24, Female - Sydney, Australia

I got my first aligners and attachments in...

I got my first aligners and attachments in yesterday. I have (from what I can count) 19 attachments which seems a lot more than most other reviewers have had added it seems. I have always had horribly crooked teeth and decided to do something about it.

Coming home with them on last night, I felt really disappointed. I was prepared for a lisp, and some pain or discomfort but I thought they'd be a lot less noticeable. In the last 24 hours I've had a few feelings of "do I even need these?" and "maybe I should have just left them alone/gotten metal braces/pulled all my teeth out and eaten soup for the rest of my life" type thoughts. I know eventually I will feel better about them and they will become 'normal' but right now I am not used to them.

Attached are some photos. I didn't take any before I had my attachments put on but you still get the gist. Heading interstate for the next few days so that will give me a little time to get used to them before I have to return to work.

One of my teeth clashes with an attachment on the bottom so I can't really chew right now. Soup and smoothies for the next few weeks I guess. That Invisalign diet!

Looking forward to straighter teeth. I have faith that Invisalign will work, I've done so much research and reading so I know eventually it will be worth it. Mum keeps reminding me "no pain, no gain" and she's right but it will just take some time to get used to. I realise I must sound quite negative right now but I am really excited about the outcomes, promise!

Second trays

Just popped my second trays in, definite tightness but it's not unbearable. I am a little concerned because the top tray doesn't seem to be fitting on my molars on the right side. It's not flush against the teeth and almost feels as if it's popping off. I might call my Dr tomorrow to see what he says.

The first few days weren't great but it got easier quite quickly. Ortho wax is my new all time favourite thing. I went away for a few days to Melbourne and it was such an ordeal to get my trays out those first few days that I mainly only ate in the hotel room. Lucky I've got a great partner and he didn't mind taking all our food to go.

Bed soon and hoping the looseness on my molars fixes itself soon. I am strapped for time this week and don't think I will have time to head to my Dr at all.

Like others have said, the teeth brushing and flossing can be arduous at times but it's not really a big deal. When I cook, I can't taste the food as I go so apologies to my family that they have been getting undercooked and over-seasoned meals the last few days. I haven't been able to eat lettuce at all which is bugging me, my teeth don't align when I bite so it is difficult to eat finer veggies like lettuce. Thank goodness for green smoothies!

Fourth Trays

Just popped my fourth trays in my mouth. Only another 32 to go haha! They are tight yes but really not bad right now. No pain, just not as familiar as my last trays began to feel at the end of their two week cycle.

Had my first appointment booked in with my doc yesterday but he was ill and couldn't make it to the office. I've got work all week so couldn't make it any other day and I am too eager to keep moving ahead so I didn't want to wait for my new trays. I headed in anyway and picked them up from his lovely, wonderful receptionist/hygienist.

We've been in contact via email today so I'll see if he needs me to come in soon. I haven't had any real dramas except for
- clenching when I sleep.
- my midline is shifting and becoming a little more misaligned.

Small issues so I'm not too worried. TwoPlusOne said she used to clench as well, anyone else have this problem? I am just trying to be really conscious of it and remind myself to stop.

Attached is a picture of my teeth in their fourth trays. Really not a glamorous picture.. Looking forward to straight white teeth!
Sydney Cosmetic Dentist

Friendly, positive, great. Really happy I saw an advertisement for his practice. He isn't located anywhere near where I live but I am happy to travel to where he is.

Hoping things have been going better!  We just got another Aussie so I'm checking up on you guys :D.  Have you found the chewies to have started helping?  Do you still bother with them?  Wondering because I never used them but have heard great things!
Hi! I only use them the first few days of a new tray, they help the trays fit properly. I usually just bite down on them and you hear/feel the tray pop into place. Have my 6 week check up in a few days.. My only concern is that I've found with tray 2 (especially) and tray 3, I've been clenching my jaw when I sleep and I'm a little sore in the morning.. Wondering if you've read anything about that and perhaps any suggestions on why/how to stop. When I'm awake I try and be as conscious of it as possible and make sure not to do it! I'll check out the new Aussie now ;)
I did that :(.  And I still do it with my retainers, actually. :(:(:(  It's a terrible habit to get into, although my doctor said it helps the treatment go faster, so that's the only positive.  I found exactly nothing to combat it at night.  It's like my jaw is so used to its resting state without the aligners, that it just wants to go there, and keeps trying even with the aligners in.  I've looked through the doctors' answers here on RealSelf several times and they say there is nothing really to be done.  Relaxation exercises and the like.  It can leave you with a bit of an open bite, but that can also resolve itself when you are no longer in aligners 22 hours/day.  Anyway, it's very common, the clenching, so you're certainly not alone!
Green smoothies saved my life during the rough times!  I even drank them with my aligners in when I was truly desperate (it discolored the trays, I'd definitely never recommend it.)

It's not unusual for the trays to not quite fit in the beginning.  Do you have access to chewies?

They are very helpful in getting your aligners to seat properly without clenching your jaw (which also works, but is a terrible habit to pick up.)
Yes I've got some green ones, they're so helpful. But they don't seem to help the back right. I can only feel it when I clench or bite down so it's not too annoying. Just took my trays out for breakfast and the pain on the bottom teeth is horrid. That's where a lot of work needs doing so I guess these trays are targeting the front bottom teeth but wow, ouch! I'm more upset that I just made myself egg and avocado on toast and now I can't eat it haha
LOL!  Live and learn ;).  But the chewies sometimes take a couple of days to work.  Keep at it!
Glad to hear the second tray wasn't too bad! How many trays will you need?
26 on top and 36 on the bottom.. So still have a looooooong way to go. It's been around 6 hours since putting them in and no pain! One of my molars is maybe a little bit tender but nothing like the first tray (thank god)
Congratulations, and welcome to our Invisalign community!!!  We have quite a few other Aussies here, and nearly all of them have AcceleDent. Are you looking into that at all?  Most of our Invisaligners from the rest of the world do not, but for some reason, it's very popular among our Aussies.

I'll give you some reviews to peruse at your leisure, some other Aussies and some others who have issues with crowding :).  Feel free to say hi!

You will definitely get used to the treatment, and the discomfort will lesson over the first 3 days or so.  It's also always worse when they put the attachments in right away.  But everyone feels better after a few days! :)

So first, crowding:
HenryZ (had to have a tooth pulled, he's nearly done)
Mil ou's crowding is mainly on the bottom and it's pretty moderate, but there is an overlap tooth.
humbleoracle has pretty severe overcrowding in the bottom jaw
Dante555 has severe overcrowding on the bottom but nearly none on the top
Sunluvva's crowding is pretty severe (and he's an Aussie)
and finally, both AreYouKiddingMe and Cazzieboo have very severe overcrowding.

mlb502, one of our RealFriends, started with pretty crowded teeth as well, but she's nearly done after a long time.
jbranchfield, Yangche, and Ewag2014 are our newest community members before you, I think, with significant crowding.

Then Aussies not mentioned above:
brosegr, Nadinelliana, CJ13, SophieD, Astrodog21, littleoz, Crooky24, smilemelb, Dante555 and Malnic

I look forward to following your progress!
Wow you're good remembering where everyone is from and what their mouth issue was. Too clever! I have noticed most of the other Aussies have Acceledent but it hasn't been mentioned to me by my Dr and honestly I don't really have the extra money for that! I'm getting used to having the trays in my mouth, they're a little difficult to take out but nothing like the first now. However, they're still so painful to put back in. I avoid it at all costs and have hardly eaten in the last few days! I hope that pain is a normal pain. I'll check out all those reviews now :)
You're working on real crowding, so I would expect the pain to be more severe than for some.  But it's kind of unpredictable.  Everything will get better with time…though there will also likely be a couple of trays here and there that just feel relatively unbearable, once all the others are no big deal :).
Hi Shannon, you've got a little way to go getting used to the trays. DON'T give into the temptation to rub your tongue along the edges, it'll eventually cut and leave a stinging spot that lasts for days. Also keep some braces wax handy for the first few months to put on any rough edges so you don't get ulcers on your cheeks (if your dentist didn't give you any, you can buy some at the chemist very cheaply). I would get nasty rubbing from the top set where the little hooks are above the eye teeth. The initial annoyance phase passes and after about 9 weeks they'll be second nature and with luck you won't need the wax any more - I only used it for the first three tray with aligner dots. Good luck!
Also the pain early on is a normal thing. You notice it more early on in the piece. At 3 months I feel the new pressure and maybe get a little soreness (not really painful) for the first two days of a new tray, then its not noticeable.