Cheek implants - regret this procedure, ruined tight youthful face, caused deep under eye bags and mid face sagging

I was so excited before the cheek implant surgery....

I was so excited before the cheek implant surgery. I had seen other girls' reviews. They all looked better in their after photos. I thought I would too. I got medium terino malar shells under local with no sedation.

At first, for about 1 month post op, I looked great. I was still swollen and overall everything looked round and full.

Until I began to notice the minor but devastating changes to my face.

As the swelling subsided, I realized that my eye bags are far more sunken than before. My face seems to be sagging. My laugh lines are deeper and worse. My lips are less lifted and are beginning to droop. I have aged at least 10 years. The implants have literally ruined my face and are almost weighing it down.
I have ruined the softness/tightness of my youthful face.

I am angry. I am sad. I am scared. I am regretful. I am depressed. I am worried that my face may never go back to its original state even after removal. I am trying to find a local dr who will remove the implants soon but ultimately THE DAMAGE IS DONE. I thought this was technically reversible but NO IT IS NOT.

If you think about it, if you get cheek implants, you really need to realize that eventually as your fat in your face fades you're going to need to get them removed. Also they will age you so you'll want them removed eventually. With that being said, if you are going to need to get them removed anyway, just DONT GET THEM. They affect more areas of your face than just your cheeks. They affect your lips, laugh lines, eye bags, EVERYTHING. so Just dont get cheek implants. I beg of you. Leave your face alone. Let it age naturally. By getting cheek implants you are single handledly paying to AGE faster than necessary. If I can convince just one girl not to do this I will at least be able to see some positive from this horrific situation.

Unless you want OTHER PARTS OF YOUR FACE to be affected as well, do not do this procedure!!!

I will regret this every single day..... ugh.... My youthful look is ruined and I am beyond depressed.

Please ladies, trust me, these ruin your face and it is NOT WORTH IT. I'd give anything to turn back time and not do it.

Please comment if this review convinced you not to do it just so I can feel better that I at least helped someone.
And if you do decide to do it, just wait... months later you'll see the sunken look and changes. Don't say I didn't warn you.
who did you go to for your implants???

LOOK AT THE LIP SHAPE CHANGE!!!!!!!! THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE

I AM SO ANGRY I WAS NOT WARNED ABOUT THE OTHER FEATURES OF MY FACE THAT WOULD CHANGE.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW? GET A LIP LIFT? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

DO NOT DO THIS PROCEDURE.

I WILL REGRET THIS TILL THE DAY I DIE!
My surgeon did absolutely nothing wrong and performed the procedure perfectly. I do not want to directly list him to anger him. But it is so important that I warn girls against this procedure!!!!!!!!!!! The issue is with the procedure itself NOT how it was performed so I don't want to bash him. I will say this though: If you look up the girls linaleigh and gypsydoll - I went to their surgeon.

Pics

Thank you for sharing! Have you consulted with your surgeon about having the implants removed? I think you look pretty both ways, but I do see the changes afterward that you mention.
It would be way too far to travel so I may just go to another local surgeon I am still deciding. Thank you for saying thank you for sharing! I only want to share this experience and help others.
it's hard to see the droopiness you're talking about, your face just looks a bit fuller and cheeks more projected. I don't think your life is ruined, just have them removed. Your face will snap back like a rubber band because a. your age and b. you haven't had them in for a long time

Lol. Being a drama queen. But cheek implants really will change more than just your cheeks

Okay ladies, I may be being a bit dramatic here. I have been reading some of your comments saying " it's not that bad." "you're life isn't ruined."
I am definitely kind of a drama queen, I admit, lol.

I agree, it is subtle, but to me the changes are really tough to accept. Do my cheeks look better? yes. But did so much else change about the proportions of my face that I did not prepare myself for? yes. I only thought that my cheeks would be affected .... yet my lips and under eye area were affected too. I really liked these features before, and did not intend or expect for them to change. I have been having a hard time coming to terms with this. Hopefully after removal it may go back to normal. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thank you! I'm vegetarian as well!

$5500 and Others have noticed the NEGATIVE not the positive

A family friend came over tonight and mentioned that I looked more tired than usual and my eye bags were deeper.

She didn't even notice the cheeks.

I paid $5500 for ..... cheeks? Nope. I paid $5500 for my face to look sunken and for people to comment on my eye bags. WTF.

Not only that but like I mentioned my lip is now rotating under.... Lip lift will most likely be necessary to correct this. I look like I'm frowning when I'm not.

Now I need to either be in the market for lower eyelid surgery/lip lift or remove these things and hope that everything will go back to normal. I'm just worried that even if I do remove them I'll still might need to correct at least the under eye bag area because these implants have completely destroyed its original tightness so why not just do it first. Ugh.. What a debate. Will keep everyone updated but overall I'm pissed and just trying to warn everyone against this. If I could go back in time I'd never do it.

I thought cheek implants would be the final procedure for me. Instead they just lead to more problems and possibly more procedures and removal and just ugh.

Also, for those who keep saying I don't look that bad, I have makeup on and it may just be the photo/angle. In real life trust me the changes are extremely devastating and noticeable (clearly if a family friend commented).
You probably only had cheek impLants. I had my under- eye bags removed, a mid-face lift, semi-forehead lift in conjunction with my cheek silicone implants. My cheeks are beautifully defined, not puffy looking like yours. Maybe you had the wrong surgeon. Diane
hi diane may I ask who you went to?
I had forgotten my password to the other acct But I still had email access so I will comment with both UNs... :) it's still me. Hope I am being helpful with this review... It was tough to be so open about all of this. I do feel embarrassed at times having this out there publicly. But the reason I decided to state that I had this surgery was out of the kindness of my heart and the genuine desire to make sure that people realize the effects cheek implants will have on other parts of your face. I wish I had seen a review like this before going through with it. I would never have done it. I wish I had never heard of cheek implants.... Lol

Undecided at this point

The swelling is continuing to subside and I am starting to like them. My feelings towards them change daily. I think part of me forgets just how flat my face was before. I'm afraid if I remove them and return to that, I'll still be unhappy. I will keep updating :)))
when were you able to exercise again?
I haven't really felt comfortable exercising ever since I got them put in. That's another reason i want them out. I exercised about 3-4 weeks after and it felt kinda weird to bounce and run. So I can't run only walk. Again, it's another
*oops^. But I was just typing it's why I want them out.

I'm 100% positive I want them out

It has gotten to the point that I've been canceling other appts/ commitments because I'm so dissatisfied with my face at this point. It just looks abnormal. Please trust me on this if you are considering this procedure. I wish I could post pictures. I know that if I did, it would definitely convince others not to do this procedure. But the pics would be permanent so I'm not going to. The point is that my face looks so abnormal right now. The implants need to be taken out ASAP. The doctor I was considering for removal is booked through September so I either have to wait until then or find a different doctor

This shows the lip shape change

It looks like I'm sucking on something / frowning in comparison to how my lips used to look.
did you get submalars or malars? I wonder if only malars would produce the same effects that you don't like
I got malars but I know a girl who got submalar and had the exact same issues with the lips changing so I don't think it makes a difference

Nose shape change (Wider)

Just wanted to add this photo of the nose shape change before and after. Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that your nostrils may get wider with cheek implants. Another reason why I'd like them to be removed.
How about getting dr. Debrows opinion? He has that new show called botched...not that you're botched...but he's really good at all of this!

Hi everyone :) Today's update

Just wanted to mention a few more non-cosmetic reasons that I'd like the implants removed. Obviously the changes to my face are the main reason I want them taken out but there are also other reasons.

Sleeping/napping on my side feels very uncomfortable. It feels like a strong, tight pulling and stretching of my cheeks and nose area as I simply try to relax. It's so frustrating. Also, getting a back massage is more stressful than relaxing. I can't put my face into the cushion without pain or worry. This is extremely distressing as I have injuries from 9 years of cheerleading that really make it important for me to get massages. I hadn't considered this before getting the implants so just wanted to write that it is something to be considered.

Anyways, after contacting a few local surgeons I had the following options. The first surgeon isn't available until September. The second surgeon refused to do it under local. The third surgeon said I didn't need them removed.
So finally I contacted my original surgeon. There were two reasons I didn't want to contact him at first. One was that it is a long drive (5-7 hrs) to his office one way, not to mention the return trip which would be so grueling (at least it was last time). The other was that like I mentioned earlier he is a world class surgeon and I didn't want to insult him. My only issues here have been with the surgery itself not how it was performed. He performed the surgery excellently and I'm so glad I went to him instead of anyone else. Anyways, his coordinator was so sweet and said..."It's your face! You should do whatever makes you comfortable" which made me feel at ease. I think I realized then that it's surprisingly not as emotional as I thought and it's strictly business for them.

The coordinator will be contacting me on Monday or Tuesday and letting me know whether or not he has any surgery dates in August available. I'm extremely hopeful that I could have these out within the next two weeks. :) I'll update you all on whether or not this is confirmed.

Also, I'm fully aware that after removal I may not be completely happy either. I am not expecting everything to be completely perfect because clearly it wasn't before. I'm sure certain "flaws" about my face that are less prominent now will become more prominent with removal. But ultimately the changes to my lips, nose, under eye bags, and more are just too drastic for me to enjoy the cheeks. Too much about my original look changed with cheek implants for me to be satisfied with them.
hello there, i just wanna share my experience with u and give u some advices dear, first of all u look amazing in the after photos and they kinda remind me of kim kardashian when she got her implants back in 2010 (when she looked her best) and all the things u mentioned about the appearance changes is so normal after getting the implants, u inserted a foreign body to your face and your cheeks are swollen now and it's building the tissues around the implant so that's NOT your final result! u need 6 - 12 months to see the final look :) and even when someone gets cheek fillers there appearance changes (the nose gets smaller, the side view changes etc…) so i WON'T recommend removing them! now the only question i have is that: did the doctor screw your implants to the cheekbone? that's was my mistake when i listened to my doctor and didn't get them secured with a screw! go back to the surgeon who placed them for you because he knew exactly what he did back when he placed them, and i don't recommend the local anesthesia thing because we are talking about face and nerves here and u will be stressed so does your doc! get sedation it's easy and has no complications, now i will tell u about my case: i got malar shell implants just like yours and i decided to get mandible implants as well (HUGE MISTAKE) and i trusted my doctor when he said there's no need to use screws cuz i know how to create the pocket and they will stay in place! when i woke up from my surgery everything was fine until the second day! i was so swollen i couldn't recognize myself! and my right cheek started to swell abnormally and the signs of internal bleeding (hematoma) started to show and thats when i freaked out! what worse was that one of the mandible implants shifted and it was so painful! end of the story i got all the implants removed after 48 hours! and it was all the surgeon fault because if he had used screws none of that would've happened :( and don't worry about your face getting back to normal because it will it's just swelling and it will dissolve just give it some time, and i will get cheek implants again when i come to the states and will get them custom made so they look perfect, hope i had helped u and again don't rush and get them removed! u look fantastic and all what u r feeling is in your head :)
What about fat as a filler to the mid cheek to get rid of facial flatness and produce a nice curve. Seems like it would produce a similar result with far less risk.
Perhaps! You'd have to ask a doctor :) I'm no expert. My doctor was amazing! It's just the concept of the procedure I don't like

Pic

Took a picture in the same exact spot
well it does.
you look really sexy in your newest pics
A fat transfer has many advantages, in my opinion. I would choose it any day over fillers. But do your research on the internet and make your own decision. You may have to have it done two or three times to get a lasting result, but then you're done for a good long while.

Nose tip change ? (Slightly longer)

I had been talking to another girl who had gotten small submalars. She said that one of her biggest complaints was how her nose tip began to droop after cheek implants. It was a major factor in why she had them removed. After examining two side by side photos I noticed the same on myself. It's subtle - but there. Since I heard it from her and noticed in myself, it's highly likely that this is caused by the implants for some reason. Just wanted to share a pic
I've never heard of it dissolving asymmetrically. A certain portion doesn't take, but the remainder should be symmetrical if it was applied well. Check with a facial plastic surgeon and do a wed search. But this is the first I've heard of this issue.

Got them removed

Removal surgery was by far 300X more painful than placement. I could feel his struggle to scrape them off my Skelton literally. He told me they got stuck. They were literally ripped off. Yes I was numb but I have literally never felt anything more painful in my life. It's 24 hours later and I can't eat, can barely drink, swallow, etc. It feels like a thousand knives were stabbed up my face because that's basically what happened. My entire lower jaw feels like I got punched.

Again I cannot dissuade people from going through this enough. Not worth the pain at all because my face looked funky with them in and removal was excruciating.

All the ice and Valium in the world can't help right now. I'm done with plastic surgery forever If i can manage. This pain was so unnecessary...
I do not wish this experience / pain upon my worst enemy!

The implants themselves

I have 4mm silicone ( 1 month post op) and am wanting them removed or repaced with smaller ones 2mm as I heard that completedly removing them will cause the skin to sag as it will be stretched out. I am 33 yrs old and am just trying to do the right thing. Is your face going back to normal? Did your downturned mouth return to normal as well? zis there any side effects that you have noticed? Please help
Hi there. They've only been out for 2-3 days now so it is way too soon to tell. It can take up to a year for the capsule to shrink back down although my doctor told me that it will take 6 weeks before I look normal again. There is a difference between skin sagging and tissue sagging from what I know. When the cheek implants are placed the tissue is lifted. So after removal it has to reattach to the bone. The skin sagging is different. The skin was probably not stretched so much that it would make a noticeable difference in your skin to have them removed at this point. Your skin will stretch from swelling but that's mostly it. Ultimately the skin might look slightly different than before of course but not dramatically. As for the mouth, I cannot say personally what my result will be after removal. I won't know probably for another year but I will keep updating this review regularly. I have been speaking to another girl who had them placed and removed after 9 months. (She had the absolute smallest size sub malars and had these issues so I don't think getting smaller ones would make a difference. ) She said that her mouth went back to normal and her face did too. So that's positive. After just one month you should be fine but the trick is to get them removed sooner than later as they can get stuck in the tissue like mine did which is damaging and painful. What I can say though is that if you're unhappy with them and you're trying to do the right thing, the answer is removal. After one month I looked good, but after three months I looked awful and wouldn't leave the house. So it will only get worse with time. Also, like I've mentioned several times in this review, if you think about it - how long did you plan to have them in anyway? All the way until you're 90? The doctors probably would have much more trouble finding them and removing them at that point. Then you'd really have some issues and I've heard that one woman's nostril /nasal wall collapsed after removal when she got them removed after having them for 30 years or something. Search it on Realself it actually happened. My warning: get them out ASAP. Removal after 3 months was awful and I couldn't imagine waiting longer. The only positive I've noticed so far is that my nose no longer looks stretched/longer and it feels so much better to sleep. I don't know if you ever had issues sleeping with the implants but I have. It felt like a stretching /pulling feeling from the gravity. That is gone and I'm so relieved. The only negative I've noticed is nerve pain around my eyes and temples/ pressure points close to the height of my cheek bones. Hopefully it will alleviate with time and is nothing serious. Also I have asymmetrical swelling because one side got more trauma than the other during the removal - one implant was more stuck than the other. So I am just keeping my face taped and suspended with the hope that my face will heal symmetrically. Sorry for the long response. Just trying to be informative & helpful Let me know if you have any other questions!! Wishing you the best and I hope this stress can be relieved from your life.
Those are malar implants! Not submalar

Doctor answer about removal

On RealSelf I asked how difficult it was to perform cheek implant removal surgery. Here's what one doctor said:

I am one of the few surgeons in my area that does cheek implants and also one of the few who has experience removing them. I can tell you what may seem easy is often very difficult. In spite of being able to feel the implants from the outside during surgery they can be hard to find, and if so cause damage to the muscle and surrounding tissues while looking around.
------
Many doctors will gloss this whole procedure over as nothing difficult. Here a doctor was being honest. Cheek implants are risky and removal is too. I knew I had absolutely no choice but to remove them though with how unhappy I was and how they had affected my life.

The point is to think very carefully before going through with this procedure in the first place, and if you are unhappy, get them removed sooner rather than later. The entire process can be damaging and risky so think it through.

Side note: It's very weird, I keep staring at these small silicone shells in disbelief that they actually made such a negative impact on my life. It's surreal and odd. :/.

But I'm okay with being the guinea pig for all of you in order to help prevent others from going though this.
I am a guy who had medpor implants put in at age 25 and then removed 1.5 years later. Same story as you. Cheek implants affected a lot more than your cheeks. My smile was my best asset and was completely changed for the worse after the implants. So happy I got them removed. The doctor stated it was an intense process and took him 4 hours to remove. Thankfully I have not had any sagging or adverse effects. It took two years for the scarring to fully disappear, but thankfully I now look very close to my before with a very minor scar tissue build up that I can barely feel now. Best of luck to you and you made the right choice.
Thank you for your comment. Although they've only been out for less than a week, I already feel relieved. If I understand it correctly, medpor implants have holes which allow the tissue to grow through them. Sounds very painful/complicated to remove. So incredibly reassuring to hear that you have not had sagging. I'm still swollen and badly bruised so my face / skin has not contracted yet so it's too soon to judge my after result. I'm staying hopeful that I will not have major sagging either. Around how long after removal did you feel things went back to normal/close to the pre-op look? I've heard everything from 2 weeks to 6weeks to 6months to 12 months to 18 months. Also did you initially notice any sagging with swelling? Thanks so much in advance.

Nose tip pics

The nose tip seems to be making improvements

Eye bags before and after cheek implants

I advise against the procedure it will age you dramatically.
Dear brunettepink, Met a lovely lady this morning who had her cheeks done in Columbia seven years ago. They are much too large for her face, sit too low, and she would love to have them removed. In researching this type of procedure, I found your blog to be very helpful. How is your recovering going at this time? Your writing and pictures will help so many who are thinking about this procedure. Why did you think you should do something so drastic at your young age? You look absolutely beautiful in your 'before' pics - Because of your youth, I pray you will heal with little or no effects of the original procedure. I'd love to hear how you are doing now. Sincerely, pp99
Hi there! Thank you so much for your comment and prayers. The reason I did the original procedure was because I had flat cheeks (without makeup) and I just wanted a little volume to my cheeks. I was afraid to get filler because of necrosis (tissue death). In retrospect I should have just gotten filler or nothing at all. I honestly believed that the surgery would only change my cheeks! So from my perspective, I was only going to improve my cheeks slightly and the rest of my face would stay the same. I glossed it over as a subtle procedure. But I was so wrong; as you can tell from a lot of the pictures of individual areas, the implants drastically altered my nose tip, nostril size, lip shape, under eye bags, etc. I had absolutely no warning going into the procedure that anything else was going to change afterward besides my cheeks! No one else had talked about these issues anywhere on the internet so from my perspective they didn't exist. Anyways - as for how I am doing now. They've only been out for 10 days- it's way too soon to start making judgements because I'm still swollen. I honestly have no idea what to expect when it comes to my appearance in the future. I've heard it can take up to 18 months for the tissue to reattach to the bone. However - my biggest concern is my lip shape, nose tip, and under eye bags. If these areas do not return to normal, my back up plan is to consider correcting these issues with subtle procedures after I've healed. Makeup does wonders, so hopefully that won't be necessary, but if it gets to be too much & these devastating changes remain even after I'm fully healed, then I will do so. Ultimately it's way too soon to tell what my final result will be. The reason I know this is because 1 month post op, I still had my normal proportions and looked better with the implants, but by 3 months post op, everything had started widening, drooping, etc. So I expect it to take the same time for everything to shrink / tighten back. I will continue to update this review regularly, but it would not be smart of me to start making assumptions of how my face will look 1 year after removal of the implants in comparison to before they were placed when they've only been out for 10 days :). I am sending prayers to the woman you mentioned and if she wants to contact me feel free to private message me. I hope this stress can be relieved from her life.

Pic

Will post more pics soon.

Still VERY swollen. Still puffy. Makeup is helping me out a lot.

I really have no idea what to expect in terms of returning to my original appearance.

So far my eye bags do not seem to making much improvement and my cheeks / mid face seems to be slightly sagging. It's especially noticeable without makeup. I will add some more pics to show what I mean. Just being honest.

As a back up plan, I will correct these areas with a minor lower bleph and minor mid face lift. But I have been told to wait one year before doing anything because I must let my face heal. Makes sense.

Not much improvement

I think a doctor would have to be out of his mind to give you a face lift at 18
Not a face lift. a cheek lift. (Aka mid face lift) If you search cheek implant removal, many doctors state that they choose to simultaneously do a cheek lift after implant removal in order to prevent sagging.
None of this can be determined until the swelling subsides and capsule shrinks also.

Under eye bags caused by cheek implants photo again

My proportions look so much better after removal!!! I'm so happy. Will post more photos very soon! But my eye bags are still just horrible. Can't believe the cheek implants created this issue.
well it's pretty obvious you look good before and after and I really don't see what you refer to. That being said, it's up to YOU and only you to judge your own face. You have such a perfect nose I have to say! Is it your "real" original nose and if not could you please clue me in to who your doctor is pretty please? If not then I want to bring a pic of your nose into a doctor once I find him or her!
Thanks so much. Unfortunately I am too hesitant to post the most horrible pictures that show what exactly I describe because they are permanent. - However if you are considering this procedure, feel free to message me and I will send you the WORST of the WORST pics so you can see exactly what I mean and how devastating it has been - I will do anything to prevent anyone else from going through this! Yes its my original nose...
yes I had very minor sagging at first. did not look like sagging but as I think back my skin is feels much more glued to my face so to speak. The skin has to re-attach and i think this takes a some time. I took photos every month to monitor my progress. It felt like the swelling was all gone by 6 months and I thought at first things would not get better, but after monitoring my progress I can look back at photos and see their was a reduction in the swelling that continued to go down up until about 24 months post op removal, a lot longer probably due to the trauma I had from the medpor.

Sagging

Please, trust me and do not do this procedure. I don't know why exactly it does it - but it will ruin your tight youthful face... I had these issues before removal; and now even though my face is more proportionate after removal my face is not nearly as tight as it was. Mid face is sagging. :(
Thanks for sharing your harrowing experience. Honestly, from everything I've read online cheek implants usually turn out bad. I think you are correct in letting things settle before doing any more surgery. As for the under eye hollowness or loss of volume in the cheeks (I don't think they're bad at all), I think a little bit of filler will go a long way. I think there are non-surgical alternatives like fillers that will help and allow you to avoid more surgery altogether.
I agree, I hope that all I'll need is some injectables! Thank you so much for your comment!
I think you are absolutely correct. Plastic surgery on a single feature can radically alter someone's appearance because even a few millimeters can throw off the balance of a face.

Aged 10 years in 3 months

I'm sure you all are getting tired of pictures of my under eye bags at this point but it's just so important that I make the point of the horrible things cheek implants can do to your appearance. It's just incredible how heartbroken I have become at this disaster. I remember my naïveté before surgery thinking that only my cheeks would change and nothing else. I was so wrong and admitting that has been so hard. However I'm not too hard on myself because this important information just wasn't out there at the time so how would I have known.

Now I'm in a market for a cheek lift. Wish me luck.

I honestly hope no one ever does this procedure...

If you still plan to get cheek implants even after reading this review I would seriously rethink it.
Just had mine done like I said I was going to! Left side is lower than the other one by 1-2 millimeters which is gonna be revised soon! But just to lessen the stigma! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! I had magnum malar/submalar specially carved for my face by dr Paul and Nicholas chugay and I am the happiest I've ever been! I wish I could post pics on this comment
Cool, I'm happy for you. Please keep in mind that I loved my result too, initially. But Around 3 months post op was when the devastating changes really became more noticeable. Just keep that in mind. You really can't judge your result yet, it's been too soon. but I do wish you the best. Keep me updated
please write a review when you get the chance, maybe black out your eyes for privacy?

The Science behind Why cheek Implants are not a good idea!

So I just wanted to touch on why cheek implants are not a good idea from a scientific perspective. At the end of the day- that's the core of the matter.

I am not a doctor but I have spent a lot of time researching this after the disaster I put myself through and have gathered much information on the topic.

Here is what I've learned:

One of the biggest signs of aging is in sagging in the mid face area. The tissue begins to shift downward with time, which contributes to the sag.

The tissue shifting downward happens over a period of many years. Eventually, the mid facial sag is noticaeble enough that many people want this area rejuvinated with surgery.

A cheek lift/ mid face lift is where this tissue (and sometimes the malar fat pad) is repositioned upward to help correct this sagging mid-face area.

With that said,

When you get cheek implants, the surgeon LIFTS the tissue OFF of your bone to place the cheek implants. Over time, the tissue begins to reattach to the bone.

Now - there is NO guarantee that the tissue will reattach to the bone in the exact same position it had been attached before, naturally and perfectly. Actually, it is highly unlikely that it will attach in exactly the same position. I've heard many doctors say that especially under the eyes- the tissue reattaching so high is unlikely. This can be devastating!

This means... that lifting the tissue off of the bone (as is done in cheek implants) can result in signs of aging and a mid-face sag because it the tissue may not reattach in its original high position , which ultimately can cause the facial tissue to sag prematurely - resulting in an older appearance.
I just wanted to say you look so beautiful, even after everything you've been through. Thank you so much for your thorough post. It has been very helpful to read all your research and experience. Please be careful with midface lifts as I've heard they can be very risky. You're objectively gorgeous :).
Thank you very much for your comment. It's amazing how just some positive words can mean so much. I am glad this review was helpful. Yes I am doing a LOT of research on my options right now and interviewing many, many doctors. Thank you very much. Take care :)
Hello! I too regret my cheek implants. I had them for 2 years and wish to have them removed (would have done sooner but the doctor kept saying it would settle -yeah right!) Anyway I was wondering how long you had the tape on to help 'attach' the cheek back? My doctor said 3-4 days but I feel this is too short? Thanks!

?

Reminds me of somebody a month ago... Me! lol
brunettepink- you only have to do one thing to reverse this and involves no surgery or risk:ultherapy. I had the ultherapy done at a young age-33 years old and it's AMAZING. especially when you do it when you are young. Ultherapy creates collagen and lifts tissue- that is what it does. If you live in LA there are quite a few VERY good ultherapy doctors there that will give you amazing results. Do not get filler or a facelift or any of that crap that will leave you will with more problems. Ultherapy will solve your problem I am sure of it since I saw what it did to my own face. xo
Please message me with more information! Thanks :)
Thank you for your comprehensive review and updates together with the extremely helpful photos of your progress. The area under my eyes was also very affected (in a bad way) by Voluma in the cheeks. I can see now that the Voluma I had in my cheeks caused the same effect as your cheek implants. I suppose that makes sense. Like you, I naïvely expected that only area that would be affected was my cheeks. How wrong I was! My face was pushed downwards and inwards by the cheek Voluma so my whole face has been affected. My midface is flatter and my face has sagged. I got nasolabial folds that I didn't have before. The tear trough area has been the most affected and I got eye bags that I didn't have before. It is like the pressure from the cheek volume has caused a sling-like effect in the tear troughs. They look just like yours in refracted light only mine are puffy and yours are hollow. I am impressed by your attention to detail and so grateful for your analysis of your situation becsuse it has assisted me to work out what happened to me from the cheek Voluma. I see that your tear troughs remain altered even after the removal of the cheek implants and I will be interested to find out if they go back to how they were, so please keep updating! You are a very attractive woman (with or without cheek implants) but I understand completely that it is your opinion that is the most important. Thanks again for your excellent review. Much appreciated. Kate

More pics

Thanks for posting, it's important that we know these issues. It's like what happened to me, it was just radiesse and the doc wanted to put a little on my cheeks, he did tear troughs and now I have sunken in eyes with discoloration. This sight is great wish I knew about it before.
I had the same exact issue with hollows under my eyes and pronounced laugh lines after i had 2cc's of voluma injected in my cheeks. The good thing is 3 months later the voluma is starting to dissolve. I suspect it should completely dissolve in another 3-4 months. I just hope the eye hollows, lines under my eyes, and laugh lines go away with the voluma. I did not have these issues before cheek fillers and I have never had any other procedures done.
I love this because maybe we should alert the makers of Voluma that their substance is dissolving far faster than they claim....two years? Ahhh the lies never cease. I wish someone would sue them for FRAUDULENT claims. But I bet you are happy it's going so quickly. I wish Allergan would sink into the sea and never return.

Biggest mistake of my life & Booked a cheek lift

I still and by my statement that this has been the biggest mistake of my life. And I can't lie I'm a little insulted by people who, even after reading this review, tell me that they've chosen to get cheek implants despite everything I've said warning against it. It hurts and seems like a slap in the face because after everything I've gone through, the fact that anyone could still get cheek implants confuses me. Like am I not doing enough to warn against it? Like I've said in my comments, if I could I would pay people not to do it, that's how sure I am they'll *eventually* regret it. Anyways,

I went to a doctor regarding the cheek lift. I was worried he would just disregard me because of my age. Nope, immediately after he saw me, he listed EVERYTHING about my face that I've been noticing, without me even telling him. (Cheeks sagging, under eye hollows, jowls, and more white of eye showing underneath). I broke down crying and got so emotional because not only has this been the hardest thing I've had to through, but I was so worried that he would disregard what I saw OR that there'd be no solution. He was so gentle and kind and said he was so sorry this had happened & He said "I don't know how, but at 18 you need a cheek lift." So in February I will be getting a cheek lift. Wish me luck. And don't . Get. Cheek implants. I wish I'd never heard of cheek implants or real self. That's what ruined everything ugh.

Thanks everyone for your comments- I'll update this review again after the cheek lift or maybe do a separate review on it. ~*That's all for now. *~
Good luck sweetie, only you will know what you want to do xxx
You never needed implants, and you don't a cheek lift either. I can't believe what I'm reading... you're 18 years old and beautiful! Sorry to say this, but this PS is milking you for all you're worth. Please don't do a cheek lift - try lasers and fillers to restore the areas you don't like... they will work wonders. You absolutely don't need a cheek lift. Get a second and third opinion in your area at least before proceeding with that surgery. I was 5 years older than you and had god knows what done to my face - let me tell you - if you want to ruin your face forever you're on the right track. That may sound harsh but I've been there and bought the t-shirt. I
I agree your current doc sounds shady id get a 2nd opinion too

Powerful video

Please read all the responses here: http://www.realself.com/question/23-years-face-sags-mid-face-lift
Thank you sooooo much for sharing your experience !! And for all of your pictures that show exactly what you are describing . I'm shocked to see how the implants changed the other areas of your face . Rest assured your are still very much so gorgeous ! I want to send you a pic of my genetic malar bags . You'll feel better instantly
Hi everyone! No he is an excellent surgeon! He has many, many before and afters of cheek lifts and I looked at every single photo and have no concerns. After the lift will I look exactly how I did before cheek implants? No, but at least it's better than nothing. He is a genuine doctor - by far the most caring I've ever met and I am an excellent, intuitive judge of character. Furthermore I am 100% positive I need a cheek lift after removal of the implants - the tissue is absolutely sagging - No doubt in my mind or any doctors. My mid-face looks extremely abnormal in comparison to every other area of my face. I have no doubt that it's the right choice and he has my best interests at heart. He told me that he was talking to me like a doctor and a parent. He also said that I better get right back into college after he fixes it for me. He even suggested that we wait to treat the under eye hollows until after I've healed from the lift because it may not be necessary so he was being conservative. I appreciate everyone's concern genuinely but I don't think everyone can fully comprehend the severity of the situation.

More horrible pics from when the implants were in

Couldn't bare to keep getting messages from people saying they wish they'd listened to my review.... Sometimes showing is better than telling so I figured I'd post more terrible pics in order to show just how horrible the implants made me look with the hope that it will prevent more people from getting cheek implants. These photos really show the hollows and creases that were created from the placement of the implants. Hope this helps everyone
It seems like she's determined to go ahead! I know what I was like when I was 18... those cheek lift things tend to bulk up the midface and can actually create shadows under the eye. And also, I was told cutting into the lower eyelids can screw up the eyes. My guess is this is not going to end happily. The RS docs said Restylane would fix the problem she sees - they're right. Her doctor is not speaking to her as a "parent" when he's selling her an invasive surgery that actually could make the problem worse.
Hi there... I appreciate your concern. I will definitely explore the option of filler for the lower lids... However I don't see how it could correct the sag?? After removal or the implants my cheeks are sagging off their original position...the tissue is completely gone from my under eye area giving it a gaunt hollow look... While the tissue has moved down to the lower section of my mid-face giving my face a melted look. The tissue really needs to be lifted back up & secured. If you have any suggestions please message me. Thank you!

Filler?

I've been reading a lot of your comments about filler and how it might have helped the hollows that the cheek implants created while they were in and it might help now. Definitely worth considering...
You're gorgeous you don't need anything done! :(
All you need is ultherapy. Trust me! Michael Persky in LA. He will raise all the tissue and tighten your skin. It is very subtle what you have and will probably fix itself in time. Do not get surgery. Trust me. You want to wait as long as possible for a faclift and a cheek lift counts as one. I saw a dramatic difference ultherapy. I know you will too especialy because you are young and your body produces so much collagen on it's own. Check out Dr Michael Persky. You don't need fillers.
I think you are super pretty and don't need any filler or surgery but I will give you my thoughts in case you go ahead with filler. Please take it slowly! And keep track of everything. Take photos from every angle with your face still AND animated. Only use HA filler in case you don't like it. Get the PS to up mark your face and record the amount for each injection site. Careful under the eyes. And remember it is so easy to lose track when everything looks good and then regret not concentrating when there is something you don't like. Observe the effect of each and every injection not just the overall effect because you won't be able to work out the effects of each filler placement if you are just looking at the end result. Ask a lot of questions. Don't start with the thicker HA fillers (Voluma, Perlane). Start with the the lighter fillers (Juvederm, Restylane) because if you don't like it they will go away quicker and if you do like it then you can have the thicker filler next time. Sorry it's just random babbling of advice - I'm at the supermarket hating my face under the fluorescent lights!!!

Have been watching CNN... Bigger issues in the world than looks!

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update on a random but somewhat relevant aspect of this journey. I've been watching CNN a lot lately and have been realizing that there are much greater issues in the world than looks. I've seen stories such as the Ebola crisis, unrest in the Middle East, and more. It's really been putting things into perspective. As distraught as I am with the changes in my appearance right now, it's important to realize that what truly matters most in life is helping others, not physical appearance. Obviously It's difficult for many of us because we live in areas that are very focused on appearance and materialism so there is pressure to look good. The pressures from the beauty, media, and entertainment industries make it hard not to want to meet certain standards. But it's so important to remember that there's a big world out there..There are adults who can't even read. There are so many people who can't even find food or water. There are humans who are just trying to survive! There are people being killed everyday around the world. But we often forget this and are so focused on ourselves. I don't think that any of us should feel guilty for wanting/getting cosmetic enhancements or focusing so much on appearance though because the pressures around us to feel confident with our looks due to our geographic location / wealth / exposure to certain industries are extremely influential. However I just thought I'd put it out there that if you can help the greater good and make a difference in the world while simultaneously focusing on your appearance, that's wonderful !

Just my thoughts during recovery. Sending Love to all.

"People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Thanks - I guess looking back I didn't . But now my mid face is sagging so severely I'm ashamed! It looks so unbelievable. I wonder if it will improve with time but I doubt it. I'm devastated :(
Yeah I read your entire story. It's crazy how those cheek implants affected everything else :( But you're still so beautiful! :-)

6 weeks after removal of cheek implants.

Improvements are happening slowly. My under eyes are still extremely hollow and cheeks sit lower though.
I had small cheek implants placed in 2010. They caused jowls and marionette lines, and I look 10 years older. , I use to get compliments on my looks all the time. I have seen several plastic surgeons and they all say leave them alone, your face will sag and look older. My advice to you is leave your face alone! If you haven't gotten nerve damage or bad infection, be greatful. Cheek lift is still very risky!..stay away from filers and ultherapy..trust me I have don't extensive research... You are beautiful. If it bothers you so much, maybe do what I'm doing and Wait 5 years or so..there procedures will improve... And hopefully a cheek lift will be less invasive.
I feel bad for you! I Understand that you have been through a lot! I felt that way after my eye procedure when the MD left long eye scars like crows feet on my outer eyes. I just cried and was so mad for even doing it. When you're a pretty woman and much rides on your looks be it wrong or right, there is a self concept that has shaped us to be self aware in a certain way. A powerful way, "since beauty is power." You were very beautiful prior to that surgery. Hopefully over time that beauty will return as you heal and that will take time. My eyes are tolerable and it actually helped with the hollow look I had and hated. I like Sculptra and it lasts at least a year! Try that if you are hollow. It's not as bad as you imagine you are still hot! lol Good luck xo
Thanks. It's been extremely painful. But the most beautiful thing about all of this is that this review is permanent. For the rest of enternity, hopefully thousands of other girls will decide not to get cheek implants after reading this.