Slight Bump and Tip Reduction- So Worth It! - Mount Kisco, NY

I have never been happy with the appearance of my...

I have never been happy with the appearance of my nose. I had always felt it was a bit too big for my face, and I broke it when I was younger, leave a slight bump. When I smiled, the tip went further down than I liked, and at certain angles my nose just looked big. I have spent years being self-conscious in front of the camera; always deleting photos of myself where my nose looked bad and always smiling a certain way. Looking at my front profile, most people can't see why I would want to have it fixed. It's only when looking at it from the side that you can really tell where my issues were. I'm happy with my appearance overall, but my nose has always been something that I have been wanting to change. I wanted a "cute" nose; something smaller, sloped, and natural-looking. Where I'm originally from (Upstate NY), plastic surgery is a very taboo subject. Every time I brought it up, I was called vain and shallow. It was then that I decided to wait until I graduated college to get my nose done, no matter where I went.

After graduation, I moved here, to Westchester, where views of plastic surgery are completely different. I immediately felt accepted and supported by my decision, and went on the hunt for the perfect surgeon. After several consultations, I spoke with a friend who had her nose done (which was similar to the look I wanted), and referred me to her surgeon, who had met the proper credentials I was looking for as well. We met for a consultation- he showed me before and after pictures of what I would look like and explained the procedure to me in a very thorough manner. Seeing the pictures was an indescribable feeling. I almost wanted to cry when I saw the "After" picture because that was what I had always wanted to look like. I knew then that this was the surgeon for me.

Two months later (August 2011), I went into surgery extremely giddy, anxious, and nervous. I had never had surgery before so I didn't know what to expect. All I remember was laying down on the operating table, laughing and joking with the anesthesiologist and doctor, and waking up in recovery very "out of it." I felt nauseous but was in no pain. Recovery at home was probably the worst part of the procedure. I am a very active person; I do cardio and strength training every day, have a full-time job, and am always all over the place. Sitting at home with nothing to do, an uncomfortable cast on my nose, unable to wear makeup or really leave the house on top of the medication made me almost depressed and very sad. I was going stir-crazy just sitting around and didn't really want to go out in public. 5 days after the surgery, I finally went back to work and got the bandage (cast) off.

I have to say the results were absolutely worth those 5 days of depression- my nose is exactly what I want it to look like! I no longer feel self-conscious when I smile and it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. It's extremely swollen still, but most of it will be gone it 2 weeks. The final results won't be visible for about a year. That is one thing to remember with rhinoplasties- patience is key! Now, I'm back to work, wearing makeup, going out, etc. (6 days after surgery). I still have slight bruises under my eyes that are covered with makeup, and my nose is a bit painful and numb. I'll continue to post my progress, but it was overall well worth it!

"leaving a slight bump" instead of "leave a slight...

"leaving a slight bump" instead of "leave a slight bump"

Swelling is almost all gone (maybe 20% left to go)...

Swelling is almost all gone (maybe 20% left to go) and it looks fantastic. I had my follow-up today and got the pictures of "before and after" side by side as a souvenir which I'll share with everyone. SO glad I went through with this! Still little feeling in the tip of my nose but I'm told this will go away with time.
New York Plastic Surgeon

My doctor was great and really listened to my questions and concerns. He called me the day after my procedure to see how I was doing. However, when I was in post-op recovery, the nurses working were not very friendly considering my circumstances and I felt almost rushed to get out of recovery. They called my boyfriend and told him if he didn't pick me up in ten minutes they would put me in the waiting room! I did notify my doctor of this who said he would speak with them.

Your nose looks absolutely amazing and natural, defiantly going to look into your doctor! x
Looks amazing
Hey girlie!! I LOVE your nose!! OMG it looks great!! lol I've always had a love hate relationship with my nose (it's a lot like yours was) and I can't stand that bump!
Thank you! When I initially came out and told people I wanted a nose job everyone thought I was nuts and I got a lot of backlash because everyone thought it was "fine to begin with," but we know ourselves better than anyone else and what we want! Despite the negativity I went through with it and is one of the best decisions of my life. It was something I had wanted since I was 13 and was my number one priority after moving out of my parents' house (who wouldn't support my decision at all) and my confidence was through the roof after I had it done. Now with the boobs I'm on Cloud 9! :) Sometimes you just have to ignore the opposition and go with your gut!
Yea my parents.. And bf would kill me if I brought it up but maybe after my bank account fills up a little bit ill start talking about it :)
I had been living with my boyfriend since 2010 4 hours away from home so I never told my parents about my nose until I had to go back and visit. Same goes for this although I'm really not sure they'll notice because I wear padded bras all the time. It's definitely a tough subject to bring up because these people love you for who you are and have a hard time understanding that you would want to change anything about yourself!
Bleck lol my bf n I live about 20 min from my parents so were there all the time :/ and it's great they love us for who we are but they should also love us enough to understand if we want to change something about ourselves to be more confident and comfortable in our own skin lol UGH
You are right... day 2 and this is worse than yesterday. Just the swelling and bruising is uncomfortable but I feel good about what the results will look like! Husband says my tip already looks better even with all the swelling!Hopefully I start improving on Fri
Thanks! Good luck, you'll do just fine. The first week is the worst but when you get through that it's SO worth it!!!
Love your story.. thanks! I feel much better about going into surgery tomorrow. I have been so anxiety ridden and nervous. Patience is a virtue I guess! :)
you look gorgeous! your nose looks really nice and suits you so well
you look great!
Your nose looks great I love the ski-shape look.
Thanks! I did a ton (years) of research and reading up on rhinoplasty before this procedure- as far as my understanding goes, you're still looking at a lot of money (maybe $5,000)- because of the fact that you need to go to a board-certified rhinoplasty specialist who has years of experience and obviously knows what they're doing. This is the best way to ensure you get the exact results you're looking for. Keep in mind this was the cost of the anesthesiologist and surgical fees on top of the doctor's fee. (My doctor's fee was $4,000). The tip of my nose has a tiny scar from where it was cut (not too noticeable) and will fade over time. It's also still numb, a friend of mine who had her nose done by my doctor said the tip of her nose was numb for a year. However, it's something you get used to and it's not nearly as noticeable as it was right after surgery. Otherwise it's a little sore but that goes away over time, too.
wow the dr.did a great job! looks good(: I'm setting up a consulation for tip rhinoplasty. Do u have idea how much just a reduction is? do u have any other input/details on that part of the procedure and healing time? Thnx

What fabulous results! Thanks so much for keeping us updated with your pics.

Hey how long till you went back to working out? I am hoping I can manage no more than a week. I cant go more than a week without exercise!! How did you manage?
I'm the same way! I work out 6-7 days a week, cardio and lifting. My doctor told me to wait 3 weeks until any exercise-- however I started lifting very lightly after a week. I waited until the 2-week mark to start up on the elliptical/bike (less bouncing around), and 3 weeks to run. For someone who is really into exercise it's definitely tough and not being able to really work out made me pretty miserable for awhile, but it's all worth it when you see the results!
oh my I am the exact same way! I am having mine done in 2 weeks and I think I will also start light lifting the week after and then the stationary bike for cardio lol. Let me tell you, that was my first question I asked my doctor was how soon I could go back to the gym, so I know your pain but after seeing your results I know it will all be worth it. THanks for your response!
Good luck with everything, let me know how it goes!
i agree your nose looks amazing! you are so beautiful!! :)
Omg u r so beautiful I swear! That doctor did an amazing job on u and u r healing so well
oh wow! your nose looks spectacular!!! I can only pray I get similar results!!!
wow! i love your nose! you are gorgeous!
Hey There... Your nose did come out great! Looks amazing. How soon will you post updated pics? Do you already see a difference in your swelling or is it slow?? I had one last wednesday 09/14 and I have my cast off...but yes its swollen and a little concerned that this is the jist of how my nose will look like in the end. Hope you post some pics of an update :)