Adult Acne- Why Me? - Novi, MI

I decided to go to the dermatologist for acne that...

I decided to go to the dermatologist for acne that I have been dealing with since I was a teenager. I am 28 now and I'm still dealing with it. I always acne on my face especially on my cheeks and it gets worse before my period. I usually try covering it up with makeup. I was using murad acne cleanser, a glycolic acid based toner and acne free benzolyal peroxide based lotion and murad spf 30 lotion.

The Dr. prescribed me Solodyn (minocycline HCI) pills to take daily, and Veltin (clindaymcin phosphate and tretinoin) gel to use at night. During the day they said to use cerve moisturizer.

They also recommended me to take birth control pills. I am debating it because I was on it in the past and it made me have horrible mood swings. Is there a birth control pill that doesn't cause bad side effects?

I hope this works, I am starting the treatment today :)

Thanks for sharing your story, I am glad you reached out to a doctor for help.  I understand completely how frustrating persistent adult acne can be, I was a long time suffer of cystic acne (18-30's) I had many prescriptions, hormone tests, nothing worked for me...however after playing with my diet and understanding what my trigger foods were I was able to clean it up. I wish you much success, please keep us posted :)

PS if you are comfortable, would you consider posting some pictures?

Annoyed

So it's been 10 days so far. I'm not sure if it's getting better yet :/ if this doesn't work in another week I'll be considering birth control

I am 51 and suffer from cystic acne which is very painful. I guess it's due to hormones at my age. I have tried hydrocortisine shots they don't seem to work for me, antibiotics, different acne cleansers, Benny peroxide. Nothing works and I am embarrassed by them and tired of the pain they cause. My dermatologist is going to put me on a different antibiotic for cystic acne. I hope it works. I am tired of trying to win the battle with these painful cysts. Anybody else feel that way? I did not have acne as a teenager so I just don't get it why I am getting it when I am so old.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I suffered from acne since my teens. Tried many skin care routines, cleansers, creams etc. But none worked and some even made my acne severe. Had breakouts and even they caused scars. I lost all my confidence. But my decision of seeing a dermatologist was the right one and the money i spent for the treatment was really worth it when considering the money i spent over creams. I went to fairview clinic, Toronto and underwent scar removal laser treatment and also acne treatment.

It's improving

I have noticed a big improvement. I also feel like if I don't stay on top of the oral medication I begin to break out. But it has been way better lately and my skin is also smoother

Great to hear that you are seeing improvements :)