My First Consultation with a PS - New Jersey, NJ

I have been thinking on removal since the day...

I have been thinking on removal since the day after my implant surgery. The day after my surgery I woke up with the worst pain I had ever felt and thinking what a huge mistake I had made. The fear of surgery, the fear of pain and the expense kept me from taking these things out of my body all this time, but I knew that one day I would put my 'big girl panties' on and I would have them removed.

My hand was forced a couple of weeks ago. While taking a shower, I noticed that on my right breast I was back to a size 32A, what I was before my implant surgery. I felt happy, sad, and scared all at the same time. I have to admit, I liked the way I filled my dresses, blouses and swimsuits. there were times when I was very proud of my breasts. The job that the ps had done on me was beyond my expectations. I looked great, felt sexy and very womanly. The problem was that I knew one day they would need to be replaced or removed (that meant surgery), they were a problem to sleep with and they interfered with my mammograms and I have never been able to go bra-less, just a t-shirt in public again. I won't have the implants replaced, I feel that I'm done with that part of my life and I'm ready to go forward with out them.

So now I have an appointment with a local ps who turned out to be sort of a celebrity in my town. I want to listen to his methods and plans. Then I have another appointment to see another ps, I'll listen to him as well. I want to see at least 3 different ps and then make my decision, since after reading around this site I've discovered that plastic surgeons have and/or prefer different ways at performing these surgeries. My goal is to find the one that can do the job, do it well, doesn't charge more than he needs to and makes me happy, bottom line.

So, I'll keep you posted, as soon as I know more, I'll say more. So far, I'm just praying that who ever I choose does a good job because I'm no picnic. If I'm not happy, I will allow NO ONE to be happy LOL :O)

I visited with two surgeons and I'm very hesitant....

I visited with two surgeons and I'm very hesitant. The ps who did my implants 19 years ago said he doesn't do removals only replacements. I was happy with his honesty, didn't expect less from him. Okay, my fault, I should have asked that question on the phone.

Second ps shocked me! Since the incision for my implants are in my armpits. The ps said, "I think maybe we can remove the capsule through the same incision." In my state of shock I made something like a choking sound, which embarrassed me, and I asked, "You THINK, MAYBE???"

At the end he corrected himself and said he was sure he could remove the capsule through the same incision under my arm, BUT if he had any problems, he would go in through the nipple. This is a director of surgery, mind you. I don't know what to think.

I have an appointment next week with another ps and things may have not started well already. I was told that a woman would call me shortly to talk financing with me. She took a while to call, but I figure it was okay. After all, I'm sure it doesn't matter much what she has to say, funding will still come out of MY pocket.

This woman did not talk funding with me at all, though. All she wanted to talk about was how I may not be happy with my 'sagging' breasts. She kept on repeating that I may look worse than I do now, my right breast may sag even more! Like somehow, removing my left implant will affect my right breast, "sag it, ripple it and stretch it even more than it is now" according to her. WTH??? How would she know what I look like?

I hit the roof. But I kept my cool (a little bit ;O) I explained to her that I've been living with the result of deflation on my left for over a month and I know what it looks like and it's not so bad that I should be freaking out. I said I know what I want and NO ONE can tell me more about my body and how it bounces back or not than me, thank you very much >:O( And that I will cross that bridge when I get to it, not before, and I will do it alone. I'm athletic and I have plans for my body. If that doesn't work, I'll deal with it.

Her damage control strategy was saying that she deals with a lot of women who don't know how to deal with how they look afterward and she has to help them. That the ps she works for is called the "breast doctor" for a reason, blah, blah, blah. Sounded to me like a desperate, used-car-salesman, cheap-scare-tactic used to manipulate me into replacing my implants $$$$$. Fear is one of the greatest motivator if not THE greatest of all. Maybe she makes a commission if she closes me on a replacement??? Could happen, I know dentist offices that pay the receptionists who double as salespeople.

I was really taken aback by the uncertainty I heard from the director of surgery in my town, my local ps. I was hopeful, since he's affiliated with a great hospital that I trust greatly already and where my surgery would take place :O(

Sorry for being such a pain, (LOL I warned you :O) and thanks for letting me vent. I guess I'm feeling the pressure now.

Finally decided on a PS

Scheduled for June

I love, love, love my PS !

I wanted to write an update for a while, but life keeps happening and dividing my attention, plus I wanted to take some pictures to show off my post surgery look. It's been 9 months since my implant removal and I look great and feel great. I think I look younger too ;O)
I have been updating, painting inside/outside my house, etc. In the hopes of selling it. Very busy and hectic. I'll take pics soon. I just wanted to say that I feel lucky to have found this site, which led me to find MY PS. It was so very worth it to take the time to ask and search. Not only did I find a great surgeon but I found strength and resolve in the support for my decisions here, in the responses (and emails ) from other women who had gone or were still going through the same thing I was. Thanks everybody!!!!

The after explant photos...Fabulous!

Here's the look of "al natural" :O) Looking fabulous and feeling wonderful without implants. I don't need a lift, I'm comfortable with the way my chest looks as is. I'm so glad, I feel free and brand-spanking-new.
Thank you ladies for your support, advice, and wishes

Before pics

I only have some before pics (fronts). My pc kept crashing so I deleted most of the pre surgery pics I took in my bathroom. Mortified that some lowlife would get a kick out of these pictures, I tried to delete what I could. Then my pc died and I was forced to take the tower in for repair. Good thing I do not have the stones to take the pics naked! Could you imagine? I would have definitely had a heart attack :-O I have thousands of pics (most of my fur-children) and I losing those would've been devastating for me. Still, I found there were some of the pre AND post surgery left in my pc. The repair man looks at me funny now :O( Oh, well...LOL
No chose yet

Finally decided on Dr. Ganchi in NJ. After seeing 3 PSs, and talking on the phone with other PS offices, I have a date for surgery :O) I made my decision pretty much a few minutes after meeting Dr. Ganchi. I was shocked that he was so easy to talk too and in no rush to get rid of me. With the other PSs I had seen, I felt hurried and uncomfortable, as if I were somehow intruding. Dr. Ganchi came in and sat next to me as if he had all day to discuss my situation, and I felt that he found my reason for being there as important as I did :O) It then dawn on me why I hadn't been able to choose before and I knew instantly that this IS MY PS! (I even started making plans for future procedures). He walked me slowly through all the whats, whys, and hows that were troubling me. I looked at my notepad, where I had written all my questions and concerns, and realized he had answered all of them. I did have to wait what I thought was a long time to see Dr. Ganchi, but when he dedicated a block of time of his undivided attention to me, I realized how worth it it was to have waited. I'm so glad I found a PS I'm comfortable with and trust and I'm so happy that the looking part of my journey is over. Now I can concentrate on the surgery and the healing :O)

Wow!! Thanks for posting before pics. Did you have a lift? Can I ask what size you we're pre explanation & now? You really do look fabulous. I had a moment earlier this week about what I would look like when the implants come out, but I'm over it & seeing yours & others photos & gives me hope. T minus 10 days for deflation. Yeah!!
Nope, no lift. I was a 32A before the implants. Though I had always been "skinny", I always had "extra meat", I mean I was never bony. So I had somewhat of a cleavage. I'm almost back to that look of 20 years ago. I'm not perky, but not droopy either, not to where I would need a lift. For my age and all my breasts have been through, they're in the right place. I used to lift weights (lightly), but I stopped doing anything that would bulk me up even more then I was already with my implants. I still remained active but not to the extent that I used to, so now after explant I find that I'm not firmed generally. When I start exercising again, I expect to firm up evenly everywhere, including the chest area. I think that will take care of the lift if I were to need one, just in case my breast are still settling or gravity becomes a pest ;O) Have hope! There's lots of it without a lift. Sending wellness and quick healing vibes for you on your deflation day!!!! Yeeepy! You'll be fabulous, you'll see ;O)
Oh, almost forgot. Now I'm still 34B. I was supposed to be 34B after my implants but I was really 34C and some times even those were tight. On my camisoles I used to wear medium, now I can wear SMALLLLLLL :O) Nice!
Wow! You really look great! You will be a knock out in your swim suit!
Thank you ;O(How do I FTP to a subdomain? Note: These instructions are for uploading files to your subdomain using the default FTP account. If you would like to create an FTP account specifically for a subdomain, click here for directions. The main reason to create a separate FTP account is if you want to give someone access to this subdomain but not to the rest of your account. If you are just uploading files to your subdomain there is no need to create a separate FTP account. When you create a subdomain of your main domain, a directory is created with the name of your sub-domain. This directory will contain the files that your visitors will see when they enter your sub-domain in a browser. In order to FTP files to your subdomain, you need to first figure out what directory to FTP them to. For example, if your main domain is: milk.com You create a subdomain called cookies: cookies.milk.com The files for that subdomain are in the directory: milk.com/cookies Looked at another way: cookies.milk.com = milk.com/cookies By following this example you can see that when someone types cookies.milk.com into a browser it points to the directory milk.com/cookies. In the above example if you want to change the files that someone sees when they go to your sub-domain, cookies.milk.com, you will have to change the files in the directory, milk.com/cookies. To find your actual directory, go to your control panel and to "Web Hosting Options" and then click “Manage your subdomains”. Under the heading “Existing subdomains” you'll see a list of your subdomains. After the sub-domain name, the name of the directory that the files for this subdomain are in will be in parentheses. This is usually the name of the parked domain. For example, cookies.milk.com (cookies). In our example the directory that you will be uploading files to is called 'cookies'. Now that you know what directory you are going to FTP to, open up your FTP program, or go to the “Online File Manager” in your control panel under “Web Hosting Options”. Note: If you are using an FTP program (instead of File Manager) make sure to FTP into your main domain name, not your sub-domain name. So, the FTP Host that you would FTP to in our example would be milk.com, not cookies.milk.com. Once you are connected and looking at the directory structure, go into the public_html folder (in "Online File Manager", click the folder next to the name of the folder). Find the directory that you are looking for, in our example, cookies, go into that directory and upload your files. Thank you! To celebrate I was thinking about buying the naughtiest bathing suit ever LOL ;O)
You look fabulous!! Do you have a before photo?
Thank you! I feel great and I'm so glad I had the implants taken out :O) My profile pic is a before, in fact my left breast was deflated at the time. It was barely noticeable from the front view. However from the side view, there was a flat look especially from the top of the chest. I'll load up a couple more to see if you can tell better. I can't find side views though. I had deleted most of these pics before I brought my pc in for repair ;O)
Hi, well done you, I'm having mine out next week after only having them for 3 weeks!!! My main concern is that the scar heals well under the crease, how has yours been please? I've seen some whcih look excellent at even 6 months xx
3 weeks only and you're taking them out? You're so brave! I was scared for years. Good for you, you're taking charge ;O) The scar is barely noticeable, it looks like a regular crease. My ps told me to keep the area moisturized and I did. It healed beautifully and I believe that is key to a diminishing the scar 'look'. Later I used coco butter and now I'm using coconut oil. I got second degree burns on my leg a couple of summers ago. I though I was disfigured, it looked like an angry scar on my leg. I put the coco butter in the day and the coconut oil at night and the scar (after all is healed of course) is 90% gone . So I thought I'd do the same with my surgery scar and I like the results.
Thank you for that. I know, 3 weeks seems crazy, I knew straight away and I don't feel like I can get on properly with life with them in, of course the surgeon tried to pursuade me otherwise and he is charging but I don't care. I had mine in the crease incision, it's only about an inch or so long and I tend to heal very well, surgeon says it won't matter opening up again so soon, better now that in a few months when I'm much more healed. What he wants me to do though is to wear scar tape, not silicone just plain surgical tape, I've researched it on line and it seems alot of surgeons think it works wonders, stops the scar from being pulled or stretched. My concern is that is doesn't provide an moisture so I'm a bit torn! As ever there are very conflicting opinions online from the experts.
Yeah, reading everything online can drive you up a wall. But don't worry, the tape most ps use must be the same hypoallergenic my ps used on me, the regular tape, and I healed great with it and never felt dry or uncomfortable. I guess the tape keeps the area as moist as it needs to be, not more because remember that it needs to heal and too much moisture will prevent complete closure of the incision and allow infection to set in. I was worried it would come off in the shower, but it never did. After it's healed you can apply a moisturizer. My ps told me to wear a regular, inexpensive, over the counter moisturizer. No need to spend mega buck$ (I almost bought a $75 one thinking it would be better). But of course you know your body and know what creams are okay for you to use. Trust that. And don't forget that the area of the incision is twice as delicate. I can't wear a lot of stuff because my skin is very delicate and I brake out over nothing :O( I bought my moisturizer from my ps because of convenience and because it had no harsh chemicals that would freak my skin out. Otherwise I would have used something soft on my skin and definitively not tested on animals. I wish you faster than quick healing and beauty ;O)
BEST DECISION I EVER MADE! Wish I would have done it, before my 2nd implant (down size). Doc scared me into NOT removing them!
Yup! Best decision for most of us (if not all of us) ;O)
Go for it, you WON'T regret it!!!
You were right, I don't regret it. I hope women would read all these post before getting implants, it would save them a lot of hard times and $$$$ Sadly, there was no internet when I had mine done. I wouldn't have had implants, I would have bought a swanky bikini and I would have gone to Hawaii with that money
I'm sure we've all heard the same sorry story from drs. about removal. This site is full of women happy with their decision to get their implants out (me included). Keep listening to your own voice. Most likely when the p.s. realizes you've made up your mind then they'll be supportive.
I think you're right, Jo2012, they will have to accept it. But I get scared that it might affect my relationship with the ps, or worse, the outcome of my surgery :-O I hope not.
Oh girl, don't let them scare you into more implants - it IS a used car sales tactic for $$! I had mine removed after 7 years, I have even breast fed 3 kids, and I think I look stunning without the bags now! Good for you standing up and knowing what you want for your health. Best of luck finding a kind compassionate PS :)
You recognize it too, Natural Liv? I guess most of us have been exposed to that tired, worn out used car salesman tactic for $$$ LOL! I guess it doesn't work on some of us, we can see it coming and call its bluff hahhahahahaha That makes me happy :O) Thanks for wishing me luck, it looks like I'm needing it.
You will be fine, they just don't want to lose a lifelong implant customer when they could make $5-10,000 every 5-10 years. So sad. You will thank yourself for a wise decision!
Oh geez, sorry girl! Welcome to the special hell that is trying to find a PS that will fully support your decision to remove the bags! I know for sure that you can't remove capsules through the trans ax incision. My friend had cc and needed a revision and had to go through the nipple in order to remove the scar tissue. She went on many consults trying to find a PS who could do it through her original incisions, and all said no way because they can't see anything in there. If you are okay with your deflated booby, you will be fine with how they look after explant! That next consult sounds like a waste of time. They are already trying to scare you off with how upset you are going to be! :-/ Good luck with your journey, I'll be following your posts! :-)
That is right Girlie!!! No capsulectomy through the armpit - no, no, no! Capsulectomy can actually be a little bit dangerous... When the capsule is adhered to the rib cage there is danger of puncturing a lung. This is why surgeons will often leave parts of the capsule behind, even when the aim is to remove it all. Through the armpit the surgery they would be digging this out basically "blind" and add into that the location of the brachial artery (bleed to death in seconds) and median nerve in the armpit.... No capsulectomy through the armpit! Simple removal through armpit yes, but capsulectomy is a big no for safety. Anyone who says capsulectomy through the armpit is highly suspect, get a 2nd and 3rd opinion.
Wow! Thanks NervousGirlie, it did sound weird to me to have the capsules removed through the incision in the armpit :O( But I was sooo hopeful it could be done. Leaving the nipples untouched would have been a God-sent. I see now how the gift I gave myself 19 years ago, just won't stop giving :'0( I had the implants put in through the armpit, though I was told it would hurt more, so that my nipples wouldn't be touched. My friends' nipples never looked the same after surgery (on some of them the nipple turned dark or weird shaped and ugly) and one said she didn't feel a thing anymore in that area of the breast. I'm okay with the deflated look, it doesn't bother me. It's the incision around the nipple that's bugging me now. I did cancel the appointment with the ps whose 'financial person' turned out to be an used car salesman, I lost trust completely. If they're trying to scare me that bad before I set foot through the door, what can I expect once I'm there? Nothing good can come out of that. Thank you for your wishes :O)