My tummy tuck journey.. that ended up with me needing a FULL revision.

After losing 121 pounds I was left with unsightly...

After losing 121 pounds I was left with unsightly excess skin. I was very fortunate that insurance paid for my tummy tuck because if I had paid for this with the results I have I'd be even more devastated. I know it's early still to judge.. but as it stands I fear that revision will be my future.. and at a cost.. hopefully I'll be able to afford it... out of all I've been through.. I just wanted a nice stomach.. now I feel as hideous as I did pre-op.. with a huge scar for nothing. I'm not even flat.. I look pregnant.

Don't judge to fast.. You're really swollen give it some time
by the way, laser is not expensive, and is an option for scars ,stretch marks, etc
i am curious as to why insurance paid. they never pay for cosmetic surgery. it had to be for a medical reason. perhaps that reason is responsible for excess swelling? but swelling is to be expected, and sometimes lots of it.

Patience

Need to remind myself I'm really still early post-op. I wrote the original review after a bunch of crying and was upset. I've seen worse TT's.. I'm thankful for what I have. I just wish my belly button didn't have the lines/extra skin around it. Hopefully if it doesn't improve after the swelling goes away.. there will be some sort of treatment option for me to achieve the belly button I want.. and to remove the wrinkled skin right below the belly button/around my vertical scar.

still early stage, did you have a full tt or just a mini? did you have MR ? good luck sis, the scar look pretty good
Full with MR. Thanks.
Hi JessMmmkay, did you have a hard time standing straight up after you got your TT?

Bought a bikini..

Actually not minding what I see in the picture (as far as my belly is concerned at least lol)
Can't wait till next spring when I get my BL/BA!

JessMmmkay, how have you been? Feeling better? :)
Quite a bit! :) I'm actually getting ready to make an update with some pictures. Still working on not judging it too much yet. ♥
You look good.. As you heal you will like your results better.. Changes happen pretty much every week.

3 weeks out yesterday~

Woke up this morning 3 weeks 1 day post-op and my swelling went down quite a bit compared to the swell hell I was in for days. I'm feeling "ok" about my results.. I think the main thing that bothers me is the side view.. I'm not entirely sure if that's swelling or fat.. I expected to have a flat belly. I'm a 21.0 bmi, size 2-4 jeans, size XS tops, and very active.. so I'm not sure why I now have this pot belly.. I really really hope it's just swelling.. it's the only thing that I have doubts about. I could live with the imperfect belly button.. if only I were flat... patience grasshopper...

It will get better...
Jess, im 18 days today and i have a lil pot belly too. I am also hoping its jus swelling. Im a fluffy girl tho. L l. Ps says it will all go away every time i see him. So, im being patient. And when i est food i feel like brick is in there and it bulges more. Guess i will be eatin jell a bit longer. You take care an i will be watchin your progress. Heal well.
Hoping for the best for you too! ♥

Booked a consult with another surgeon.

Booked a consult with a really good surgeon in the area for BL/BA (different from my TT surgeon).. and getting a second opinion on my TT from him. July 29th! Saving up the cash to get the girls fixed.. the weight loss hit almost every part of my body.. but belly and breasts the worst. Hoping he can offer some insight on my TT results.. as much as I try to stay positive.. I can't help but think that I picked the wrong doctor for my TT. I don't see how this will get any better... I have obvious lose skin and my scar is very high making my private area look huge. Even though my insurance paid for this tummy tuck.. it looks like I will have to pay for a revision out of pocket in the future. Please people.. don't tell me to be patient. I know and I'm trying. I have very little hope because of the way it looks.. I'm hardly swollen.. 5'7 and weigh 134lbs.. super fit.. and with a gigantic belly that doesn't fit the rest of my body. I had someone ask me how far along I was yesterday at the grocery store. I think I have a right to be upset.

I agree with Jenyphur...it doesn't appear he did a good job at all with the bellybutton area, it should be smoother not like yours. Yes of course there's swelling but it just doesn't look like it should. A revision should make it fine but it's maddening to think you have to shell out $$ for something that should have been done right the first time. Look forward to hearing what next surgeon says.
Thank you. I'll keep everyone posted.. I tell ya.. updating here is the only thing keeping me sane right now. I just want to complete my journey.. after losing all this weight.. I just want to love what I see in the mirror.
Unlike others, I don't think it will get better. :( I mean, I think the swelling will still come down a bit but honestly, I think you need to have a revision done. I am with you, I would not be happy with this outcome.

2 appointments made for second opinions~

I'm hoping for the best.. hoping that my worries are put to ease. I have two different consults with two different surgeons. Now.. just gotta wait till the end of next month..

I was watching TT videos on YouTube and saw a a girls bellybutton that looked similar to yours: Sarahmwx3. Hers drastically improved after 9 weeks, you can check her out and see if there is any similarities. You would be able to tell better than me. Anyways, I hope you see improvements! Best of luck. :)
Are You Wearing A Binder?
24/7 except when showering..

After looking online a lot..

I'm noticing that maybe the issue was also in the mark up pre-op.. the surgeon marked me hip to hip in one quick swoop of the arm. Everything I see online shows careful mark up from hip to hip then from hip to hip and up to the belly button area.. she didn't seem like the markup even mattered at all with how it took 3 seconds and then I was back on the stretcher getting wheeled to the OR.. nor was there any mark up on me beside just the hip to hip one.. I don't understand why this happened to me. Trying to snap out of this "woe is me" thing.. but I can't. I feel cheated out of this opportunity.. it's hurts me.. and it's driving me crazy. :(

hi Jess, I got a friend, she was not happy with the result and 2 months later she came back to that ps and make a modify, she said she still got loose skin after the first one, the ps did a second time, just pull down more skin, and this procedure is shorter and easier, I think this is also a option for you if you have loose skin, you can see different ps for the fix now, don't have to wait hope it help , chin up

26 days

Hi Jess: I can trully understand how you feel when you have done the hardest part of the job of loosing and maintaining the weight. I read some of the PS comments about swelling and they mention some tend to swell more and longer around the pelvic area and it could take some time. Well I am having the same issue although I am not as small as you I still have a lot of swelling and I am ready for a flatter stomach. Praying for your results to change and keep positive because with the imperfection you LOOK Good!
I'm sorry you're not happy with your results. You're still healing and I hope it improves for you as time goes on.
Thanks for the info and support! Hoping for the best at my two consults next month.

Well.. my after TT outfit finally came in.. :(

This was my after TT vacation goal outfit.. unfortunately with how my results are I don't think I'll be wearing this on vacation.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

sigh..

Going to try to take a break from realself until my second opinion consults have happened.. or at least closer to those dates.. I'm happy for everyone with good results.. they have what should be typical of this surgery.. it still really depresses me that I'm not one of them. I've worked so hard to get this far in my weight loss journey.. this was going to be my "closure".. now.. well.. the pictures say it all. Hopefully I can keep myself away from here for a bit.. I just wish this wasn't on my mind as much as it is.. but I had no idea this would happen to me.. I hope for a positive outcome with my consults next month..

I'm so sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for, hopefully your new PS will make you happy. Keep us posted, sending good vibes your way!
Thank you!
I've also lost over 100 pounds and I am 3 weeks out from surgery. My PS said that swelling will last up to six months with the biggest part of swelling 6-8 weeks. I think you should be patient and wait till the 6 months has past, your back in the gym, and are able to tone back up. Not working out makes your muscles go soft, which makes a toned person start to look fat. I feel fat Evey day but I am waiting it out. Like weight lo ss, this recovery is slow and not overnight.

Hematoma/Seroma

Been in the hospital for almost a week with excruciating pain. Found out I have a hematoma/sermoma.. but the hospital doesn't think that's the cause of my pain.

Sorry to hear your trauma but glad you are doing better. Take care if yourself you are beautiful.
Hi Girly! I always check for your updates-thank you so much for telling us what's going on. Where is your pain? I'm thinking of you- big hugs to you!
Wow, i hope you get better soon. So the hematoma/seroma was causing your bloated belly? Good thing it was found, but terrible that you are still having pain. Take care of yourself. It will all work out.

Updated photos

Diagnosed with a hematoma/Seroma in my abdomen.. they are just gonna watch it I guess. Still not too happy with it.. but I have hope for improvements.. whether through time or future revision. Next week second opinion consults.

You look good I think. Especially in your two month pics. Remember it take up to six months to see the final results. Look at your belly button at first compared to now. Looks good. Keep the faith it will get better
Im so Sorry to hear of your disappointment. We get so built up for the surgery. If its any consolation, your 2 mo pick looks so much better that 1 mo. Your swelling has gone way down.
Hey! I had a lot of abdominal pain and it radiated to the back. Thought it was maybe my gallbladder..but CT showed the hematoma/seroma!

Feeling much better about it :)

I definitely have a dog ear that will need fixing.. but other than that and the skin looking bad when I sit.. I'm happy with how it looks when standing.

That is so good and as you heal it does get better.
Yey!! Glad to hear this! And your belly button has done a complete 180! I have a dog ear too, he's taking it off in September. Not looking forward to that, lol, but I'll be sharing that event when it happens. Did you ever watch that YouTube story by Sarah? Search for Sarah Tummy Tuck Triplets on YouTube and it'll pop up. Amazing difference as she healed, too.

Sharing my before and after (weight loss picture)

Journey from 5'7 and 255lbs to 130lbs!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

forgot to post the picture..

before & after!

Let me know what you did about your belly button
I didn't do anything. It just kind of changed over time.
Hi girly! Just wondering how you've been! I hope you've been doing great!

Second opinion consult

Just got back from my second opinion consult. Planning on a revision in the future. The new doctor agreed with my concerns.. I could have been pulled tighter and he wants to lower my scar. He's going to see if tricare will cover the revision since they covered the initial surgery, and if they don't he is waiving his fee for me (very kind since he didn't do the TT originally!). I'd be looking at $4,700 for the revision if insurance doesn't help out.. which is a very good deal if you ask me! I see him again in 4 months - still too early out to jump into the revision. I'm just happy I have a game plan and a surgeon I fully trust! Also planning on a breast lift too. Now - patience.

Who was the doctor that you went to the second time that said 4700.00?
I feel the same as you-I feel it was worth it, but will need a revision as well. Prob a reverse abdominoplasty as I still have loose skin above BB. Will do it in conjunction with a breast lift. Good Luck
Thanks! Good luck to you too! I think I will be getting a BL with the revision too!

Revision ahoy!

Insurance is paying for my revision TT with my new surgeon AND a breast lift! Will update once I get the date scheduled!

Good luck to you and let us know how your revision comes out!

Scheduled!

January 17th I'm having a revision TT and a breast lift with a new surgeon. From here on out I will be updating on my tummy tuck revision review and I will also be creating a breast lift one as well! I'm on the cancellation list.. so hopefully I can get in sooner!

Will be following you! Wishing you stunning results the second time around!
Thank you! I'm actually a little over 3 weeks post op breast lift and revision tummy tuck. I have another review on here for my revision. :) http://www.realself.com/review/omaha-ne-tummy-tuck-revision-the-road-revision
Wow, it sounds like your first surgeon didn't take the necessary time to mark you up. Especially after losing a lot of weight, I would have thought he'd done an extended TT. You look good and I'm sure after your revision you'll look GREAT! Best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery.

So I had my breast lift and revision tummy tuck with a different surgeon!

I meant to update here after.. but honestly I've just been updating my other review (on the revision tummy tuck board). I won't be updating on this review any longer. See you all on my other review!

I can't believe that we had our messed up TT's on the same day! (Your original TT and my, I'm still not healed from it, botched TT) So glad that you were able to get the revision and that insurance covered it. How do you feel about the Fleur de lei TT? I think that may be my only option to get rid of all of my scar tissue.
revision TT board where is the located so lost on this programs ....
ok you should be finish now, I see this is 2013 please respond and post some pictures Okay!
Omaha Plastic Surgeon