Looking Better - NYC

I got Perma Facial Implants in my upper and lower...

I got Perma Facial Implants in my upper and lower lips 4 days ago. I think the results will end up looking quite nice. I tend to bruise and swell easily, which was the case, although in the last two days this has improved immensely. Still, I expect lingering swelling for a few weeks. I am eager to see what they will look like in about 2 months.

From previous experience with cosmetic surgery, I realize now that it takes the body some time to recover, and everyone heals at a different rate. I am in my early 50s and my lips had lost volume due to age. Also, I had fine lines appeared on my upper lip although I have never smoked. I didn't want to get repeated injections of Restylane or whatever, to keep my lips plump. Not only is it a hassle, but over time, very costly. Perma Facial Implant is a great alternative.

It has been over two months since my lips were...

It has been over two months since my lips were enhanced by Dr. P with Perma Facial Implant, and to say that I'm thrilled is almost an understatement. Although I have never smoked, my lips lost volume and became wrinkled with age. Glosses and lipsticks that promised to plump my lips didn't work at all. I didn't want to keep getting dermal filler injections, and chose Perma Facial Implant instead. The concept of a one-time procedure (and cost) that produced permanent results was compelling. Even better, the implants are easily removed if you change your mind or want to go up or down in implant size.

The lip implants have completely rejuvenated my lips. Now they match the rest of my face (which I refreshed about 3 years ago with a face and brow lift). My lips look naturally plump and full like they did years ago, with a nice projection too. The final result is very natural-looking...no "trout pout" or over-done puffer-fish look here! I especially love the fact that now I can simply apply a little lip gloss and they look fabulous.

People I know tell me I look great, but they can't put their finger on the change. When I tell them I had my lips done, they are surprised because my lips look very natural and beautiful.

One nice surprise...I really don't feel or notice the implants. I wasn't sure how they would feel. I was concerned I would always be conscious of their presence, but this just hasn't been the case. My boyfriend says my lips feel a little firmer when he kisses me now, but says that I am quite kissable with the implants!

Bottom line, I think Perma Facial Implant is a great solution for permanent lip augmentation (or rejuvenation in my case), when the procedure is done by a skilled and experienced facial cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Pearlman.

It's been almost 3 months since I got the Perma...

It's been almost 3 months since I got the Perma Facial Implants at Dr. P's office. I am extremely happy with the results/outcome. The difference in the appearance of my lips before and after the procedure is impressive.

If someone asked me about getting these lip implants, I'd tell them that if you want a permanent solution (vs. repeated injections of a dermal filler, and the on-going expense), go for it. I'm not sure about fat grafting and things like Alloderm(R) (cadaver tissue),but I've heard the long-term results vary and are unpredictable. You would have to talk to your plastic surgeon and then decide for yourself, but for me, a permanent solution with predictable, long-lasting results, is compelling. That is why I chose Perma Facial Implant.

The implant itself is soft and pliable, so the feel is close to natural. Due to the nature of the implant material (a solid silicone elastomer), there's no tissue in-growth (a problem with previous lip implants). This means they can be easily removed if you decided to change the size or whatever.

For me, the total healing time took a few weeks (to where my lips felt natural and comfortable again), but the swelling subsided in just a few days. If you get the implants done on a Thursday morning, you should look good enough to go back to work on Monday, based on my experience.

I highly recommend following the post-op exercise instructions. A few weeks after the procedure and when OK'd by your plastic surgeon, Surgisil offers some easy, daily exercises. They are stretching exercises, not massage. In fact, Surgisil specifically tells you not to massage. Doing these exercises helped my lips regain a natural feel. I can smile broadly and open my mouth as wide as I can without any discomfort or pulling sensation.

Last but not least, and I've said this before, find an experienced, board-certified cosmetic/plastic surgeon like Dr. P., with a great reputation and an excellent track record. An outstanding surgeon and a great product like Perma Facial Implant, is a winning combination.

OK, it has been almost 4 1/2 months since I got...

OK, it has been almost 4 1/2 months since I got Perma Facial Implants (aka PermaLip) and I am totally in love with my new lips. They look like they did when I was much younger, but they look natural, not "done", which was important to me. I also credit my cosmetic surgeon for recommending the PermaLip length and diameter that would best meet my individual needs/goals.

Before I underwent the procedure I figured my lips would look 1000% better, but I was concerned about the feel of the implants. I don't have other implants in my body so all of this was all new to me.

Below is some additional info about my personal experience with permanent lip rejuvenation with Perma Facial Implant.

- The first 2-3 days after the implants were placed were a little difficult because I had a good deal of swelling and some minor bruising. Having undergone facial plastic surgery in the past, I knew I would swell and bruise...that's how I heal, but my lips were huge (to me). I didn't freak out and good thing, because in about a week or so, they looked much better. Today, they look AMAZING...so youthful and natural. I just love putting on a little lip gloss and the looking in the mirror and thinking WOW! The only thing I would do differently is not wait so long to get my lips done!

So how did I feel about the healing process?

- Did my lips feel tight after the implants were placed? Yes, for a while. After I was OK'd to do the stretching exercises recommended by Surgisil,I felt some tightness/pulling and a slight amount of discomfort. Actually, discomfort isn't the right word, but it felt weird. As time went on this disappeared. Today, 4.5 months later, I can smile and open my mouth as wide as possible, even in an exaggerated fashion, and I don't feel anything unnatural.

Can I feel the implant? Yes, if I place a lip between my thumb and forefinger, I can feel it in there, but it's very soft and pliable, and it doesn't hurt. I mean, what do you expect when you have an implant in your lip? You're going to be able to feel it, but it's not awkward.

Am I still "kissable"? Oh yeah, my boyfriend can attest to this. (: To be completely honest, it took a little practice with the implants to get my kissing mojo back in place. I think I was too self-conscious of the implants at first. Now, there's no difference. Same thing with drinking from a straw. At first it wasn't the same, now I barely notice a difference.

I hope this info helps people. Of course, all of us are unique and our experiences are different. For me, PermaLip is an absolutely wonderful product and I credit the skill and talent of my cosmetic surgeon, as well as the product, for the excellent outcome.

Six months have passed since I had my lips...

Six months have passed since I had my lips rejuvenated with Perma Facial Implant. Enough time for all of the healing to have occurred. The final verdict? Can I say the implant is a miracle product? I absolutely LOVE my lips! I would do it all over again. They look natural, not "done." They feel comfortable; I'm not aware of them unless I pinch a lip and feel it in there. There are no restrictions or strange sensations when smiling, opening my mouth as wide as I can, using a straw, or drinking liquids. Lip gloss and lip stick just glide on, and my lips look fabulous. The only interesting thing is that if I bump my a lip on something, and it has to be a pretty good bump, it can feel tender at that moment...more so than if I didn't have an implant.

Bottom line, in the hands of a gifted plastic surgeon, Perma Facial Implant is a great way to augment and rejuvenate your lips, based on my personal experience.

Photo Update

OK this is most likely my last post on the Perma...

OK this is most likely my last post on the Perma Facial lip implants. It's been almost a year since I got them. It did take a few months for me to get used to having something inside my upper and lower lips, but now they feel totally natural. They are comfortable and I can open my mouth as wide as possible and smile as broadly as possible without even realizing they are there. And of course, I love, love, love the way my lips look now-- full and luscious yet completely natural. I still sometimes sit in my car at a stoplight, glance in the review mirror and think WOW...my lips look fantastic.

The ultimate test with the lip implants was going to the dentist. I had to get an old filling replaced and was wondering what it would be like to sit with my mouth agape and the dentist doing work. No problem!

So again, for me personally, bottom line, I LOVE the implants and am a huge fan. I think they are an amazing product and I recognize that this, along with the incredible skill of my cosmetic surgeon, has made my case a very successful one.

It has been over two years since I had implants...

It has been over two years since I had implants (Perma Facial Implant) placed in my upper and lower lips. I still love them and wouldn't change a thing. My lips look so natural no one knows I have them. When I tell people they are surprised. I can't imagine getting shots of dermal filler in my lips every few months. For me, Perma Facial Implants have been a great solution for maintaining youthful-looking lips.

Three years!

A little over 3 years ago I took the plunge and went for permanent lip implants (Perma Facial Implant). I'm still in love with my new lips and have had no trouble with the implants. One of the best decisions I've made! One-time surgery, no ongoing expense with fillers, and they look fantastic. What else could you ask for?
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

The cosmetic surgeon who did the lip implants is amazing. He explains things in understandable terms and takes the time to listen. Talented, honest, skilled, helpful, compassionate, and experienced are just a few of the words that describe Dr. P. I also enjoy his dry wit. His staff is awesome too, reflecting his patient-centered approach and commitment to personalized care.

Would you mind posting another recent pic of your lips? I love how they look in your last photo, but that was taken only 2 weeks after your surgery……my guess is that some of the residual swelling between then and now may have disappeared and I'd love to see the 'permanent' results as they look today…..I'm seriously considering getting this done soon and am impressed with your results. Thanks!
Thank you for your updates! I really appreciate your taking the time to let us know that you're still happy with your implants. You look great!
Anuta - I'm sure it's possible. I only wanted my upper lip done because I didn't think my lower lip needed it. My biggest concern were the lines around my upper lip. It wasn't thin, just wrinkled. My surgeon strongly urged me to do both lips. I just went with his recommendation.
Just noticed your comment. Thank you. I am getting my upper implant June 13. So excited! Now the only concern is the size. I chose 4 mm but after all the pics and reviews I am afraid it won't be a noticeable difference.
They look wonderful! I am looking into getting lip implants but I only want my upper lip done I wonder if my ps can do that! I ll ask him !
just had my lips done a week ago. You have assuaged my concerns. God Bless.
Glad to hear this. How are they now? It does take time to heal - at least for me.
thank you for sharing your journey on here even after a year...really appreciate your time and effort...really has eased my nerves and helping me make my decision :) Surgery March 19, 2013 :)))
How are the implants doing for you?
what size implant did you use? Can you post a recent pic? The last photo taken two weeks post op looks great ,but Im assuming you still had swelling. I want to get this done too! You look great!!
Yes, there was a little (but not much) residual swelling in the close-up "after" pic taken a couple of weeks after the implants were placed. My profile pic was taken about 6 weeks after surgery....no swelling. On the size - the length was the longest they make 65mm, but the diameter was the middle-of-the-road 4mm. I wanted the results to look natural.
the lips look so good! Im really interested in the lip implant for my bottom lip only. but I'm just a bit concerned about it shifting. how if everything going?

I'm going to be asking my PS tomorrow of the cost while he checks on my nose job lol.

did they only use local anestheicia?
Thanks for sharing! Your lips look perfectly balanced, just the right size. Can you tell us exactly what size you got in width and diameter (length)? I understand there are only 3 options for width, and diameter can be cut to the right length.
danni2010 - Thanks. The implant length is determined by the length of your lips and the diameter is based on a couple of things - how much lip tissue exists and how much augmentation you desire. My surgeon carefully measured my lips and determined that I required the longest length made by Surgisil. I don't recall the exact number, but am certain it's the longest length. On the diameter, he suggested the medium one, which I believe is 4 mm. I didn't want overly augmented lips so I determined that the largest diameter was not what I wanted. On the smallest diameter, to be honest, that's what I initially thought that I wanted because I was insistent on a conservative, natural look. They told me that with the amount of tissue in my lips the smallest diameter wouldn't make much of a difference at all and I would probably be disappointed. They recommended the medium diameter. I was concerned, but they reassured me so I just put my trust in them. I am glad I did. The medium diameter did, in fact, turn out to be perfect for me.
OK my profile pic was taken by me with my cell phone less about 2 weeks after I had my lips enhanced with PermaFacial implant. I would like to somehow post a before picture too, because the difference is dramatic.

No problem on posting  a before picture, in fact we would love it. Do you need help doing it? If so PM me and I can help no problem. :)

-Britt

Thanks, Britt. I figured out how to upload a before picture. Compare it to my after profile pic (both taken by me with my cell phone) and well...these pictures say it all! What a difference. I'm ecstatic.
Hi! I will be glad to post a before and after picture. I'm not sure how to do that. Let me see if I can figure it out because you will be floored by the results!

I've had the PermaFacial Implants in my lips now for around 3 weeks now. They are beautiful and look and feel very natural. Both the top and bottom lip have a little more definition and volume. They don't look "done" though. My teenage daughter, who would be totally honest with me and is very particular about things, say they look wonderful and natural. The cupid's bow is just beautiful. The PermaFacial lip implants far exceeded my expectations, to say the least. My boyfriend, who was not supportive of my decision at first, now says they look great. He says I'm quite kissable too! (:

Thanks for the update! Sounds like a great result. Do you have any pics you can share? (sorry for asking again but I'd love to see the results)

It's been two weeks since the Perma Facial Implants(TM) were placed in my upper and lower lip. Most/all of the swelling and bruising has subsided. I knew I would have to be patient about this since it takes a while for me to heal. I've learned from past experience to be realistic/patient and not freak out after surgery, expecting a miracle in a few days.

Both lips look great and it's only been two weeks! My cosmetic surgeon checked them at week one and I am going back in two weeks for another check. He's very thorough and meticulous about his work.

What surprises me most is how natural the Perma Facial Implants feel. I haven't had implants of any kind before, and I thought I might notice them or "feel" them for a while, but this isn't the case. They look great too. Very natural...not that over-done "trout pout" I've seen on celebrities.

With the lip implants, my cosmetic surgeon was very particular about the size and placement. His experience with lip implants in general, was helpful. In addition to the Perma Facial Implant itself, I believe his experience, as well as his skill and general expertise, helped create a good outcome for me.

Hi lonestargirl -- Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for sharing your experience so far. Please keep us posted on your progress. We'd love to see photos too, if you're comfortable sharing.

Like RealSelf? Join us on Facebook
Hi there just been reading your post, I had permalip, implants, put in my top and bottom lip, 4 years ago and they are wonderful! So i know exactly how you feel. although i didnt go quite as large (Full) as you, they look very nice !!
Thanks, I love them and am glad to hear that they worked out for you as well. I think a lot of people who are unhappy with the results of an aesthetic service, for whatever reason, tend to blog about their experience. I think those of us with great experiences should too! I had asked my surgeon about using the smallest diameter of implant but he said that given the amount of lip tissue I have, it wouldn't be very noticeable ,so I went with the medium diameter. Worked for me. My lips look like they did when I was in my 30s...fuller, more defined.