At Almost 3 Weeks Post-op, It Was Definitely Worth It for Me... - Ohio

I developed big breasts at age 12, as a result I...

I developed big breasts at age 12, as a result I was never comfortable with having large breasts and spent most of my life trying to hide them; unfortunately 38DDs cannot be hidden. After gaining and losing about 60 pounds twice in my life, I felt like I had 2 baloons that had been inflated and deflated one too many times--severe ptosis and stretch marks. My most recent gradual healthy weight loss had brought me to an ideal weight, but my 36DDs were not going to get any smaller (or any higher on my chest) by working out more, and the weight of my breasts put a major strain on my neck and shoulders, and if my bra was too tight, I'd get headaches as well. I was constantly aware and self-concious about my breasts.

About a year ago I started seriously thinking about a breast reduction. I began by googling images of before and after photos and was amazed at the work that could be done; I asked a doctor I respect to refer me a few names of local surgeons and researched them, settled on one and had a consult in Oct. 2010.

We submitted to my insurance company to see if they would cover the procedure and though it took about 2 months for them to reply, they did approve it, and so in January I scheduled it for 2-23-11. It's still very early in recovery for me, but so far I am thrilled to feel free of 36DDs and very content with what should end up being a 36C. I am excited to be able to do more exercise, like now jogging or running without feeling like the weights on my chest are holding me back; I also cannot wait to be able to buy some tops that I could never have worn before (halters, strapless, one-shoulder) because of all the "engineering" required to reign in my old breasts!

I read the help guides on this site by Kimmers25 back in January and they were an immense help in knowing exactly what to expect and I feel like there were no surprises throughout my whole experience thus far.

The only minor cons so far are that the incisions are a little longer than I thought, but they will also take months to heal; my doctor was clear that it would take at least 9 months to see the real results, so it requires patience. Also I have experienced a small amount of numbness along part of my incisions/scars, but I knew beforehand that was a normal side effect and possibility.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Just a note on the cost I listed: as I stated my...

Just a note on the cost I listed: as I stated my insurance is covering it, but this was the total for the outpatient bilateral reduction and lift, I took that figure from the hospital bill.

Also, anyone in the area (northern Ohio) that is interested in who the surgeon was, you can message me if you like.

Also...I wish I could have edited the original review...I misspelled balloons! ;)

It is a crippling thought, but a I know I'll regret it if I don't move forward. My other fear is of not being able to breastfeed once I decide to have children after the surgery, but reading other forums on here I'm finding that having large breasts alone is enough to affect my ability to breastfeed!
Congrats! They really work well for your body. Being 5'11" and curvy (currently a 38G) I'm terrified of ending up with little nubs that don't work with my body shape.
I understand how you feel. I am the same size as you and continue to put it off for fear that my body will look out of whack. I am so used to looking at myself and seeing breast before anything else that if I look in the mirror and see something before I see breast it might freak me out.

He explained the process fully and was realistic with his explanations about results, asked in the initial consult if I had researched the procedure, he answered all my questions (and I went in there with my little list written down a few times).