I have had acne for 2 decades - Confused - Los Angeles, CA

I am still trying to figure out what is the right...

I am still trying to figure out what is the right laser and/or treatments for me.

I have had acne for 2 decades and now want to get rid of the deep scars andwrinkles. I started about 4 months ago with 2 salicilic acid peel, spaced two weekes apart, then a vitalized peel followed by a photodynmaic treatment. To me, my skin got worse, there are now lines and scars where there weren't any before, my pores are huge now and my forhead is creased and looks like brittle parchment paper.

I am so freaked out I consulted with more skin specialists. One recommended taking a break and then doing Active FX. After all the horror stories on here, and my own experiences, I am hesitant. So I saw a specialist who invented the coolaser and he wants to do 2 cool lasers and then fillers and botox at the same time. It's called the mini facelift. To me, that seems a shocker. Then, another recommended the Obagi NUDerm, Fraxel every month and Sculptra every six weeks.

After much thinking, I decided to embark on the Obagi Nu-Derm and am now flaking and red, swollen - look like a shedding, boiling lobster. I have a party next weekend, so they advised me to stop three days before and the skin should be back to normal.

But what do I do next?

Active FX, Fraxel, Coolaser, or could the Obagi Blue Peel be an alternative, after I prep the skin more with the Obagi Nu-Derm. Or could I do a laser? Is my skin too taxed for a laser now? When could I do a laser? I am shifting to babying my skin tonite. I am so mad that I started this - I totally ruined the summer ahead of me - and I live in sunny CA - but I feel I have to do damage control now. And - I am running low on money. WOuld a Blue Peel and some Botox do the trick? I am just horrified and scared of the laser recovery.

Any thoughts? Direction?

Thanks so much for "listening"!

I have recently had a blue obagi peel as everyone raved about it and said how wonderful that my skin would look afterwards. I am a bit like you have acne scars, I don't think there is any difference in my skin at all if anything looks worse. I have been told that you need to wait the full 8 weeks to see full results which I will do but that is only because I don't want to damage my skin any more. I have been reading up on the different types of skin peels and so as they all rave that your skin will be flawless. All these pictures that you see of before and after shots. I would say that these clinics need to start being honest with us and stop giving us false hope as some of us are already have low self esteem.
What is the difference between Obagi condition & enhance and nu derm? I have been using the nu derm..If you switched would it give you better results?
I am a medical esthetician from CT. I have been working w/ Obagi for years. We also provide IPL Treatments. Obagi NU-derm is a great treatment for anyone who is looking to get rid of Superficial scarring of the top layer of skin,Hyperpigmentation or melasma. Alot of my patients once they do the full Nu-derm system most of the time feel as thought they do not need IPL treatments or Blue Peel. Nu-derm or Condition and Enhance system rebuilds the foundation under the skin. It repairs the Dermis, Sub-dermis, nerve endings and Blood vessels that we damaged throught the years w/ the sun and over use of products. Most patients believe Nu-derm takes 5-10years off. You can stay on the system as long as you like to maintain that result. If you feel your face is too raw you may need a lower tret. Or Use less. Our usual protocol for normal skin type is 1/2 gram of Tret and Blender every other night for 2-3 weeks in the beginning. Then the PT would come in for a re-check after that time and we would see if they should use it every night or stay on the same protocol. As for the Blue Peel.....We only do the Blue Peel on Patients w/ a fitzpatrick of five or more after they have done Obagi Nu-derm and have deeper scarring. These Patients are not canidates for Laser especially IPL lasers. These can cause severe Hyper-pimentation or Hypo. After the Blue Peel you have to stay out of the Sun for a long time and even though you don't go outside you still have to Apply heavy coats of Sunscreen everyday and constantly(every 2 hours), Because, the top layer of the skin have been removed and your skin more vunerable to Hypre-pigment. Nu-derm is a incredible system. You just have to find a good office who really understands how the system should be monitored. Go to www.Obagi.com You can get the reps Name for your area who sells to local Docs and they can recommend a great Doctor. Or choose a Diamond Physician. I hope this helps. I love Obagi and I hate to hear when paitients are not fully educated on the product. Obagi is a product that should not be taken lightly and perscribed lightly. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.