People with Darker Skin Should NOT Use Fraxel for Acne. Use EMatrix - New York

I spent numerous hours looking at this website and...

I spent numerous hours looking at this website and many others on reviews for Fraxel on African American skin and could not find any. I was scheduled to get my first Fraxel treatment on Sept 15, 2010. I was very nervous due to all the reviews I did read and the lack of information for people with darker skin. I spoke with my doctor about my concerns and he recommended I use eMatrix instead of the Fraxel because Fraxel has been know to leave additional marks after the procedure on darker skin. I am so glad I did it.

It was painless. All that you feel is a small stinging sensation and there was virtually no down time. He told me that it would take a week to see a small improvement and three months to see a big difference. I look like I have a little sunburn and I can still see the tiny dots that the eMatrix left on my cheek. I'm sure with time and making sure my skin is moisturized, it will fade away.

I am scheduled to have another session in Oct since my doctor prescribed I have the treatments a month apart. I am so glad there finally is some innovative technology for people with darker skin that suffer from acne. I am also keeping in mind that this isn't a miracle product I know it will take time to see improvements.

I hope my information helps.

4th treatment

So I just had my fourth ematrix treatment yesterday and I am a little worried about the results. It seems that she used a higher level and she went over the area two times and now I have dark spots instead of red spots like last time. I'm hoping this is just something from the higher level used (She used Program B this time). The picture I'm posting is the difference between my 3rd (bottom) and 4th session(top). I will definitely keep everyone updated on my progress and I hope everything turns out well for me from this procedure.

My doctor was very helpful, patience, and gave me all the pros and cons.

This is Realme9. Sorry that I've taken so long to respond. I was not able to continue the eMatrix procedure because it was too expensive for mu budget. I recently moved to Korea and I was able to get the eMatrix procedure done here for much cheaper than in America (3 sessions =$1200) plus other free treatments as part of the service. My skin had greatly improved from the first two sessions but I still need additional work. I just had my third session today so I am a little red. I will get my fourth session next month. I will try to keep everyone updated.
I have a question for Realme9...I have the same complexion as you and am trying to smooth out a textural irregularity (what I think are pores) that are located in my upper cheek region and nose. I have a consultation for the eMatrix procedure tomorrow and was soo happy to come across your review which was really helpful!! I noticed gradual improvement in the smoothing out of the textured area of your skin. What level treatment did you get...Program A, B, or C? A lot of the reviews that I've read say that they got the highest level. Just wanted to know so I can get the same improvement in my skin
I am a person of Indian origin and tried ematrix about a year ago. Sorry, but I went thru 6 sessions of ematrix for pitted boxcar scars on my cheeks and there was little to no improvement whatsoever. I spent a grand total of $5000- complete rip-off. The truth is ematrix just isn't powerful enough to help improve acne scars- AT ALL. The only good news was there was no scarring or negative side effects. Last week I took the plunge (despite the mixed reviews) and had my first session of fractional restore dual laser which is supposed to be more effective on scars. I spent about $600 (for cheeks only) and the doc is HIGHLY reputable. It's been a week, there is still some blotchiness and I'm definitely still in the throes of the healing process. I feel it's too early for me to fairly tell whether my scars look any better. Will update as soon as I have more definitive results.
i will keep all posted
I really do wish you have much better luck than most ppl with the reduction of scars. It'd be really good and encouraging to know that it works. And i hate to see ppl get ripped off and saddened after all that hoping. It's very sad! It'll make me happy to know that it works out for you. Please keep us posted.
alright guys thanks for your comments. i have registered with american laser center in manhattan for $2600 for 4 sessions. but my only problem is that the nurse who performs the procedure has been doing ematrix only since 1 yr! that's too little an experience to let your face go in hands of someone!! so skeptical abt that. praying it goes well.

BKIndian, as a doctor myself, i can def say that the technology works, not at the superficial level, but more insisde at the dermis, where collagen production is stimulated. it takes abt 28 days for topmost layers of epidermis to be shed off, which is when new layers from beneath come to the surface. this is an ongoing natural process every 28 days. that is the reason, most cosmetic procedures/creams will take at least 3-4 wks to START showing effect. Since, ematrix acts more at the dermal level, it will take more no. of weeks to show significant improvement. therefore it is recommended that at least 3- 4 sessions are required to show significant results. of course it varies with every person.

*only my scientific opinion, not intended as recommendation/prescription for anyone.
Please, you're misleading people by saying the average cost is $1549! That's very far from the average of 1 treatment. That's more like a package price of 3 or 4 treatments. The average cost of 1 treatment is more like $400 to $500. If you find one review from someone stating that their scars are drastically reduced after treatment, please share a link. This thread is about scarring, so don't post that 66% here since it doesn't apply

happyderma, please don't be rude. Its not necessary. We are here to share & learn from each other.

As I stated, that is the average cost reported by our community members. I wasn't claiming that was the cost for any particular number of treatments or for any particular cause, its simply an average.

Here is someone who seemed pretty happy with their results:

Ematrix my Experience - Nashville, TN

I'm not trying to be rude. I thought the information you posted was misleading. We were talking about cost of single treatment. $1000 is way overpriced.
Hi Megan P, I don't wanna get in between conversations, but I looked at the picture by Nashville, TN. He DOESN'T have any scars on his face. All he has some spots, which will disappear in few years WITHOUT any treatment (when you pass certain age it might take longer), but acne scars like I have won't disappear by time.
BK Indian, I have read your other posts and seen your pics. I believe mine is similar level of scarring. I believe you got a very good deal. Do you have any suggestions in New York city. I shall greatly appreciate. My doc is charging $1000 per session for 7 sittings + $100 for anesthetic cream per session alongwith $200 per peel session- about 4-5 peels sittings. That's a crazy amount!!

Thanks!
Hi Kanag, $1000 is waaaaaaaay to much for this treatment. Since I got 3 treatments so far, I don't think it even worth for $100 per treatment (The machine itself probably won't cost $10K, it's a small device. 4 16" laptops on top of each other). After 3 treatments, I am starting to think that it was just a waste of money. I don't see any difference. The only thing it does help to remove the top layer of your skin. If you read my post, my last treatment was on the top level the machine had.. still the same. Sorry I don't know any docs in NY. On this site, there may be doctors could give you recommendation.

$1000 is a total rip off! Even for NYC. My mom is getting it done for 2/3 of that price and so far it's not really working at all! You will regret it

happyderma, that isn't really a far statement given we don't know factors such as the difference in training between the people doing the treatments. That and other things such as geographical location can play a huge role in the price of course. Also, the average cost reported by our community members is $1,549. Right now the worth it rating is at 66%, which means well over half thought it was worth it.

Hi Realme9,

I am an Indian female in late 20s and have been advised ematrix for my facial acne scarring - about 7 sessions (interspersed with chemical peels). I see that you are in nyc and so am I, but the doc I went to is exhorbitantly expensive!!! ($1000 per ematrix session + peels). (I believe he is one of the best in the country). But it is very expensive for me, so I wanted to to ask you more about Dr. Coicon whom you went to.

Can you pls tell me how skilled is he, since how long is he doing laser (and ematrix) procedures on the face,etc. Also, was $600 for one session ? (i am guessing you took 2 sessions totally).

If anyone else has any recommendations for a good and less expensive doc in nyc for ematrix, I shall greatly appreciate that.

Thanks,
kanag

Two weeks ago, I got my 1st treatment and it all disappeared on the 7th day. If you are trying to get this done, follow pretty much everything what they tell you on their Dos and Don'ts list, except their expensive lotion. Use lotion that has no alcohol or acid in it. I also did a test spot on my wrist, which I treated like any other area. I noticed that spot is taking longer to cure than my face. The dots are fading, but very slowly.

Hi, while I was searching on the web I found this website and I couldn't help myself so here I am: I used to sell Laser and IPL, which both technologies can be very good if you're getting treatments on a very good machine and the technician knows what she/he is doing. However, if you have dark skin you are for sure running a risk to get burn, I will explain why: Laser and IPL are attractive to anything that has pigmentation and it is not consider smart technology...what do I mean is not smart technology? even if the technician sets the machine "for Hair Removal" it doesn't mean the machine will strictly focus only on the hair. The machine will just do what the protocols are set as...meaning if the laser or IPL is set to stay under your skin for 5 to 8 ms looking for the bulb (root to kill)
it might be more attractive to the pigmentation of the skin and not the hair..this is why darker skin customers tend to find it more painful and run a higher risk to burn. I decided to find a more safe technology for my clients and they can have in their practice so that the risk for burning will be very minimum to nothing. I did my homework and I found out LHE technology. LHE (Light Heat and Energy) what I like about this company is that they designed a special hand piece that allows the client with dark skin to get the treatments without a risk or the level of pain will be a lot less. This hand piece actually avoids touching the epidermis (creating less discomfort) and yet the results will still be great! I hope I was able to share some information for those of you who are looking for a technology that will be more safe and gentle on your skin.
Cheers!

DS456, if you are talking about Laser and hair removal, yes pigmentation is an issue (yet there are treatments for that too). Like you said, having a good technician and machine does matter. However, the topic here was using eMatrix. eMatrix uses radio waves (similar to microwaves, but at a very very low rate - correct me if I am wrong: I knw electronics, but not an expert). I had a protocol done on my neck-under ear, two weeks before the treatment. After 5 days it disappeared... Well, let me post another post on the treatment.

Thanks so much for posting this. It's so hard to find reviews for African-Americans. Keep us updated on your progress. Do you know if you can get ematrix if you have active acne?

Thanks!

I don't know the answer to your question, but what I think would be wise to see a doctor and take medicine for acne, before you get the treatment. Now I daily clean my face with alcohol (before bed) to avoid any new breakouts. I used to take medicine when I was young, but didn't want to depend on it too long, but was a mistake. I am over 30 and still get acne if I don't clean (b4 bed) and control my food(dairy products).

RealMe9, thanks for the update. Please keep us informed about your treatment progress. I'm really happy to know that ematrix is working out for you!

Wanted to thank you for your post!

I'm very sorry it took so long for me to post back. I completely forgot I posted this lol. But I had one more additional eMatrix procedure done the next month and I'm glad I did. My scars are not as deep and some of them have completely vanished. I still have a long way to go but with the use of a concealer, the scars are barely noticeable. I would definitely want to continue the treatment if it wasn't so expensive for a college student budget ($600). I would encourage people with darker skin to look into the eMatrix procedure. It is well worth it. My doctor's name is Dr. Coicon and I go to Fordham Dermatology in Nyc. Hope this helps. I will also try to post pictures very soon.
I want to mention I just had this treatment on Saturday morning, I left with a little sunburn look the pain was tolerable and treatment was only 20 minutes. There are no passes over the treated area unlike the fraxel which makes this treatment a little faster than most. It's Monday afternoon and I can still see some of the grid marks still from the treatment but this has faded since Saturday so I will be patient & not be concerned about this. My main reason why I got thisb treatment was because I have small "ice pick" acne scars that I have already had a subcision preformed on just 3 months prior that left little results, so after my 1st treatment I can see SIGNIFICANT improvement with the size of the scars getting smaller, the holes seem to be tightening up Very quickly & continue to be shrinking daily. Hope this information helps on mamking your decision :)
Hi dallasjen, how's your skin so far? Did you see further improvements with the scars? How much did you end up paying for your treatment? Thanks in advance for the info :)