Expensive, Painful, Ugly Regret - New York, NY

I was skeptical about joining this blog because I...

I was skeptical about joining this blog because I am so embarrassed. I am use to hiding my tattoo instead of showing it and talking about it. I was 19, head over heels and my soon to be husband got my name tattooed on his neck. So what do I do in return.. get his name tattooed on my boob/chest ofcourse. It's close to my heart, I'm in love yea! 5 years later, no! The name looked great, I would get compliments and everything. Then the relationship went sour and I saw that he got my name covered up, so what did I do.. yup, got a little twisted one night and got his name covered up. Except, my cover up turned out like Shit and his actually looked ok. Just days after getting the cover up I started regretting it. I wanted it as small as possible, so to cover the name it had to be extremely dark ugh I wish I knew that. If your thinking about getting a cover up please do your research. 8 months later and extensive research on laser tattoo removal, I finally found someone to start with (because I was so scared I would mess it up even worse) Dr. Jessica krant in nyc. She has the picosure Machine and her reviews were excellent. I went to my first treatment last week and I am extremely nervous and anxious to see the results. I know it will take a long time because the tattoo is so dark and I'm west Indian so my skin is Brown (skin type iv) the darker the skin the more challenging the removal. I was told there was a chance I could lose all my skin color where the tattoo is being removed. And it could come back or it could disappear forever. I can't explain how much regret I feel for doing such s stupid thing. I am constantly beating myself up over it. I have had to change my wardrobe. I can no longer show cleavage, not even a little bit. Hopefully this picosure removal works because I am so tired of hiding this ugly tattoo. I just want it gone forever!

1 week & 5 days later

There Is a little bit of fading. I hope to see more fading in the coming weeks.

3 weeks after 1st Pico

I still don't see much fading... I forget this is a long process and I need to be patient.

picosure removal #2

Just got my second treatment of picosure today, it hurt more than I remember.. I asked her to turn up the setting being that my skin didn't react badly the first time and I didn't see much fading. I'm feeling very hopeful. I'm more Sore, swollen and red than the last session, but hopefully that's a good sign and I see good results.

2 weeks after picosure treatment#2

I see some fading, I see some hypopigmentation also. Hopefully my skin color decides to come back or else I'm postponing my next treatment until it does. I heard rubbing ginger root on it helps the color come back :-\ I may start trying it! Don't judge me lol

2 weeks after picosure treatment #2

picosure #2

Slight fading, still frustrated. It's almost summer, it sucks having to be restricted in what I wear. Hoping by next summer I can be a regular person again.
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Keep positive and keep going to your sessions and it will fade! I've been working on mine since December and now it's almost gone!:) hope all goes well and do check out the medlite laser.
Hey, I know its slow but it does look like there's been some change. Its frustrating to always feel the need to cover it, but maybe you can cover it during the day and wear what you want during the night when you don't have to worry about sunlight, that's what i try to do. How long are you waiting between treatments? Good luck!
I keep it covered all the time because it's so ugly! I'm waiting 8 weeks between treatments at least. I want my skin to be as normal as possible after.
Hi there. Don't be disheartened, it can take a couple of treatments to notice a difference in some cases. It's thought that the Picosure laser isn't great for reds and that the 532nm wavelength with a q-switch laser is best for this colour. Have you maybe thought about trying that for your next treatment? A quick online search will provide loads of info for you. :-)
Hi thank you for the feedback, I've thought about the q switch, but I was hoping to do picosure to get rid of the black then I'd do the qswitch if the red is still there. This whole thing is so frustrating, from an unwanted name tattoo to an unwanted tattoo cover-up. It just never ends for me. :-'thanks for your help though.
Glad you took the time to update us :) What setting did you go up to?
Lol I am embarrassed of my tattoos as well. Don't beat yourself up, it will probably be funny in 30 years :) good luck
nice healing- doesn't look like you got hypopigmentation at all!! Hope you see more fading soon though:)
Fingers are crossed for you - keep us posted :)
Hi, I know you hate your tattoo and I totally understand but it's not that bad at all! Also, it looks like it didn't scar at all. Sometimes chest tattoos have a thicker raised look. Dr. Krant sounds really nice BUT... I am surprised that she is going ahead with removal on your skin. Picosure is not advised for your skin tone. You clearly have beautiful even toned skin- you don't want to loose any of the natural color!!! It may take longer, but there are q-switched lasers that are much better and many people with much darker skin using them without scarring. I would have another consultation with an doctor experienced with removing tattoos from someone with skin type iv- without loss of pigment or scarring. It seems PICO has a lot of hypopigmentation issues even with very pale individuals! You will see when it heals of course and then decide. And as she said, even if it is hypopigmented- time will heal it a lot! Good luck- I hope I have heard wrong! All the best:)
Thank you, I did go to a couple of q switch laser consultations but when I dug deeper it seemed like picosure was the one with less side affects and better results. I just did my first session last week so I'll see how it goes and go from there. Dr.Grant will only do ny treatments every 8 weeks and she said she wants to do it on the more sensitive setting to see how my skin reacts. If I see hyperpignentation I'll consider the q switch.
Hi, I understand how you're feeling but at least here now and won't have to go through it alone. We all make mistakes sometimes and, ultimately, your body doesn't define you. You're one step closer to being rid of that tattoo now. Please let me know how things go with Dr. Krant, as I have a consultation with her in a few weeks. She seems good, so I'm hopeful! Good luck!
Thank you for your encouraging words. Dr.krant is very sweet, I like her a lot. She held my hand and comforted me through the whole procedure. She is a bit pricey but I rather go to her than some amateur that doesn't know what they're doing. I will be sure to post some pics as soon as my scabs go away, that way it'll be easier to see the fading. I'm really anxious here!
I feel anxious too, but at least you have started the process. My tattoo is pretty new so I have to wait for it to heal, but I imagine getting going feels nice. Hows your recovery going? Hope you're starting to see some fading and aren't in too much pain. Would you mind sharing how much she's charging/how many treatments she's estimating you'll need please? I have a consultation in about a month but am trying to estimate a budget in the mean time - the anticipation's killing me!
seeing slight fading but nothing significant. She is charging $450 a session every 8 weeks and she estimates 8-10 cuz it's a cover up tattoo and it's very dark black.
Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with everything! It's expensive, but I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end.
Hi there. Well everyone is here because we have made tattoo mistakes. I have two huge mistakes on my arms. One is new and the other old. I used to like wearing t shirt and showing skin...now I hide my arms. So I know what you mean. At least you're doing something in the right direction. Don't beat yourself up too bad. We're all in the same boat here.
Well said devildogg79!! Let's not focus on our mistakes, it's more important to move forward :) Thank you for your support on the site!!
Oh thank you, that means so much. The good thing is it's not too hard to cover, I just can't show cleavage..ever! I'm only 24, I Now dress like a grandma lol. But thanks for the encouragement. I am looking forward to the results on my first picosure, I'll be sure to post pics.
nice to hear your words =))