Adult Acne- Why Me? - Novi, MI

I decided to go to the dermatologist for acne that...

I decided to go to the dermatologist for acne that I have been dealing with since I was a teenager. I am 28 now and I'm still dealing with it. I always acne on my face especially on my cheeks and it gets worse before my period. I usually try covering it up with makeup. I was using murad acne cleanser, a glycolic acid based toner and acne free benzolyal peroxide based lotion and murad spf 30 lotion.

The Dr. prescribed me Solodyn (minocycline HCI) pills to take daily, and Veltin (clindaymcin phosphate and tretinoin) gel to use at night. During the day they said to use cerve moisturizer.

They also recommended me to take birth control pills. I am debating it because I was on it in the past and it made me have horrible mood swings. Is there a birth control pill that doesn't cause bad side effects?

I hope this works, I am starting the treatment today :)

Annoyed

So it's been 10 days so far. I'm not sure if it's getting better yet :/ if this doesn't work in another week I'll be considering birth control

It's improving

I have noticed a big improvement. I also feel like if I don't stay on top of the oral medication I begin to break out. But it has been way better lately and my skin is also smoother

Great to hear that you are seeing improvements :)
I am 51 and suffer from cystic acne which is very painful. I guess it's due to hormones at my age. I have tried hydrocortisine shots they don't seem to work for me, antibiotics, different acne cleansers, Benny peroxide. Nothing works and I am embarrassed by them and tired of the pain they cause. My dermatologist is going to put me on a different antibiotic for cystic acne. I hope it works. I am tired of trying to win the battle with these painful cysts. Anybody else feel that way? I did not have acne as a teenager so I just don't get it why I am getting it when I am so old.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I suffered from acne since my teens. Tried many skin care routines, cleansers, creams etc. But none worked and some even made my acne severe. Had breakouts and even they caused scars. I lost all my confidence. But my decision of seeing a dermatologist was the right one and the money i spent for the treatment was really worth it when considering the money i spent over creams. I went to fairview clinic, Toronto and underwent scar removal laser treatment and also acne treatment.
What type of laser did they use?
Hello, I'm just browsing realself as I do every once in a while and wanted to say that I know how you feel. I suffered teenage acne and went on every medicine up to and including roaccutane, which always worked when I was on it and would come back within months of being off it. I also suffer from PCOS, and yet never regularly went on the pill. About six months ago, my skin started breaking out in areas I never used to get it - around my mouth and on my cheeks which apparently is hormonal. After a fertility specialist told me I HAD to go on the pill to reduce risk of cervical cancer, I did. I also started treatment with a family friend using a combination of lactic acid and salcylic acid peels and blue/red light therapy. I also took a deep breath and invested in an entire new range of products. Up until then, I'd been using a mild natural cleanser, thinking I didnt want to strip my skin of oil and make it produce more - big mistake. It seems I wasn't helping my skin turnover the old cells, blocking the pores and causing the pimples. This new routine has been amazing. It's not cheap right now, and the treatment with the family friend consists of seeing her once a week for ten weeks, having either a strong or weak peel (alternate so as to rest the skin a bit) and going under the blue/red lights for up to 50 minutes (most treatment is for 20 mins). I can tell you, I was at my wits end. My skin at the start was so angry, and even for the first couple of weeks it was breaking out and I was trying SO HARD to be patient while slathering on the makeup. But, the result has been unreal. The oilyness has stopped - I'm not kidding. The lady puts it down to the light therapy. The few pimples I have now are drying up, in fact as I write now I have nothing active. I know I sound like an advert or something, but I truly thought for the rest of my life roaccutane would be the only option to keep getting my skin under control. Now I wonder if it's the birth control pill kicking in combined with this skin care regime. Definintely talk to your doctor about different types of pills for the mood swings, but remember there are certain ones that are specifically chemically made up for targeting acne. Also, I'm not on it, but I came across it the other day - spironolactone, for hormonal acne. Maybe look into it? it's normally a hypertension medicine but apparently can assist for acne. If the results of my current treatment turn out to be temporary, God forbid, I was going to talk to my doctor about it. As Eva has written below, diet could be playing a part - I eat a LOT of dairy, and apparently the animal hormones/proteins etc in dairy can cause havoc with your own hormones, triggering sebum production. All the very best. Obviously I have no medical background, but I am a 30 year old female who has battled bad skin since being a teenager, so I hope this helps, and feel free to ask me anything.

Hi MsMM, so glad to hear you resolved you issue, it's a great feeling to move past acne. I don't have the acne anymore at all, but I have many scars that remain...one step at a time. One thing I can say is you are absolutely right on the dairy (it's mucus forming, acidic, etc) I had to cut out all animal products - I am completely vegan (over 5 years now) and have not had an outbreak since...not one. I eat a ton of raw foods too...food (in my opinion) plays a huge role on our health. We should always aim to keep our bodies alkaline (not acidic) and animal products are highly acidic. I am not suggesting to become vegan just sharing what worked for me. :)

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thanks for sharing your story, I am glad you reached out to a doctor for help.  I understand completely how frustrating persistent adult acne can be, I was a long time suffer of cystic acne (18-30's) I had many prescriptions, hormone tests, nothing worked for me...however after playing with my diet and understanding what my trigger foods were I was able to clean it up. I wish you much success, please keep us posted :)

PS if you are comfortable, would you consider posting some pictures?