EVLA - Things Got a Million Times Worse - Orange County, CA

I had a bulging vein at the back of my calf, so I...

I had a bulging vein at the back of my calf, so I went to check it out. Sometimes my leg would ache if I sit through a 3 hour long lecture, for example, long, unpleasant dull pain. The doc said something was wrong in the vein, needed to be removed, said it should be done with laser. Okay. First 2 weeks post-op were regular weeks, as they are described in all EVLA/ EVLT brochures. Bruising, pain (but tolerable), etc. A month later hell started, when all the bruising was gone, all the stockings were supposed to be removed, and supposedly a great life should have begun. The leg began aching non stop, with new, nasty aches I never knew before, literally EVERYWHERE - thigh and groin: dull pulling, sometimes pulsating, sometimes throbbing, "uneasy", "tired" kind of pain. Under knee - sharp, sudden pulses. Calf - as if something was crawling under it. Worst of all would be the thigh/groin and the foot - the foot is sometimes killing me, I can't stand on it for a long time. Mostly the heel area and the ankle. This one is the pain that makes you run for the strong pain killers. I went to urgent care after one night when my foot started swelling (i NEVER had swollen feet/legs ever before, even with varicose veins), they did u-sound on me, fearing the DVT, but that was not the case. I made an appointment with another vascular doctor, which is not until in a month, because was just not happy with the treatment I was receiving at the office I had the surgery done, also I am quite upset at how things went, straight downhill. What used to be some occasional discomfort turned into non stop debilitating pain/condition that makes me wonder what on earth has the doctor done to me. It has been 3 months since the EVLA and 2 months of this so called agony. I am on pain killers and in compression hose non stop - seriously, I only take it off when I have to shower, it is ridiculous. Legs look normal - but I know for a fact that the doc injected the bulging one, so this was not the EVLA that removed the bulge.

3 months after the EVLT

3 months later the pain is there non stop, now it seized the foot and I can only stand on the tip of my foot, the arch and heel area are all in pain that only goes away for a few hours when I take strong pain killers, and I can't step on all of my foot. The sensation of under-skin crawling stopped. There is a weird ache in the thigh, back of it. The leg feels heavy as ten tons of bricks and tired all the time. Compression hose does not help much with the foot pain, but only some. Still no visible deviations - in terms of, skin looks the same, leg looks normal (but does not feel normal). There is a weird sensation in the left top of my foot (last three toes) as if it is always kind of numb and I can't feel it very well.

4 months later

I can step on my foot now, no more acute pain, but it comes and goes sometimes, but nothing of the scary dimension it was in June. I do have strange weird sensation in the left side of my foot (top part, where the toes are), sometimes as if it is frozen, or numb. I have unpleasant pain under my knee, towards the right part/side of it, it is pulling most of the time and very achy. Leg feels tired a lot, definitely does not feel like the other (healthy) leg. I biked for a long time last weekend and only the left (the EVLA) leg was achy like crazy, ache came from within somewhere, nagging, drawing type of pain. The right leg, the healthy one, was totally fine.

7 months after EVLT

7 months after the ultrasound shows the vein re opened again. My leg feels worse than before the treatment, and it looks like the treatment did not help, on the contrary, it only made my situation worse, and to boot - it did not even close the vein! I keep having the memory flashes of the day of my surgery and how unresponsive the surgeon was, and it really felt like something was going wrong, but nobody told me anything, nor calmed me down in any way during the procedure. I had a bad feeling about that procedure during it and after. And I guess my gut feeling was not wrong. Now my leg swells about 5 days out of 7, which NEVER happened before. It aches in various places, throbbing pain, gnawing pain, dull pain - you name it. I became a wreck who always needs to wear special stockings. But even they don't help. The new doctor put me on Gabapentin, supposedly for that nerve that the first doctor damaged during the procedure and because of which I was losing feeling in my foot, and sometimes could not even step on it bc of sharp strong pain. Personally, I think all the pain I get in my foot comes when the foot swells. And it swells bc either the procedure was done wrong, or something else went horribly wrong.
Dr. Duensing