Turning 30 in a Week, Scheduled for Surgery in a Month, Has a 3 Y/o Daughter - Orange, CA

Hi, I have been doing research, reading...

Hi,

I have been doing research, reading experiences, forums and Q&A in this site. And I am thankful there is a site like this. I am turning 30 in a week, and I am scheduled for bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction on April 28. I am very nervous, scared and my anxiety level is getting high each day. I am petite only 5'1 in height and weighs 108 lbs. My pre-op appt is on April 7. I decided to write here to get some feedback and answers as to what to expect with this surgery and recovery time. Though I know my PS would discuss all this on my pre-op appt. I am worried about the recovery and all that because I have a 3 year old daughter. Sleeping at night after surgery makes me worry because she doesn't sleep unless I'm beside her.

Anyways, any feedback or comments will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

When you say immediate reconstruction are the tissue expanders being placed during the mastectomy or are you getting direct to implants ? Sleeping will be a challenge , you have to find a comfortable position while being slightly elevated and you will have drains in place. Personally sleeping with a young child I wouldn't advise it, you wouldn't want to jabbed at tender chest area. I slept on my couch for weeks head against the arm wit pillows, it was easier to get up wit out a lot of twisting your body .
Hi Trinall, thanks for you advice. Yes, my PS will place the implants right after mastectomy. Did you had tissue expanders or direct implants too? I am considering sleeping on my couch as well since my daughter is just all over our bed at night. I appreciate your comment.
I had expanders first , the couch or a chair would probably woke the best. I stayed propped on a lot of pillows after I got back to the bed after being on the couch. Good thing you will miss out on the expansion process, I considered that route but with radiation my PS didn't want that affecting the results if I had my implants before radiation .
I been reading a lot about the deal with expanders in this site. I'm glad your through with it. By the way, I just want to ask, what are the preparations you did before the mastectomy if you can still remember? I'm getting nervous each day.
I also forgot to say...I am 5'7 ish and on the larger side. So far...I am ok with how my TE look. If you look on this website you can see many woman of your size that have a wonderful outcome. Make sure you trust you surgeon and make sure this procedure is one he or she does a lot. This is a big surgery and you deserve the most experienced surgeon.
Hi MindyydniM. Thanks for sharing your experience. My PS is doing an immediate reconstruction. He will place the implants right after the mastectomy. He will use alloderm too. I am sorry about what you went through and glad that you are feeling much better now. Good luck with your exchange surgery. I hope all goes well.
Time makes it better. I am happy you don't have to have weekly fills...Good luck to you!
By the way, just want to ask, what are the preparations you did prior your mastectomy if you can still remember? Thanks
Do anything that you won't be able to for a while. It'd good to have help but there are things you may be particular about and want done the way u would do them. Do cleaning n laundry and fast food ideas. Have ur hospital bag packed , small travel items such as toothpaste,brushes,etc. Pack what is entertaining to you puzzle books r magazines I had my tablet. Don't really take valuables such as jewelry n talk before time where your items when be, would u trust them n the hospital r should a love one take ur items back n forth n to the room u would end up in. After you won't be able to lift over ur head n will have weight restrictions of what you can lift. Dress in lose comfortable clothes wit slip on shoes and wear button down shirts for a while. You may be bandaged for a while but after that you will probably be able to wear a sports bra Get one that closed in the front. Hanes r fruit of the loom has good cotton bras wit the closures down the front. I had on one n one of my pics I believe .
i did everything trinalll did and I had to get non child proof medicine bottles because I couldn't open the child proof lids! I had no strength...I was shocked
Thank you so much! I haven't thought about lose clothes after the surgery. That would be on top of my to-buy list.
Thank you so much! I will put this on my list as well. I'm getting scared/nervous as days goes by.
I am 31 and just had my bilateral reconstruction on Feb 5. I had immediate recon with tissue expanders and alloderm. My expanders were filed to 500cc at the time of my mastectomy. It was a lot for surgery. I will be honest with you. I was in pain ...so much pain. I couldn't lift anything fo 6 weeks...not bc my dr said...but because I physically couldn't. I went for weekly expansions of 60cc and for me..y expansions were so freakin painful...not during the fill but the night of and almost a week after. Jut about the time I would feel beter...I had another fill. My suggestion to you is fill low and slow. It has been almost 8 weeks and I am just now feeling better. I am done with my fills and my exchange surgery will be in June or July. As far as child care...I hope you can find help. WHo knows...you may breeze through it. I wasn't that lucky.