53 Year Old Female in UK Finally Getting my Teeth Straightened! - United Kingdom

I'm 53 years old and live in the UK. I've always...

I'm 53 years old and live in the UK. I've always hated my teeth which are very crowded and crooked. I've finally plucked up the courage to do something about it and have decided to go ahead with Invisalign.

I first visited my dentist about one month ago to discuss the possibility of having my teeth straightened and she recommended Invisalign. After having my impressions taken I have had to wait until today for my treatment plan to come back from the US and have just seen my dentist to see the pictures.

My dentist wasn't happy with the expected results as my top teeth midline was slightly off to the right on the final outcome so she doing some adjustments to the plan and has suggested an extraction of one of my bottom teeth.

The plan that came back has 49 trays which would mean almost 2 years of treatment not allowing for refinements. I'm perfectly happy to go through this length of treatment if it means I can finally smile without embarrassment but my dentist I'd hoping we can reduce this with the extraction.

I'm waiting for a phone call in a couple of days to see the changes she's made to my plan and hopefully it will only be a couple more weeks before I can start my treatment.

Appointment on Wednesday to see my updated pictures.

Just a quick update. I have an appointment on Wednesday to see the changes my dentist has made to my plan. I have found out today that she starts her maternity leave on Friday, baby due mid July and she 's back at work at the end of September. I'm really hoping this isn't going to delay me starting my treatment as I shall be quite depressed if it does. Fingers crossed that another dentist can take over my case until my dentist is back.

Plan finalised and aligners ordered!

I've had my appointment to see my final plan and my dentist and I are very happy with it so I'm going ahead. My aligners have been ordered and my dentist is going to call me when they arrive and arrange an appointment. She's kindly taking time out of her maternity leave as I'm having an extraction, one of my bottom incisors. My plan now consists of 32 trays which I'm very happy about as the original plan was 49 trays. When I'm ready to start tray 3 I'm having my attachments fitted, there are an awful lot of them, almost every tooth and 2 on some. I know this is going to a long journey and I may encounter difficulties along the way, but I'm determined to see it through so I can smile with confidence for the first time in my life.

Still waiting!

I'm still waiting for an appointment for my extraction and my first trays. Seems like ages since I started this journey and I seem to be going nowhere! I wondered if anyone else has had to wait so long to start. On average how long should it take to manufacture the trays? The longer I wait the more doubts set in, I'm worrying about my extraction and having a gap in my bottom front teeth. I'll update as soon as I have a date to start.

Good news!

Good news, my aligners have arrived and I have an appointment on Thursday for extraction and first tray!! So excited. ????

Extraction done and 1st aligners on!

I've had my extraction and am wearing my first aligners. I'm a little concerned as I'm not feeling any of the tightness described by other invisaligners. Also there seems to be quite a lot of spaces at the tops of my aligners where my teeth don't seem to fit snugly. I've added some photos and hope they show these spaces. My next appointment, for attachments is August 11th.

Day 5 update

I've now been wearing my aligners 5 days. Im not suffering from the gagging reflex anymore and don't really have bad pain. I did wake up this morning with a slight headache so took some painkillers which seem to have done the trick. My mouth is very sore so I have purchased some Anbesol Gel and some Corsodyl mouthwash to try and relieve the soreness.

I'm managing to stick to a good routine, 20 minutes for breakfast, half an hour for lunch and 40 minutes for dinner. Adding my cleaning, flossing routine to this I'm well within my 2 hours without my aligners.

I actually feel relieved when I get them back in because my teeth feel a little unstable without them. I'm sure they're not actually loose or in danger of falling out but I can definitely feel a difference even after such a short time.

No one at work noticed my aligners but I'm sure things will change once I get my attachments. I think I'm probably deliberately avoiding conversations with colleagues because I feel very self conscious about the gap left by my extraction. I shall be glad when this gap is closed and hopefully then I'll feel less self conscious.

I'm going to London for 3 days tomorrow and will be eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner so I'm quite concerned how I'm going to manage with my removing aligners, eating, cleaning teeth and replacing aligners routine.

I now have some Chewies to try and solve the problem I have with gaps between my teeth and my aligners. One thing I'm a little concerned about is that my aligners end on my upper first molar on the right so my second molar isn't being moved at all. Considering my teeth are much more crowded on this side I wonder why that should be. I really can't see that there will be enough room in my mouth to straighten these teeth without moving the second molar back. I'm sure my dentist knows what she's doing but I'm just impatient to start seeing results!

Aligner #2 no problems so far.

I changed to aligner #2 today, I'm wearing my first 3 sets of aligners for 15 days each. This is because my dentist is on her maternity leave until August 11th when I see her again for my attachments.

So far I'm finding the process pretty easy to cope with, I'm managing to wear my aligners for at least 22 hours per day and haven't suffered any major pain. I actually prefer to have my aligners on as my teeth feel unstable without them!

I don't see any difference in my teeth but nonetheless I've posted some pictures as I think it will be interesting to see if others can see any change.

Aligner #3 of 32

I started on Aligner 3 yesterday evening. Nothing much to report but I think the extraction gap is looking ever so slightly smaller.

Attachments update.

Today I was supposed to have my attachments fitted and start on aligner #4. Unfortunately when my dentist tried out the aligners the bottom one wasn't fitting correctly. Therefore, I have to keep aligner #3 in for another week to see if this helps. Needless to say I'm very dissapointed as I can't see how keeping the aligners in for another week us going to help the next one fit any better. I can envisage having to have more impressions taken and wait a few more weeks for new aligners to arrive. I was so depressed at this prospect that I actually cried on my way home.

Crack in aligner

I've got a problem and wondered if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I am on tray 3 and the tray has a crack between my right central incisor and right lateral incisor. Will this effect my treatment? I was supposed to have attachments and tray 4 fitted on Monday but the bottom aligner wasn't fitting correctly. I'm concerned I'll have to wait for replacements which can take weeks due to me being in the UK. Will it be possible to have the attachments put on just my upper teeth and progress to tray 4 before my new lower aligners are received? I don't want to have to go back to tray 2 as it will delay my treatment even further. I've posted a question on here to see if any doctors can help, I don't want to bother my dentist as she's on maternity leave so only doing a few appointments for Invisalign patients.

Attachments on and aligner #4

I had my attachments fitted this morning and got aligners 4-6. The aligners are very ill fitting but my dentist didn't seem too concerned and told me the next set will probably be a better fit. I was very concerned about removing them at lunchtime but they came off without too much of a struggle. However, when I was brushing my teeth after lunch one of the attachments fell off! I called the surgery and was told it won't matter and to wait for my next appointment, (22 September) and the attachment will be put back on. I enquired whether this delay will effect my treatment and was told that it won't. I'm quite concerned about this as I've read some doctor's answers on here and there are conflicting opinions. I've attached a photo of my teeth with aligners on. The attachment which fell off is the one on my upper right canine.

Aligner #5

Since starting aligner #4 and getting attachments I have lost 6 of the attachments. I visited the dentist today and have had them re-attached and have started on aligner #5. Aligner 4 was not fitting correctly and my mouth got very sore over the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping that I won't have the same problem with this latest aligner. I've attached a picture of my teeth with aligner 5 but can't see any major changes apart from my extraction gap has closed a little.

Aligner #6 no change

I started aligner #6 today, I can't see any change in my teeth yet, in fact I actually think they're looking even more crooked! Early days I suppose?

Collected trays 7-9

I saw my dentist today and I collected trays 7-9. Everything so going to plan and I had my teeth de-scaled as there was a little build up of tartare on the backs of the bottom teeth. I've added a photo of trays 1 and 9 for comparison. I can see subtle changes but nothing major. My dentist had sent me my clincheck video but unfortunately I can't view it. I think it's because I have an iMac and don't have the correct software on there. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if so how I can solve it.

Clincheck pictures

I've managed to view my clincheck video on a friend's laptop and have taken some screenshots of my before and after stages. I've posted a picture of them on here.

Started aligned #8

Today I've started on aligned #8, so far I've had no soreness but I expect to have some tomorrow based on previous experience. I've added some photos of my teeth before Invisalign and extraction and my teeth this morning before starting #8. I can see a change in my lower teeth but my uppers look just as awful as they always have. After this aligned I shall be a quarter of the way through treatment so I'm hoping things start improving soon.

I'm going to Turkey on holiday tomorrow so I'm not sure how im going to cope with having my aligners in for the recommended 22 hours. I may have to keep this one in for an extra week if I'm not able to comply with the 22 hour rule.

Aligner #9

Started Aligner #9 yesterday so I'm now one quarter of my way through my treatment. I've posted a picture of before Invisalign and a picture taken this morning. I can see changes with my bottom teeth but no noticeable change with the lower ones.

Latest pictures.

Pictures before Invisalign and start of tray #9.

Aligner #10

I started Aligner #10 today. I can't see any changes with my top teeth which has been concerning me. However, when I saw my dentist last week she assured me I will see significant improvement by Aligner #16.

More photos

I have found a photo taken in June when I was wearing Aligner #1 and compared to Aligner #10 I can see a change in my teeth. Although my top right canine and lateral incisor are still crooked I can see that my back teeth have widened out to make room. This really has boosted my confidence that everything is going to plan. I would recommend that other invisaligners keep a photo diary just as I have to see the progress they're making.

Aligner #12 some improvement!

I've started Aligner #12 and can see some improvement at last! I gave an appointment in one week and will collect trays 13-15.

Aligner #14

I started on Aligner #14 today. I can't see any change since my last update.

Aligner #15 Almost half way through!

I'm now on Aligner #15 so almost half way through my treatment. This Aligner has started off feeling very tight and I'm suffering from quite bad soreness. I'm also having trouble biting and chewing as my bite has changed significantly. At least these problems mean that the treatment is working.

Aligner #16 almost halfway there!

I started Aligner #16 yesterday so in 2 weeks time I'll be halfway through my treatment. I'm feeling really positive as I can see changes when I compare before and after photos. I'm actually smiling more now and feeling more confident than I ever have! ????

Half way there!

I've now started on aligner #17 of 32 so I'm officially half way through my treatment. I'm not sure how many refinements I'm going to need but I now feel that I'm on the home run and I'm really pleased with the results so far. I've posted a pre-Invisalign picture versus a picture taken today and can see a vast improvement.

Aligner #22 of 32

Today I collected aligners 22-24. My dentist is very pleased with my progress and has told me I may not need all 32, she's going to monitor the situation and we may go for 30 trays followed by a few refinements. I can't believe how much my teeth have changed and how much confidence it's given me. I've even posted a few family photographs on Facebook with me actually smiling for the first time. ????

Almost there!

I'm now wearing aligner #25 and am really pleased with my progress. My teeth are almost straight, just a couple on the top arch need to straighten up slightly and the same with my bottom arch. Just 7 sets of aligners to go and then I'll be having the attachments taken off, teeth polished and impressions taken for refinements if needed or my retainer if not. The last year has passed so quickly and my confidence has improved more than I ever thought possible.

Almost there

I'm now half way through aligner 31 of 32. I haven't seen much change over the last few aligners and am looking forward to having my attachments removed and getting my retainer at the end of September.

Latest pic

Pic didn't download, I'll try again!

Attachments off, deciding what to do about refinements.

Yesterday I had my attachments removed and discussed refinements with my dentist. I'm really happy with my results and I'm not sure what to do next. I think one of my bottom teeth, left canine, is still not quite in the position I would like it to be. It's only a minuscule adjustment that would be needed but I'm not sure if I want to go through what could be 3 or 4 months of aligners to fix it. Anyway my dentist has told me to think about it and if I decide to go with refinements to let her know and she'll do impressions for more trays. I have made an appointment to have a couple of fillings, top left incisor and top right lateral incisor, to repair an old chip and make my lateral incisor look the same shape as the left one. After these fillings I'll have impressions for my retainers and teeth whitening. This appointment is in 3 weeks so it gives me time to consider the refinement problem and come to a discussion. If I decide to go ahead with the refinements then impressions will be taken and I'll be back in Invisalign! I've posted some pictures, the one of my lower teeth shows the canine which is not quite in place and as you'll see it's not bad but I'm not sure if I'll regret not fixing it if I opt out of refinements.
Oasis Dental