don't do it!!! - Orange Park, FL

This was a huge mistake!! My teeth were a bit...

This was a huge mistake!! My teeth were a bit crowded and I had a slight overbite. I am 45 and I noticed the poster for 6 month smiles in my dentist's office. I have had my dentist for over 10 years and overall have been very satisfied. He gave me the preliminary exam and said I was a candidate, but would have to have one tooth removed on the bottom. He said the gap would close within a month. I was excited to begin the process and thought by Thanksgiving I would be done. Well the gap with the missing tooth took more than two months to finally close. And TEN months later, it seems like they are still trying to close a gap that keeps shifting on the bottom. In the meantime, I developed an abscess on an upper back molar. I'm really not sure how my dentists didn't notice!!! I have gone every four months for cleanings and once a month for them to change the wires. Not to mention, several of the clear brackets have broken off or wires have popped out etc. I have now been seen by an endodondist who says the infection has been there about a year!!!! Having the root canal done with brackets on has been complicated. I am still not done and need a second root canal. Meanwhile I am scheduled to go back in two weeks for the braces and my bottom teeth still have a gap. The center one is pushed slightly farther than the others and some teeth are still rotated slightly in an angle. My kids have all had traditional braces and have amazing smiles. I have spent almost a year in braces and my smile will not even come close to the perfection that traditional braces can accomplish. This is really not what I envisioned when I started this process. I have spent almost a year in this system and realize I would be half way done with traditional braces by now. Waste of time, waste of money and let them pull a healthy tooth. Lesson learned the hard way.

More bad news

Just had a second treatment to finish a root canal. While getting my third shot, the dr. stopped because he finally realized why my healing process has been so slow. Somehow there is a bone fragment floating around in my gum area trying to work it's way out. I'm guessing when the initial work was done to pull a healthy tooth and add the appliances, some damage occurred. Now I will need oral surgery.

Almost one year later for 6 month smile

Todays visit

Got the top braces taken off this morning and the bottom are still a work in progress. It has been more than a year! The retainer is clear and I will have to wear it solid for three to four months. But when I look at the top, although they are straight, it is very narrow. My husband said it actually looks like my teeth are caving inward. I am going to start researching another orthodontist who can hopefully help me out. Three thousand dollars gone and too much time wasted with the six month smile plan that should be called "POSSIBLE 6 months smile!"
Michael D. Vanover, DDS

Most of the work done on my braces has been done by the women in the office. Everyone is nice and makes sure you are comfortable. But throughout this whole process, I have felt like I was a guinea pig. I have never felt like they were confident in what they were doing. All the appointments took much longer than I had ever anticipated and it always seemed like they were struggling to get the appliances on correctly. Many times the wires or brackets would break shortly after a visit. Sometimes they get everything finished up and he comes and looks to see if she has everything in place, only to find out we need to take it off and start again. Today's appointment at the 10 month mark took 2 hours!