Halfway Through Invisalign - Oregon

So so far I am happy with the results of my...

So so far I am happy with the results of my Invisalign treatment. The treatment process has been questionable, but I think I will really be happy with the final results. My teeth are so much better than before! I am on Tray 8 of 16.

Cons:
I am doing my treatment with a dentist, but I probably would recommend an ortho. My dentist doesn't seem as knowledgeable as I would like.
Make sure your dentist is actually in town! Several times I was scheduled for a new tray and they would be out of town for a week!!! This delayed my treatment on three occasions.

IPRs, ask how many and which ones. My dentist said "a few" but that meant almost every upper tooth on the left side. I think it looks fine, but I wasn't prepared and it was a traumatic experience for me. No pain, but the idea of teeth being shaved really freaked me out and I did start crying in the office. Also ask them to show you which teeth they are doing it on. My dentist started doing them on the wrong teeth!! When I asked him what he was doing, he pointed to the screen and said "those ones". I was like, "you are on the wrong side!" He promptly went to the correct teeth, but that could have been so terrible!

My dentist has had to order new sets of trays because my teeth were not tracking properly. I really think this was due to him not placing several buttons correctly.

It is annoying to constantly have to brush after eating. I am busy at work, often eating while doing something else. It is a pain to have to drop everything to go brush.

Taking them out in social settings can be awkward, and always going to the bathroom to put them in has led some people to think I have an eating disorder (going to the bathroom to throw up).

Pros:
Even with the buttons most people don't notice. This might be because I don't have a very toothy smile, and when I talk my teeth don't show that much. I have had a couple people notice once I was outside in direct sun "Hey you have something on your teeth", lol.
I can eat whatever I want.
I don't find them painful. New trays can be uncomfortable but not painful.
I can see my progress easily.
I can use the trays for whitening.
I could take them off for my wedding.
I didn't have to have teeth removed which is what would have happened with traditional braces.

THanks for your review! I completely agree that it's better to go to an experienced orthodontist than a dentist. At least your treatment is still on course now. As long as the trays keep fitting properly it means your teeth are moving as they should be. You're actually lucky that when your treatment went off track your dentist made new trays for you, mine had me keep going with trays that didn't fit properly and I ended up wasting a lot of time. I completely understand how you feel about eating in social situations! I'm sure a lot of people thought something was wrong with me because whenever anyone offered me cake/snacks at work I always had to say no (even though I'm really skinny and really don't need to be on a diet), and I was always going to the bathroom in restaurants. It makes it worse because some people don't notice you're having invisalign so they don't understand why you're doing it, and you don't really want to make a big deal about it and have to explain to everyone that you're going to the bathroom to clean your teeth. So there are for sure some inconveniences and awkward moments. But it's worth it if your treatment is working and your teeth are moving. Good luck!

Your teeth look great! Thank you so much for sharing the photos!

What a comprehensive review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story on RealSelf. I'm glad this is worth it for you so far and please keep us posted as you continue to work through the trays!