Mommy Makeover on May 24 2011! - Elyria, OH

I am 42 years old and a mother of 3 daughters. I...

I am 42 years old and a mother of 3 daughters. I am tired of wearing padded bras and "old lady swimsuits." My surgery is May 24. I am having a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. Last month I had my thighs and flanks liposuctioned and have enjoyed the results so far.

I have been looking at some of the posts here and if I am as lucky to get the results of the ladies here I will be jumping for joy once I am able to!

I am a little worried about some things though. They are:

1. I have a 3 year old and I wanted to know how some of you are avoiding lifting and/or carrying your little ones. When I had my liposcution last month I broke the rules and carried her a few times but I know this surgery will be a little more intense so any suggestions will help.

2. I also have a wonderful husband who, even though he is wonderful, cannot cook with a darn. I have made up some dishes that I froze but I am wondering if I should make more than what I have (a week's worth).

3. It seems like everyone had a recliner to sleep on after the surgery and I don't have one. Does anyone have any suggestions on sleeping arrangements after the surgery?

I am so excited and nervous about this. I am having a full tummy tuck and breast augmentation through the areola. My doctor and I discussed sizes last week and we are going with Natrelle silicone moderate plus profile (302cc). My doctor said I should be around a C or D cup (since all bra makers vary). I keep going back and forth wondering if this is too small or too large. While I don't want to look disportionately large I don't want to wear any more padded bras! I would appreciate any comments on this too. I think I am just getting a case of the jitters.

I am 4 days from my surgery date and I am excited...

I am 4 days from my surgery date and I am excited and scared. From what I read, it seems like it will take a couple of weeks just to get on my feet. This worries me because I have a huge wedding cake due 3 weeks after my surgery - ill-timing I know but I had to work it in.

There is also the possibility that my husband will have to travel two weeks after my surgery for work. He is staying home with me for one week so I am grateful for that. My mother lives 2 hours away and is 85 years old so I really cannot ask her for help. And, my in-laws have no idea I am having this surgery and I would prefer that way. I am really pretty independent so asking anyone for help is very hard.

The thing I am most concerned about is the effectiveness of the surgery. My workouts have been sporadic since December 10, 2010. At that time, my oldest sister went into the hospital and after that time, I spent most of my time with her as her brain tumor recurred and it was untreatable this time. She lived in Columbus so I would drive down every other day (2 hours) to take my turn in caring for her. On the days I did not go to Columbus I home-schooled our daughters. My sister passed away on February 21, 2011 very peacefully. We were blessed to have her for 7 years almost to the day of her original diagnosis when the doctors originally gave her 6 months. My sister was the best. She would fully support me in this and make a joke somewhere along the lines of getting her some surgery too. She had the greatest legs and her hands were so beautiful.

After my sister passed, I eventually resumed working out and then had smart lipo surgery on my thighs and flanks and have not been given the go ahead to workout but I have been walking 3 miles each day. Needless to say, I am concerned about the effectiveness of this surgery.

I am a runner and in my little town we host the Mohican 100 which is a 100 mile run in 24 hours. It literally makes me ache to out there when I see the runners preparing for this. I so want to be out there. There is nothing like running in our town. You run through town and in 20 minutes you are in woods and then later cornfields and passing cows. It is the most incredible feeling.

I am obviously rambling so I will sign off. I am grateful for this site that I can write these things and share them with others who are on a similar journey.

One day post op: I did it! Aside from the...

One day post op:

I did it! Aside from the nausea I had yesterday and inability to fully urinate I feel fine.

I saw my doctor today and he believes I will be able to get my drains out on Friday - just in time for the 3 day weekend!

I am not really swollen or bruised and I am happy about that.

2 day Post Op - I have stop taking the...

2 day Post Op -

I have stop taking the Percocet and am only taking Extra Strength Tylenol. It is a little uncomfortable but I would really like to go #2. My diet has been very light. Lots of water, crackers, watermelon, and other fruit. My husband made fish tonight and I did eat that and broccoli so here's hoping.

Post Op Day 3 I got my drains removed today...

Post Op Day 3

I got my drains removed today and was so grateful for that! I didn't feel a thing when Donna removed the left side drain but I did feel a little pinch on the right side drain. It was nothing really to get those out. I am so glad they are gone.

I have one hurdle to go through and I think I will feel like I am truly on the road to recovery and that is going #2! I think I will be more excited when I go than when my youngest daughter went #2 for the first time!

The pain is pretty tolerable. I have not had any pain medicines today. I have been walking around the house and resting a lot which is hard for me. We are suppose to go for a walk through town this evening.

My husband is kinda weirded out by my breasts. They are huge compared what I had. He said he hopes they go down. Personally, I love it.

I get my sutures out on Tuesday. I will take pictures then and post them. Right now I can barely look at my stomach because of the sutures (weak stomach, sorry).

Post Op Day 6 I am feeling pretty great. The...

Post Op Day 6

I am feeling pretty great. The only issue I am having is I cannot stand up straight and it is really hurting my back. I would appreciate any suggestions on this.

Tomorrow I get my sutures out and I will post pictures then. I will warn you that I am pasty white so wear sunglasses to view the pictures or the glare may blind you!

Post Op Day 11 This week has been a busy week!...

Post Op Day 11

This week has been a busy week! I got my stitches out on Tuesday and then went shopping for a new sports bra. Yesterday I returned the new sport bras because they were too big by Thursday! I am now about a C cup which is fine. To tell the truth I really liked the D cup look I had with the swelling. My husband did not though.

My left breast is still slightly larger than the right. I contribute this to two factors: 1. My left breast is still slightly swollen; and 2. My left breast was slightly bigger than my right breast to begin with. Overall, I am happy with them! I tried on some of my clothes pre-Emma (our 3 year old daughter) and was delighted to be fitting into them and filling out the top WITHOUT a padded bra!

The tummy tuck incision is looking great. I still have bruising around the ends and that makes it a little ouchy to massage but it is really nothing.

I have been walking a lot this week. It is really wonderful to be standing straight up! I am hoping to be able to start running again soon. No marathons, just some nice jogs.

I am having one problem: I am so used to buying Mom-Panties and padded bras I don't know if I can buy HotMama-Panties and feel comfortable!

I am posting some after pictures with this post.
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Poblete is very considerate of his patients needs. He regularly calls to check up you himself. His staff are just as wonderful. Dr. Poblete does excellent work. I had my thighs smartlipo'ed by him last month and cannot be more pleased with those results. He makes sure that his patient understands the procedure and is aware of the side effects. I feel very confident in his abilities.

Hi! Congratulations on the new you! I was wondering how you feel about the size boobs you got? This sounds weird to say, but your pre-surgery boobs look like mine. My PS said implants should look great to fill mine up and get the look I want. Basically I want what I used to have- a full C/D. My PS uses Natrelle silicone too. He thinks 300 to 350cc under the muscle. I'm supposed t take in photos of how I want them to look. Ha! If only it were that easy! "I'll take a set of a Heidi Klum's please, to go." Anyway, I'm thinking I might need a lift. Did you have one and why or why not? Thx!
Hey there UGAgirl! That doesn't sound weird at all about the boobs thing! I looked at several pairs on many websites. I looked at your post and I think we have/had very similar breasts. I think your thighs and hips are in way better shape than mine were when I started all this though!

First, I did not have a lift. My PS said it wasn't necessary because my nipple was above the bottom curve of my breasts. In my non-professional opinion, I think you should be fine without a lift. But listen to what your PS thinks you should do.

Second, I am happy with the size of my breast. I have Natrelle silicone moderate plus profile 339cc under the muscle. The projection (how much they stick out) is 4cm. I love the way I look in the mirror now. As far as bra size I am measuring a 34C/D. I am still wearing a full body compression garment and will be for another week so no bras yet.

I hope this information helped. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. I hope your surgery goes well and you get the body you deserve! Keep me posted!
Good that your getting by the whole day without pain meds till night! I was taking mine like clockwork! Hehe! And trust me..the whole thing with people staring..I couldn't even stand up long enough to take a shower (let alone wash my hair) so the first time I got out was the day my drains were removed (which was day 9) and my hair looked like a grease ball!! My sis helped me take showers the first few days..then I was able to put a small step ladder in tub to lean on but it was still almost impossible to do! I never had an bleeding from the incisions so I don't know about that one?? And as for the boobies..my left one was twice the size and brused that on day 5 I went back to the PS just to make sure that was normal and it is! My right one had dropped and was told to massage my left side for 10 mins longer then the other- so that is totally normal!! This journey is nothing but roller coaster rides but when its all done its so worth it! I am happy that I can finally wear a bikini! (Even know I won't yet because my BB scar is so red and screams "I just had a tummy tuck!lol) but was told by my PS all the scars will fade within time! So if not this summer, next one for sure I will be walking in a two piece! Have a good weekend and just take it easy!!
A new me,

I hope you don't mind but I have another question for you. Did you have any swelling in your back? I seem to have some swelling and numbness there. Not a lot but enough to notice. If you did, do you know how long it took to go away? I did not have lipo with my TT so I am kinda wondering why I have it.
Ohiomom..girl that's why this site is a godsent! No one else is able to understand,relate or answer questions (beside the PS and staff) then all the women on here!! I am so happy I found this site as well! Congrats on getting the drains out tomorrow! It didn't hurt me just felt weird..my drains were on my hip so not sure where yours are..but either way, without them your just one step closer to getting back to feeling "normal"..Your new friend thru recovery!
A new me... You are so right. My husband has been teasing me about being on this site when I am suppose to be resting. I told him it is a sisterhood we share on here and that we are here for each other no matter what! I love this site.

My youngest daughter is 3. She is having a hard time not wrestling and just being 3 around me at times. How did you handle that?
A new me. . .
You are the greatest! Thanks for being so encouraging!

It feels so much better without those drains (they were on my hips too). I am so excited to be on the other side.

I do have a question for you: How long did it take you before you could walk straight up? When I start walking I am very bent but as I walk the straighter I get but never fully straight. I realize it has only been 3 days (4 if you count the surgery day) but I am just looking for a ball park. Thanks so much.
Ok..everyone said that around the first week mark they were standing straight..so I was starting to flip out because I still had my "grandma" walk going on (as my son said)at the one week mark..for me not until day 9 (day I got my drains out) was I able to stand up with only a little bit of a hunched over. Then on my 18th day (day I had to go back to work) I know I was standing completly straight! But I still had bad lower back aches! I could do little (wash clothes,dishes, clean little around the house etc) not all at once of course but do one thing..then had to sit down for a break because my back hurt so bad! As far as the boobies...mine were sooooo HUGE the first few weeks, and the massaging hurt but once the "dropped" and the swelling went down they weren't as huge..so yours will probably settle and hubby will love them! I found pics that my sis took of me (the first few days after surgery) that I was so drugged up with pain meds I didn't know she had but has pics of my boobies that looks like my chin was resting on them they were so huge! So now I have to figure out how to get off her camera and onto here! No matter what take pics..even if you don't post, take for your own self because you will be amazed how much you change (all for the better too). I remember telling my sis at day 8 that "I wish I didn't do this" because I didn't like the way it looked and now fast forward 12 weeks! This is the best thing us mommies could do for ourselves! How are ya feeling pain wise?
Thanks A New Me!

I am doing fine pain wise. I am having back pain like you described and I cannot do very much before I have to sit down. I am not taking any pain medicine until bed time and then I take Tylenol Extra Strength. I just wish I could stand a little straighter. People stare when we go out like I am a freak or something.

I having a problem with my incision bleeding. I am not liking that because it is sticking to the compression garment and it smarts! My doctor gave me blood thinning shots to do for a few days and I am wondering if that is the reason I am having the bleeding problems. I will be finished with the shots tomorrow. I get my sutures out Tuesday and will ask then. I can't wait to have those sutures out because it is a little grostesque to look at.

Another thing I noticed today is that one breast is down lower today than the other. My reasonable self is saying "This is normal. The other one will come down too." But my emotional self is saying "Whoa! What the...! I look deformed."

I know this is an emotional roller coaster and I appreciate you letting me ask you questions. I also appreciate your sharing of your experiences. Thanks so much A New Me.
2 day Post Op -

We took out the pain pump today and that was ok. I get my drains out tomorrow and I cannot wait. I will post more tomorrow.

Very exciting about the drains!  I hope you are resting comfortably..
Ohiomom...Woo hoo! Congrats your on the "other side"! I notice your post about your hubby being there for maybe only a week...you will be fine! I am a single mommy of two boys (7 and 3) and my sister was able to stay for only about 9 days!. The first week is the toughest! Not being able to stand up straight and those darn drains! But trust me once the drains (if you got that) are removed its a lot better! Drink plenty of fluids and make sure you take some Milk of Mag becausd all the pain meds cause...well let's just say I went almost 9 days before I was finally able to go #2. I also didn't have a recliner, just had 3 huge pillows behind me and 2 on each side and one under my legs! Basically had to sleep sitting up for about the first week.. but everyone said you get back to "normal" around week 2 which was so true! Just had to take small breaks because lower back will hurt (from all that hunching over)..I am 12 weeks post op now but feel free to ask any questions and I will be glad to help! Hugs
A new me. . . Thanks for the information on sleeping arrangements. I am sleeping with two pillows behind me and a few under my legs and I am sleeping on the sofa. I am hoping the first week goes by quickly. I understand about the #2 as well. I cannot even pass gas! Funny how I would never mention this to my girlfriends at home but feel completely normal talking about it here!
Yay! Glad it went well! Congrats on the new body! :) Hope you have a relaxing Memorial Weekend!

Thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way for tomorrow.
Our surgeries are on the same day...good luck tomorrow!!
How did your surgery go? I am sending you prayers and hugs for your recouperation time.
Wow your BIG day is tomorrow!!! You'll be sooo glad you did this for yourself! Good Luck to your new body :)))