Chin Micro Liposuction - Hoping for Great Results - New York, NY

I never post on forums/message boards, but I...

I never post on forums/message boards, but I learned so much from this site, I decided to pay it forward and write about my experience.

I went in to my doctor's office last Thursday for chin mini liposuction. I was given local anesthesia and was awake for the whole procedure. The tugging/pulling sensation was strange but not painful. Only one small incision was made right under my chin. The procedure took about an hour.

Afterwards, I was sent home with a chin compression garment on. The first day post op, my chin looked great. Since then, the swelling has kicked in so my chin looks the same pre-op, if not slightly worse. I know that the swelling takes at least 3 months to completely disappear so I just need to be patient. I had some bruising, but nothing too bad. I thought about going back to work on Monday but ended up taking another day off and going back on Tuesday. I wear turtlenecks, scarves and light makeup to cover the bruising. I've been taking Arnica 30c pills which may have helped with the bruising. I also started applying Arnica gel and taking Bromelain pills (to help with the swelling) a couple days after the surgery. For the first 2 days, I applied frozen bags of peas against my chin to also help with the swelling. My doctor told me to wear the compression garment for 3-4 days all day and then for 2 weeks at night. It's a pain wearing it for so long, but it's worth it as it helps tighten up the skin and minimize the swelling.

So far I haven't experienced any hardness, lumps, numbness or ropiness (knock on wood), but my chin is tender and feels sore when I touch it. I'm hoping after all the swelling goes down, my chin will look like it did the 1st day post op. So for that, I'm cautiously saying my surgery was worth it.

On day 12 post op, lumps started to appear. I've...

On day 12 post op, lumps started to appear. I've been trying to massage them several times a day - not fun!

It's been 3 months since my procedure and all the...

It's been 3 months since my procedure and all the swelling and most of the lumps have gone away. I'm pretty happy with the final results. I wish my doctor had taken out more fat, but I'd rather too little be taken out than too much. I'm thankful I had no nerve damage, tightness or skin puckering. If you're considering getting this procedure, just know that you will experience swelling, bruising and most likely lumps. You should expect to take at least 5 days off from work. I know some doctors say you can get the procedure done on Friday and be back to work on Monday, but I think that's impossible if you don't want people knowing what you did.

All in all, I'm glad I got the procedure done and think it was worth it.

Can you say which plastic surgeon you used in New York?

how much did it cost? how did you go about finding a doctor?

EvaP, Thanks for your reply. The swelling is a lot better after I started to put a bag with ice every night for 15 minuts, and taking every day a water pill (furosemine) that my primary doctor prescribed a long time ago, I did not bruise and I think that the arnica is for pain, but anyway I will ask the surgeon tomorrow.

Also I noticed the lumps, and I think they are caused by the injections of the anestesia.

Thanks for the update! Your latest photo looks great... if you still have lumps they aren't visible there. :) There's a really nice contour to your neck now. Congrats on your results and thanks for the advice on downtime, etc. I know someone who also had chin lipo and he was back to work pretty quickly, but the swelling lasted for months. I think it took close to 6 months for his to settle down completely.

I'm happy with my results, but if there's a little more swelling that goes away in the next 3 months, that would be even better. :)
Eva P, I read your post with great interest, I had the procedure done 11 days ago, it went well, no pain of bruisisng at all, however two days after the procedure the sweeling appear, big time, my chin looks worse than before the procedure despite that I using I the garment day and night.
I called the doctor office and the nurse told me that the sweeling was normal and not to east salty foods, but I look horrible, like if I had an egg under my chin.

Before the procedure, the doctor did not tell me that the sweeling will last 3 months, and everytime I look in the mirror I want to cry.

Next tuesday I have an appointment with the surgeon and I will let him know how I feel, since 3 months from now will be august.

Thanks for your post.
gema9340, the swelling won't stay this bad for the whole 3 months. Every day it should get less and less swollen. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how your body will react after getting this procedure done. Some people are lucky and have very little bruising/swelling, while others experience a lot. Ask your doctor if it's ok for you to take bromelain pills. They are suppposed to help with swelling. Also, try applying arnica gel to your chin. I'm not sure if either really helped my recovery, but it made me feel better doing something.
EvaP, how is your progress so far? Are you happy with the result?
I'm happy with the results, although I wish my doctor had taken a little more fat out. I'd love my chin to look a bit sharper. Still, I'd rather too little be taken out than too much. I'm really glad I didn't suffer any complications. The worst part was dealing with the lumps, which seems to be pretty common with liposuction.
Thanks! Pls post your result after 3mths!
Hi I am in ny too and would like to know which doc u went to? Does you face look sharper now?
AllureNyc,

Because of the lumps, the surface of my chin is uneven right now. I'm hoping after the lumps go away, my face will look sharper.

My PS was Dr. Janis DiPietro. I need to see how my chin looks after 3 months before I would recommend her to other people. FYI - I received a deep discount so I don't know what she normally charges for the procedure.

Please keep us updated with your progress. Hopefully with time and massage you'll have great results. can't wait to see your final post-op pics!

Your early results look great! Can't wait to see your final results.