Constant Shortness of Breath After Tummy Tuck - Can It Be Undone?

I had a full abdominopasty done 2 years ago. I am...

I had a full abdominopasty done 2 years ago. I am very pleased with the results. However, from the minute I got up from the surgery to date, I suffer from constant shortness of breath. It is very uncomfortable. I have had physicals and checkups to rule out any other problems. I am now convinced that the shortness of breath is because of the tigtning of the abdominal muscles, which in my case being petite was perhaps too much. My breath seems like it is blocked all the time. I am miserable. I almost feel like I wish the tummy tuck could be undone.

Why - To tighten stomach muscles after 2 kids and 2 c-sections

Pros - Tummy looks great now

Cons - Traded off for constant shortness of breath

My question is at this point what options do I have? I do not want to live with this constant breathlessness feeling all the time.

Yes, he is a very good surgeon. But not sure why I landed up with shortness of breath?

I am only 16 days po TT and l am glad l read these comments because l was begining to think l either had a blood clot or heart issues. I am only 40 and almost called 911 tonight and prayed l felt like l was dying it started after l ate some ice cream and an intense feeling of fullness came over me then the SOB then the lightheadness and anxiety. I never knew this was gonna be a side effect. I totally regret it. Only thing helped was Tums and l made my mind up if that didnt work l was gonna call 911. I pray this gets better l go back next week and def gonna discuss this.
tina, SOB almost always leads to anxiety and panic attacks. I woke up from surgery with extreme shoa life saver for me, as it finallrtness of breath, and lived with anxiety and panic attacks for 3 months not even understanding why all this was happening. Eventually the doctor prescribed Lexapro for me and that was a lifesaver for me, as it helped break my anxiety/lightheadedness/extreme fatigue etc. I pray you find the solution that works for you.
How are you feeling these better or the same tightness and sob
I am still the same. I am having such bad pressure that relux is drowning me in my sleep. I am now having an endoscopy at the end of this month. I will keep you posted on what they do to relieve me if any. I feel for all of you.
Well life goes on. It has become better over the years, but I had to re-learn how to breath with my new body structure. Yoga helped, in stretching the muscles out over a period of time. I learnt to make a conscious effort to breath using my abdominal muscles and not use my chest and upper back muscles. I also do some form of aerobic exercise every day which helps with my breathing. With all of that and good nutrition and .25 mg. of lexapro, I have my life back under control. I miss the days when I could breath so naturally and unrestricted, but am glad the body heals and continues to improve.
Im so glad I found this site I got a tt done almost 4 months ago and I cant take this tightness no more, I get crazzy spasms It looks like I have a worm inside or an alien trying to get out. I got a tt only for the extra skin like the stretchmarks but my muscles were in good condition He should of never tighten them up and Im not a big girl Ive always had a small weist and now I suffering...My PS gave me VALIUM it helped but its back 2 months later and he gave me VALIUM again CANT take VALIUM no more cuz I felt my so much pressure on my left arm and chest Im going to see him tomorrow Im gonna push him to get this undone cant live like this no more,.Please udate anyone whos goten the tt undone please.
Hello i would like to know if you had the tummy tuck undone? Because i had a tummy tuck about 6 months ago and im experiencing the same things you are. And if you did r u ok now.
Hellooo everyone I'm going in on Feb.15th to go get my tt undone ..do to all the same symptoms u are all having.... I got my tt done in 2006
What kind of procedure did you and your Dr. decide on? Please let us know, this constant suffocating feeling is so difficult to get used to and now I'm stuck on xanax for the panic attacks. How much is this costing you? Thanks so much for sharing.
How did it go? please update me on your TT undone, Im going through the same thing.
Stephanie, How did your undone procedure go. It would help everyone here, if you could give us some inputs. It has been 5 years since my tummy tuck, and I am still miserable from the constatnt breathlessness feeling.
It all sounds so familiar to me. I had a tummy tuck last year about 12 months ago. I am in excellent health and am an aerobics instructor and am very petite. I have the shortness of breath and pains in the chest. Had a full check up with my heart and blood tests and all was fine. Then went to see an ear nose and throat doc who said I may have reflux. Am now on reflux medication which makes a huge difference. My question is, does anyone know if having another baby would stretch everything back out so I don't have to deal with this any more. I don't want to have another operation to undo this and there is still room in my family for one more. I know it seems extreme, but if I dont have to feel this way anymore and so I would get a beautiful baby and feel how I used to feel before the tummy tuck.
I think if you get pregnant you won't be able to breathe even more. It will create more intra abdominal pressure and constrict everything even more. There are also permanent stitches that they use, and they may not pop while pregnant.
oh hun to have a baby after tt i would think will make the skin come back. tt is really only suppsoed to be for when ur done having babies. thats why i did mine im done having more kids
hello all. i have this same feeling im almost 4mos out i had the mini tt w muscle repair. if i drink any alcohol it makes it come on faster. i also took a flite from jersey to IL and had anxiety and had it in the car not long ago. i never used to be this way and i wonder if its from surgery. as i have never had this before. its kinda scary too. so perhaps i shuld go get cked out too. wow. im not alone here. im also very tiny and have a short torso and this is also why he didnt want to do the full tt on me id most likely be worse
I just learned I have a hiatal hernia. It is where the tightness of the tummy tuck squeezes everything up and into your diaghpram making it hard to fully inflate your lungs. I have been complaining of tightness for years but mysteriously no doctors could diagnose me. I also have gastroparesis, GERD, and esophagitis. The hiatal hernia can lead to headaches, tiredness, and lots of other problems. This was all caused by my tummy tuck. It also makes your stomach feel hard and painful after eating, and you have a feeling of fullness and shortness of breath after eating.
This sounds exactly like me. Did you have hernia surgery to correct it?
not yet
I had my tt 5 weeks ago (1-5-10) I had extreme painful shortness of breath. I found out that my ribs were out of place and pushing into my lungs, I saw a chiropracter and the problem was solved.
could you please share what kind of treatment the chiropracter did? Did he take X-rays that showed that the ribs were pushing into the lungs. Thanks for your inputs.
Yes she did x-rays that showed it, also when she felt along the spine, she and I knew instantly when she touched the ribs that were out of place. She also told me that it is very common for this to happen for alot of people, but when you have surgery and tighten up the muscles around the rib cage it can actually take a rib that it slightly out of place and make more out of place which is what happened to me. Shedid push or crack my back to move the ribs back into place, she said that normally she would grab the hib and twist it back into place but because of my surgery she couldn't do that so it would a little bit longer. But the first time she cracked my back I was out of pain and could breath normally
thanks so much for sharing.
I am having my surgery done on February 12, and I am having second thaughts about getting it done.
grilly, the shortness of breath is a very uncommon side effect as per the doctors I have consulted, but in some of us if the body structure changes significantly, there is a possibility that it changes the dynamics of the breathing mechanism. I had seen similar complaints before my tummy tuck, but crossed my fingers hoping that it does not happen to me, but I was not that lucky.
Tracy, I had been wondering if that was an option. Could you go into a bit more detail as to what was involved? Did you use your original PS? Did they have to reopen and relift just like last time? How long after your procedure did you have this done? How long was your recovery from this? Thanks for any info...