Painful and Gross, but WELL Worth It!

OK, I had this done 04/29. 05/01 my entire lower...

OK, I had this done 04/29. 05/01 my entire lower face was swollen so bad that I didn't even look like myself, but on the up side, I didn't take anything at all for pain that day.

It's 05/02 and I awake to see that the swelling is going down some, still there, but not nearly as bad. And the pain is pretty much gone. I began dabbing with a vinegar and water solution, as ordered by my doc, and I continue to apply ointment provided to me. I'll update more as I progress.

May 7th and day 8 after procedure and WOW!...

May 7th and day 8 after procedure and WOW! Alot of the scabs (gross) came off over night to reveal new pink skin.

As of now it looks as if I'm about 90-95% wrinkle free and the skin "seems" much tighter. My Doc told me that over the next few months the collagen production to this area would increase to even further the improvement. It looks as if another full week will be needed for the remainder of tissue to completely heal, but that is just my opinion based on how things look today. As always, I'll update more later. Feel free to ask questions.

I finally changed from a thumbs down to a thumbs...

I finally changed from a thumbs down to a thumbs up even though I have more healing to get behind me.

Hoping to change overall satisfaction to Very Good or Excellent in the near future.

May 11: I went back again today for another follow...

May 11: I went back again today for another follow up visit. My Doc says everything looks like it's right on track. He recommended that I begin using Obagi Nu-Derm Clear along with Tretinoin .1% on my face avoiding the newly peeled eye area. This will help with the sun spots and uneveness of the skin tone. My next visit will be in 2 months and hopefully I will be good as new by then =] What's next (?), hmmmm, BOTOX in those hideous forehead lines! lol

Thanks for the positive comments, it means alot to have a support group, so to speak.

I had the Phenol Peel under and around the sides...

I had the Phenol Peel under and around the sides of my eyes as a follow up to my Bleph surgery. The procedure itself was a breeze, just a mild to moderate burning sensation thanks to the numbing creme.

About an hour or so after the procedure I was in alot of pain. My whole face ached, even my teeth hurt. It's the morning after my procedure, I look very scary and I'm still in quite a bit of pain....which I clearly understand and expected. It's very hard to be positive about the unknown, but I remember feeling scared and unsure immediately after my Bleph also, so I'm going to kick back, relax, (as much as possible) and just wait.

I'm giving this a thumbs down...for now, but will update as the healing continues and hopefully change to a thumbs up.

Don't you just love BEFORE and AFTER pics? I mean...

Don't you just love BEFORE and AFTER pics? I mean they show you right before and then the after is always bright and new, BUT I wanted to share the DURING that is so often over looked. Hope this will give you a clearer idea of what happens BEFORE the AFTER! lol =]

Amazing.
wow great
the plastic surgeon probably could recommend something.
I did not use any makeup or cover, just wore large sunglasses. When the skin is raw and trying to heal,protect it with something like Topricin or Catrix and just cover up.
I have to be back to work at a little I've 3 weeks. 3 weeks and 4 days to be exact and I meet and greet clients. Sun glasses is not a good look. Surely make up will be ok at this point? If so any suggestions?
Any particular cover up that covers the red?
Dermablend Professional Smooth Indulgence Foundation! It's the best! You can find it at Ulta and if there isn't an Ulta in your area, on line at Ulta. I had my entire face done 2 years ago and was out in public in 10 days with Dermablend. I love my results! May I ask what city you live in? It is hard to find doctors that recommend phenol here in Dallas. They all recommend Laser.
Arkansas... Dr Jim English Your right, all the dr. I went to said the laser except him. He showed me pictures of the phenol peel and the results were amazing at half the cost. I do have one more question for you though. He is only doing around my eyes. Looks like you did that first but you went back and did the whole face? Did you have any demarcation lines with just the eyes?
At the last minute, I decided to do the whole face. I was afraid of demarcation lines. I'm blonde blue eyed, but as I've gotten older, I'm really a Burnett! My mother is a natural red head. She has done just under the eyes probably 3 times over the years out in San Diego. Her doctor retired and now she can't find anyone to do it. She was not put under any anesthetic. Here in Dallas they insist on anesthetic. Will your doctor use anesthetic, to put you under? That brings the cost way up. I paid 4k.
Make that a brunette! Love spell check!
Yes he will but I am having a brow lift as well. I think dr are turning to the laser now. I am also a red head but with green eyes.
just some IV sedation, valium. I had it done the first time 25 years ago for acne scars by a derm who specialized in it, who gave me only IM demerol and it was painful! I have to pay an extra $250 for anesthesiologist for 2 hours. Would rather not have the pain.
I am getting ready to do the phenol peel around my eyes. Can anyone tell me the best make-up to cover the pinkness and blend in with the rest of the face. According to what I read some of the make up shows the flaky dry skin so you have to be carful what you puchase. Please advise.
Hi, just ran across your pics as i am doing some research. I am interested in where you had your peel and how you are doing now. Could you share? I've had a few light laser peels, no scabs or pus, and no real results with crepey lower eyelid skin. thanks and your eyes look beautiful!
I really appreciate the pictures! My doctor here in Dallas recommended around the eye area and around the mouth area. Did you have trouble seeing after the procedure? Also, since you did a fairly large area around the eyes, do you have a significant demarcation line? I am fair complected, much like you, but not as white as my red headed mother. She has done the eye area 3 times over the years, and she looks fabulous! I am concerned about the demarcation line and am contemplating doing the entire face. Would you have considered that? Knowing what you know now?
Cindy,
The results from the Phenol Peel were good, but I would never do that again! Without makeup, it looks like I tanned while wearing sunglasses. Even with makeup, I have to strategically place my blush in order to conceal it. Maybe having the entire face done would remedy that problem, but I can not imagine going through the entire face, when the under eye area was awful!
That helps a great deal! Thanks!!! If I could have half the good results you got I would be thrilled! I have WAY more wrinkling when I smile than you did in the before pic and still have them when I am not smiling. A phenol peel was recommended by a dermatologist and I have been thinking about it for a while. I have had wrinkles and festoons under my eyes since I can remember- teens or younger- must be genetic. I have hated them for as long as I can remember too. It would be a miracle for me to have a peel that could give me smooth skin under my eyes like you have. I don't like the wrinkles when I smile, but they stay even when I am not smiling. I have pics under my profile that I used to ask the doctors questions and I think you may be able to see them in my profile. You look amazing and I thank you for sharing your journey with all of us here on Realself!
My doctor explained it to me like this: The Bleph was like taking sheets out of dryer and placing them tightly on the bed. The "sheets" being your skin, would be tighter, but the wrinkles would still be there. I think the peel in conjuction with the Bleph warranted more favorable results, but I aint gonna' lie, the phenol peel was HELL! I had that ugly crapey skin under my eyes that were very visible without smiling, so I know exactly what you mean.
I haven't logged on in quite awhile, but wanted you all to know that the bleph the picture listed as before and 6 weeks after was for the peel only. Yes, I still had those wrinkles before AFTER the bleph surgery. Hope this helps. =)
I want to know how much of the results were from the phenol peel itself and how much was from the eye surgery. I am thinking about the peel and wanted to know if the change - before to after - was due just the phenol peel or from the eye surgery AND the phenol peel.
You look wonderful! I too have wrinkles under my eyes and some festooning as well. Had you already had the surgery when the "before" photo was taken?
I'm guessing she hadn't had the procedure before the photo was taken, which is why it's listed as "before"...
The before and after pics are before the phenol peel ony. I underwent the bleph surgery the month prior to this. Hope this helps =)
Jen I just had my peel done, 10/21, Your results are unbelievable, and I am hoping for the same. Thanks for posting your experience it gave me so much in site as to what to expect. my biggest fear is wanting to my upper lip. your final picture looked fantastic, I hope your are still happy and doing well. Cheers, ~Linda
Linda, How was your results of your phenol peel? I love Jen's results and thinking of getting it done myself.