41 Yo Mom of Two Smart Lipo...still Recovering - Oakland, CA

I am in very good shape after two kids, and do...

I am in very good shape after two kids, and do either "the happy body" weights routine or bikram yoga every single day. My entire body is lean and muscular except for a small "donut" of fat around my belly that I couldn't get rid of even when I was 105 lbs on my 40th birthday. (I am 5'1 3/4" tall and normally am btw 110-114 lbs.) I went to Dr. Michael Cedars in Oakland (practices with Katie Rodan of Rodan & Fields), and he is wonderful. However, eight days out from smart lipo on my abdomen (upper/lower plus a tiny bit from the sides), I am really bumming due to the following: 1) I weigh 2-3 lbs more than before the procedure and my clothes don't fit right; 2) my waist is 2" bigger than before the procedure; 3) I am really wanting to get back to my exercise routine and release nervous energy; 4) I am not sure this recovery will be worth it as I'm losing muscle every day and I can't get back to bikram yoga for three more weeks. The procedure went well and I think I am healing as expected - no need for pain meds after first few days, now numb and swollen but otherwise no issues - but I maybe broke something that wasn't broken in the first place. Will update hopefully with progress when I am cleared for exercise. :/

12 days post - back to pre surgery weight

Doctor cleared me for some happy body exercises two days ago, without crunches or twisting moves. Feeling much better, and fitting better into my clothes. Tummy is definitely flatter than before, though this morning I have a hard pooch in my lower stomach. I go back for a checkup August 8...

Wha? Hips and butt are 2" bigger

Not sure if swelling/fluid retention is supposed to happen in non-lipo'ed areas, but I took my measurements this morning and my bust was normal, waist was normal/ maybe an inch bigger than pre lipo, and my hips were 2" bigger than normal. No wonder my work pants were tight yesterday. Today is exactly two weeks post. Ugh...I wish I could sweat out the water retention. I've been eating mostly clean with a few cheat days...

Lumpy bumpy but flat...my pants still don't fit

Well, my recovery is progressing and I hope to be cleared for yoga at my appointment tomorrow. Three weeks and two days later, things are improving, but in my harsh bathroom lightning I see a lot of bumps. Also, my pants size has gone from 2 to 4, and won't com back down. I wonder when the swelling will go away?

Cleared for Bikram!

Still dealing with some swelling and in need of dropping a few lbs gained during the recovery month, but my doctor cleared me for all activities/ dropping my compression garment, and I feel mostly normal again. Tummy is still numb and a bit lumpy but looks okay in gentle lighting.

7.5 weeks out... Feeling good in bikram again

I've noticed swelling toward the end of the day, and I still get weird dents in my stomach from my slightly too tight pants (I gained 5 lbs after surgery and it all went to my hips, legs, butt). Most sensation has returned, except for numbness right around and under my belly button. I am able to do my full bikram practice, and started in week 4 ( only took till the third class to regain my regular torso flexibility and strength). Twisting and stretching was a bit rough at first, but now is okay.
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

He is wonderful, full stop. Very caring and knowledgable with great bedside manner and friendly caring staff.

You looked great even pre-op, but your results are really fantastic.  Congratulations! :)
Your abs look AMAZING!! You can't see any dents. You gained 5 lbs in 2 months?? I didn't think that was possible.
I'm an overachiever...what can I say? Seriously though I probably gained 2-3 real pounds and 2 pounds of puffiness from wrong foods/ water retention.
Wait, my math is off. Was 114 on morning of surgery, went down to 112 three weeks post, crept back up to 115 as of last week and then started cleanse this week. My thinking is that if I was 114 the morning of surgery and got 1-2 lbs sucked out, then I would have to be 112 to have presurgery sized butt and hips, and really my happy weight pre surgery was 110. So I'm all messed up because my weight is similar to surgery day but it means my butt is bigger and pant size is bigger at this weight so I am thinking of it as a gain.
It is definitely swelling,no worries. You look Awesome!
I think you look fantastic!!! I am 6 weeks now and still very bloated and swollen. I am down 8 pounds so what's the deal? Some mornings I wake up and look fantastic, but for the last 2 days really swollen - this is very discouraging. I see your pictures and I really wonder what happened to me. I just keep praying that I'll wake up one AM and I will be flat as a pancake with no swelling!!! I am leaving for Italy tomorrow and was hoping to look way better than I do. Are you wearing spanx or anything during the day? I am still in spanx and have been walking my butt off.
Hi - I still have puffy days and flat days. Today's pics are a "best case scenario" because I'm on day 4 of a 5 day Can-Can Power Cleanse, so my normal "food baby" pooch isn't there. I find that when I have white flour foods, wine, or coffee, the puffiness is worse - which is a bummer because I love all three and am only able to avoid one on a regular basis (breads). I did the cleanse as a kick start because I was afraid I would have to throw out a bunch of tight pants. I am not wearing spanx- I stopped compression at 4 weeks. Hope you have a wonderful trip to Italy! Enjoy.
Thanks BayAreaLatina41 for your comments. I have the same problem with bread - I have to have my coffee and my vino and they don't seem to bother me. I have IBS with constipation so I take a probiotic daily, but sometime bloat out on those days when I can't go. We will have a wonderful time while there - just can't wait till we get there - those long flights scare the crap out of me!!!
How is the healing coming along? Hope all is well.
You're about 1 week ahead of my, but I am not feeling as happy as you. I started powerwalking 5-6 times per week at day 7 - had my weight down 8 1/2 pounds until I made the mistake of eating Chinese this past weekend - way to much sodium - up 1 1/2 pounds. Back to the gym today. I have crease and a hard ridge on my right side above the belly button. I've ben told not to worry since I am almost only 4 weeks out. Will have velashape to help with lymphatic fluid and bumps tomorrow - we shall see. See the ps on Thursday, so I'm to see what he has to say. Will post pictures Thursday before I see him and update on his opinion then. Good luck and keep posting - I think you look great.
I think you look good BayAreaLatina41. I am 27 days post today and am not as happy. I've been assure by a physician on this site not t worry, but that is who I am. I see the velashape tech tomorrow so hopefully she can get rid of the lymphatic fluid and hard ridge on the right side above the belly button that has developed - my PS thinks this is just built up fluid. I am 54 and have been doing my powerwalking regime since day 7 - 50 minutes, 3 miles. I was down 8 1/2 pounds until I made the mistake of eating Chinese Friday - have gained 1 1/2 pounds of fluid - no more salt!!! I will update pictures Thursday before seeing my PS and his evaluation on Thursday - wish me luck!!!
I apologize you're not as happy. I hope your ps can see what is going on and deal wit your concern. I look forward to his/your update. Thank You and hang in there.
It just seems that this "shelf" id not going away and there is a hard ridge under the skin on the right side about 6" long. I will continue to pray for good results and see what happens Thursday. Thank you Bella Besso for your concern.
I have 5 women total including you and BayAreaLatina41 that have a ridge,lup or pouch above belly button or side of belly button or on he side. I am hopin' it's normal and subsides. This concerns me because i will soon be having my abs done. Please keep me posted all the best.
i have spoken to 5 Manic Monday sorry
I certainly will!!! Will update Thursday after PS appointment - I am going to voice my displeasure regarding that area.
Lump not lup the side not he side
Let us know how that Yoga class feels, the first one.  I'm curious if you feel a difference, if you're more tired than usual or feel dehydrated.  3 weeks is so fast!
Have fun at Yoga class and don't over do it. Walking is best for swelling. Happy Monday!
You look great. I, too, am having the same doubts that you initially had. I am only 17 days out and still very swollen. I had velashape at day 10 and I think that might have been a little to soon - the technician worked really hard on the crease area and now it is extremely sore. Thank goodness I don't go in for another round of that for another 9 days!!! The doctor told me this would help with healing, so I did what I was told. Time will tell and until then I will continue eating right, drinking lots of fluids and walking at least 4 miles daily. You look great!!!
Thanks!
love the updated pics :) you are healing nicely.
I know it's frustrating with the swelling.  After my procedures, I swelled for a year!  But it gets better--it may be a few more months or maybe just a couple.  You may have slight swelling even longer.

Are you trying anything for the lumps, like massagers or ultrasound?