My Story and What to Expect - Scotland, United Kingdom

So here goes nothing:) I'm a 13 year old girl from...

So here goes nothing:) I'm a 13 year old girl from the UK, Scotland.

Ever since I was about 7 I started noticing how my ears were different to others, and then constant anxiety started. I wouldn't dare put my hair behind my ears or straight up, ultimately the boring worst hair ever. My ears stuck out from my head and in about June 2012 I decided to tell my parents how I felt and they understood me and my mum made an appointment for me to go see my GP.

My intentions were to make it as un-costly as possible in otherwords pass the criteria to get this performed on the NHS. So had to put on a sob story and say it was affecting me mentally and that I got severely bullied. Even though I had managed to keep it moderately hidden, of course it still affected me . So I was referred to a physiologist and all that eventually I got my surgery date :D

December the 17th, had arrived so I got to the hospital and was shown to my bedspace and was called down for medical photos.  sat for a few hours everything was explained I got a numbing cream put on my hand. A few hours passed then they handed me a gown and called me down to theatre, scared but still calm hopped onto a bed and the talked to me whilst they put the cannula in and boom I was asleep.

I woke up and my mum had bought me Oasis (the drink) turned out it was way too rich so post general anaesthetic. I threw it all up even the toast but I was getting dressed and threw up again in the ward toilets but did not inform my nurse as the were threatening to keep me in overnight if I was sick twice (even though vomiting is so common after a genral anaesthetic) so i packed up and left. Got into the car was sick again then noticed I wad bleeding from one ear :/ back up to hospital to be told it was a normal and the bleeding had stopped.

Home eventually couldn't eat but slept fine. Next few days were painful with big bandage on so after 4days I just took them off and it was so much less pain I have managed to bathe underwater fully ear submerged it felt good getting the crusty bits of gunk off and I wear a ski headband at night and it feels comfy. Today is Christmas eve (7 days post op) and I get my stitches out. Excited, my ears are still swollen and bruised and a bit numb but I'm so pleased with how it looks and after all the trauma I had I would never regret it you forget the pain because your so happy. So go for it you only live once, why not be happy. I am, now.

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for sharing your story so far. You're so brave to go through surgery this young, but I'm glad you got what you wanted and are feeling good about it! That's the most important thing.

How are you doing now? I hope your recovery is going well. Please keep us posted when you can!