Finally Me - Oklahoma City, OK

At 40 I decided to live by a quote that I loved so...

At 40 I decided to live by a quote that I loved so much. " If you dont like something change it if you cant change it then change the way you feel about it". I quite my high pressure corporate job and went back to college to become a nurse. Now 4 years later i am a practicing CCU nurse. I often told myself, If I finish this Im going to reward myself with a tummy tuck. After three children, hypothyroidism and a high stress job my belly fat was out of whack. I am a happier person than I was 5 years ago. I am happy with my body. I would just like to change it:) My date is rapidly comming up. I will post pics soon.

Pre op pics

I find reading this site so helpful. I am 5 days pre op and getting nervous. I have to stop thinking about what could go wrong. The thought of being in pain scares me as I get sick with pain meds. I have a great support system so I need to just relax.

worried

3 days to the flat side! Im worried about the little things. I already have chronic constipation so im taking more colace now. Ive decided to to a clear liquids diet the day before. Its easier on the post op bowels. Im doing a cleanse right now to empty me out. I only have 2 weeks off work so im worried about that as well. I work with some amazing nurses so I need to relaxbi know they would be fine if I need to slow down or take multi breaks. Thanks to the advicebon this site I think I have all post op items already. So far I have : arnica tabs and gel, dressing bandages, protien bars snd shakes, lots of pillows, loose fitting clothes, a schedule ofcare givers, dont have a recliner going to have to couch it with the pillows, shower chair, cold and hot packs for the back pain, glass with lid for fluids (I hate to drink out of plastic) . Did I forget anything? My ps does not use drains. Has anyone else recovered without? Ive been eating a low salt diet for 2 years so not worried about that. I have to walk up a flight of stairs so wondering how thats gonna go. Laura my ps nurse called me today to let me know she will be calling in my scripts today. I have to say I have done my research and very hapoy with dr gonce and his office thus far. Dr gonce has a very very low infection rate. I even spoke to nurses to that had worked with him in the OR and had nothing but good things to say about him. He did my friends TT at work and she looks amazing! I think he is an artist with scar placement:) now to just try and relax. To more shifts at the hospital and I will be the patient. Thats gonna feel wierd!!

Day one

Hello all. It's been crazy! I was not suppose to have any drains and ended up with two. I was ready to be in pain but not quite this much. They ended up giving me 15 mg morphine and I don't do well with pain meds. Because of that I vomited on the was home and made myself very, very sore. Norco did not touch my pain all day I just was in bad shape. Right now if the first time I can look at my phone. My step mom is flying out tonight to help me as usually I'm not a wimp to pain . Getting up and down is the hardest part! I'm sure everyday will get better so I'm just wishing the days pass soon;) thank u for all the good wishes

Post op day 1 night

I'm feeling much better. I think all of my pain yesterday was vomiting from morphine. I feel the usual pain and tightness. Did not want to scare u

First look

I'm very hopefully! Looks like arnica is working

Post op

Still trying to keep nausea away. I take ginger tabs Zofran and eat crackers . I'm ok as long as I don't get nauseous and vomit. That takes more muscle strength than I ever knew! Post op app is tom will send pics

Very swollen

Even with 2 drains I feel very swollen. One of the drains is extremely painful if it's moved at all a let out a yell. My mom anchored it with gauze. The other pain was expected, the swelling. My incision site hurts and burns . Nothing meds can't treat . I am very lucky that after my first day of post op my mom flew down to help...I could have never done this by myself or just with my sweet hubby!!! I tried a little solid food today. Don't want to upset the BM gods;)

Drains out!!

Thank god almighty drains are out. My ps said he did lipo on my pubic area as well so yea!!!! I am starting to really bruise. I am walking almost up about 75%. We went to a thrift store and paid $5 for a walker I will use for a few days then donate.

Swell hell

Well I did not much last night and paid for it. I was unable to get comfortable and out of pain all night. Feel better today. I started using arnica cream along with tabs. I still take 1 norco Q 6 hours as I do not want the pain to get the best of me again. Tom I will just use one Q8 until just using Tylenol . God bless the ones that do not need the pain meds but I am not one of them. This hurts incredibly. Tolerable with the meds. My advice get the "toys". I.e. Walker , recliner or pillows, bathroom chair etc....It will just make life easier;)

The all important BM

Finally.

Alive

Feel look more like myself today . Watched a movie with the family. The pain is now a tolerable 3-4 level. Mainly burning at cutting site. Muscles are tight but tolerable. I'm taking 1 pill every 8 hours today and doing fine. My mom was going to leave yesterday but extended her stay until this Tuesday. She has worked in an ER for 32 years so it's been so nice to just relax and let her handle it. She changes my bandages in the morning and gives me alternating ice and cold packs thru the day . The lipo that was done on my pubic area is very sore and hard. I've packs help. I think I'm now over the hump .

The back to work debate

I was going to start back to 12 hour shifts next week. Silly me thinking I was superhuman. I sat at the table for 45 min and could not wait to get back to bed. It's amazing how tired simple things can make u. I'm going to stay off work until the 7th , that will be a 12 hour shift but not on the floor so no lifting. I'm loving the results so far ! My mom is still here so I'm taking advantage of the healing time! She has me walking stairs twice a day and walking laps around the house. I am still taking norco about every 6-8 hours. My husband is a chef so very spoiled on that end, eating very healthy. Every 4 hours or so with lots of protein and veggies. Hope to heal lots in a few days:)

Everyday is better

I'm not swelling anymore thanks to some great advice from this site. I drink cucumber mint water, watch my salt, fresh pineapple and other fruits to snack on. I am drinking Juven, we give it to people with wounds in the hospital,Lots of protein and healthy healing qualities! My stri strips are starting to come off. My PS said I can start scar treatment next week. I start back to work this we'd I think it will be ok;) overall I'm very happy with my results so far!!!

Work update

So 12 hours today was way too much. I was fine until about the 5th hour. Very swollen and more hunched over. Luckily I work around dr and nurses they kept telling me to sit. I work again tom then off until Tuesday. I wich I would have just waited until next week;( oh well such is life

Ouch

So after 2 12 hr shifts I'm toast. My right side is very swollen. The left side is swollen at the pubic area. I am in so much pain and out of pain meds. I have the next 3 days off so just gonna relax and heal heal heal. Right now I'm so incredibly sore it hurts to move. I'm parking it on the couch for a few days until I feel better . Anyone else have this problem during recovery?

A pick me up

Feeling blue and sore today so decided to try on a very old bikini. Bang I feel better. Can not wait until swelling is down !!!!

Post op app

Went to my ps app today during work. I explained the immense pain during my 12 hour shifts he said it will heal and get better. I have read so many rs updates at this stage of healing with no pain. I have a high pain tolerance and have had surgery before so not sure what's going on. I can only pray it gets easier as I have no pain meds to help. I am ok in the morning but toast about 10 hours into a shift. Trying to stay positive as I'm loving the results. Praying I can heal faster;)

Before and 3 weeks po

Good day !

If i do not work I have zero pain. It felt great today , no swelling and walking upright !! Feeling blessed . It still does not seem real I went shopping for clothes and keep grabbing my old size. I'm loving jeans now and no need to find shirts that cover the tummy it's amazing !!!!

Sleep problems;(

So I'm almost one month out and my only real problem is sleep. I can fall asleep then turn or stretch and wake up. Although the pain is not horrible more like a bad sunburn it still wakes me up. Once up I can fall back asleep. I'm already taking melatonin and sleepy time tea. Any ideas??? Work is getting better. Just trying to listen to my body if it hurts I sit. Not always easy as a nurse. If I had this all to do over I would have asked my PS how he handled post op pain. Most ps are using lidocaine pump or a drug that numbs just before closing. That would have benefited me. Also some drs give muscle relaxers. I would have rather that than norco. I'm not gonna lie recovery was tough the first 2 weeks. I went back to work too early, which my ps said was fine. The research you can do on this site is amazing! I wish I would have asked about post op earlier. I use spanx and a binder at work. At home it's one or the other. Not sure when I will feel I don't need support but for now I need it. It's does feel very strange to bend over now. Not sure if it's because there is no dropping skin to cover or not...lol still eating clean. If I cheat a swell. No exercise beyond walking yet. I work about 4 12hr shifts a week constantly moving bending pushing ....etc I don't want to over do it on my off days.

Typo

* can't fall back to sleep

Photos

5 weeks and back to the grind

Well I'm back to 5 12 hour shifts a week. Most days are fine. Some pain if I over excerpt myself. Sometimes I swell alittle. I'm alittle worried about my dog ears they do not seem to be going down. Any suggestions? Sleep is still an issue. I'm working on it;) one problem I did not think of before is my scrubs falling off me.... Lol a little silly but my pants keep falling down. I never thought to buy new scrub pants;) I could have worse problems. Can't wait to start working out! For now it's just lots of walking. What do u all wear at night? Just spanx ? Just binder? Or nothing? Can't wait for cooler weather so I can wear jeans!!!!

moving soon!

I decided to take a travel nurse position in Portland so we can be close to our daughter. I still cant lift over 20 pounds but other than that almost back to normal. I don't like to wear the binder anymore so Im down to spanx. Just cant seem to find the perfect one yet. My monds area swells. I read on here another person said she looked like a Ken doll, I totally understand what she is talking about now. At the end of the day my area down there is just swollen and puffy, thankfully no pain:) Sleep is getting somewhat better, thanks to melatonin , Benadryl and the occasional sonata. Like my Dr said, I save lived for a living I need my sleep. I feel pain when I lift too much or just plan do to much. Other then that I am good now. I am so thankful for this site and all of you for not only posting your stories but encouraging me along. Also to my tummy sister WMAC , I feel like we did this together:)) I still have to watch the salt or I blow up. I am surprised at the reactions that I have been getting from the surgery. I have been very open about it at work, a few people are acting very strange about it. I get the negative comments " wasted your money" funny they are all from skinny people...lol In the end it was my decision, my money and my issue. I do not regret being so open about it because it showed me another side to people. Some were very protective and would not let me do a thing. Others were down right rude.....I look at it from the point that Im glad I saw their true side and now I know to stay away. I will post more pics later

Pic update at work

I use to never use shirts at work. Just Baggie a size too big scrubs.
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Dr gonce is just really amazing. Being a nurse I did my research talking to OR nurses. They all had amazing things to say about him. Although I was not suppose to have drains and woke up with 2 I was very glad when I saw how full they were constantly. His office staff is nice as well. A bit of an issue with paying by credit card is a huge fee . Other than that no complaints