Revision Rhinoplasty and Removal of 8 yr old Malar Cheek Implants-Ottawa, ON

Hi everyone, I am scheduled to have a revision...

Hi everyone, I am scheduled to have a revision rhino and a fat transfer to my cheeks on Oct 23, 2013. I am having lots of last minute hesitations with respect to the fat transfer. I had my cheek implants done when I was 24 and incredibly stupid. Now 7 years later they have shifted slightly and in my opinion are very uneven. I asked my new DR (not the same DR who performed my cheek implants) to remove them and he said he wouldn't recommend it. He then suggested a fat transfer to make my cheeks more symmetrical. Oh yes, before the cheek implants I had my buccal fat pads removed. My new DR said that procedure coupled with cheek implants is a terrible combination and accelerates the aging process considerably. I am curious to find out if anyone has had a similar experience or decision to make. Thank you.

Thanks so much for starting your story on RealSelf! Did your doctor say why he recommended not removing the implants?

I'd love to be able to visualize what you're describing and reviews with photos do increase engagement with other community members, so please consider posting pics.

We are here for you through this process!

I won't be posting any more pics to this site. As suggested by this site when asking a Dr question posting a pic will generate faster answers. I posted a picture to illustrate the problem and to get a faster answer. While separately researching my query on Google I came across the picture I posted for the Dr on this site under Google images.

Day 3 Post OP

In the end I decided to have my cheek implants removed. Dr. Brownrigg was amazing through the whole process. We also did a revision rhinoplasty. I am so swollen it is hard to see results at this time. I think I made the right decision and am really looking forward to seeing the results.

1 Week Post OP

Unsure if I made the right decision with respect to implant removal. The swelling distorts any hope I have of seeing exactly how my face will look without the giant cheek implants.
We took the cast off my nose yesterday and it looks much bigger than before. I know again the culprit is "swelling" but it takes some getting used to. My revision was complicated.. one side of my tip was very small and the other side was much larger. My nose was crooked and leaned to the right (as most of Dr. Kane's noses do).
To correct this my new Dr. had to graft some cartilage and do a bunch of other stuff. My biggest worry though for my nose is that it will still be asymmetrical with more cartilage on one side of the bridge than the other side. I think Dr. Brownrigg did a great job but 1 week post op is too early to draw any definitive conclusions.
Now about my cheeks. I have been searching for any info in regard to removing cheek implants. I was shocked at the lack of information out there.
I decided to remove the implants because they were uneven one was much higher and placed further out than the other. As I aged the implants became more visible. Apparently buccal pad removal and cheek implants is not a good combination (Dr's now know this but apparently they did not know this when I got my cheek implants put in 6 months after I had my buccal pads removed).
The swelling from cheek implant removal is incredible. I look like I had impacted wisdom teeth pulled but the front of my mid face is also extremely swollen. Once the swelling subsides I will have the potential of "sagging cheeks" because the implants were a large size and I have had them in for 8 years.
I will update you with respect to swelling and other issues as they arise. Please feel free to ask questions.
I will get some pics together to post but will ensure that the pics are edited. (See comments below)....
hi nikk, how r u now? How was the result of cheek removal? Sagging ? I also live in Canada too. I have my cheek implants 4months ago, I want to remove it as I can't smile normally , and my face is sagging after the implant . Would u please reply me? Thank you !
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon