Subperiosteal Midface Lift - New York

I would advise anyone considering this procedure...

I would advise anyone considering this procedure not to have it. The potential for harm is far too great for any tiny, subtle (and unlikely)improvement you might gain in facial contour. In my case, prior to the surgery I had a much better than average face and was only seeking to correct skelatonization of my infraorbital rims due to a poorly done short scar facelift by a young,inexperienced surgeon.

I opted for the midface lift instead of having a permanent filler placed under my eyes because the second surgeon said he lifts the corners of the mouth during this operation which is something fillers cannot do. He also said he could correct the small jowl on one side of my face which was left untouched by the short scar facelift.

Of many ironies, the midface lift not only did not lift the corners of my mouth or correct the jowl but my mouth is now lower and nonfuntional due to permanent nerve damage on both sides and the jowl is worse due to atrophy. I had no nasolabial folds or nasolabial lines before this surgery and, if I did have them, this surgery, which is designed to lessen them, should have helped. Yet the surgery caused not just one but two nasolabial lines on the right side, in part due to synkinesis and uncontrollable muscle contraction, and also a nasolabial fold on the left due to facial droop from nerve damage.

In addition to these problems, I suffered through a one and a half year process of atrophy of the temples and zygoma - which left the most bizarre facial structure you could imagine. Coupled with the strange lumpy peaks the surgeon created just below the outer corners of my eyes (causing contours more like angular masculine cheekbones than rounder, softer female contours)I now have a hexagonally-shaped lower face which looks decades older than it did on the morning of surgery. And, because my cheeks were bunched in an abnormal, much too medial position, I have depressions or canals running up my cheeks diagonally from the corners of my mouth up to and contiguous with the depressions over my zygomas and temples. This contributed to the formation of dreaded j-lines, the facelift stigmata that announce to the world that you had bad plastic surgey.

Also, two years post-surgery I still have considerable discomfort (dysesthia) over the surgical areas. I have other problems too numerous to discuss. All in all, this procedure caused the ruination of a very carefully maintained face.

I hope I can prevent someone else from suffering this fate. It is most definitely not worth it. Many thumbs down!