Fraxel CO2 - Painful but Seeing Results Already - North Miami

I am 34 years of age and I had the Fraxel CO2...

I am 34 years of age and I had the Fraxel CO2 treatment done 6 days ago. I will try to explain as best I can the procedure and the 5 days of recovery I have so far marked off my calendar!

Day 1: Fraxel treatment, I had my entire face done to even out my skin tone (I have melasma). The doctor applies a numbing cream to help with the pain... Guess what? it still HURT A LOT. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say a 9. It is especially painful around the mouth area and the hairline. I would definitely advise taking a painkiller of sorts prior to treatment. Your face feels like it's on fire after the treatment.

My doctor had a hand-held fan ready for me after treatment. EXTREMELY USEFUL, I recommend you have one with you when you go.

Day 2: Skin extremely red (raw) and dry with some brown areas which I attribute to charred skin, very painful. Hurts to wash your face and apply ointments (neosporin, vaseline creams to keep face moist)

Day: 3: Red skin has now turned brown - thin scabbing (previously red and raw areas have dried and is now brown thin scab). Skin feels extremely dry even though I keep moisturizing it. Skin feels very tight indicating peeling will occur soon.

Throughout the day I go to work (looking like Freddy Krueger), by the time I get home around 6pm I am already starting to peel. My face is extremely itchy and I keep applying neosporin, wiping it off due to itchiness and find that each time I do, dead skin covers the tissue I am using to wipe off my face. Thus I repeat this cycle of lubing and wiping until my face is scab-free. Mind you, I am not forcing it. It is coming off with ease. I guess all that lubing up for three days paid off! I am, however, raw and sore, afterwords.

Day 4: Dang! I break out in a cold sore. Guess I didn't start my Valtrex soon enough. I took it the day of treatment. Should have doubled the dose and taken it before. lol. Compared to my last 3 days, I will certainly survive this, just be careful not to mess with it, I don't want it to spread. My skin now looks like a bad sunburn. No more brown charring or scabs. I have grown a "new skin" and a new round of peeling has already begun. This one is a normal peel. White peel, not scabs, flaking off. Hardly noticable.

Day 5:  Today!: Wake up and I am not as red. Except for a few red blotches here and there and the general appearance of a mild sunburn, my skin looks great. These blotches will dissipate in a few days I'm sure. I go to work and my co-workers notice how the healing is progressing fairly fast. My skin has a much smoother appearance and my cold sore is already on the mend. My friend looks for my old melasma spots and can't detect any. I am still a little red, so an official diagnosis cannot be made yet.

In conclusion, though a painful process to go through, I see a difference in my skin tone (more even) and my general appearance as a whole. My face is much smoother already, fresher/youthful looking. This procedure is not for the weak! lol. It's painful, but worth the results. I still have some healing to do but am seeing great improvement, as already mentioned, already. If I had to do it differently, I would have taken a painkiller prior to treatment, cold sore medicine for two days before treatment, and planned on being out of work for 3 days after treatment.

Taking Valtrex: I started Valtrex the day before the procedure. AND my dermatologist requires the REAL Valtrex, not the generic, does not work the same.

Being out in the sun: From here on out, you need to apply 30 spf forever, keep it in your purse.
Thanks for the great detail and day by day progress! Very informative and the daily progress is honest and forthcoming.

Pictures would be awesome!
Hi - Thanks for the detailed accounting! It's really helped me make us my mind. Since you live in FL, do you have any problems with being in the sun since the procedure?

Sandy