Broken Capillaries on Face - Painful, Downtime, Good Result - Omaha, NE

I went to get the vBeam on a few broken...

I went to get the vBeam on a few broken capillaries on my cheeks, expecting 0 downtime. Like getting Botox. It was horribly painful and I ended up with nearly black bruises and swelling so bad I was put on prednisone. I couldn't leave the house for a week. Now, 5 months later, no remaining damage and the spider veins are gone. Not sure I would do it again, but I should would be better prepared!

I do have a 90% satisfaction in the results. ...

I do have a 90% satisfaction in the results. However, for the swelling, pain and downtime, I would not have done it had I know that would be the impact. It took a good 8 weeks for my face to return to normal. My capillaries weren't that bad, but for $400 and "zero downtime", I thought it was worth it to get rid of them. If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped it.

Photo Update

For the pain and downtime, I probably would have explored other options more first.

The key is *V Beam Perfecta* and the right setting. I have never bruised from this. I hear regular V Beam bruises mightily.
I had vbeam done as well, and was NOT told about swelling, potential bruising, etc.. in advance, either. WHAT is with these doctors or their assistants? Why don't they tell you the best case and worst case scenario, so you can plan and make treatment decisions, accordingly (with all the info) ? This is the second or third time I've been "misinformed" -by 2 different doctors. No matter what the doctors say now, I double the time- unless I've experienced it myself. If the doc says three days, that means 5-6 days. If they say a week, it's 10 days to 2 weeks. So plan for the worst, and hope for the best-and do your research online in forums such as these!

I had Vbeam done on broken capillaries on my cheek, nose, chin and forehead, and like the rest of you I had bad bruising almost immediately. I was told that my bruising would be gone after 1 full week, and 3 weeks later it was still noticeable. My cheek still has 3 dark bruises and so do a few other spots on my face. I am mortified and can not even cover them with make up! No one ever noticed my broken capilaries, but I figured if my insurance was covering it, then why not get rid of them? I had this laser procedure done at the end of April, and it is now nearing the end of July, and I still have bruising. I am so depressed and upset, I really hope that this is not a permanent scar, because I could not live with that! My doctor recommended a bleaching cream, which I am hesitant to try because I do not trust him at this point.

how is your recovery ann?

It will be a week tomorrow. Purple (barney color has now turned red). Still very noticable. I have not left the house. I look like I have been punched in both cheeks and the red spots all over my nose look ridiculous. I can't go thru the summer like this! I was told it would take a week to 10 days for bruising to "go away" by assistant at MD office. I also gave the negative review at this time due to the look of my face. The deep red marks all over my nose are so awful looking. I had little red cappillaries prior to treatment but thought "Hey if there is a way to get rid of them and have a nice even skin tone, whynot?" I thought if I had it done I would not have to worry about covering the broken areas all the time..If this really takes 8 weeks for the red spots all over my nose (looks like polka- dots, seriously)to go away I will be so upset that I was not well informed. I mean I was shocked right after treatment to look in the mirror they handed me. It was dark dark purple and I really was scared of what I was looking at! I am going to call them tomorrow at the one week mark and see if this can be resolved at all.

Hi Ann,
I noticed your post was in May 2011. I am going through exactly what you described right now. I had the Vbeam treatment on Mon and today is Fri, and it doesn't look much better. They told me it would only last a few days. I had no idea I would look like this. And like you said I wasn't prepared to look in the mirror they gave me afterwards. I was so upset I did not want to walk through the waiting room of people to leave the doctors office. I haven't been out of the house since Monday. Don't know how long I can stand looking like this. Just wanted you to know what you described is what I am also going through. Hope in the end it is all worth it. Was it for you? Thanks for listening. Jerry R.
It's not as bad as it sounds - without makeup, I could still see redness for 8 weeks. After a week, I could go out with well applied makeup, but if you were looking, you could tell. After 4 weeks, I was not self conscious if I had makeup on. But it was 8 weeks before I was comfortable going out without makeup on.
OMG! I pray my brisung does not take 8 weeks to return to normal color. Please tell me it isn't so !!!

Hi Omaha,

Welcome to the V-Beam community. Based on your review, if I am reading it correctly, you had a lot of unexpected pain, but you ended with the results you wanted with no after effects, is that correct? Did you give it a negative review based on the pain? I'm sorry you were not prepared for the pain it does sound painful. Please keep us updated and thanks for the pictures.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Britt - I gave it a thumbs down because I was not prepared for the downtime. I was told zero downtime, so I expected it to be like getting botox - in, out and back to the office. It was the swelling and the 8 weeks of bruises/redness. For a few broken capillaries, if I had know that is what would happen, I would have spent the money elsewhere. Now, 6 months later, I am about 50-50. I feel my face looks better. But again, I still think that if before I decided to do this, the doctor had shown me pictures of what i looked like afterwards, I would have run like the wind.