Long over Due Review with Silikon 1000 - West Orange, NJ

After reading so many rave reviews about Dr Joseph...

After reading so many rave reviews about Dr Joseph from this board- I decided to go ahead and get Silikon 1000. I have deep indentation scarring from a terrible experience with an at home TCA peel. My face exploded with cystic acne that left both sides of my chin badly scarred. Also wanted to fill in my under eye hollows 'tear troughs' nasal folds and corners of my mouth. So, Off I went to NJ.

I posted my original review October of last year a month after my appointment but was asked by Dr Joseph himself - he called me pleading and I quote 'If you can find it in your heart to remove the post" Against my better judgement, I went ahead per his instructions to have the review removed, something I deeply regret bc I feel I was manipulated and treated poorly. I've since decided to repost because I feel I'm doing everyone who is interested in getting this procedure/service a huge disservice by not sharing my HONEST experience Onto my trip.

From the moment I walked in I have to say Dr.Joseph's staff was so wonderful I had cancelled and rescheduled several times due to work, his receptionist was so kind and understanding. I finally set my appt for Sept without a hitch. Apon meeting Dr Joseph I found him very pleasant and humorous, any nerves and anxiety I had dissipated. Clearly, he loved his job so I instantly felt at ease. I then discussed the areas I wanted to have injected, much to my surprise he told me the indentations on my chin were nothing more than Dimples that they were not scars,further more he said he couldn't see what I was talking about that the so called "dimples" were a figment of my imagination, it wasn't until I mentioned that my regular PS would fill them in for me, but I no longer wanted temp fillers but something permanent, that's when he decided to go ahead and fill them in. Let me tell you, it was a struggle just to get him to fill in the areas I wanted. I KNEW full and well with Silikon it would take time for the filler to build, I didn't have an issue with that..I had planned to continue coming back so long as the results were permanent.

Fast forward, he did not fill in my tear troughs, instead he filled the area beneath- saying the eyes would be instant and I would not need to come back to have them filled a 2nd time.. When he finished, handed me the mirror I felt my heart sank, I wasn't very happy..I reluctantly stayed quiet when I shouldn't have..I just didn't want to continue having to argue or put up a fuss when I SHOULD HAVE- So much so, I sat there for a good 5 minutes contemplating whether or not I should speak up..when Dr Joseph noticed I wasn't leaving he then said "You can go now" He didn't bother to follow up or ask me if I was happy if I had any concerns or questions.

I went home hoping for the best.. After the initial swelling went down, there was no difference in my face whatsoever..He did however, shave off a raised scar at no charge after emphatically saying repeatedly there was absolutely Nothing he could do about the indentations on my chin..I thought to myself if my regular PS can fill it in with temp filler why couldn't he fill it with silikon?

Afterwards, I never heard from Dr J, not a follow up, phone call, email..Nothing. I wrote to him after I arrived home from NJ never received a response. I continued hoping for the best thinking maybe it takes a little bit of time..After a month I decided to post a review.

My initial review wasn't intended to blast or discredit Dr J in any way nor was the review malicious, rude or mean..I wanted to talk about my experience with Silikon how disappointed I was. Low and behold, I had several missed calls & vm's the very next day from Dr J- As I went to check my vms Dr J called me, pleading with me to please remove the review that he would like to see me again and try to rectify the situation even offering me a discount. I told him I would think about the offer, I had juvaderm injections then wanted to wait for it to wear off before doing the Silikon again. I felt so GUILTY for posting the original review I profusely apologized also letting him know that I had no ill intentions towards him.

Months passed by the juvie was wearing off, I was up late one night decided to get on RS to read all the reviews from those who have had Silikon not just with Dr Joseph but from any and all doctors as there aren't many offering it. I read so many GREAT reviews posted after my experience with Dr J, I thought perhaps I was wrong bc how can all these ppl have such GREAT and FANTASTIC results in just one sitting?? Perhaps it's me? I also responded to a few of Dr J's patients, stating how Happy I was they had such wonderful results that I had wish mine would've been the same,that I should give him another fair try.

I called Dr J to schedule another appt...He got on the phone to basically call me out my posts, stating that I wasn't "geographically desirable" that he does not like to treat patients that aren't local and that he does not treat Asians bc asian skin does not respond to injections the way caucasions do. I kept insisting that I wanted to come back to see him, I felt as thought it was Deja Vu all over again, he kept dodging me, giving me the run around, refusing to allow me to come back to see him. He added the generic if I went to another PS an wasn't happy I would be more than welcome to come back and see him,again when I tried to hold him to that, he then gave me the same speech and run around..

I wanted to also include that despite being in my late 30's I'm not that wrinkled, just minor folds, again my chin was my main concern and a little bit with the tear troughs nothing major..I don't look my age, I do look a bit younger. The majority of the reviews with Dr J were women who older with deeper folds and issues than I..Yet, they had AMAZING results.

I'm almost positive once I post this review I will be contacted by Dr J again..Only this time, I will not be manipulated or intimidated and taken advantaged of, this post will stay up. Like so many, I rely heavily on this site when it comes to all things regarding plastic surgery and fillers. I've learned so much from this site and the ppl here.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi H1971. Have you had Silikon 1000 injection by other PS ?? and hows your Silikon 1000 now ?? any changes ??
wow im so sorry you gad such a bad experience. I have had a wonderful one. at his office everyone was sweet and he even filled in a gruesome scar for free on my forehead when i was there for lip filler. feel bad sorry!!
Doctors out there: please listen. I am merely a patient commenting on my opinion. Some of us have only the online reviews to go upon, if we don't know your other patients firsthand. We aren't idiots and we know how impossible it is to have ALL good reviews as no one is perfect! If a doctor gets bad reviews that outnumber the good, I hesitate to go see them. But just a few bad reviews are OKAY. I would be more likely to trust a doctor who does not try to "trick" possible clients by getting rid of bad reviews. I don't mind a few bad reviews as no one is perfect. But if you are showing utter lack of trust or confidence in yourself by silencing the truth, then we as your clients will follow suit. I would prefer a few bad reviews among some good ones to NO bad reviews -- as this indicates something nefarious and untrustworthy. I have found that even the alleged "best" doctors who wish to appear without fault, have some bad reviews that can be uncovered with a little digging. You know what happens then? I lose ALL faith -- even if they were worth going to, when people go to such lengths to hide the truth, I become all the more suspicious. Ya dig?
The practice seems really unethical. I feel like they just pad their ratings and try to silence people with honest negative reviews. I am not a patient of his not am I interested in Silikon 1000.. Was just curious and looking around on realself and noticed a peculiar pattern emerge when people post negative reviews about him. Hope he gets found out and good luck to you and your situation.
I agree with mainer 84, 100000%, it seems as though you have alot of unrealistic expectations and you would find fault with any doctor, any result. just my opinion!
Just seeing your response now. I find your comment a bit strange. "Unrealistic expectations"? A few injections to level out indentations on my chin from cystic acne isn't anything remotely over the top nor unrealistic especially since I had it done with other fillers for YEARS but wanted something permanent. Your comment is 10000000 % ridiculous if not hilarious
I had a consult with Dr. Joseph a long time ago, but I ultimately chose a different doctor (in Washington, DC) to perform my rhinoplasty last year. I looked him up today out of curiosity and read your post. So, I honestly have no bias here. Reading your various reviews and comments, it seems like you have very high expectations regarding possible treatments, and that you've been very unhappy with not being able to fix certain parts of your appearance. I don't think your doctors are manipulative, dishonest, or rude -- honestly, I think maybe they were trying to "dodge" you because they could sense that you were not going to be happy with their treatments. I work as a healthcare consultant, and one thing I hear over and over is that doctors are advised to avoid or reject patients who they don't think will be satisfied. Thus, I suspect that maybe they were trying to avoid that outcome (of you being even more unhappy with them). Honestly, I think it's human nature + pure business savvy -- of course they're going to be happier with patients who are already pretty happy with themselves (and thus easier to please). No doctor wants an unhappy patient + possible lawsuit, after all. Just my $.02. I do hope you are able to find adequate treatment in the future.
Thanks for the words of support re the glycolic - you were right. It looked scary (mostly bc I didn;'t expect ANYTHING from such a light peel) and I had these hollows and dented in looking pores, but it went away. To be honest, I don't see that much difference, maybe a TEENY bit brighter. Yeah. I still have that TCA peel I ordered, sitting up on the bathroom shelf. DYING to try it....maybe on just a birthmark on my arm or something!!! And yes -- I saw an ad on or near a doc's site that was for sweeping out bad reviews. I don't know how legit it was, but still....also it was interesting to read about all these lasers and other procedures from the professional's backroom. They all said ulthera was BS, that it only worked on like thirty percent of the patienbts, and it was a very particular kiind of face - I think they said a wider, less thin face, so I guess that rules me out.; They were all telling one another, don';t bother buying this machine unless you have millions of dollars to waste and so do your patients! I couldn't believe it....check some of these sites out. It's also funny bc some of the doctors fight and get all upset more than we do on this site! I cannot remember the name....hmm...well look around and you'll find plenty to check out re the info we aren't supposed to hear!
Hello ladies! So sorry to hear about your TCA peel, Holly. Even with a qualified Doctor, you can still get messed up with a TCA peel. I just had one two weeks ago. I have been doing milder peels through various docs for the last eight years and stop getting good results so I started the TCA peels several months ago since I started getting cystic acne from menopause! I started out at 20%. I only had two. This was my third one but it was 30%. I went to my dermatologist. She talked me into the 30% because she went to a conference and heard that collagen production will be stimulated around 30%. Well....I peeled really UNEVEN! The whole middle of my face, didn't peel at all, and the rest of the face did not peel the way it was supposed to. I looked like a clown! The whole middle of my face was white and the rest turned brown and crusty. It took about a week to 10 days for it to all come off. My skin looked really good for about two days! Now I look like I have the Tyndall effect or hemosiderin around my eyes where I had juvederm injected over a month ago. I went back to my PS who did the injections and told him what happened with the peel and asked if I am having the above effects since I have a lot of darkness now around my eyes. My dark circles have gotten a lot worse too. My PS is actually an ETO doc that is double certified in facial plastic surgery. He told me he believed it was still healing since I burised so much from the injections. I hope he is right. I also wanted him to look at a dent in my face around my right eye. I think I need a correction with more filler in that spot. He told me the darkness would go away, it was not the tyndall effect but could be hemosiderin. He told me to come back in a month and he would fill in the dent and see if my circles, etc. got any lighter. There is nothing you can do about these different effecst but give it time to go away! I'm not into doing any kind of lasers on my skin from all the different horror stories I have heard on this site, also! Sigh...oh well...that is the chance I took knowing this could be a possibility with the fillers. Holly, I have been thinking about getting a lower face life also, so I don't have to deal with this adverse crap you can get from the fillers. I am only doing fillers until I can save enough money to do surgery. But then I hear from some docs that lower face lifts don't last more then a couple of years.

Nadia, try not to be too upset about your gylcolic peel. Your skin will recover. I know everyone is different, but gylcolic is a milder peel and it just may take a few weeks for your skin to get back to normal or better.

These docs really aggravate me sometimes with their comments, etc. They get angry because we are doing our homework! We all have to be careful with these PS docs. Can any MD go for certification to be a PS? This is what bothers me. Plastic Surgery has really grown in the last several years, to the point that the average woman can now get work done. There is so much competition with these doctors so it is really hard to find someone good. It seems these PS doctors are now a dime a dozen!

Please tell me your joking, Nadia?!? That's Unethical!! I agree, we just have to be very careful and wary....

I think I saw an ad for something that scans and erases bad reviews on a doctors site -- so I have been somewhat suspicious ever since. But that SUCKS because this is supposed to be a trustworthy site, as are others....I suppose just BE WARY or even more wary than usual when looking at reviews.

Some PR companies do offer "online reputation monitoring", which can include getting negative content removed from websites.

RealSelf doesn't kowtow to this, though; we don't remove reviews by request (from doctors or otherwise) and we only remove reviews that violate our Terms of Service (spam, threats, etc). Our "Worth It" ratings work because they include both positive and negative experiences.

I hope this info is helpful.

This is completely FALSE. My original negative review was removed by someone at REALSELF- I was given the direct contact # by Dr Joseph himself URGING I call in to have the review REMOVED
We only remove posts that violate our Terms of Service. I don't see any unpublished content on your account. Can you please PM me a bit more information so I can look into this further?

Thanks,
--Sharon
Hi Ladies,
I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to respond.
My quest to find the right Dr has been filled with lots of confusion, twists and turns, add real life issues such as working a hectic schedule to the mix.

KTA- Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I, too, have developed hollowness in the tear trough, after spending, read Wasting, so much money on fillers, Silikon
I don't know if illness affects work although it seems to make sense. Docs are supposed to not work when they are too ill....another reason he might not have been good at fillers is that while a doc can be wonderful at one thing, say surgical lifts, it doesn't mean at all that he "fills" well. I have heard that a LOT from people who assumed their doc, who did breast implants or something perfectly well, did everything well.
Sometimes I wonder if these docs or their staff are writing these wonderful reviews just to get more people in for their services. I went to a PS several years ago and got my lower lids done. He did a really good job but left a few "bags" under one eye. About 6 years later, I went back to the same PS for fillers since I developed a lot of hollowness under my eyes and he really botched me up! I had to go to another PS to get the stuff dissolved because the first PS wouldn't do it. Said he didn't carry the Hyaluronidase. Later I find out that my first PS was very ill and dying but he continued to practice. Is that why he botched me up so bad??? If I had known he was very ill, I would have never gone back to him. I'm not saying sick people shouldn't work, but I would have decided not to go back to him knowing that he may not be working up to par anymore. I don't think I want someone who is not feeling well working on my face. But then again, there is no way I could have known he was sick because that is something that would NOT be disclosed.
Wow KTA!! I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal!! Like you, I've developed deep hollowing of the eyes.. I cannot believe your PS continued practicing knowing he was terminally and not able to perform adequately. Clearly, the $ was simply too good to pass up, even at the risk and expense of patients being botched and sustaining permanent damage due to their Greed. I hope your next session will be with a ethical talented, HEALTHY Dr. !!
KTA- I've had the very same thoughts..After reading a lot reviews here, some seem highly suspect. That practice should never be permitted, I wish there was a way for admins of this site to keep an eye out for that sort of thing because God forbid, someone like you and I read a RAVE review convinced we've found the Holy Grail of PS's only to end up botched and disfigured!!
I'm sorry about what happened to you but I can assure you I am a fully paid happy customer of Dr. J. He gave me a perfect re-shaped nose and the filler Silikon worked wonderfully to bring it to the right shape. I believe and trust in many of these reviews because I am an actual satisfied customer. You can click on my review if you'd like. It really bothers me that someone as generous, affordable and flexible as Dr. J would receive this kind of feedback. Of course no one is perfect and nothing is perfect. No plastic surgeon is God also so you can't expect these products to 100 percent cure every little detail. I recommend Dr. J over any doctor out there and that's not changing.
Hi kyleewilson, glad you had such great results. I do think, however, it is important that everyone gets to air their results. I felt really bad for the above reviewer because she does not seem at all the type to complain, and so often we women don't complain enough to doctors who don't have time to run through every possible thing that can go wrong. I know that I have always been scared to contest any professional -- but it is IMPORTANT to have real reviews, both good and bad, and I am glad for one that we can see all the sides. In fact I am quite curious as to what you think of the fact that the doctor attempted to get a negative post taken down....rather than trying to help a dissatisfied patient.
Hi there, I understand what you are going through, somehow I feel better that I am not the only one that are having bad experience with "great rated" doctors... it is sooooo hard to find some practicioner who cares, I know it is a business for doctors (small one if we are talking about fillers), but I don't understand why they do it... they DON'T listen...
Mrnae1999: It's disheartening to say the least. We put our trust and faith into these reviews on the belief they're honest and forth right. I'm not going to post a raving review just to inflate the ego of a egotistical PS. Which is why I regretted deleting my original post .

I can't for the life of me understand WHY these Dr's REFUSE to listen to our needs..It's OUR hard earned money dished out, some act is if you're an annoyance and a waste of their precious time.

As with any business, there's always going to be the Used car salesmen types that will con you into any getting things done you don't need and those who are incompetent just out to make a buck. I wish the Medical Board Association would regulate these doctors just to ensure they are in fact operating ethical businesses/practices. At the very least, this would keep the PS on their toes to ensure quality service/work.
HollyDC1971, did you ever go to that doc, what was his name and how did it work out? I am so curious! I want help for various things to....and which home TCA peel was it because I JUST ordered one and am kinda scared to try it out still.n Thanks -- nadiahoney
Hi Nadia,
I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to respond. Please, whatever you do, do not do your own TCA peel! I thinned my skin out under my eyes and the sides of my jaw pretty bad. I now have deep hollowing that no filler seems to hold for very long. The site I purchased the TCA peel was Makeupartistschoce.com. I DESTROYED my skin the process, damage I will have to spend a ton of $$$ to correct, even then, my skin will never be the same.

I've given up on going the filler route in the face, instead, I'm looking into getting a lower face lift. *sighs* I've heard great things about the Slupt Lift performed by a Dr in NY, from what I hear, he's also very talented in Silikon 1000 as well, so I may just give the filler in my tear troughs another go.