Twelve years ago, when I was 24, I made the...

Twelve years ago, when I was 24, I made the impulsive, VERY impulsive, decision to get breast implants. Being an extremelly small 34AA, the only thing on my mind was the ability to buy cute bras and actually fit into a bikini top.
I won't lie, in the beginning, it was a rough transition. I wasn't prepared for the psychological affects having fake boobs would have on me. But after a couple of months of my new 34C implants settling in and becoming more natural feeling by the day, my self esteem increased dramatically. I could wear almost anything. Oh, my priorities were right on track, huh? Lol.
Well, over the last 12 years, with lifestyle and career changes my implants have moved, shifted, and become kind of uncomfortable. They're just plain uneven. I'm constantly feeling the need to adjust them throughout the day. It's a very odd feeling.
So, here I am.... still deciding and teetering. In the past week I've had two phone conversations with two different PS in my area. I also have a face-to-face consultation with my original PS nurse on April 22nd. It seems that money is the only thing holding me back right now. And I'm trying very hard this time to not be impulsive.... ; )

I tried... No coverage on insurance.

I just contacted my insurance provider, Cigna, and unfortunately the removal of breast implants is not covered. Now, the woman I spoke with did say that if I'm having complications or leakage, I could get an authorization then the removal could possibly be covered. I'm not suspecting that I have any issues besides the strong desire to get them out. I'll just keep shopping around and try to find the cheapest PS...

First consulation

I just got home from my first consultation with Jill, my original PS nurse. She was informative and non-judgmental, which was a relief. It went well although she quoted me a cost of $2550. That includes the surgeon fee of $2000 and surgery center fee of $550. Hopefully my PS will quote me less, although I doubt it. She took my questions (i.e. definite cost , anesthesia options, removal/non-removal of capsule), felt around and made sure everything was as it should be (everything is still soft and my implants move freely in the pockets), and took new pictures. I made a second appointment, tentatively set for May 29th, to speak with my actual PS for further info. I asked about the "complications," I described on here, and she told me that my PS doesn't deal with any insurance. Whether my issues would be covered, I'll never know. I'm still in "shopping" mode as of now. As bad as this sounds, and as badly as I want this done, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to have this procedure done.

2nd consultation, still searching

Let me preface this by saying "I'm sorry for the rant."
Yesterday, at 10am, I met with Dr. Leahy. Long story super short: I'm still searching. I don't now what I'm supposed to expect when I walk into a consultation. I feel like it should be a warm situation with who can empathize with my concerns and feelings. While Dr. Leahy was nice enough, I don't want a car salesman approach. I don't want to sit there, mid-conversation, feeling like stock. Just because I'm not replacing my implants doesn't mean the ps is going to lose money on my removal operation. I don't want to hear new advancements that will "cure" my current issues. I don't want to hear that I'm not going to look like I did before I got the BA. Really? I'm fully prepared for my outcome. I've been researching this for months. I had zero breast tissue before and lived with it for 24 years and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have zero again in the end. **shrugs shoulders** Oh well. I REALLY don't want to hear that none of my clothes will fit after an explant. These are a few of the salesman tactics the ps used yesterday. I'm still not sold. He did, on the other hand, agree to do the removal in office and under local anesthesia. He quoted $1700. He'd numb me, use my prior incision, deflate the implant and pull it out, clean up inside the pocket, and sew up the incision. To keep the cost down, per my request, he wouldn't remove the capsule. He says that requires general anesthesia. He seemed a little uneasy about it. It's not something he generally does. I'm thinking that's a sign as well that I shouldn't settle.

Consultation #3: May 28th

I just scheduled my third consultation, with Dr. Gary Hall, for May 28th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
I was hoping to schedule another one with Dr. Quinn, who is highly recommended, but it was going to be $125 even though his website says "schedule your complimentary consultation." That is taken off the cost of the procedure if he ended up being "the one," but it's too pricey for me since I'm just checking around. Plus, he only does general anesthesia. : (

October 21st is my removal day!! **clapping hands**

I had my third and, glad to say, final consultation today with Dr. Gary Hall. It was a quick and painless process. Basically, he'd cut around my original inframammary scar, through the muscle, drain the implant, remove it, and sew up the new incision. Easy peasy. He was so... genuine and very friendly. I never got a judgmental vibe from him or his nurse, Shauna. Neither of them asked if I was sure I didn't want to replace my implants, nor did Dr. Hall tell me that I wouldn't like my outcome. That is huge to me!!
Now it's just a waiting game until I have enough money to pay cash and a couple of weeks off work. : )

Removal date is moved up!!

I was getting impatient so I opted to move things around. I changed my vacation time at work, along with my removal date, which is now Sept. 9th. I'm going to Dr. Hall's office tomorrow to pay then I'm 100% set to go! I can not wait!!

Everything is good to go!

Just received a call from the surgery center. All the bases are covered. It's hitting home know that I'll be boobless after 8:00 Tuesday morning. Lol. Eeeeeek!!!

They. Are. Outta. Here. ; )

What to say, what to say? The implants are gone and my boobies are non-existent. Lol. I don't think I could feel any better about that! My fiancé and I woke up at 5:30 this morning to get ready for the day. Once we arrived at the surgery center, at 6:30, everything went like a machine. Everyone, from the lady at the front desk to the surgical
staff, and of course my surgeon, was magnificent! I felt very well taken care of! I changed into hospital attire, plopped down in the hospital bed, IV was started, and went over every aspect if the surgery with each individual that had a part. I couldn't have asked for a better group to be taking care of me today. I don't remember it being such a friendly environment when I had my implants put in. Although, that was 12 years ago... Lol. I digress. I was taken back to the actual surgery area around 7:30 and then it was lights out. I woke up in recovery around 8:15. When I woke up I could immediately tell a huge difference. I felt, and still feel, amazingly light! I was sent home around 9:00 with a narcotic rx just in case but I haven't even had to have any Tylenol. Probably won't be filling that one. : ) I layed down in bed around 9:45-10 and I've been sleeping off and on since. Just beat from the anesthesia I think. I'm not having any pain whatsoever. It's crazy! Just a very airy feeling from the weight being gone. I think I was expecting it to be similar to implanting, the incredibly sore muscles and being looped out if my mind all day. This is a such a welcomed feeling!! I couldn't be happier that I decided to do this. Now I wanna go for a run!! ; )

Day 1 post op : )

Well, it's been a full 24 hours since the explant and I still feel fantastic! I took a shower this morning and, to be honest, I was nervous unwrapping the ace wrap. I wasn't sure what to expect. I removed my wrap and just giggled!! Although they look lifeless and sad, I still have what resembles my old shape which is a total surprise! I was expecting nothing at all or concave. I do have a puffy area underneath my actual breast, around the incision. I'm not sure if that's fluid, stretched skin, or just the incision itself. I called my surgeon's office and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll just use an ice pack until I hear something.

Phantom limb? More like phantom boob.

Hello! Not much to update in the way of visual changes. Still feeling great and haven't had to take any meds. I did notice last night my left incision area started feeling a little irritated, with a slight burning sensation. I'm thinking it was from the ace wrap sticking to the steri-strip and tugging it a little. All is well this morning though. The little squishy areas are still there and look exactly the same. I do find myself still trying to adjust and move my "breasts" when I'm laying down. Lol. I'll roll over on either side and try to pull it out from underneath my ribs. That was one of the things I couldn't stand about my implants. Now, when I do this, I laugh inside because there is NOTHING there. Lol. Another great discovery from my shower this morning: I can now shave my underarms without there being a deep pocket in my right armpit. My right implant had shifted so when I raised my arms I had a cavern of an armpit. Lol. Not anymore!! It really is the little things in life... ; )

3 days post op

Well, ladies, I feel like I should update but not much has changed. I'm just poking around the house, doing laundry, and random cleaning projects. I've noticed my energy level is a little depleted. I figure if I get up and move around then that will wear off soon.... I hope. I've posted some pics today. I feel like a little bit of fluid has been absorbed since two days ago. Mostly on the left side, the right still looks pretty full. I bought a new sports bra from target. I've been wearing it over my ace bandage for a little extra compression. Gotta speed this process up somehow. ; )

More pics to add to last update

One week down...

Hi! It's been exactly one week since my explant surgery. I couldn't be happier. I had my first follow-up appt, yesterday. My surgeon confirmed that the puffiness isn't actually fluid, like I thought. It's just extra skin that will need time to contract. He said everything looks great and to follow-up again in a month. After my second follow-up I shouldn't need to be seen again. He did tell me that while I was in surgery one of the nurses said "she's gonna want something back in there." I told him, after a slightly uncomfortable giggle, "I don't think so. It feels way too good without implants." He just nodded and smiled. It's a nice feeling being completely comfortable in my own skin. It's amazing being flat and weightless. Lol. I wish I had this feeling of myself when I was 24...

Over the past few days, since my last update, I've been taking it easy... for the most part. My fiancé and I went on a 4 mile walk (he ran) Sunday afternoon. It was so nice to get out of the house. Seems like it's been months... Lol. Yesterday evening we helped a friend move, and I think I may have lifted too much a little too soon. The muscles in my shoulders, underarms, and biceps are a little tender today. : / I'll take the soreness as a friendly reminder that I should workout more often. ; )
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Meeting Dr. Hall was a refreshing experience. From the minute he walked into the room, at my consultation, he was very friendly. He wasn't judgmental, and made the process very comfortable. He didn't push me to reconsider replacing my implants. He went through the steps of my procedure and was straight to the point. Meeting, and talking with, Dr. Hall was a very welcomed change from the other consultations is had.

Helping someone move?! Wow! I'm so impressed with your healing.
Yeah... Lol. Although I never did have any pain after the explant I probably shouldn't have lifted as much as I did. My muscles where sore the next day. Oops! It's crazy because I've worked at FedEx for almost 10 years, and I lift, pull, and push packages all day and I'm never sore but, being off for a week my muscles have gotten lazy. Lol.
So happy for you. Our bodies are naturally beautiful and you look great. I am due for explant oct 27 .
Thank you! At this point in my life I can honestly say that i wholeheartedly agree with you. : ) I wish you the best of luck in Oct! : D
Everyone looks so good in all of the pictures I see. I wish someone would put some up that don't look so good. I've had my silicone implants for 30yrs, I have BakersIV capsular contraction in both, with a extracapsular rupture in the Right. I just want them out with a lift and no replacement, but the Dr. says I will look deformed, and never want to show my breast again. I'm going to have them out but very nervous of the outcome. If anyone could post pics of horrible boobs I would appreciate it.
Carrie - you can do a search of ladies who feel "it was not worth it" under breast implant removal. There are many stories on here where the Doctors told us that the outcome would be bad and that was not the case. Each person's journey and outcome is dependent on so many factors. I would encourage you to search the profiles - you will find the stories you are looking for. Having implants for 30 years is not good - they do have a shelf life and the breakdown of the bag does affect a woman's health. Keep us posted on your journey!
I will keep searching , and keep you updated . I am definitely getting them out without replacement , just very anxious about the outcome . Thank you for your suggestion .
Sonnybutters - you look adorable!!! Healing quite beautifully but DO NOT OVERDO it - are you crazy woman???!!! No more moving boxes silly woman! REST - take it easy!
Thank you!! I know, I know. ; ) Lol. I just feel so fantastic that I need to get on with it. I do have to go back to work on Monday and that's what I do, move boxes (FedEx courier). Helping a friend move was my test to see if I'm actually ready. ; ) Not really, I probably should have waited but, when duty calls... ; )
Congratulations on your decision. You look great. I appreciate you sharing your journey.
Thank you, Truthfulandfree!!
YEAH!!!! You look so so good! Hoping to look that great when all is said and done:)
Thanks, 2727!!! I have a feeling you'll look great! I haven't seen anyone on here that doesn't look amazing after an explant, regardless of their outcome. It's all about being natural and, in my opinion, natural is always beautiful!
thank you so much for the updates. please continue to do so for all of us who haven't had the courage yet! you are inspiring!
You're very welcome, angelrose83, and thank you!!
How are you doing today? Any changes?
I'm doing great this morning. Thank you for asking. : ) My skin seems to be retracting more and more everyday. I'll update and post pics after I've taken a shower. ; )
Can't wait to see. I think our body types are very similar so I am always looking for post explant pics of ladies with tiny boobies!!!!
Awesome. I've been wondering too....and checking for your updates. :-)
Cool! Hope it helps! : ) I know how you feel, I only found maybe a handful of stories from tiny boobied ladies...
Sorry, I wasn't seeing enough of a change day-to-day. Plus, I haven't been doing too much to speak of? Lol.
You look great .take care :)
Thank you, Castillo2014!! : )
Yes, the fluff fairy is on her way!! Looking great!
Lol, thanks exhale!! : D