Blurred Vision Post Eyelid Surgery - New York, NY

Had upper/lower eyelid surgery 5 weeks ago....

Had upper/lower eyelid surgery 5 weeks ago. Cosmetic results are great and swelling and bruising are subsiding nicely.

Issue is persistent blurred vision - dramatic change in astigmatism - blurred and double vision both far and near sight. Unable to read on computer clearly, its hard to work!! i have also had to cut myself off from online shopping - i have made some expensive non-refundable mistakes!!

got a second opinion abt vision - told cornea was scratched up a bit and i shld have been warned about risks of vision loss pre-op. Neither eyedoctor willing to give any guarantees abt whether vision will return to normal or time frame for healing. Eyeballs hurt most days and wake every day with sticky eyes - using a lot of lubricating drops. Eyes tire if too much attempted reading. Big issue is 2me is vision loss - will it improve. Also lack of information online abt the real recovery time from this op.

Given low twilight during operation so was completely aware of surgery and comments - very traumatic to be this awake.

Can anybody shed any light on potential to recover vision loss? Also given no pain meds for post op.

I already saw 2 eye specialists a week ago (op...

i already saw 2 eye specialists a week ago (op surgeon and a second eye specialist) - and was met with my least favorite medical response - "bafflement". Told to wait and see (hopefully the last was literal)! Usually get this medical response when doctors do not know the answer so am soldiering on myself. Frustrated but hopeful as have noticed small vision improvements each day. RealSelf.com has lessened the burden of coping with this alone. Thanks everyone!

Hi Santa Barbara, thx for circling back to me -...

Hi Santa Barbara,
thx for circling back to me - very sweet of you. Can't believe you can wear contacts! My eyeballs are still sore although have improved versus the early days.
I have dry eye and tearing every day. Moved to Refresh Liquigel and the thicker solution works better. Problem is allergy season in NYC and the blossums just hit - exacerbating sore eye issue. Going to see a corneal specialist (read eye god) next week so hopeful that will get better insight into the situation.
Have all new glasses prescriptions so its easier to read online. Reading hard copy still difficult. Left eye is veiny and painful in tear duct.
Silver lining is that i look fantastic!!
Thank you for asking and have a great week.

3 months post upper and lower lid bleph. now have...

3 months post upper and lower lid bleph. now have "dry eye" which is excruciatingly painful and now needs extensive management. Totally not worth it. What was i thinking??
my eyeglass prescription changed with the increase in astigmatism.
eyelid surgery made my life a living hell.
Should have been forewarned abt possible "dry eye" and its pain. also abt the corneal scratching. No evaluation done beforehand as to predilection towards "dry eye" which i gather is standard with lasik patients.

Low twilight and awake during surgery. No pain meds for post op. Poor post op access to doctor. Unreturned calls. Not enough pre and post op information given. Not enough disclosure of the severity of the change in astigmatism.

At 4 weeks it might still just be the swelling causing the lids to flip and the creases to be there. I am more worried why your doctor does not return your calls! I would go to his office and demand an appointment. Is he board certified? You can always threaten to report him to the board as well as the better business bureau. No PS wants that! It is in his/her best interest to make sure you are happy.
Was the swelling and bruising mostly gone after two weeks? I can only get two weeks off from work and wouldn't want to go back with significant brusing. Thank you, Dani
My blood pressure went up during the surgery. I had bruising for 3 weeks - visible even with makeup. All bruising gone by 5 weeks. Swelling was still present and noticeable at 3 weeks. After a month only I noticed the remaining swelling - which lasted for over 4 months. This was particularly true of the under eye area (I had upper and lower bleph). Lower bleph is tricky and I would definitely make sure your surgeon has done many of these procedures. I would not have had the lower bleph if I had to do it over again. Too risky.
Swelling and bruising was there for about 5 weeks (but i am a slow healer). Living in New York is great - no-one made any comments! i took 2 weeks off but really should have made it 3 as the post-surgery dry eye complications made prolonged reading very painful.
i agree with Santa Maria - lower bleph too risky and not worth it. Proceed with caution. :)
Wow. That's scary. So your cornea was damaged during double eyelid surgery? That's not a good sign. Who was your surgeon? Does he have extensive experience doing Asian eyelid surgery? He/she didn't seem to be competent or follow any safety rules.

I just had Asian eyelid surgery 4 weeks ago and I'm not too happy about it. My creases on my left side are too deep. They are so deep that my lids are flip upward. I can see under my lids. I look like a freak.

When I closed my eyes, the creases are still there. Why don't they flatten out? Aren't your eyelids suppose to be flat and smooth when you close your eyes? Geez. I'm worried all the time now.

Do you think this problem will resolve itself? My doctor won't return my calls. I'm very suspicious and angry about this.

Thanks,
Anna
Thx - i love Costco - will give them a whril! :)
I used the ones from Costco (double pack) 2 a day. No fishy burps or any digestive issues. And they are cheap:)
What kind of fish oil pills? Can i get them at the Health Food Shop? thx:)
How is your recovery going New York 4755? I still have occasional dryness in the left eye only. It waters a little on occasion - I live in a windy area! I am able to wear contacts all day again as well. I still see a small assymetry (left eye smaller than right). Each week I see slight changes in the eyes. This week I noticed some more undereye swelling dissapating. I also noticed those weird wrinkles were going away under the eye. It feels much softer under the eye as well Hope you are doing better!
Hang in there! It took until Week 10 for my eyes to feel better! At week 8 I had the light sensitivity, eye pain and dry eye. Not sure what worked - but here are the things I changed: 1. started using optifree multi purpose for contacts instead of equate brand 2. stopped using ALL eye drops (genteal, blink, night time gel drops) 3. started taking fish oil pills twice a day. I honestly think something in the drops caused my eye irritation! Have you tried not using any drops for a week? I guess I am just sensitive to an ingredient in them.
Thanks for your insights. not using contact lens currently. Not sure i could go without the Systane Balance as eyes are still painful snd the Systane offers some relief. - maybe i will try no drops in a week.
Glad that you felt better at Week 10 - it gives me hope - i am not alone!! Will definitely give the fish oil a shot.
Thanks for sharing - i feel better. :)
Hi Santa Maria,
Vision still blurry at 8 weeks post op. Light sensitivity. eye pain and dry eye continues. Right eye feels like there is something in it. Going to Vegas in June so like you am worried abt that environment - great that you had no problems.
My vision continues to be blurry and i have new eyewear prescriptions (lenses are expensive!. Saw opthalmologist today and he prescribed some cortisone drops (Pred Forte) for my eyes - but am hesitant to use these as side effects and potential complications are off putting. Also recommended Refresh PM for night time.
Eye surgeon continues to be "baffled" by my slow recovery but assures me that vision issues will resolve in time and redness in lids will abate.
Feel that i have been "imprisoned" by my eyes for the last 8 weeks. Not fun but trying to be patient.
Thanks for your post and i wish you a speedy recovery. :)
Hi New York 4755: I have been using the drops as opthamologist instructed. Last night I had some discomfort in my RIGHT eye (this was the one I had no issues with) and now it is red and burning. The left one seems ok so not sure if the drops (genteal and blink) caused it or if I got something in it. If its not one thing its another! So today I am dealing with my right eye and my left eye. Does it ever end? How are your vision issues? Did you ever experience any burning/redness from drop use?
Hi Santa Barbara,
sorry to hear abt your troubles. the Systane Balance drops are pretty gentle and do not sting at all. vision is slowly getting better but jury still out on whether it will adjust back to normal. i am going for a 3rd opthalmic evaluation next week armed with many questions. i want to zero in on cause of blurry vision. is it due to:
swollen eyeball
change in corneal tear film
dry eye from lack of complete closure while sleeping (not sure if this is happening as i close them tight before sleeping).
one day this week, for no apparent reason my left eye was very blood shot - fixed this by using lots of lubricating drops.
have also tried to limit eye tiring functions like reading, online research and things requiring a lot of focusing of the eyes.
the only time i got burning was early recovery when i washed my face and accidentally got soap in my eyes - fixed this by lots of flushing face with water.
Trick is to be gentle and give eyes lots of rest while trying to get on with your life. its a nerve wracking recovery with the vision issues but i have learnt through past experience to have patience and work through each one at a time. A good attitude is key - that and faith that things will get better. Its a process to get through like most of life. it helps me to know you too are grappling with these issues - not being alone is very comforting. Keep me updated on your progress and all the best for a lovely weekend:)
Hello New York 680! I stopped taking the genteal drops as well as the blink contact drops for 30 hours. The eyes are no longer red and much less irritation. Then today I put in my contacts and tried a couple drops of blink contact drops. No issues so far... Maybe I used "too much" of the drops on Wednesday??? RE eye closeure: The opthamologist actually asked me if my eyes closed completely during the early recovery. I told him I didn't know as I cant see what goes on at night. Even if you close them tight once you relax they could be opening. I have been putting cvs gel drops in the eyes right before I go to bed (no reaction to this drop) for about 2 weeks now. Then I don't wake up in the middle of the night with eye pain (left eye). Perhaps you should try a gel drop or even an ointment just to be sure they aren't drying out? Also, could you be having a reaction to the drops you are using? I noticed immediately when I put the genteal drops in that my vision felt blurry and "dirty" for over an hour(i was wearing my glasses at the time). I truly wish that my ps had told me at my 3 week post op visit that I should be using drops or ointment at night - this might have kept me from getting "dry eye"!! I even told him my eye aches and I was getting involuntary "squinting" episodes.

I am very concerned with your vision issues. I know I am not seeing as well as I did before the surgery and I hope time and patience will resolve all of these issues for us! Have a good weekend and take care!
Hi Santa Barbara,
Vision is getting better but very, very slowly. Less pain. i scheduled another apptmt with another opthamalogist to get more insight or at least measure if there has been progress.
Glad that i have had experience with painful recoveries before so am not as panicky as i could be.
Last time i will ever let anyone near my eyes for anything!!!
Its about soldiering on - so i am in this process - have set the 2 month and 3 month mark as arbitrary watershed times.
i would never had undergone the surgery had i known that vision loss was a likelihood.
Thank god for sites like RealSelf where one can find honest reviews of the recovery process difficulties.
Have a lovely weekend and feel better.
hI! Just wondering if your vision has improved? I went to Vegas recently and was concerned the smoke and dry air would irritate my eyes. Anyway, I had absolutely no issues. Since discontinuing ALL drops my eyes have felt better. I have started taking fish oil as someone mentioned this helps dry eye. My eyes are still have a few red lines but no more feeling like something in the eye. A little sore still underneath. Wondering when the red will go away as I never had this issue prior to surgery. Hoping your vision is improving as well!
Hi Santa Barbara,

the drops i am using are OTC Systane Balance - lubricating drops. My 2nd doc said to discontinue the Tobradex drops as these may cause blurriness and there is potential to overuse the Tobradex.

i totally agree abt the long recovery period - i am at 6 weeks and although swelling and bruising have abated am only thru what i consider the first leg of recovery. Vision, eyeball soreness and red sutures all need to resolve. i hope this will happen within the 3 month period. i wish i had the certainty abt the vision resolving - its my major concern.

Thanks again for your reply - its comforting to hear that someone else has similar issues. :)
Yes - thank you! The opthamologist said I have reduced tearing as a result of the remaining swelling of my eyes. He said there are no other complications (big relief!). He also said (as you have) that I need to put drops in my eyes several times a day. He gave me some eye drops and told me to use "blink contact" drops when I wear contacts. It should resolve within a month was his prediction. I only hope that I don't have any reaction to the drops!! I hear that some cause blurry vision and irritation (preservatives). I agree with you 100 percent that most blepharoplasty patients have NO idea the recovery time for this surgery. I thought I would be completely recovered at 3 weeks. I am still somewhat swollen at 8 weeks! When I smile I get a weird "fat roll" under my regular crease on my bottom eye. This just appeared about a week ago (I think the swelling is draining down my face). Thank you for the encouragement NewYork 4755. I am now going to take tylenol every day for the ache. Let's stay in touch and check on our healing status!
My second opinion doc said that internal sutures are what scratches the cornea - until they heal they may scratch the cornea. Early post op the corneal scratching felt to me like i had a contact lens in my eye = however this feeling abated as the internal sutures healed and the feeling was worse in the right eye. Lots of lubricating drops are key as well as i reverted to cold compresses over eyes once or twice daily.

i too was pretty upset abt the corneal abrasion as i would not have taken such a risk with the precious gift of sight. Any eye doctor can do tests with their dyes and dilation to get an accurate idea as to what is going with your cornea and retina. Best to seek this from a doctor other than your op surgeon as they 2nd doc is likely to be more honest.

Pain management for the deep eyeball pain has also been important - extra strength tyenol does the trick.
i have also been resting as much as possible to give my eyes a break and wearing sunglasses. Light sensitivity has abated somewhat.

The medical study i went found said that only 6% of vision issues due to eyelid surgery proved permanent - so keep the faith.

Also, now sleeping upright again has made a big difference - i noticed the blurriness was worse in the morning versus evening and found it interesting that my vision improved over the course of the day. Sometimes small adjustments (sleeping upright) like this make a big difference. Apparently laying flat does not let the sclera swelling abate as quickly.

Please keep the faith as my vision improves daily albeit at a glacial pace. i am hoping for a return to normal within the 3 month time frame.

Big hugs. i know its a lot to go through and i have felt imprisoned by my blurred vision especially in the early days. Now i am managing better and i am sure you will too.

its a pity the medical profession is not better at managing expectations and providing ongoing support and information through this nerve wracking experience.

Hope this helps Santa Barbara!
I am 8 weeks post op upper/lower bleph. I still have some swelling both above and below eye. My right eye feels great but I have had issues with left. I went back to doctor at 5 weeks and expressed how it felt like something in the left eye, sensitivity to light, and sometimes a deep twitch. He said all was fine. Well it is weeks later and I still feel an ache in the left eye as well as the symptoms above. I have an appt with an opthamologist/eye surgeon today to check on this. If I have a corneal abrasion that my ps overlooked I am going to be very angry as this could affect my eyesight! Do these symptoms sound like a "scratch"?
I also have some ocassional blurry vision (very seldom). My right eye seems that it needs a new prescription (I wear contacts)..
There is some info on the internet abt blurred vision after eyelid changes. Cited as due to dry eye or refractive changes. My op doctor did not warn me pre-op that vision change was a possibility and stated when i asked "i do not go near your eye (meaning the visual eye)". also all my research pre-op did not unearth this as a possibility.

My cornea was a little scratched up post op (confirmed by a second eye doctor) and also there was a big increase in astigmatism in the left eye (change from cylinder -.50 to -2.10). Both doctors expressed "bafflement" as to this change - post op. Also, both doctors said this may adjust in time.

my internet research reveals that in a medical study 74% of 100 eyelid surgery cases had some vision changes - however only 6% of these were permanent. Time to resolve vision disturbances - usually up to 3 months to 1 year.

my vision is improving - at a glacial rate. its now 6 weeks post op. my eyes are a lot less light sensitive and the blurring is abating somewhat. Got some new prescription glasses last week but these are only for reading hard copy. also, glasses are less useful as vision is changing.

its hard to research possible answers when your vision is blurred. one tip however is to not lay flat at night - this has made a difference. i am using a lot of lubricating eye tears. Eyeball pain has abated somewhat.

have felt imprisoned by eyes or lack of sight for the last 6 weeks - not sure i would recommend this surgery for the faint of heart.

i read somewhere that refractive changes are usually due to a swollen sclera and if so this resolves over time.

i am hopeful that vision issues will clear in time. Until then have promised my eyes faithfully that i will never subject them to any more invasive surgery.

Thanks for your comment and the tip. i will post on the Doctor Q & A.

Regards,

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. :( I've never heard of blurry vision after eyelid surgery. Did your doctor mention this as a possible complication?

You may also want to post your question on our Doctor Q&A Forum for some professional opinions.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. I hope things get better for you soon.