Confused

I am still trying to figure out what is the right...

I am still trying to figure out what is the right laser and/or treatments for me.

I have had acne for 2 decades and now want to get rid of the deep scars andwrinkles. I started about 4 months ago with 2 salicilic acid peel, spaced two weekes apart, then a vitalized peel followed by a photodynmaic treatment. To me, my skin got worse, there are now lines and scars where there weren't any before, my pores are huge now and my forhead is creased and looks like brittle parchment paper.

I am so freaked out I consulted with more skin specialists. One recommended taking a break and then doing Active FX. After all the horror stories on here, and my own experiences, I am hesitant. So I saw a specialist who invented the coolaser and he wants to do 2 cool lasers and then fillers and botox at the same time. It's called the mini facelift. To me, that seems a shocker. Then, another recommended the Obagi NUDerm, Fraxel every month and Sculptra every six weeks.

After much thinking, I decided to embark on the Obagi Nu-Derm and am now flaking and red, swollen - look like a shedding, boiling lobster. I have a party next weekend, so they advised me to stop three days before and the skin should be back to normal.

But what do I do next?

Active FX, Fraxel, Coolaser, or could the Obagi Blue Peel be an alternative, after I prep the skin more with the Obagi Nu-Derm. Or could I do a laser? Is my skin too taxed for a laser now? When could I do a laser? I am shifting to babying my skin tonite. I am so mad that I started this - I totally ruined the summer ahead of me - and I live in sunny CA - but I feel I have to do damage control now. And - I am running low on money. WOuld a Blue Peel and some Botox do the trick? I am just horrified and scared of the laser recovery.

Any thoughts? Direction?

Thanks so much for "listening"!

What is the difference between Obagi condition & enhance and nu derm? I have been using the nu derm..If you switched would it give you better results?
I am a medical esthetician from CT. I have been working w/ Obagi for years. We also provide IPL Treatments. Obagi NU-derm is a great treatment for anyone who is looking to get rid of Superficial scarring of the top layer of skin,Hyperpigmentation or melasma. Alot of my patients once they do the full Nu-derm system most of the time feel as thought they do not need IPL treatments or Blue Peel. Nu-derm or Condition and Enhance system rebuilds the foundation under the skin. It repairs the Dermis, Sub-dermis, nerve endings and Blood vessels that we damaged throught the years w/ the sun and over use of products. Most patients believe Nu-derm takes 5-10years off. You can stay on the system as long as you like to maintain that result. If you feel your face is too raw you may need a lower tret. Or Use less. Our usual protocol for normal skin type is 1/2 gram of Tret and Blender every other night for 2-3 weeks in the beginning. Then the PT would come in for a re-check after that time and we would see if they should use it every night or stay on the same protocol. As for the Blue Peel.....We only do the Blue Peel on Patients w/ a fitzpatrick of five or more after they have done Obagi Nu-derm and have deeper scarring. These Patients are not canidates for Laser especially IPL lasers. These can cause severe Hyper-pimentation or Hypo. After the Blue Peel you have to stay out of the Sun for a long time and even though you don't go outside you still have to Apply heavy coats of Sunscreen everyday and constantly(every 2 hours), Because, the top layer of the skin have been removed and your skin more vunerable to Hypre-pigment. Nu-derm is a incredible system. You just have to find a good office who really understands how the system should be monitored. Go to www.Obagi.com You can get the reps Name for your area who sells to local Docs and they can recommend a great Doctor. Or choose a Diamond Physician. I hope this helps. I love Obagi and I hate to hear when paitients are not fully educated on the product. Obagi is a product that should not be taken lightly and perscribed lightly. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.
Hi, I scheduled an Obagi Blue peel for march 2010. I am having another surgery and will have two weeks off work and decided to have the peel the day after my surgery so I can be home for that long. It is at a plastic surgery center in pittsburgh pa and the plastic surgeon applys the peel. I have been on retin a for years now and I need a good medium peel. I also have mild rosacea that I have been getting IPL tmts for. What results will I achieve with this peel. I have large pores will that tighten them? Thanks
i am a 22 yer old black female from south africa have had acne and dark marks ever since i could remember. is there something i could use to get rid of them. i have tried everything but have failed. plz help!
The Obagi Nu Derm system is great. You can also follow it up with a VI peel or Obagi Blue peel, but there is down time to each. I have performed a series of 4-6 VI peels individuals with African American skin and the risks are minimal. VI peel is a 12% tca peel combined with other peeling agents. Because it is a superficial peel no preping is required and the down time lasts from about 3-7 days. The day of and day after the peel you look fine but 48 hrs after the VI peel you will start to peel and peel for about 3 days. Aquaphor otc is what I have used along with sunscreen uva uvb protection for best results. If you have a lot of pigmentation and scars the Blue peel may be best but 12 weeks of prepping with the nu derm system is required.
What is the difference between Obagi Nu Derm and Obagi Blue Peels? I am considering doing one or the other and I have olived-colored skin. Can someone help?
Nu Derm is the system of Obagi products you use at home and the Blue peel is a 15-20% TCA peel done in a doctors office 6-12 weeks of preparing your skin with the Nu Derm system is required prior to doing the Blue peel. This will enhance results and minimize complications.
It is unfortunate that so many in this forum have had bad experiences with Obagi Nu Derm and Obagi blue peels. My girlfriend is a 40 year old olive-skinned latina and has a great experience with the Nu Derm kit and the blue peel. It is true that the Nu Derm turned her red for a month or so, but after several months the redness faded and her face was clearly smoother. People felt that she looked "refreshed." The blue peel was very painful for her and she was blue for almost one week. The results, however, were turly excellent. After two blue peels she is now regularly carded (means that they think she is 30 years old, or younger). She is very happy. Not sure how it would have turned out if her skin were as light as mine, perhaps it would still be red. For her olive-colored skin, however, it has been great. Hope that helps.
At the time of my Blue Peel five years ago, I was horrified and outraged: I looked like Shrek's Fiona! I went undercover for two weeks or so, and thought I'd never emerge again. Following the initial emotional shock waves and wretched peeling, my skin looked gorgeous. I will turn 57 this year, and to this day, I receive frequent compliments on my complexion--and amazed reactions that I am not many years younger than I am. That said, I should also add that I was in very skilled hands, and, based on reading others' reactions, it seems clear to me that my doctor knew precisely how much of the chemical to administer. Also, since skin varies so dramatically from individual to individual, it makes sense that results will vary tremendously--thus, the only real way to control for that is to put oneself in the most professional hands possible--do your due diligence, and don't go to "just anybody" for a treatment as serious as this. And it is indeed serious. In fact, there is no way to prepare yourself in advance for HOW SHOCKED you will be in the aftermath of the procedure--and even the most professional of doctors and nurses will not begin to tell you what you're in for ([a] their livings depend on treatments like this, and [b] they also are not trained to counsel patients sufficiently). Good luck!
I'm on my second experience with the Obagi regiment. My first experience was two years ago. It did wonders for my African American skin. The process is painful and unattractive, but I got so many compliments on my complexion and texture. I've never had the Blue Peel, though. See as how I got great results without it two years ago and having read some of the comments here, I don't think that I'll ever try the Blue Peel.
NO DONT GET OBAGI BLUE PEEL. ITS THE WORSTED THING I EVER DONE I AM A DARK HISPANIC WOMEN I GOT HYPOPIGMENT FOR IT. PLEASE DONT GET DONE BUT IF YOU DO MAKE SURE THEY ONLY DO 3 COAT ON YOUR SKIN . WHEN I GOT IT DONE THE BURN MY SKIN ITS BEEN 5 MONTH AND I AM STILL PINK.
I am 11 days into my Obagi Blue peel possibly one of the worst things i have ever done. I have done it along with a Macs facelift which so far has not caused me nearly as many problems. I started with the Obagi products which you are apparently supposed to use prior to the Peel. As others have said they wish they had never started. When my face has finally peeled and i am no longer green i will revert to my previous beauty regime giving up these costly obagi products which as the chap from CA said they just seem to make you look like a lobster. I could recommend a facelift but not a blue peel.
I had the obagi blue peel done in 1997 for acne damaged large pitted(possibly from squeezing the pimples) & large clogged pore skin & uneven skin tone especially in my cheek area. It was a very traumatic experience for me, I had to take sleeping pills in order to get sleep at night to get a break from all of the crying & tossing & turning; my summer was ruined as well-my face was a navy dark blue tone for about 2-3 months; it took about 1 year to get my skin tone to even out. The first few months of the peel my skin was a dark navy blue black tone(i had 5 layers done to make sure the pitted skin would be resolved)swelling was severe, & some burning of the skin also took place which exposed some pink tissue; Well now that it has been close to 11 years & late last year 2007 I had a TCA peel done & it got my skin back to a blotchy dark patch here & there stage; I was hoping the TCA would correct the TWO RACOON BLACK EYES that was left from my doctor not putting the obagi blue peel around my eyes, but the TCA didn't do any peeling around my eye area. So now this year I will resort back to obagi blue peel to correct the TCA peel. I can say obagi did correct the acne damage mentioned above - I'm hoping this time to have the doctor distribute the obagi blue peel more around my eyes to get rid of the TWO RACOON BLACK EYES, let me know if anyone else has experienced the TWO RACOON BLACK EYES.
Interesting, I have used Obagi products for 2 years now, expensive and I have not received any of the results that is advertised. I also had a laser facial peel, to follow up with the products. My face turned as red as a lobster, I peeled a small amount above my lips and nose, no more than a sunburn.
The Obagi Blue peel is TCA