Tummy Tuck: StoriesWrite a Review
** PETITE MOM OF FOUR ** 6 months PO ** Revision scheduled for Nov 2013
- updated 1 month ago
- Worth It
- Cost: $9,600
- Northeast U.S.A
I am 42 yrs old, mom of 4 kids (ages 7 yr to 14...
- 1 Oct 2012
- 17 days pre
I am 42 yrs old, mom of 4 kids (ages 7 yr to 14 yrs). 5 ft 2 inches, 116 pounds. I exercise 6 days per week (tennis, jog, swim for 1 hour), yet cannot seem to lose stomach pooch and love handles. I want my stomach to match the rest of my somewhat athletic body. TT with MR (and maybe minor flank lipo) is scheduled for 10/19. Any advice would be appreciated.
After breast-feeding 4 kids ( I breast fed for 20...
- 2 Oct 2012
- 17 days pre
Honestly, I made the appt for the free consultation with the PS in early Sept to inquire about a mini-TT. In my mind, I was hoping that he would say that I didn't need any work done. Surprisingly, he said that I'm not a candidate for a mini-TT. I have too much redundant skin above the BB. He said that I would be happier with a standard TT with MR (and possibly some flank lipo). When he told me that, I thought in my head that this was way more risk than I wanted. I didn't think that I looked that bad!! I thought that I could live with my body. When I came home, I kept thinking about what he said. I took some pictures of myself in my bra and panties. I realized that I look much different in pictures than I do when I look in the mirror. I have a stomach pooch. I have a muffin top when I sit, and with clothes that pinch my waist. I have no waist at all, actually. I realized that I actually have a lot that could be improved. After a lot of thought, I placed my deposit on 9/17. Several days later, I discovered Real Self and have been reading other ladies' stories. I realized that we all have one thing in common: the dreaded stomach pooch. It wasn't just me that couldn't get rid of it with tons of exercise. It's nice to be in the company of other women who understand each other. There's so many women here who exercise just like me, but eventually resort to TT because it's the only way. I feel better knowing that. I don't want to think about my stomach for the rest of my life. I don't want to regret that I could have done something about it earlier in my life. If I'm going to do it, I want to have the rest of my life to enjoy it.
Does anybody have an opinion about whether I should get some minor flank lipo? Is it necessary for a good result? Are there anyone with my body shape that didn't have lipo and was satisfied ( or not satisfied) with their results? Even without flank lipo, is there a natural tendency for the waist and skin around the flank to tighten, just from the pulling and stretching of the abdominal skin during the TT and MR procedure? Does anybody know?
Just saw the PS and his nurse this morning. I...
- 3 Oct 2012
- 16 days pre
I have second thoughts about the TT/MR/Lipo. I...
- 4 Oct 2012
- 15 days pre
In 48 hours, I'll be on my way to the hospital for...
- 17 Oct 2012
- 2 days pre
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers...
- 20 Oct 2012
- 1 day post
POD #1. Activity: Walked hunched over today. ...
- 22 Oct 2012
- 3 days post
Pain: Not too bad. Only required 2 percocets and 4 Tylenol all day today.
POD #2. Activity: Felt much better after a good sleep overnight. Woke up, and could walk about 90-95% erect. Still, anything that required Abdominal muscles was tough, but better than day #1. Used a lot of my arms to help me get out of bed. I don't have a special recliner or hospital bed at home. Just my regular bed. Had several loose BM today (probably from dulcolax and prune juice yesterday), but that's okay. I don't feel constipated at all. Eating pumpkin flax seed cereal in the morning with Chia seeds (for increased fiber) has always been effective in regulating my bowels. Able to get up, do the dishes, clean the table, pick things up from bathroom, play the piano, clean the house a bit. I feel pretty decent today. Haven't really looked under the binder. Able to sleep on both sides, and on my back.
PAIN: Not too bad. Only needed 2 Tylenol all day today.
POD #3: Activity: Had a good night sleep. Walking about 95% erect. Getting easier to get in/out of bed, but still afraid to cough (hurt abdominal muscles). Doing all the activities as I did yesterday. Energy pretty good (stayed up to midnight to read last night). Had a normal BM this morning. I will continue to drink 1 glass prune juice per day, to make sure that I have a daily BM. I looked under the binder today. Looks pretty good so far. I knew that I wasn't going to look dramatically different right away, I'm content with what I see though . I'm just happy that the incision is low, not to wide, and NOT a happy face incision. I asked my PS to keep the incision horizontal which he did. I have some bruising of my flanks, but not too painful. All 4 kids went to school this morning. Husband has been great taking care of the kids, and taking care of me.
PAIN: I feel pretty good. I don't really think I need anything, but I went ahead and took Tylenol 500 mg anyways, since I'm only POD #3, and it probably will help me, especially if I walk a little more today.
Hope everyone is doing well with their healing.
Last Saturday, I came home from the hospital. I...
- 27 Oct 2012
- 8 days post
1. Day 2: was walking 95 % erect. I have been walking 95-100% erect since them. (A little more hunched over at the end of the day, because tummy is a little tighter).
2. Day 3: Took my last pain pill (Tylenol). Since my discharge from the hospital, I only needed 2 Percocets, and about 8 Tylenols, all together.
3. Day 3: My husband washed my hair for the first time. I sponged bath my body daily.
4. Day 4: Able to wash dishes, clean table, minor cooking, play the piano, make lunch for the kids, sweep the floors, fold laundry.
5. Day 2-3: Sleeping on my back and my side. Getting easier to get out of bed. Still afraid to cough or sneeze (feels like my stitches will burst apart).
5. Day 2: Had my first BM after surgery on day 2. I have had a daily BM since then. I think it helps to be regular before surgery (I normally eat Pumpkin Flax seed cereal with Chia seeds each morning. Following the surgery, I preventatively took 2 Dulcolax, along with prune juice on Day 1 and 2. I have not needed any dulcolax or prune juice since day 2. Throughout this recovery, I never had a day of constipation which seemed to be a problem for many women. I think having a daily BM is very important in the recovery).
6. Day 7: I had my drains removed and BB stiches taken out.
7. Day 7: I drove myself (35 min each way ) to the doctor's office, even with my drains still in place. Drains were out for the ride home.
8. Day 8: I plan to take my first real whole-body shower tonight.
9. Day 8: Got cleared for long walks yesterday when I saw my PS. I walked about 2.5 miles this morning, leisurely paced.
10. So far, no real SWELL HELL that other ladies describe. I eat a low salt diet, a lot of veggies. Trying to eat some protein for recovery.
11. On day 1 and day 2, my energy level was about 70%. Since day 3, my energy level has been about 90 -100%. I feel like I could go back to work today if I had to (I'm in the health field and see patients all day. There is some sitting down on the job, but I also move around a lot to examine patients). I will not go back to work until day 14, so still have a week to rest at home. I've been waking up at 7:45 am each morning to get the kids ready for school. I usually don't take a nap during the day, although I rest in bed (horizontal), reading my novels. I have been sleeping about 11 pm to midnight each night.
12. Mentally, I feel really positive and happy. I knew not to have too much expectations with my body in the first few weeks, because it will take time to see the results due to the swelling. That's why I wasn't really interested in looking under the binder until day 3. The only thing that I was concerned about was the location of the incision. I requested: 1) Low incision, 2) Not too wide, and 3) not a happy face incision. The PS knew what I wanted and gave me exactly that.
13. For those who are curious about my weight: On the morning that I left for surgery, I was 115.4 pounds. Today I was 114.4 pounds. I know the numbers don't matter, but just thought I 'd throw it out there in case someone was wondering how much flesh was taken away, and how much fluid was pumped into during surgery.
14. Is it worth it?? YES, it is. I'm really happy that I did this. I'm listening to my PS's advice and not pushing myself. I hope the rest of my recovery will be smooth. I like what I see so far with my body. I celebrated my birthday this past week, so the surgery is a gift to myself. In addition, I think all moms deserve to get their body back.
15. The excuse to the kids: My 4 kids (ages 7 yrs to 14 yrs) have no clue what happened to me. They think that this past week, I've been walking a little stiff because I hurt my back. They never saw the drains. Now that the drains are out, and I'm wearing normal clothes again, they think that my "back" is all better!!! They think, "mom's back in business!!"
For those who haven't had the surgery and was wondering what to expect, just wanted to let you know how things went with me. I know everyone is different, this is just my experience. Remember, you won't be caught unawares if you PRAY for the best, but to EXPECT the worse.
I included some pictures from this morning (Post Op day 8: TT/Muscle Repair/Minor Flank Lipo)
Take care. All the best to everyone.
I'm PO day #10 today. I had my drains removed 3...
- 29 Oct 2012
- 10 days post
I have a question for you all: A lot of the ladies have talked about a SEROMA developing? How do you know you have a seroma? What are the symptoms of a seroma?
I'll post some new pictures in a few days of my body and scar. Take care.
I am PO day 21 (exactly 3 weeks). It was...
- 10 Nov 2012
- 22 days post
Today is PO day 28. I can't believe 4 weeks have...
- 17 Nov 2012
- 29 days post
I do see a difference with my body between week 3 and week 4, so I it's important to be patient with the final results. I think I had reasonable expectations going into the TT. If I have no additional improvements from this point on, I feel VERY PLEASED and VERY BLESSED with my TT experience and recovery.
I NEVER HAD SWELL HELL. I don't know why. I was expecting it but it never happened. I feel very fortunate for this. These are the reasons I attribute to not having Swell Hell:
1. I feel the most important reason why I had less swelling issues is that I had less done during the TT (less skin resected, less lipo); therefore, I likely had less trauma and less inflamation.
2. Walking and being active as soon as I was able to after the TT also helps . I think it helps to get back in the swing of things, and not be sedentary.
3. I look at the Sodium content of all the foods that I eat. If it's greater than 5-7%, I don't eat it. If I do eat it, it's just a small taste.
4. I wear my compression garment WITH the white binder (from the hospital) on the outside to keep my tummy areas snug. On days that I work, I just wear the CG. On days that I'm home, I wear both the CG and binder. I think that helps to keep the swelling down.
My husband and kids have been great. Thus far, my kids, and the rest of my family have no clue that I had a TT.
Please excuse all the lingerie pictures on PO day 28. I just bought some new lingerie and just had to take a pictures of myself. My whole life, I never felt sexy enough to wear matching bras and panties, the ones the Victoria Secret models wore. I just bought whatever was on sale. I don't even have a bikini. I've always been too shy to wear one. I've hidden myself all these years, and now I'm finally letting loose.
I hope everyone is healing well and enjoying their new bodies.
Today I am exactly 1 month PO!!! I was at a...
- 19 Nov 2012
- 1 month post
I am now PO week 8. I can't believe how quickly...
- 15 Dec 2012
- 2 months post
PO WEEK 8: For those of you who are trying to...
- 16 Dec 2012
- 2 months post
I am now PO 3 months. I feel that I reached my...
- 21 Jan 2013
- 3 months post
My scar is pretty much the same as everyone else. I rub with Bio-Oil for about 5 -10 minutes at night. So far, I've been really pleased with my experience. For sure, I am back to 100% in every way. I hope everyone is doing well.
April 19. I can't believe today is exactly 6...
- 18 Apr 2013
- 6 months post
Hope everyone is doing well.