Effective but Very Slow Process - Orono, ME

I have PCOS, so I've had hair on my upper lip...

I have PCOS, so I've had hair on my upper lip pretty much all my life. I used to be able to bleach it using Sally Hansen's products, but the hair eventually grew so thick and long that it was still highly visible even after bleaching. I ended up going to an electrolysis; she charges $35/15 minutes or $50 for half an hour. I've gone every one or two weeks for nearly a year now. The hair is only 75% gone, but much less visible. It can be a long and frustrating process. She uses a rather old-school machine (the flash type of electrolysis) rather than the blend method. I did go to another electrologist once, but she burned me badly and caused hyperpigmentation (dark spots) on my skin. I've already spent so much money on this, but I guess I'll be going to my biweekly appointments until the hair's gone.

*To add to my annoyance, a patch of chin hair showed up about a year ago. I swear, this never ends! I'm not even going to touch that until I get the hair on my upper lip completely removed.

I just wanted to update this post -- it's been...

I just wanted to update this post -- it's been about 2 years since my first appointment, and I'm now 90% hair-free on my upper-lip. I've been vigilantly going to my 2x a month appointments the last two years, so god knows how much I've spent on this. Unfortunately, I do believe that this is the only permanent solution, so it's worth the money.

My Electrolysist told me that hairs that appear on your top lip/chin/neck/chest should NEVER be plucked or waxed. This is because they are caused by hormonal imbalances and actually have extra roots which can only be removed by electrolysis. Mine zapped a hair and pulled it out and showed me these strange white roots hanging off it, quite eerie looking!. Normal plucking or waxing will just leave this extra root in your skin and it grows bigger and stronger. Electrolysis is a painful and long process, but I'm not the bearded lady anymore so it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. (If only I'd done it sooner, sigh..) To achieve a good outcome : - Find a properly trained Electrolysist, mine has certification from a school in London. - The sooner you see an Electrolysist after a hair/hairs pop up on your lip/chin/neck/chest, the fewer treatments you will need to eliminate those hairs. Think of it this way, everytime you pluck the hair, it needs 2-3 more treatments to remove it. - Before your first treatment, buy a numbing gel and dry antiseptic powder. - 15 minutes before treatment, take a painkiller and apply a topical numbing gel 15 mins - After your first few treatments, you should avoid getting that area wet for 2 days to prevent getting red sores. Antiseptic should be used, but apply a powder antiseptic, not a liquied. - Apply a hair retardant gel after, although I only started doing this after about my 6th electrolysis treatment when my skin had become less susceptible to getting sore. Makes a BIG difference. - Cut or lightly shave the hair when they first appear or in between treatments, NEVER pull out hair. Good luck, I hope you end up as happy as me !
Hi, do u know what machine did she used? I did my pubic area( see my profile) it hurts so much! How it was painful for u?
The least painful machines are the Apilus machines in flash mode. They are fairly effective. The Blend method is painful in nearly every machine, but it's a faster road to permanent removal.
Your post gave me hope. I am 10 hours in to my bikini line and it's taking foreverrrrrr. I'd say I've been going every time the hair appears like every 2-3 weeks for 6 months..
I did electrolysis for about year and a half, I had blond hair and I needed to color it so she can see:) it will take long but it worth it trust me! I don't have hair anymore( only 2-3 left that I am planning to remove) how u manage the pain?:(
Thanks so much for sharing. I'm seeking out a good electrologist in my area for treatments..I don't have PCOS supposedly, yet I have all the symptoms. It's been a rough road. I've tried laser on my face, but it doesn't work. Hopefully I can start treatments soon :( Once again thanks for sharing, wish you all the best
Still check a testosterone level for hormonal imbalance and a HbsA1c level for occult diabetes if you are overweight . Obesity can impair insulin effectiveness and also cause hormonal imbalance which will improve with weight loss and a reduction of simple carbs. Exercise daily also. Check these out with your doctor or a metabolic specialist-endocrine, metabolism.
As someone who has the same issues as Mainer84, I have discovered that, while painfully slow, electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal out there. at least something can be done!

Awe, sorry to hear what a frustrating experience this has been for you. I'm assuming you don't like getting the hair waxed off & were looking for a more permanent solution, is that correct?

Also, have you considered trying laser hair removal? I'm doing that on my under arms right now...we'll see if it works. Hair in the "wrong" places is the worst, isn't it?!

While laser is beneficial, the FDA only recognizes it as permanent hair *reduction*, not removal.

Are you tweezing while getting the electrolysis done? I've been considering electrolysis for an area of particularly coarse hair on my chin... do hairs occasionally come back or cause ingrowns?

Laser hair removal is not permanent at all electrolysis is supposed to be over. A long period of time
Laser is not permanent and actually can stimulate fine hair to grow dark and coarse.
if you are prone to ingrowns-yes, but the electoligist will remove them and I used exfoliating products. Properly treated hairs do not come back-they are dead. But there can be multiple hair producing follicles especially if you have tweezed or plucked. You have millions of follicles on your face at various stages of growth and only those hairs that are actively growing can be treated. you will see resting hairs move into the active phase and think that these are the old hairs, they are not. That is why electrolysis takes so long.