EVLA - Things Got a Million Times Worse - Orange County, CA

I had a bulging vein at the back of my calf, so I...

I had a bulging vein at the back of my calf, so I went to check it out. Sometimes my leg would ache if I sit through a 3 hour long lecture, for example, long, unpleasant dull pain. The doc said something was wrong in the vein, needed to be removed, said it should be done with laser. Okay. First 2 weeks post-op were regular weeks, as they are described in all EVLA/ EVLT brochures. Bruising, pain (but tolerable), etc. A month later hell started, when all the bruising was gone, all the stockings were supposed to be removed, and supposedly a great life should have begun. The leg began aching non stop, with new, nasty aches I never knew before, literally EVERYWHERE - thigh and groin: dull pulling, sometimes pulsating, sometimes throbbing, "uneasy", "tired" kind of pain. Under knee - sharp, sudden pulses. Calf - as if something was crawling under it. Worst of all would be the thigh/groin and the foot - the foot is sometimes killing me, I can't stand on it for a long time. Mostly the heel area and the ankle. This one is the pain that makes you run for the strong pain killers. I went to urgent care after one night when my foot started swelling (i NEVER had swollen feet/legs ever before, even with varicose veins), they did u-sound on me, fearing the DVT, but that was not the case. I made an appointment with another vascular doctor, which is not until in a month, because was just not happy with the treatment I was receiving at the office I had the surgery done, also I am quite upset at how things went, straight downhill. What used to be some occasional discomfort turned into non stop debilitating pain/condition that makes me wonder what on earth has the doctor done to me. It has been 3 months since the EVLA and 2 months of this so called agony. I am on pain killers and in compression hose non stop - seriously, I only take it off when I have to shower, it is ridiculous. Legs look normal - but I know for a fact that the doc injected the bulging one, so this was not the EVLA that removed the bulge.

I'm glad you went to urgent care to see if you had a DVT.  I'm sorry you are dealing with so much pain and discomfort.  It sounds like your current doctor's office isn't being very helpful about helping you with the pain, is that right?  Let us know what you find out at the new doctor.

Thanks for sharing on RealSelf.

3 months after the EVLT

3 months later the pain is there non stop, now it seized the foot and I can only stand on the tip of my foot, the arch and heel area are all in pain that only goes away for a few hours when I take strong pain killers, and I can't step on all of my foot. The sensation of under-skin crawling stopped. There is a weird ache in the thigh, back of it. The leg feels heavy as ten tons of bricks and tired all the time. Compression hose does not help much with the foot pain, but only some. Still no visible deviations - in terms of, skin looks the same, leg looks normal (but does not feel normal). There is a weird sensation in the left top of my foot (last three toes) as if it is always kind of numb and I can't feel it very well.

Oh I may add my veins are not due to being over weight, In fact I've been underweight all my life except pregnancy. My situation is hereditary
Thank you for sharing your story. I had EVLT after years of varicose veins which started when I was 18 (I'm now 34). I had them pulled/stripped/removed. They came back with a vengeance so again weeks before my wedding had them pulled. Then came my 3 baby's which made them worse so by this time EVLT came along. I have now had 3 EVLT treatments and due for another (September). Its great when you're over the recovery period but they're back worse then ever now! (Had them done in January) My Dr told me nothing will ever make them go away he also told me they veins run alongside a nerve and there's a risk of damage (which made me wonder if that happened to you) I now have a very sensitive top of foot and my ankle is numb. Just thought I'd share my story too. And to be honest I will keep trying treatments because my legs look horrible and I have not wore bare legs in 10 years

4 months later

I can step on my foot now, no more acute pain, but it comes and goes sometimes, but nothing of the scary dimension it was in June. I do have strange weird sensation in the left side of my foot (top part, where the toes are), sometimes as if it is frozen, or numb. I have unpleasant pain under my knee, towards the right part/side of it, it is pulling most of the time and very achy. Leg feels tired a lot, definitely does not feel like the other (healthy) leg. I biked for a long time last weekend and only the left (the EVLA) leg was achy like crazy, ache came from within somewhere, nagging, drawing type of pain. The right leg, the healthy one, was totally fine.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Dr. Duensing