53 Year Old Female in UK Finally Getting my Teeth Straightened! - United Kingdom

I'm 53 years old and live in the UK. I've always...

I'm 53 years old and live in the UK. I've always hated my teeth which are very crowded and crooked. I've finally plucked up the courage to do something about it and have decided to go ahead with Invisalign.

I first visited my dentist about one month ago to discuss the possibility of having my teeth straightened and she recommended Invisalign. After having my impressions taken I have had to wait until today for my treatment plan to come back from the US and have just seen my dentist to see the pictures.

My dentist wasn't happy with the expected results as my top teeth midline was slightly off to the right on the final outcome so she doing some adjustments to the plan and has suggested an extraction of one of my bottom teeth.

The plan that came back has 49 trays which would mean almost 2 years of treatment not allowing for refinements. I'm perfectly happy to go through this length of treatment if it means I can finally smile without embarrassment but my dentist I'd hoping we can reduce this with the extraction.

I'm waiting for a phone call in a couple of days to see the changes she's made to my plan and hopefully it will only be a couple more weeks before I can start my treatment.

Welcome to the community!  And congratulations on finally doing this for yourself.  Two years seems totally reasonable for the amount of crowding you have, but I'm glad to hear the doctor is looking out for you.

I am surprised that your doctor was worried about midline issues, but still suggested removing only one tooth.  We have another community member, Henry Z, who had a bottom tooth extracted and will end up with a tooth in the midline.  He knew this going in and isn't concerned about it.  I just want to make sure that your doctor has shown you how they will avoid the midline issue if only extracting one tooth.  It should be obvious on the ClinCheck when the changes are made and they show it to you.

Has your doctor talked to you about AcceleDent at all?  Some doctors believe they are capable of shortening your treatment time (basically cutting it in half) but the device itself is expensive, even when bought second-hand.  We have a good number of people here on RealSelf who are using it and switch trays once per week instead of every two weeks.

You are definitely not alone in getting your teeth fixed later.  A lot of us are going back once we can afford it ourselves and/or are no longer worried about the stigma like we were as children.  Here is a list of some of our older Invisaligners, but just some of them, because we're the fastest growing group of Invisaligners, so there are a lot of us ;).

MsKityCity is almost done. She's in her 60s and has had a very smooth treatment.
shawnward is 52 and about a month into treatment.
AreYouKiddingMe is 50 and relatively new to treatment.
adam1995 is the same age as you, but also had braces before (in high school).
humbleoracle just started Invisalign not too long ago for her 50th birthday :D.
Gwenifer started about the same time and is 55.
knitsew is our newest just before you and is 57.

I hope you find great support in the community, and I look forward to following your progress!!!  Please do keep us posted :D.
Hi and thank you for your good wishes and advice and also for informing me about other community members using Invisalign. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear regarding my dentist's concerns about midline issues. The reason there was a midline issue with my top teeth is that I have an old extraction on the left side, my first molar, which means that there is a small gap on that side. As my teeth are less crowded on that side and the results from Invisalign closed the gap it would have made my top midline move slightly to the left making it off centre. My dentist has suggested making changes to the plan which wouldn't close the gap as it really isn't an issue for me. As for my bottom teeth, as they're very crowded she has suggested extracting my canine tooth on the right side in order to hopefully reduce the treatment time. She has informed me that this could cause a midline issue with my bottom teeth so it hasn't yet been decided if the extraction will go ahead. Im just waiting to see the new plan which we'll discuss and decide on the best way forward. To be perfectly honest I'm not really concerned about the time span of my treatment as I've been conscious of my teeth for so long I'm happy to take the time to get them looking good. As for Accelerate, she hasn't mentioned it, and after doing some research of my own, I can't seem to find many Dental practices in the UK that offer it. I think there are maybe some in London, but I live a 3.5 hour drive from London so it isn't practical for me to have a dentist so far away. As it is I'm having to travel an hour each way to visit my present dentist. I'm so pleased I've finally made the decision to have my teeth straightened, I had a lot of problems with my milk teeth and had to have several extractions which I found very traumatic and was terrified of the dentist for years. In my teens the dentist suggested that I have a few extractions and braces and at the time it was definitely not cool to have braces! There were a couple of girls in my class who had them and they were constantly teased about them by other uncaring children and I don't think I would have coped with that. I will be posting updates here regularly and have found this site to be most informative and supportive. Thank you once again. Regards Carolyn
Thank you!  That was the clarification I needed :D.  And yeah, AcceleDent is so expensive (between 600 and 1000 pounds) that if you don't care about the time, it's not likely worth the expense for you.  Some people purchase their own second-hand units so they don't need to change doctors, but even those are in the 400 pound range.  Not cheap.

I'm so excited for you, that you are going to get to do this!  The changes you will see will be truly dramatic and inspiring, and your dental hygiene will get so much easier!  I can't wait to follow your journey!!!!

Appointment on Wednesday to see my updated pictures.

Just a quick update. I have an appointment on Wednesday to see the changes my dentist has made to my plan. I have found out today that she starts her maternity leave on Friday, baby due mid July and she 's back at work at the end of September. I'm really hoping this isn't going to delay me starting my treatment as I shall be quite depressed if it does. Fingers crossed that another dentist can take over my case until my dentist is back.

I agree with Nicky.j.  Honestly, I hardly ever saw my orthodontist, since most of the time it's just making sure your teeth are tracking with the trays.  The major work is done in the fashioning of the treatment plan and manufacturing of the trays.  Then you do the heavy lifting with complying with keeping them in your mouth (ie. the hard part). ;).  An assistant could do the majority of your appointments.  IPR would be an exception but another doctor could do that if necessary.  So yeah, just ask :).
I doubt that the maternity leave will delay the start, otherwise she would have said? I went today to my orthodontist to get my attachment out back on, she leaves for maternity in a few weeks. My next appointment is with her colleague but she said that she would be back for my appointment after that. When you go back this week, ask who will start your treatment and review whilst she is out.....I'm sure she has a plan! Good luck with the appointment and let me know what she says!

Plan finalised and aligners ordered!

I've had my appointment to see my final plan and my dentist and I are very happy with it so I'm going ahead. My aligners have been ordered and my dentist is going to call me when they arrive and arrange an appointment. She's kindly taking time out of her maternity leave as I'm having an extraction, one of my bottom incisors. My plan now consists of 32 trays which I'm very happy about as the original plan was 49 trays. When I'm ready to start tray 3 I'm having my attachments fitted, there are an awful lot of them, almost every tooth and 2 on some. I know this is going to a long journey and I may encounter difficulties along the way, but I'm determined to see it through so I can smile with confidence for the first time in my life.

Good Luck with your treatment! I can really relate to your comment about looking forward to smiling with confidence for the first time! It is so exciting watching the changes that happen! Viewing your Clinicheck video helps a lot, you should try to obtain a copy. Pain and discomfort initially if you get it is short- lived. Looking forward to watching your transformation!
Thank you for your good wishes. I'm so excited about starting this process. Good luck with your treatment and please keep in touch so we can compare notes!! X
great news! 32 trays is much better! I also had attachments on tray 3..and have two on some teeth too. I can say that they are not as bad as I thought! Obviously, it would be ideal if we didn't have to have the attachments....but as you said think of smiling with confidence at the end of the journey! When is the start date? Are you waiting for your trays to arrive now?

Still waiting!

I'm still waiting for an appointment for my extraction and my first trays. Seems like ages since I started this journey and I seem to be going nowhere! I wondered if anyone else has had to wait so long to start. On average how long should it take to manufacture the trays? The longer I wait the more doubts set in, I'm worrying about my extraction and having a gap in my bottom front teeth. I'll update as soon as I have a date to start.

I'm sorry you've had to wait, now that you made this decision. It's common to wait between two and six weeks for trays and sometimes longer in Europe. But most people seem to be in the two to three week range. It was three weeks for me and I'm in the US. :)

Good news!

Good news, my aligners have arrived and I have an appointment on Thursday for extraction and first tray!! So excited. ????

Super-exciting!!!  Tell us how the extraction goes, though :)  Can't wait to see your next update!
Yay!!! Good luck and welcome to the invisalign club :/)

Extraction done and 1st aligners on!

I've had my extraction and am wearing my first aligners. I'm a little concerned as I'm not feeling any of the tightness described by other invisaligners. Also there seems to be quite a lot of spaces at the tops of my aligners where my teeth don't seem to fit snugly. I've added some photos and hope they show these spaces. My next appointment, for attachments is August 11th.

Do you have any chewies?  They will help you seat the aligners all the way onto your teeth.  Also, the discomfort usually doesn't start for several hours.  It'll likely be worse tomorrow :)  Here's a video about Invisalign and it shows how to use chewies as well.

Hi, thank you for posting the videos for me to look at. I don't have any chewies and my dentist didn't mention them. I think I may give the practice a call tomorrow and ask about them.
My chewies came in my pack from invisalign along with 2 cases! But I also bought spares from amazon. When my aligners first went in they were tight then about 15 mins later they felt ok. The time I really noticed was when I took them out and tried to eat during days 1-3. My teeth were really tender then. You get used to wearing them and don't forget we all have different pain thresholds :-) so pleased you've started the journey!!

Day 5 update

I've now been wearing my aligners 5 days. Im not suffering from the gagging reflex anymore and don't really have bad pain. I did wake up this morning with a slight headache so took some painkillers which seem to have done the trick. My mouth is very sore so I have purchased some Anbesol Gel and some Corsodyl mouthwash to try and relieve the soreness.

I'm managing to stick to a good routine, 20 minutes for breakfast, half an hour for lunch and 40 minutes for dinner. Adding my cleaning, flossing routine to this I'm well within my 2 hours without my aligners.

I actually feel relieved when I get them back in because my teeth feel a little unstable without them. I'm sure they're not actually loose or in danger of falling out but I can definitely feel a difference even after such a short time.

No one at work noticed my aligners but I'm sure things will change once I get my attachments. I think I'm probably deliberately avoiding conversations with colleagues because I feel very self conscious about the gap left by my extraction. I shall be glad when this gap is closed and hopefully then I'll feel less self conscious.

I'm going to London for 3 days tomorrow and will be eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner so I'm quite concerned how I'm going to manage with my removing aligners, eating, cleaning teeth and replacing aligners routine.

I now have some Chewies to try and solve the problem I have with gaps between my teeth and my aligners. One thing I'm a little concerned about is that my aligners end on my upper first molar on the right so my second molar isn't being moved at all. Considering my teeth are much more crowded on this side I wonder why that should be. I really can't see that there will be enough room in my mouth to straighten these teeth without moving the second molar back. I'm sure my dentist knows what she's doing but I'm just impatient to start seeing results!

Great to hear you got the chewies!  I hope they do the trick :).  As for your teeth feeling loose, they absolutely are.  They're not in danger of falling out, though, just as you said.  But generally, your teeth will be somewhat loose throughout your treatment.  It's one of the reasons some people feel uncomfortable eating very chewy things while they're in treatment.  Another reason is that as your bite shifts, your teeth may not line up well for a while, which makes chewing difficult.

I'd probably feel self-conscious about the gap as well, but I honestly cannot imagine anyone looking at what you're going through and judging you negatively for it.  I mean, you deserve to fix your teeth, and you had to pull one to get it done.  If you're very concerned, though, Invisalign does make pontics and you can ask your doctor about them (it's a white thing that goes in your tray).

It's very common for second molars not to be included in your treatment.  Generally, concerns like that are best addressed by watching your ClinCheck, either on your own or with your doctor to explain what's going on :).

As for your trip to London--have fun, and good luck!  I don't have any wisdom about eating out because I did it maybe once (never thrice in a day) and I just made sure to have my case with me, and I used the restaurant's bathroom to brush.  I know a few others in the community have recently traveled (cruises) and such.  They may have more wisdom.  AreYouKiddingMe did that and she learned a lot. :)

Aligner #2 no problems so far.

I changed to aligner #2 today, I'm wearing my first 3 sets of aligners for 15 days each. This is because my dentist is on her maternity leave until August 11th when I see her again for my attachments.

So far I'm finding the process pretty easy to cope with, I'm managing to wear my aligners for at least 22 hours per day and haven't suffered any major pain. I actually prefer to have my aligners on as my teeth feel unstable without them!

I don't see any difference in my teeth but nonetheless I've posted some pictures as I think it will be interesting to see if others can see any change.

All seems to be going well for you! I will say that after I had the attachments on the trays felt much tighter...but now after more weeks I have completely adjusted again! August 11th isn't too long to wait either. I am noticing small changes in mine (camera angle helps!) and that was after attachments were on too. Try to get the clincheck video (get the dentist to email it to you). I pause mine, quarter and half way through to see what things are expected to look like....it helps me not to worry about little things. It may also show you the gap closing? Also when you go for the attachments they may give you a few more trays and it is great to put them next to tray one to see the changes to be expect! Take care!
Hi there, yes all is going well, I don't have pain and am used to wearing my aligners. I will ask about having my clincheck emailed when I next see my dentist. I must admit that I have compared tray 1 with tray 3 and the gap is significantly smaller. I'm starting tray 3 on Saturday so I imagine it will feel tight and I may have some pain but I know what to expect now. I'm a little concerned about having my attachments because there are so many of them and there are a lot of comments on here about how difficult the trays are to remove with attachments. You seem to be coping well and I can definitely see a change in your teeth!
Luckily I didn't have to have any extraction . Initially , I was told I will have to have two teeth taken out but I wasn't very happy. My dentist requested from Invisalign two visualisations : for predicted changes with tests taken out and not. The difference was very slight . I was so happy that I actually asked if extraction is necessary and didn't go with the first suggested version. I know in some circumstances it is necessary but this time I was lucky

Aligner #3 of 32

I started on Aligner 3 yesterday evening. Nothing much to report but I think the extraction gap is looking ever so slightly smaller.

I agree about the extraction gap.  Definitely!  Keep up the good work, and thank for the update :D.

Attachments update.

Today I was supposed to have my attachments fitted and start on aligner #4. Unfortunately when my dentist tried out the aligners the bottom one wasn't fitting correctly. Therefore, I have to keep aligner #3 in for another week to see if this helps. Needless to say I'm very dissapointed as I can't see how keeping the aligners in for another week us going to help the next one fit any better. I can envisage having to have more impressions taken and wait a few more weeks for new aligners to arrive. I was so depressed at this prospect that I actually cried on my way home.

Thank you for updating us, and I'm sorry you were disappointed :(.  Sometimes the teeth don't track well for whatever reason, and if you move to the next aligner before they fit well in the previous, they may have even more trouble moving the teeth this time.  It will also be significantly more painful, but the main thing is that the roots are difficult to move, and so forcing the teeth to move before they're ready may not bring the roots along as they should, and you may not have a stable result.  I think it's more difficult for those of us who, like you, have so many aligners to go through.  At one point I had to stay in one set of aligners for a month and a half, but for me, it wasn't that big of a deal, because I only have 15 +6 refinements.  You look ahead of you and see a long journey.  But after 8 or 9 aligners, I think you'll feel like it's all old-hat and you'll be seeing progress and things will be mostly unnoticeable, except for the progress.  It's much easier to feel positive once you've gotten a few more aligners in--but until then, sticking it out is pure willpower.

And venting here on RealSelf!  We can take it :).
Thanks for your comments. I can see that my dentist only has my best interests in mind and so obviously doesn't want to rush my treatment if I'm not ready for the next stage. It is frustrating and I guess I'm just too impatient, but after finally making the decision and plucking up the courage to do this I can't wait to see the final result. I do feel much better about things today and feel a little silly for getting so emotional about the situation. I think, as you say, once I can see progress I will feel much more positive. Thank you again, it helps to have support from others who have gone through or are going through the same treatment.
I'm glad to hear things are a little better today.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  Seriously--sometimes you have a bad day, or your mood is down, and suddenly going through this seems insurmountable.  Getting bad news on top can be too much sometimes.  On those days, when our personal reserves are empty, outside support is key.  I have certainly benefited in my years here on RealSelf, LOL!

Crack in aligner

I've got a problem and wondered if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I am on tray 3 and the tray has a crack between my right central incisor and right lateral incisor. Will this effect my treatment? I was supposed to have attachments and tray 4 fitted on Monday but the bottom aligner wasn't fitting correctly. I'm concerned I'll have to wait for replacements which can take weeks due to me being in the UK. Will it be possible to have the attachments put on just my upper teeth and progress to tray 4 before my new lower aligners are received? I don't want to have to go back to tray 2 as it will delay my treatment even further. I've posted a question on here to see if any doctors can help, I don't want to bother my dentist as she's on maternity leave so only doing a few appointments for Invisalign patients.

I ripped my aligner on a couple of occasions during my treatment (after I'd gotten attachments).  My doctor said it'd be fine until the end of the aligner (about a week) at the time.  Whether your doctor is willing to progress unevenly is their call.  There is nothing technically that says you can't put attachments on only one arch at a time (they're always put on one arch at a time) but it may be prohibitively expensive for your doctor's office to do that kind of thing, as it means extra visits.  So they are the best ones to discuss this with.

Did your doctor try on the next-in-sequence bottom aligner before ordering off for new ones?  I've read many instances here on RealSelf of one aligner not fitting, but the next fitting fine.  I don't know whether it's good practice to move patients along in that way, but doctors do it.  I ask because it is possible that you would be able to move forward with both arches even while new aligners are being made.  Still, in the end, it's up to your doctor, so I would contact the office.  I think they will decide whether or not they need to call in your doctor.  I'm assuming your doctor has a staff that she works with and that the entire office is not closed down.  If it is, then I would say it's worth contacting your doctor, especially if you don't get a quick answer here on RealSelf from our Q&A.
Hi, my dentist only tried on aligner 4 and said that as it didn't fit I would have to stay in aligner 3 for another week. She said if it still doesn't fit she will have to order new ones. I guess that will mean impressions being taken again on my bottom teeth and a long wait for the aligners to come back from the USA. At the moment I feel as if I've taken one step forward and two steps back which is quite depressing when I see the progress others have made on here. I was hoping to be finished by November 2015 for my daughter's graduation but I can see this journey being a long one at the rate I'm progressing.
Remember that your teeth will look significantly different by then, even if you're not done with your treatment.  You won't even recognize yourself in a year from now.  Don't lose hope!  And there's still always trying for a used AcceleDent if you get desperate.  But don't get too disheartened yet.  The beginning is always difficult, when you cannot see significant progress.  And that fourth tray may end up fitting.

Attachments on and aligner #4

I had my attachments fitted this morning and got aligners 4-6. The aligners are very ill fitting but my dentist didn't seem too concerned and told me the next set will probably be a better fit. I was very concerned about removing them at lunchtime but they came off without too much of a struggle. However, when I was brushing my teeth after lunch one of the attachments fell off! I called the surgery and was told it won't matter and to wait for my next appointment, (22 September) and the attachment will be put back on. I enquired whether this delay will effect my treatment and was told that it won't. I'm quite concerned about this as I've read some doctor's answers on here and there are conflicting opinions. I've attached a photo of my teeth with aligners on. The attachment which fell off is the one on my upper right canine.

If your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be.  Remember that not all the teeth are being worked on at the same time.  They may not really need to use those attachments at this stage in your treatment :).  I'm sorry you lost one, though.  I went through my entire treatment only losing one or two, so I hope this is your only time!  It can be bothersome if it happens a lot!

Aligner #5

Since starting aligner #4 and getting attachments I have lost 6 of the attachments. I visited the dentist today and have had them re-attached and have started on aligner #5. Aligner 4 was not fitting correctly and my mouth got very sore over the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping that I won't have the same problem with this latest aligner. I've attached a picture of my teeth with aligner 5 but can't see any major changes apart from my extraction gap has closed a little.

Wow, were the attachments on six different teeth?  Or were some multiple on single teeth?  And how long were you without the attachments?  I guess it was different amounts of time. :)

At this early date, I think that the extraction is the only reason we can see anything at all.  But it's really motivating to see something this early!  You have to make so much room before those front teeth can fall in line.  Were you ever able to get your ClinCheck, by the way?
Hi there, I lost one attachment on the first day I had them, just over 2 weeks ago and the remainder in quick succession after that. I had lost all 6 within a few days and certainly during the first week. One of them was on a tooth with an individual attachment and all others on teeth which had two attachments, I have 24 attachments altogether. I haven't been able to get my ClinCheck as yet. I wanted to look at it yesterday but my dentist was having to use the only available treatment room, (she came into work from her maternity leave specifically to see me), and didn't have the Invisalign software installed on the PC. My new aligners, set 5 are very tight and i struggle to remove them to eat! I went into panic mode yesterday evening trying to remove them while my dinner grew cold on the table and I've ruined all of my previously beautifully manicured fingernails. I keep telling myself it will be worth it when I'm finally finished in approximately 1 year from now.
It's rough in the beginning with the attachments :(.  They kind of wear down after a while (if you don't have to keep getting them replaced!  Which would not be normal,) and it becomes much, much easier to remove the aligners.  Each individual set of aligners will get easier to remove, of course, as you wear it, even with the attachments.  But overall, once the attachments wear out a little, even the first day, the aligner will come out easier.

Aligner #6 no change

I started aligner #6 today, I can't see any change in my teeth yet, in fact I actually think they're looking even more crooked! Early days I suppose?

Just read your comments and can see you only have tray 6. As soon as you get 7 to 9 take a comparison pic of tray 1 and tray 9 :)
Some days around 5-7 I thought my teeth looked worse as they made room etc...Two things keep me going and remain positive. 1) my clincheck photos and video of how things should progress. I would insist that they send a copy to you. I have JPEG copies of mine and it helps! 2) comparing tray 1 to tray 11 (I put the trays next to each other and can see how things will progress. I know you are on tray 6 but do you have number 8 for example? Get it out of the packet and put trays next to set one...you will see a small difference but there will be a difference? Also get your clincheck...it does help see the plan in pictures! Keep going it will be worth it.
Hi, yes I only have up to tray 6 at the moment. I have an appointment on Monday to get my next 3 sets so I'll definitely compare them to tray 1 to see if I can see any changes. I will ask about having my clincheck photos and video, I'm sure being able to see the final result will help mr to feel more positive about the eventual outcome.

Collected trays 7-9

I saw my dentist today and I collected trays 7-9. Everything so going to plan and I had my teeth de-scaled as there was a little build up of tartare on the backs of the bottom teeth. I've added a photo of trays 1 and 9 for comparison. I can see subtle changes but nothing major. My dentist had sent me my clincheck video but unfortunately I can't view it. I think it's because I have an iMac and don't have the correct software on there. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if so how I can solve it.

I can see the difference in the trays! especially top left as you look at the picture. There will only be slight changes at this stage....but there is a difference without a doubt! I could not view clincheck on ipad but can on laptop I use windows media player to view it. Not sure if that helps?

Clincheck pictures

I've managed to view my clincheck video on a friend's laptop and have taken some screenshots of my before and after stages. I've posted a picture of them on here.

Good for you...and US! I am 53 and started traditional ceramic braces last month. I initially wanted Invisalgn but due to my over bite, ortho feared I may need braces afterwards. It sounds like he has a lot more control over ceramics. I don't have any crowding, just overbite and some spaces. Good luck with your journey and congratulations on taking the first step!!!!!
Hi and thank you for your good wishes. I hope you're not finding the braces too uncomfortable and you get the results you want. Good luck to you too. Did you take any before pictures to compare with the end result?
Hello, It took me about 3 days to get used to my braces. I have before pictures but I didn't post since this is more of a invisalign site. I went to ortho today since I had a bracket lose and one fell off. This would not happen with Insalign. Apparently, thats not uncommon with ceramics if attached to crowns. If it happens again they have other ways of keeping them on. One of the most attractive things about Invisalign is you can remove them for cleaning. That's really nice! It takes me a while to clean. Electric toothbrush, little brushes, water pik and weaving dental floss around them and mouth wash. Quite a chore, not to mention what I put on my 53 year old face before bed!!! I don't have any regrets other than I should have had a couple of my favorite apples before I did this. lol

Started aligned #8

Today I've started on aligned #8, so far I've had no soreness but I expect to have some tomorrow based on previous experience. I've added some photos of my teeth before Invisalign and extraction and my teeth this morning before starting #8. I can see a change in my lower teeth but my uppers look just as awful as they always have. After this aligned I shall be a quarter of the way through treatment so I'm hoping things start improving soon.

I'm going to Turkey on holiday tomorrow so I'm not sure how im going to cope with having my aligners in for the recommended 22 hours. I may have to keep this one in for an extra week if I'm not able to comply with the 22 hour rule.

I definitely see the movement in the bottom--it's significant.  In the top it feels like I can see a difference, specifically in the upper right lateral incisor, but it could also be because the lighting is different.  Still, it is progress!

You need to enjoy your life even when you're in Invisalign! :D, so don't fret too much while you're on vacation, especially if you make 20 hours/day.  If you manage 20/day, I'd ask your doctor if you really need to tack on that extra week.  Fewer than 20/day and you're more likely to need it, but still, your doctor is the arbiter.  They may see fine progress and not require more than a few days.
I can honestly see changes now...this is the first time where I have looked at your pictures and said ' yay wow movement!!' You're on your way to straighter teeth!
I agree! And I see it on the top as well! This is where the fun begins! Good progress!
Oasis Dental