Finally At Age 23 I Had This Done! - Nova Scotia, NS

So I've been lurking this site for months and...

So I've been lurking this site for months and months now, and I decided to finally make my first post!

I'm 23, and I've hated my nose for as far back as I can remember. As soon as I learned that there was a surgical procedure that could fix this, I think I had pretty much decided that eventually one day when I was older I would get this done, it was only a matter of time and money.

This past year has been when I really started seriously looking into my options for this. After making some calls regarding consults and financing, the ball just started rolling from there, and even though I wasn't really originally planning on getting it done, I realized I finally had the opportunity and decided to take it. I finally had to bring it up to a couple people in my life, such as my mom and 1 of my close friends. Even though this has been something that has consumed my thoughts in the past, I have never brought it up to anyone, because even discussing my nose with people close to me made me really uncomfortable. In fact just the mention of noses at times would make me cringe inside and try and hide mine somehow. Although I will say with age my insecurities regarding this have gotten way better than they used to. However it was still something I was very aware of, and disliked about my face.

My mom took it very well which was surprising to me. I did feel a little bad though saying this since I do get my nose from her, and didn't want to insult her in anyway. I made her promise not to tell my dad until I was sure I was going through with it, but she slipped anyway. Turns out he was really supportive, which was probably the most surprising out of everyone. My best friend has been great about it as well. Other than that I'm not really telling anyone until it's over and done with, I just think it'll be easier that way. Family and friends are easy, although I know some of my extended family will definitely be judgmental about it. But I am a little worried about going back to work and telling my co-workers, as well as I went on a couple dates with this guy right before my surgery and now have had to put him off saying I couldn't see him again until after my surgery and recovery (which I haven't specified what I had done). So that'll be interesting when I see him again haha.

I am now seriously starting to wish I had taken more time to really think about what I wanted and more thoroughly discuss this with my surgeon. I think I was just so excited I kept forgetting things and didn't take the time to really think it through.

Now here I am, 4 days post op and seriously worried that my results are not going to be what I really wanted. My major issue was my hump that I had. That's always been what has had be the most self conscious. However recently I've realized I wasn't really a big fan of my tip either. I tried to articulate that during my consult saying I thought it was "droopy" when I guess a better way to describe it would be slightly bulbous. and projected kind of far out. However my surgeon said my tip was fine and explained what he would do for the hump via a closed rhinoplasty, as well as do some cartilage work, and how this would shorten my nose, and my bridge would be narrower as well as give me either a straight of scooped nose.

However looking at my nose now I'm really not sure if this is going to be what I want, although it is hard to tell with swelling and the cast still on. Part of me thinks maybe it's better without altering the tip too much since I do still want to look like me and natural, as well as I know a too small nose would not match my facial features, but part of me is regretting perhaps not doing exactly what I wanted when I've waited for so long for this, gone through the pain and recovery (not to mention the money I'll be paying). I'm also a little worried because the surgeon said I'd have no external incisions, then when I woke up the nurse said I had stitches on both my nostrils, and when I got home it turns out I only have stitches on my right nostril.

I know from seeing other peoples posts its normal to question things and worry about the result before the cast comes off (which I'm getting off on Friday!) but I guess I just wanted to get some feedback and see what you guys thought. I know there's no way to tell the results at this point obviously, but I'm just so anxious about it! Sorry if this isn't very organized and hard to follow!

So, turns out today was the day to get my cast...

So, turns out today was the day to get my cast off, not tomorrow. This made me very happy! That cast was annoying when my nose would get itchy underneath, and I couldn't wait to actually be able to clean my hair properly. So my appointment was for 10 am this morning. I was super excited/nervous for the big reveal. Taking the cast off was uncomfortable and did hurt a little but for a second at one point, but overall not too bad. I had a couple little stitches that needed to come out as well, those weren't too bad coming out either really. Although I did take preemptive painkillers this morning just in case. Seeing my new nose for the first time was so surreal. Touching it down the bridge without feeling the bump there is even weirder. But I have to say, I am absolutely ecstatic with the results! As far as I can tell I don't even have that much swelling, at least not near as much as I was expecting. I have a little of my bruising left under my eyes, but my concealer easily covers it. My nose is still very tender to the touch, and hurts like hell if I scrunch my face by accident, moving the nose. Every time I pass a mirror or any reflective surface I'm checking out my nose haha it's so weird. So I'm definitely putting it down as worth it, because even if my nose stayed like it is now I would be totally happy with it because it's already such an improvement on what I had before. I'll post up some pics as well! However, I still have lots of crusty gunk stuck in my nose that the saline spray I've been using hasn't really helped to dislodge, and it's kind of uncomfortable. I've read using q-tips and hydrogen peroxide can help, which I've done but I don't really want to go much further than my nostril/immediate tip area. Any tips?

Would you mind telling me which surgeon in Halifax did your rhinoplasty? I also live in the province and am trying to decide who I should go to! Thanks
Your nose looks great!
Don't use the q-tips without checking with your surgeon first. I've heard it might cause problems.
I was really hoping that you could tell me who completed your surgery!
Oh how lovely your nose looks! Isn't it nice to be happy with how you look, wish I'd done this years ago but anyway at 53 its great to have a "new" look!
I had the same problem with the crusty gunk and found that by putting moisturising cream inside it last night with a Q tip Ive been able to remove it easily this morning.
I cant believe how soft my nose is where the bump was and I'm fascinated by how strange I look, its taking me a lot of discipline not to just stand in front of the mirror all day, bet you're the same! Hope you have a great day, just had a wonderful shower, proper hair & face wash and feel fabulous, know exactly how you feel which is why this site has been so great over the last few weeks. Real people you can identify with. :-)
You got it at 23, I got it done at 24 and 27, still didn't get the desired results

It might swell up a bit more after you get your cast off, so don't be alarmed if that happens. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you're truly thrilled with your results.

Thanks Angiemcc :) I actually don't seem to have too much swelling going on, well from what I can tell anyway. So I'm completely happy with the way its turned out already! :)
I get my cast off tomorrow and I know how you are feeling. My nose tip looks almost as big as it was before the surgery but Im going on how it looked immediately post op. It was TINY compared to pre op so I'm hanging on to that. I think there's a LOT of swelling which will go in time so guess weve just got to be patient. Ive also had eyelid surgery so I can see theres still a fair amount of swelling round my eyes and when you consider the amount of work done on my nose will be 4 x that on my eyelids I'm happy that what I'm seeing on my nose will get better.
Try not to worry too much I'm sure it will take time and good luck for Friday!
Yeah, my tip is actually bigger than it is normally, from the front view anyway. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the swelling for when the cast comes off so it's not too much of a shock. Patience is key, but that's so hard when you want to see your new nose now :) And actually, turns out I get my cast off tomorrow! I just mixed up the days I guess, so I am so excited to get this off a day earlier than expected! Looks like we're both getting our big reveal the same day:) I will post up some pics after I get home, and I'd love to see how yours turns out as well! Good luck!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I can definitely tell there is a decent amount of swelling since it's still a lot larger than it is normally at the tip. Unfortunately revision isn't even really something I can consider at this point as I'll be paying for this surgery for the next couple years! But I'm hoping that won't be necessary anyway. I think even just with the hump removed that will be a huge improvement for me and I'd be happy with that, so unless something goes wrong I think in the end it will have been worth it regardless! So I don't think I'll regret getting it done, moreso just not being more clear with myself and my surgeon what I wanted I suppose. I see your surgery is coming up next week! You must be getting pretty nervous and excited. I was so anxious for the weeks leading up to my surgery, and now the days leading up to the cast removal!
Hey girl! First off, congrats for going through with the procedure..you are so brave! Our stories are so similar..I'm 23 and have finally opened up to a few people and have seriously started looking for a surgeon. Any more tips? I'd love to see your new nose!
Thanks! It has definitely been a scary but exciting journey so far. I'm actually getting the cast off tomorrow so I will definitely post up some pics when I get home. I'm hoping it looks good enough that I can stop in at the mall to get some hats, My eyes are kind of sensitive so going that long without sunglasses is going to be hard! As for tips, I'd say just make sure you have a really clear and realistic idea of what you want, so that once you start doing your consultations you're more prepared. This site has lots of great information for what to do in the whole process, from searching for surgeons to your recovery afterwards. They have a really nice checklist on the forum as well for questions to ask your surgeon during the consult, which I wish I would have brought. Good luck :)
so far your nose looks great post-op! Keep in mind that your entire nose will have swelling in it (even if you only did bridge work) - so try and be patient and remember that only until a few months from now will you be able to make a clear decision on whether or not you should have revision rhinoplasty! :)

But honestly, it looks great! People just tend to become a bit stressed and anxious post-op, and are often unsatisfied with the outcome of the surgery - but it's all perfectly normal, you just need to give it time, time and more time for the healing process to be done, both mentally and physically before you can move to other options such as revision rhinoplasty :)

don't regret it!!