From 267 to 170....with Medifast

Hi all. Just heard about this forum and wanted...

Hi all. Just heard about this forum and wanted share my story in brief. Well, where to start? Always battled with weight. 8.9 lbs when born! I'm 37 now. Three years ago I was at my heaviest (267) and hit the end of my rope. I was always tired, got the eye rolls when I boarded planes, couldn't find clothes anywhere but Lane Bryant, and zero social life. Maybe someone here can relate? Anyhow, it was time. Oh, my stats. I should mention I'm 5'11 with moderate muscle mass, so ideal weight is noted as 165 on the charts. 3 yrs ago I was a size 24.

So it was time, and I thought I was so far gone I had to do bariatric surgery. I tried everything it seemed up to that point. Weight Watchers, Atkins, cabbage Diet, Slim Fast, you name it. I lived in DC at the time, and had an extremely stressful job, a 3 hour round trip daily commute, and long hours. Oh, and smoking a pack a day and drinking a pot of coffee before noon! Needless to say the clock was ticking. Fortunately, by some miracle, I didn't have any serious health issues yet like diabetes or high blood pressure, but it was just a matter of time. So, bariatric surgery was the solution I thought. I did the research and chose the vertical sleeve. I did all the prep nutrition classes, blood work, group sessions, etc and was right to the point of scheduling the surgery when I got cold feet and backed out. See, nutrition is soooo important for the bariatric patient after surgery for the rest of their lives. The bypass inhibits absorption quality, and the sleeve limits intake, so either one means supplements and protein and nutrient intake via shakes, liquid 'shooters', pills etc would be necessary on a daily basis for the rest of my life. It crossed my mind that what if there was a natural disaster or something that shut down the local stores, net, etc and I couldn't get my supplements for an extended period of time? That started me thinking about dependencies for survival that may risk my life if I forgot to stock up on things. Remember I had a chaotic life, and I often forgot or was just plain too tired to stock the pantry until Saturday rolled around and I realized I had no food in the house. So I backed out. I felt stuck, and a little depressed. Back to the drawing board. Then I found Medifast. Pricey (about $300/ month) but had a program that did all the thinking for me. I could set up auto-renewal shipments when I neared the end of my supplies. Best thing, was that it targets rapid weight loss, with peak nutrients, and speeding up the metabolism (unlike all the other diets I'd been on!). So I did it. It is EXTREMELY strict, and took a tremendous amount of will power, especially the first two months, but then it got easier. I was very fortunate to have supportive friends and family too, so when the holidays or events came around and I drank a protein shake and ate a small, dry salad while they all ate turkey or cake or whatever, they didn't lay on the guilt trips or pressure.

By month 2 I started exercising. Slow at first. All I could do was 2.7 with no incline on the tread mill! I was a mess, but I stuck with it and I'm so glad I did.

I lost 85 pounds in 6 months! I kept it off for a year, and decided it was time to explore plastic surgery to fix some problems that my weight had permanently created. I'm a size 12 now, and just had a tummy tuck and lipo in February (I'll post some pics shortly). When fully healed I may be down to a 10!!!!! Whoop whoop! :)

I wanted to share my journey in hopes that it may help someone else. It is doable! You can do it! You're beautiful, you're worth it, and you have the strength to do it! Good luck....

WOW!!! 85 lbs in 6 months is amazing. Congrats.
OMG! Your story is so awesome! It really touched me, I totally relate about not wanting to be social when you don't feel good about yourself. For me it was weight, but the giant breast I had made for many miserable summers. I got the big ol' eyes that said " Oh my God, look at her boobs" So I have to say yay for you thinking about your health in all situations, and realizing you didn't want to be dependent on something you couldn't readily get, Such an awesome choice and story! BTW, I surgically fixed the parts of my body diet and exercise would not, I'm much happier and feel empowered to reach my goals. Thank you for sharing!
Your story is real to me. I too am 5'11 size 18. I had lost some wait with Atkins, but have not kept it off. For this past week have been doing some research on Medifast... I tried to contact some 'life coach' to ask some real ?'s... but, no reply so far. So just today I was feel like maybe I should not invest in this pricey diet. I hope that you might be willing to answer about what foods are taste best. I am afraid that if they are HORRIBLE tasting I wont eat them (or get them down) but if they are tolerable I think I could do it. You look great, and the best thing is ... you have kept it off... and its been a life change. CONGRADS!!!!!!!
Hi Missy. Thanks for posting! :) I wouldn't say any of the meals I tried were horrible, but some certainly took a bit of getting used to. Remember, low salt, low sugar, high protein and fiber.....so, they were quite different from fast food, frozen meals, or anything from the store. Hard to recommend anything, since everyone's taste preferences are different, but I can tell you what I liked and didn't. Most of my meals were soup, oatmeal, shakes, eggs, and the desserts. I loved the wild rice and chicken soup. The blueberry oatmeal was my fav. Wasn't a fan of the eggs, but I ate them about twice a week for something different. The vanilla and chocolate shakes were my mainstays. Didn't like the banana too much, but they came with my auto-fill box, so I had them a couple times a week as well. And the puddings and brownies were my faves for dessert. The chocolate mint soft serve was tasty too. Didn't like the mango too much. So that was my MediFast pantry for over a year. Every evening, around 5, I'd have a big salad with something protein....like chicken or turkey or fish. Had tofu a few times too, and of course my treat....salmon! My salads were mostly kale or spinach, because they're packed full of nutrients. Hope this helps! Have to say it was worth it to me....but it took ALOT of will power and determination. Hard to end all restaurants, fast food, and grocery stores (all but the produce and fresh meat sections) full stop!!! I'm in maintenance phase now, but still really watching my intake. I'm increasing my calorie count VERY slowly, to see how my body responds. If it stays stable, I up it a little more. Right now I'm still only at 1600 calories, which for 5'11 is super low (as you know!), but will up again next month. Baby steps. The good thing is now I'm accustomed to being very picky about what I eat. No empty calories permitted here!! No diet sodas, no juices, no fired, etc. if you're ready to fight the fight....for YOU, I'd say rock it out and do it. It's definitely pricey, which is why I say 'if you're ready'. If you don't quite know if you are ready to go that extreme, I'd suggest trying this: get a supply of "INBAR" low glycemic protein bars and some Nature's Way "Metabolic Reset" protein powder. Have either one for breakfast, a snack, lunch, another snack, and then eat whatever you usually do for dinner/dessert. Do that for a month and see how you feel. If ok, then you could definitely do Medifast! :-)
Wow, sounds great. I am currently healing from a Breast Reduction surgery on 4/1 and want to lose more weight as soon as my doctor clears me. Last summer i had hit my breaking point and was an astonishing 284 and i hated myself for it. I knew i had to do something but i could workout in a gym like i wanted to because of the size of my boobs. so i decided to schedule BR Surgery. once I had that schedule and ready to go i started changing eating habits. I joined a gym in January and worked out 4 times a week for 2 hours each time. No diet pills, just watched my calories and drank tons of water and from January 1st to 4/1 i lost 17 pounds taking me to 267. I hade surgery Monday and my PS took 8 pounds off my chest and i lost fluids so now i weigh 256. I am looking forward to losing more weight as soon as my boobs heal. I ordered the Shaun T Hip hop workout DVD and still will be going to the gym 4 times a week. I am hoping to lose at 75 pounds by the end of the year. Reading your story has inspired me. I saw Medifast on tv and wondered if it really works. Can you give me any tips on what excerises/things worked for you. Congrats on your weight loss.
Hi chibbey! Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I've been on the road a few weeks and now catching up. Congrats on having the strength and courage to start on this journey. It's for yourself, the most important reason!! You'll have ups and downs, plateaus and weeks of 'wow' weight loss. If you fall off the wagon...just get back on. Don't kick yourself if you slip. It's all part of the process. Truly. The getting back up part is what builds the strength to continue. Believe me! The Medifast was exactly what I needed. I did the 5+1 plan. But, if you get the basics of nutrients you need, you can makeshift the same concept for cheaper. Simply stated, it was an 800-1200 / day calorie diet, but super nutrient packed. With such a low calorie count it is critical to ensure the right mix is ingested, or you could hurt yourself. No sugar, no salt, super low carb, high protein, low fat, lots and lots of greens. I had a hard time getting used to salad without dressing of any kind at first, but now I love, love, love raw veggies. Salmon was my treat. I'd have salad with steamed salmon twice a week. It was my present for keeping course. So, pick a healthy treat for yourself and work it into your week. Gives you something to look forward to. :) with such low cal intake I didn't work out too heavily, otherwise my body would have used my muscles for energy. Walking was my exercise. The treadmill and I are now very close pals!! I started with 0 incline and 2.5 mph, for 15 min (that's how out of shape I was!!!). Each week I increased my time 5 minutes, and raised the incline and mph 0.5 each. Eventually I started using the programs that alternated height and speed. Now, I'm doing the 'alpine pass' 4 days a week, for 1.5 hrs, and weights 3 days/ week. It was hard, but soooo worth it! Keep the course ms. Chibbey, and if you ever need to vent or get encouragement, send me a message. I totally get it!! Good luck and rock that gym!
wow, I am going to try medifast!!!

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your journey.  Way to go girlie!!  Be proud and smile:)  You have done an amazing job and I know your journey will help encourage others.

Please post the pictures!!!