12 Years and Would Like Them out - Fayetteville, NY

I am small frame and had AA breasts. At 20yo I...

I am small frame and had AA breasts. At 20yo I felt the need to increase my breast size to feel "normal". I got 360cc saline implants (about a small C cup) on top of the muscle. I went to a very reputable surgen and was very happy with the results. However, as the years went on my breast slowly became asymmetrical and now I can't even stand to look at myself in the mirror.

The things nobody tells you are that:

1) you will have trouble breastfeeding (even though they say you will be fine!). The difficulty is that the breast becomes tight around the implant so that your infant cannot pull the nipple back into their mouth enough to properly latch on. For me it was also terribly painful when my milk came in because of the tightness. Additionally the hormones of pregnancy will seriously and permanently change the placement and appearance of your breast inplants.

2) breast plants are not forever. They will be "covered" under the warrenty plan if one ruptures, but you can't just get one surgery for the rest of your life. They WILL eventually rupture,it's just a matter of time.

3) they will not look good for half the time you own them. This is the saddest part. Because they change as you age (and develop strange purple varicose veins, I might add), you will be disatisfied with your appearance in a matter of a few years after getting them. This means additional surgeries that you can't afford.

4) if you go with saline (and you should because of the devastating health consequences of silicone if an implant breaks), they are hard as rocks, don't bounce and not as errotic as you might imagine. Mine looked good, but I always felt embarrassed when my romantic partner tried to caress them. The sensation in your nipples is also damaged from the nerve loss associated with the surgery(this is for all implants, saline or silicone).

5) with each surgery you have to go larger and larger to fix the sagging that eventually incurs from the previous implant. Further, there is often damage to the breast tissue and the "breast pocket" from the prior implants, so really they may never look right again after they begin to fail.

I have missed my double A's for years. I plan to have my implants removed and possibly have a lift. I wish I had the confidence that I have now years ago. Love yourselves ladies. You are beautiful just the way you are.

Syracuse Plastic Surgeon