because they aren't silicone. Most PS seem to offer free consultations, so while it will take time, I suggest you take advantage and see as many as it takes for you to find the right one. Good luck - and don't let them tell you what you want!
Thanks NaturalBeauty77. : )
Don't be discouraged by the docs suggesting you will want implants and won't like your size! I think they must get that a lot, but for someone who truly is done with the implant they know what to expect. Especially b/c you have been on this site and doing your research. I also think they do want to sell more implants. Mine was the same way, but just 1 day post-op I can tell I'm going to be fine. Clothes will fit great! Better than busting out of those tops. And really, if you wanted to have something put in on down the road it's not like you can't do that. If you are like me and just done with surgery though, then explanting is the way to go! Some docs even recommend explanting first, then deciding later if you want a small implant. They just make sure in office b/c of course its easier now to replace b/c the pocket/capsule is there. Once you remove, the body starts to heal that space up and adding another implant would mean getting another pocket created. Like I have told you in our messages, my doc and nurses were surprised I didn't want a replacement. But the whole entire office has gigantic boobs, so they just don't get what I'm going for (which is small boobs, all natural). I regretted getting mine altogether. My nurse even said over the phone "oh you'll want a lift" ... horrible manners! Doc didn't even suggest that, so she just needed to pipe down lol ;). I'd go with Monarch, they are highly recommended. My doc would probably charge you $2300.
I'm trying to not get discouraged. I know ultimately this decision is nobody's but mine/ours. I just still expect a more understanding group of medical experts. It shouldn't be just about making money. I think I'm going keep looking for one more ps, make a consultation, and see how that goes. If I don't feel like "this is my surgeon!" then I'm going to schedule my explant with Dr. Leahy. He is in my price range after all... : )
So did they recommend removing the capsule? I'm also in the shopping stage.
Yes I was recommended to remove the capsule. The PS said I have - for sure - calcification around the implant. My dilemma is, I had no breasts before. I mean I've even looked at photos of AA cups and they seem to all be more than I had. There was nothing hanging over, nothing to push up...nothing. So as I understand it I will have a empty sac. I had 3 kids and sure, when I had milk my boobs were huge in the beginning than went up and down during BF times even though I am sure BF was affected by the implants. So what I am saying is, after removing the implant and the capsule and calcium and etc...it really is a big decision as to whether I should have anything put in. It's hard to find anyone with a similar story because it seems most had some sort of boobies! :) so I am limbo because they just weren't too attractive before and they won't be after and yes, it's superficial!!! But when I had it I weighed 120lb at 5-9. I'm not that skinny anymore! My boobs are a B, I would say they are on the small side but I can push them up with a bra, and they seem to balance my more average body now...I never had problems for 22 years with my implants except my daughter jumped on me a couple weeks ago and that is when I noticed a hardening, and it continued so I saw the PS. This week it's gone soft again so I am confused. My husband thinks I should have them taken out but to have something put in so it's not a loose pocket of skin...I was hoping he would say he didn't care. He's a nice guy, he's not superficial, but he thinks I won't like the results to just be without breasts again...
Jill, Dr. Bennett's nurse, said that Bennett does remove the capsule. I asked if it was solely his decision or if I had a say and she said it's what he recommends. I wasn't too thrilled with that. I didn't have much breast tissue to start with. It's be nice to have more in the end even if it is just scar tissue. Lol. I haven't had an issue with capsular contracture the whole 12 yrs I've had implants... She also mentioned, and I should've asked more questions about it, that sometimes a mammogram is required with implant removals. Has anyone else had to have one? If so, why? After today's consultation I'm still not sold. I did search around and find another PS and made a consultation appointment for May 5th. The lady I spoke with on the phone said he can do in office procedures under local anesthesia. That's more up my alley. We'll see what he has to say...
The 1st consult doc told me that if you leave it in that it can cause irregularities in the breast over time. I don't know if that is true. I can't find any removal updates that had theirs 5-10 years ago. I can only guess that it's true as scar tissue CAN contract over time. I don't know if the CAN is a majority or a small percentage of the time.
I didn't have any boobs before either. I'm scheduled for explant on June 10. What am I going to look like is my biggest concern. I don't think its superficial, it's why we got them in the first place! LOL If I wasn't having health problems because of them, I would keep them.
I keep wondering the same thing. Lol. I think it's going to be an amazing feeling being implant free, and weightless. Good luck to you on June 10th. Will you keep us updates on your experience? I have a consultation on May 28th and I'm really hoping to be able to schedule an explant appointment. **fingers crossed**
I finally got my profile up. I'm counting down now. Its a little scary, but exciting too.
I remember going to Bennett for a consult before I got my implants in 2009! I went with Dr Cannova. He is doing my explant on May 5th, in office. I think his would be around $2300 and I get a discount for being a prior patient (mine will be $1800). He definitely felt I would want a replacement, but I do not! And the nurse thinks I'll want a lift later on, but the doc said there is no need to lift right now. I'm praying I have good results, I don't want any more surgery! Good luck with your explant decision.
What a small world!! Lol. My best friends sister had a breast reduction done, by Dr. Gutek, in that same office. I totally understand about not wanting more surgeries. It's pretty expensive... From what I've been reading on this site the need for a lift will come further down the road, after your explant. Good luck to you on May 5th!! Will let us know how everything went?
For sure, I haven't taken any pics yet but I plan on it! Will probably post my full story after the explant, just to save some time. Good luck with your decision! I know some office (like Cannova's) use the Care Credit financing (something like that). There is interest, but might be an option for you. I wish they offered the no interest for 6 months option, I would have loved to split up the payment.
I've had my implants for 12 years. No problems, or so I though. About a year ago I began developing neck and shoulder pain. I'm 95% sure it is from the implants, but why now? How do I convince a doc (and insurance company) that I'm having problems from the implants and that they need to be removed?????
That's a very good question... Have you spoken with your PS , or another PS about your pain? I have a consultation set for the 22nd with my original PS nurse. I plan on picking her brain and telling her every detail about what I think is wrong and see where that gets me. I'm not good at "haggling" in these types of situations. If my insurance says, and they did, that an explant won't be covered unless there's a complication or leakage then that's when I say "ok, thanks" and go on. Lol.
Ok I can beat your 12 yr record! Drum roll please...I have had the same implants for 22 years! I was a stupid and insecure girl of 23. Had I had a loving family I probably wouldn't have made the choice I did. Not to blame them but coming from a broken home does nothing to build self esteem and I barely had any. It felt SO weird after I had it done. I went from an AA (and that's a generous estimate) to a "full" B. Okay, not huge but huge to me. And I never felt the type to do anything like that. Anyhow, after 22 years, with zero problems. I never had any sort of problem, well now the left one seems to have CC which I am going in this Friday to see about. So now my decision is, do I have another set put in or do I call it a day and have them out. If I were just small, fine, but I was flat chested before and I just don't know how they would look...Anyhow, big (or little) decisions I guess...