41 Yo Mom of Two Smart Lipo...still Recovering - Oakland, CA

I am in very good shape after two kids, and do...

I am in very good shape after two kids, and do either "the happy body" weights routine or bikram yoga every single day. My entire body is lean and muscular except for a small "donut" of fat around my belly that I couldn't get rid of even when I was 105 lbs on my 40th birthday. (I am 5'1 3/4" tall and normally am btw 110-114 lbs.) I went to Dr. Michael Cedars in Oakland (practices with Katie Rodan of Rodan & Fields), and he is wonderful. However, eight days out from smart lipo on my abdomen (upper/lower plus a tiny bit from the sides), I am really bumming due to the following: 1) I weigh 2-3 lbs more than before the procedure and my clothes don't fit right; 2) my waist is 2" bigger than before the procedure; 3) I am really wanting to get back to my exercise routine and release nervous energy; 4) I am not sure this recovery will be worth it as I'm losing muscle every day and I can't get back to bikram yoga for three more weeks. The procedure went well and I think I am healing as expected - no need for pain meds after first few days, now numb and swollen but otherwise no issues - but I maybe broke something that wasn't broken in the first place. Will update hopefully with progress when I am cleared for exercise. :/

12 days post - back to pre surgery weight

Doctor cleared me for some happy body exercises two days ago, without crunches or twisting moves. Feeling much better, and fitting better into my clothes. Tummy is definitely flatter than before, though this morning I have a hard pooch in my lower stomach. I go back for a checkup August 8...

Wha? Hips and butt are 2" bigger

Not sure if swelling/fluid retention is supposed to happen in non-lipo'ed areas, but I took my measurements this morning and my bust was normal, waist was normal/ maybe an inch bigger than pre lipo, and my hips were 2" bigger than normal. No wonder my work pants were tight yesterday. Today is exactly two weeks post. Ugh...I wish I could sweat out the water retention. I've been eating mostly clean with a few cheat days...

Lumpy bumpy but flat...my pants still don't fit

Well, my recovery is progressing and I hope to be cleared for yoga at my appointment tomorrow. Three weeks and two days later, things are improving, but in my harsh bathroom lightning I see a lot of bumps. Also, my pants size has gone from 2 to 4, and won't com back down. I wonder when the swelling will go away?

Cleared for Bikram!

Still dealing with some swelling and in need of dropping a few lbs gained during the recovery month, but my doctor cleared me for all activities/ dropping my compression garment, and I feel mostly normal again. Tummy is still numb and a bit lumpy but looks okay in gentle lighting.

7.5 weeks out... Feeling good in bikram again

I've noticed swelling toward the end of the day, and I still get weird dents in my stomach from my slightly too tight pants (I gained 5 lbs after surgery and it all went to my hips, legs, butt). Most sensation has returned, except for numbness right around and under my belly button. I am able to do my full bikram practice, and started in week 4 ( only took till the third class to regain my regular torso flexibility and strength). Twisting and stretching was a bit rough at first, but now is okay.
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

He is wonderful, full stop. Very caring and knowledgable with great bedside manner and friendly caring staff.