Left with Lump, Now have to consider Costly & Scary Lipo

Feb. 9 ---Like many others on here, I had a little...

Feb. 9 ---Like many others on here, I had a little area of fat under my belly button. I am 47, 5'8" and have a slim, tight build at 129 lbs. However, that little area always stayed jelly belly for some reason. (no children).

The doctor marked the area, put one of the smaller attachments on me and then there was the suction. No pain whatsoever, just a bit of an odd feeling. For the next hour I watched some tv and fell asleep.

When the attachment was removed, it looked like a little stick of butter. The swelling and redness went away in about ten minutes. I have an ever so slight numb feeling, but that's it. Honestly after reading some of these reviews I don't know what to think. Many people just seemed thrilled to have a procedure w/o actually experiencing any results.

I will update you in a few weeks as to whether or not it was "worth it"!

Totally not worth it. Didn't make the slightest...

Totally not worth it. Didn't make the slightest difference.
Supposedly this is based on children's sunken cheeks from eating popsicles. I must've had thousands of popsicles in my life, my cheeks didn't sink in. Did yours?

OK--over 1 year later here to update. I had not...

OK--over 1 year later here to update.

I had not seen ANY change at all in ab area UNTIL 9 months later. It was very very gradual but there was indeed a change.
(In fairness to myself the Dr. said I would see changes in a month and possible gradually more over time.)
BUT....

(there's always a but isn't there)
While I did notice the belly area flatter, on the right side of my belly button I was left with a half a golf ball size lump.
I thought another treatment might help. I did another one where the technician concentrated on that area but still the same.

Am planning to go back and show Dr. and ask advice.

OK--did 2 additional Cool Sculpt sessions on lump...

OK--did 2 additional Cool Sculpt sessions on lump only but the lump remains. Am now considering lipo to get rid of the lump. However, I am afraid to cause myself more problems (lumpiness, dents etc) that I will regret. If anyone has done lipo for a little spot treatment I'd appreciate your input.

It's clear that the lump is not going anywhere. ...

It's clear that the lump is not going anywhere. Had a consultation for lipo.
So what seemed like a good idea and initially cost $750, has now cost me $2500 and if I want lipo $3500 for a grand total of 6 thousand dollars! Quite frankly I am afraid to get lipo, afraid I will end up with even more issues.

Left Me Deformed

Coolsculpting removed fat from abs unevenly and left my previously smooth abs all lumpy, looking like a bad lipo job. I am still trying to find something that can help smooth it out (but refuse to do lipo). Tried liposonix, so far nothing.
Please keep this in mind if you plan to try this procedure.

Grand Finale of Long Saga: Coolsculpting Left Me Deformed: NOT WORTH IT!

Well---I had this done years ago (when much less info was available). It was touted as totally safe--(no scalpel, no syringes...I figured the worst thing that could happen is it wouldn't work). I was wrong and it left me with a lump of fat and dents above and below that lump on one side. Over the years I've tried everything I could think of: Massage...Ultherapy & Liposonix (Waste of time & $$). I tried several subsequent sessions of CoolSculpt---no change. I tried 8 sessions of Venus Legacy which I really thought would have even a slight effect (even temporary!): 30 minutes of heat, suction and massage, once a week for 8 consecutive weeks......not even the slightest effect. I've also spent on consults ($$$) with two plastic surgeons who said it looked like a bad lipo job, but they said they could fix it. Well---I just can't bring myself to do lipo...where I will get scars and risk more disfigurement. So....I guess I will have to learn to live with it. (The lump shows right through if I wear a clingy dress or T-shirt :(
Why did this happen?----who knows---the body is a mysterious thing. I think this procedure might be good for men with hair on their abs--that will distract from any unevenness--or heavier people who might be happy with any improvement. But if you are slim like me, and care how you look naked....you may want to think twice as irregularities can show up on you much more.

photo added

What about Exelis? I had Lipo years ago and have on side that the skin didn't didn't lay back properly and left me with a 'bump'. I am thinking about trying that.
Hey there I'm really sorry to hear about your experience but I can completely empathise!... I underwent Coolsculpting and also suffered from the horrendous side effect known as paradoxical hyperplasia. I am in the process of seeking compensation because the area has doubled in size!! It's criminal that they are allowed to run such a procedure with such horrific side effects. They need to state very explicitly what this side effect is PRIOR to the procedure and then we can make an informed choice as to whether to go ahead or not. I know that this procedure has helped many people lose fat- but the fact that other people like us have been left worse off than before is insane! Are you taking this up with Zeltiq? I would be interested to hear any opinions of how much compensation one should be entitled to after having had an area of your body disfigured. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Cheers Sam
So sorry that you had that issue. I think I mentioned elsewhere that when I was having Legacy treatments to try and help (massage & heat) the technician mentioned that another client had CoolSculpting on her stomach and now looks pregnant! She had to schedule Lipo. I did contact Zeltiq and they basically referred me back to my doctor where I got a free session (which did nothing).
It is damged tissue and very fibrous at least that what my biopsy came back as. I will need a second lipo sesion to get rid of it all. This has been all paid for by the Dermatologist even the hospital bill and plastic surgeon. I did recieve a full refund.. My lumps were very large as well. Size of Grapefruits. I the area that they did the cool sculpting was so much smaller. Good Luck.
My Dermatologists office has documented the lumps. Size and pictures. They have refunded me my money and has paid in full for the hospital and plastic surgeon who did the lipo on me as well as a biopsy sent out. This will all go to the FDA from my doctors office. It disfigurred me pretty bad. I still will have to do one more lipo surgery. The first didnt get it all. It does grown much larger then the coolsculpting sight that was done. So far the research that my doctors can find is lipo is the only way to get rid of the Fibrous tissue. YES you doctors office should be paying for you to fix it. Good Luck. Im sorry that none of us new about what could happen. I do know that the company is aware and is changing the contract that we sign.
Thanks and good luck!!
thanks a lot for this and good luck, hope you get back to normal size soon!!
Hi there. I'm also in the coolsculpt lump team, but on my uppers abs. The most scary thing: it seems there is something hard beneath the fat tissue that is not used to be there. It has been 4 months and it is still sore. I don't know how to describe it... I'm super sad because the lump can be seen when I use tight dresses or t-shirts. No bikini for me anymore. I'm also considering lipo, but I'm afraid even that could not fix this. D=
Sorry to hear that---yes my lump can be seen through a snug T-shirt or dress also. I am too afraid of surgery to have it done. Too afraid I will make things worse. Good luck in whatever you decide.
The minute that I walk into the doctors offfice they could see the lumps through my shirt. I will only say that the pain of lipo was far less than to be disfigured on my back. Good Luck
Winnie -I had cool sculpting 2/21/2014 on my back flanks. About 3 weeks ago I have developed a grapefruit size hard lump on my left back. The right is smaller in size. It is very noticeable . The doctors office said they would pay to have it surgically lipoed . But today the company said try a cortisone shot for inflammation. Now it is really large. I was told to give it two weeks. The doctors did say they had just gone to a cool sculpting conference about this rare side affect. However, by reading these different post as early as 2011 looks like this in fact is a side affect. I can't even wear a bra or bathing suit. I will also contact the FDA . Thanks for the web site.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I am trying something called Venus Legacy (heat/suction/massage) to break it apart. Mine is smaller than a golf ball. So far no results. The ladies at the day spa said they have a client who had CoolSculpt done on her abdomen and she blew up and looks like she is pregnant. She is now planning to do lipo. Mine is not hard--it is soft and feels like regular fat. Good luck and please keep us posted.
You need to file a complaint with the makers of the Coolsculpt machine. They know about this and have been paying for surgery for patients for over a year. Why the FDA has not stopped this is crazy. This company is totally negligent as they know this is a growing problem. Most of us have had surgery to get it fixed and all was paid by the company. I am sure the doctor who did the procedure knows as well, they have ball be going to meetings about this. The doctor can call Zeltiq and get a claim started for you.
I've spoken with them and my doctor has too. I was offered another session--which did nothing. No one spoke with me about surgery and I'm too afraid to have surgery anyway. It's so upsetting because I just didn't think this was a possibility or I would have NEVER done it. I'm so self-conscious of it and the first time in my life embarrassed to wear a two-piece. It's hugely disappointing a has been a real blow to my self confidence. You do something like this to improve your looks not to ruin them.
I just read your post-- I really hope your surgery went well and that you are healing and will have good results.
You probably already know but there is a know adverse reaction from Cool Sculpting and it looks like you have it. It creates a hard mass in the area treated, many times is also larger than what you started with. You should go to the doctor who performed Cool Sculpting and have them file a complaint, Zeltiq knows of this issue and is paying for the surgery required to get rid of it. Its the only way to make it go away.
Wow--that is very depressing to hear as I never wanted surgery (or I would have had it in the first place). I am not confident that I won't cause even MORE problems with liposuction. I was going to try Zerona laser. Clearly it does move fat around for some people according to both the positive and some of the negative reviews on here. Thanks for the info.
Thank you for your post . The doctors office made it sound like this was a very ware side affect. They did say they would pay to correct it.
Here is the website to report issues to the FDA. Please take the time if you get a minute to tell your story. ) https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/index.cfm?action=consumer.reporting1
I would just like to clarify my use of the word "lump". It is not that the procedure caused a lump in the sense that something is growing (like I have a lump on my head!) It's that is removed fat unevenly and has given appearance of a lump.
It is still an adverse reaction. The FDA should know.
That is correct. One I thought would never happen as this is touted as a very safe procedure.
Sent your complaint to the FDA. This is important to record. FDA.gov
I apologize for that abrupt answer. I pushed a wrong button! Go back and ask for the large treatment applicator at no cost. The large sized applicator is twice the power as the smalls. It will cover a larger area and provide a better freeze. I hope this helps!