Tram Flap Breast Reconstruction Results

Why: Breast Reconstruction post Mastectomy. I...

Why: Breast Reconstruction post Mastectomy.

I would like to find out what type of results I shoould have expected. Have other people had this procedure using the Gummy implants? Do other people still experiance pain. What can be done to coreect the uneven appearance of my breast? Can the empty area in the upper portion of my breast/armpit area/cleavage area be filled?

I have had a tram flap breast reconstruction with poor results.I had this procedure done in May of 2009. I have no tissue on the upper portion of the breast. The reconstruction was done useing the gummy implant. I am in the trials for the gummy implant. What if anything can be done to fill in the hollow in the upper portion of the breast? The implant looks as if it is just sitting on my chest. Has anyone else had reconstuction with this type of implant? I have pain on the side of my breast that seems to me to be due to the hard/firm implant. I have discomfort after wearing a bra for more than three hours, is this a normal problem after this type of surgery? My other concern is maybe harder to answer, how do insurance companies decide if you have had a good outcome from surgery? What type of results should I have expected?

I haven't been on this site since my origional...

I haven't been on this site since my origional post January of 2010. I checked a few times after my post but no replys. I'm so happy to see that so many women have joined and shared their experiances.
Its lovely that you have all had someone to chat with.
I have almost finished my reconstruction, I just need to accessorize. Actually I'ge not even made up my mind about that. Ive been without for three years now and I'm not sure if its worth one more surgery. I suppose I should just go ahead and do it and make it an even ten surgeries.
oh well I will think about that tomorrow.
Again happy to see all the posts that followed mine and very happy to know that you have all had each other to chat with.

Nice Kind Professional

I had a horrible experience with my tram flap reconstruction. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I broke open on my abdomen about 1 inch deep, 1 inch up and down, and 3 inches across. I broke open around both breast and had large holes in the openings also. I couldn't heal with the saline soaked gauze the surgeon was having me use. I went to my primary care physician. She wanted me to sunbathe nude (I live in town) so I ended up buying a heat lamp and attaching it to the back of a dining room chair and laid on the floor under it so I wouldn't burn. I soon could see I was going to heal. I have no tummy muscles (they used mesh) so I roll out of bed. I have no definition between my breasts and my stomach. I am round like a barrel. I have no waist and my navel is not where it used to be and excuse me but my public area is huge now! If I wear clothes that fit my butt, then they cut me in half. If I wear clothes that fit my waist, then I have baggy butt. I have large fatty areas under my arms and have nothing above my breasts; I am concave. It is hard to find tops that look nice. I am 13 yrs. past my surgery. I have an appt. with a different plastic surgeon and am wondering if with the new strides they have made in implants if that is a way for me to go. I do not want to be any larger. I am fine with that. To use an implant does the Dr. have to make me larger or does he take out tissue to make me the same? Can the area that is concave be fixed? Am I in for a lot of pain? If I get an implant, can I lie on my stomach? Can I take hits/blows to the chest without them breaking? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Helen,
Are you resdy to begin interviewing surgeons for possible reconstruction? When you speak with them, they will discuss your options with you. Best to know what is available to you based on your personal situation. Then you can make an educated decision. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will find good resources here to support you . xo
Hi Beverly, I don't really have a care team yet so not sure where to go next. Reading the experiences on this site has helped alot I feel more informed and when I make a decision I will no what to expect! I may be limited to what options I choose! A Tram flap maybe to invasive for me and I would be more at risk of infection having a lowered immunity.........Helen.
I put my reply in the wrong place. It is just above here.
Hi Becca, I'm new to this site and have also found it helpful to read through other's experiences. But I am finding it hard to be able to make a decision on where to go next after having a bilateral mastectomy. I have been reading alot of stories of where things have gone bad and some have had alot of pain after their procedures so it's sort of put me off going for a reconstrution. Could I ask if you are pleased with your final outcome? Look forward to hearing from you! Helen.
Bore1,
Welcome to our community.
Have you discussed reconstruction with your care team? Your physicians will advise you on what options are available to you based on your individual situation. I opted for a pedicled tram flap. It is a process, but I am very pleased with the outcome. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about my experience. Exploring your options will give you the confidence to make the right decision for you. xo .
Hi Helen,
I had a bilateral masectomy in July. I started reconstructio in September and am now finished! I couldn't be more pleased with my pefect breasts. Yes, there is some pain and discomfort involved but for me, it was well worth it. Whayever decision you make will be the right one. Take your time!

Jane
Hi Jane, I'm really amazed that the whole process went so well for you! How did you get on when your PS placed the breast expanders in? My chest feels really tight, I feel slighty worried about that bit. Helen
That was the most painfull part for me! I felt like my chest was going to explode! Pain pills helped me through that!
Becca,
We are all in this together. The decision to have another surgery is yours to make with your doctor. Whatever you decide, I will be happy to support you in whatever way I can. xo
Becca, you have been through alot, but I would encourage you to go with your gut feeling on having surgery again.

I do have a friend that had the same type reconstruction as you and the outcome was horrible! She has now decided to have them re-done and her insurance is paying for it. She is really excited about it and she has endured brain cance also. We are all here for you whatever you decide!
Is there anyone with anything positive to say about the gummy bear surgery? All I see are about people that want their implants taken out.

Hi Beth,

Glad to hear your reconstruction is almost complete - that is wonderful! I'm sorry to hear you didn't feel you were as involved in the conversations that were going on here as you would have liked, but I am glad that you picked up on the fact that there are amazing women on here that love to support each other. We would love nothing more than for you to be more involved in the conversations, and sometimes the only way to do that is to take a more proactive approach. You are welcome to go and post on others reviews and participate in the forums. Some reviews get much more conversation around them. It doesn't mean they are better, more liked, or anything of the sort, its just simply that conversations started on them, and so the ladies continue to comeback to share in that conversation.

We are here for you Beth, please don't be shy to jump into the conversations - we would love to have you in them!! :)

Megan,
I'm sorry my post wasn't meant to imply that I wasn't getting attention.
I don't believe that many women were posting questions at the time I posted my questions about the tram flap procedure. I did not get any feedback at the time of my post but it was nice to see that so many women did actually benefit from the question and that a new forum was opened.
Megan,
I'm not sure if you noticed but my origional post was in January of 2010. It seems like member participation wasn't what it is now.
I was not complaining I was attempting to express how happy I was to see so many conversations that followed that origional post.
So many conversations that I wasn't aware of. Many many women helped what a wonderful forum. I'm again so happy to see what has happened on this site. Quite a difference two years makes.
Beth
So Becca, what are your thoughts concerning reconstruction again? I don't want to intrude, I had good results and want that for all survivors!

Yes, we are really encouraged by the growth too. It is wonderful seeing all the ladies supporting each other. Please continue to spread the word about RealSelf - we don't want anyone going through their procedures feeling alone!

Please see my earlier reply above.

Hi Becca -- Thank you for sharing your story. I'm really sorry to hear you're disappointed with your results so far but hopefully you will continue to get the help you need from your doc and insurance company.

In addition to asking your questions here, you may also want to post on our Doctor Q&A Forum for a professional opinion.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

Becca are you having any problems with your gummy bears? Problems like these women are talking about? This is what I was interested in, but they have made me very afraid. I too had the tram flap and have always been unhappy. ONE of the things I want done is to fix the hollow area above my breasts and to have definition between my breasts and my stomach (my bra goes over my breasts when I raise my arms).
I also have pain from wearing a bra, but with just the tram flap I think it is scar tissue.