went to have spider veins removed and burned and blistered - Newport Beach, CA

On March 22, 2013, I went to Newport Beach MedSpa...

On March 22, 2013, I went to Newport Beach MedSpa to have some superficial spider veins removed from the side of my nose. I was taken into the treatment room by the person who would be performing the treatment, Kathy Mohammadi. We spoke briefly - approximately 20 seconds while she face timed in the Dr. for a "consult" again lasting about 20 seconds. She began the treatment which is suppose to have little to NO down time. She began moving the laser over my cheeks and underneath my eyes despite me 1) not having any spider veins and there and 2) that is not the area I asked to be treated! Half way through the procedure she hastily leaves the room, says nothing to me and leaves the door to the treatment room wide open. I assume she realized she had burned me, but came back and then started on the other side of my face. by the time I left, I had an open, weeping wound on one side of my face and the other side was developing a large blister.

As the day went on smaller blister began to forms under my eyes which eventually popped and bled. The blister on the other cheek popped as well and the wound was quite deep. I called 6 days later concerned that the wounds were looking infected and my cheeks were still swollen, red and very hot, but didn't get a return till the following afternoon. I went through another weekend and by wednesday of the following week I was still looking SO bad and the hole on my right cheek was not healing. I called the office once again and they said I should come the following day to see a nurse. She looked at my face and the open lesions and face timed in the Dr. I expressed my concerns that I look considerably worse now that I did when I went in; I was worried about scarring as well; and why did Kathy perform the procedure on my cheeks and eyes when my chart clearly states nose?

His comment was, "the face is very forgiving" and offered to phone in antibiotics. I called the pharmacy for 4 1/2 hours that evening to see if the meds had been phoned in. They had not. I got a call the following day from the office that they are not able to find a phone number for the pharmacy - IT'S TARGET and if you Google Target Phamracy, Costa Mesa - it's the first entry!!! They are so incompetent that I will NEVER EVER return there. so here I am over 3 weeks later with a hole which is VERY prominent on my right cheek. I know better than to go to a MedSpa for a "real" procedure but I thought that this was SO minor that anyone with even a decent amount of training could perform it. Boy was I wrong.

When Kathy was using the laser she was also pressing with such extreme pressure that my cheeks were bruised and tender. They have made no offer to correct the damage they have done - so I am not sure what my next move is. I work in the diet industry where appearance is very important and a large hole (in addition to smaller ones on my cheeks and under my eyes) is not acceptable.

I know this isn't as bad or as devastating as some of the procedures I have seen, but keep in mind this is VERY MILD procedure which was to be done on THE SIDE OF MY NOSE NOT ON CHEEKS AND EYES!

It's 4 weeks after treatment and the large blister...

It's 4 weeks after treatment and the large blister has scarred. It's right in the middle of my cheek and it obvious even with sunglasses on. I have an appointment with a BOARD CERTIFIED plastic surgeon on Monday to see what needs to be done to correct the damage. I never in a MILLION years thought this could happen to me - I know NEVER go to a MedSpa for a major procedure but I thought the worst thing that could come of this was it might not work that great and I'd only be out a little money. I never even considered the fact that the person would be SO unskilled as to not even know to treat the correct area as was written in my chart!

If you have to choose a MedSpa - do your homework. While negative reviews maybe don't always give the entire picture, the MedSpa I went to had quite a few negative reviews (now I see them!) of pretty horrific things they have done to their patients, but what I also noticed is that when the MedSpa responded they were very condescending towards the patients and basically every response blamed the patient themselves saying THEY had done something wrong.

I called the MedSpa on 4/19/2013 and Kathy Mohammadi, the RN that performed the procedure, doesn't work there any longer. A quick Google search and it appears she already has a business called Muguet Laser and Skin Care. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

UPDATE: Well, I went to go see a couple of BOARD...

UPDATE: Well, I went to go see a couple of BOARD certified plastic surgeons and the consensus is I need to wait at least 6 months before they can do anything. They said you can see that my skin is damaged and still swollen so until that heals to try another procedure when they aren't exactly sure how its going to respond to this MedSpa debacle, is just too risky. Of course, not at all what i wanted to hear. What I wanted was for them to say, lets schedule you for next week and get this taken care of! But this is what I NEEDED to hear and why I went to a board certified plastic surgeon. the Dr is the expert not me and it really makes me take a tougher look at MedSpas yet again. They don;t advise you really, they just sign you up for whatever you like. I really liked Dr. Shamoun, he took the time to meet with me and explain what was going on. Not just a nurse scheduling as many patients as can be put through the office in a single day. The estimates right now to get this corrected start at 6,000.00 and go up. Oh, have I learned MY lesson!

April 30.2013 - I definitely have a scar but...

April 30.2013 - I definitely have a scar but something else has shown itself. The area on my check that was blistered has hypo pigmentation (lack of pigment) ao there is a white circle about the size of a quarter with the scar on the middle. Also the skin texture is different.
Dr. Csepanyi, Kathy Mohammadi

They do quite a bit of advertising locally, they are always advertising groupons, etc....

Hi all, I saw my dermatologist recently for something else and while there I asked if it was possible to trigger more spider veins receiving the treatment she provides with her laser and she said no, that it is physically impossible. She said people often notice more flaws in their face after part of it has been cleared, and new veins can appear later because they were going to anyway, but that lasering is not the cause. So, I'm wondering what others of you think about what she said?
I don't get it how can they charge so much and not give results...its basicall robbery or we are paying for them to disfigure us....I paid $210.00 and was told that that was a 50% off special...had the treatment was never told it would take 2 or more treatments...so basically I will have to pay 420.00 next visit with no guarantees that they will be gone.
Sounds to me that you have a nice malpractice law suit on your hands....they should at least cover your expenses to correct what they did to you. Plus time out of work, pain and suffering...go for it!
Yes, I agree! I stillhave to wait another month until they can perform any corrective procedures. I, of course, wanted to have it done immediately but every Dr said I need to wait to see exactly what damage they had done and given my skin a chance to heal. Well, interestingly enough about a month ago another scar appeared right above the first one. Because my skinn was still so swollen it was puffed out and not visible - EXACTLY what the dr.'s said would happen and why I needed to wait. FYI - the big crackdown these days by the Medical Board are 2 things: 1) Dr. over-prescribing oxycontin and 2) medspas performing procedures they are not trained to do and injury and disfiguring people, and some permanently. Thanks for your post!
Sounds like you are on the right path...keep your photos and if I were you I would see an attorney so that you don't miss out on recouping what you can from this outfit. And more importantly I hope that the Dr's can eventually correct what they did....good luck!
What kind of correction have they recommended? I had something similar happen to me in almost the same spot as you! I've tried dermarolling but I don't think it's going to cut it.
Sorry to hear you had the same thing happen!!! Have you filed a complaint with the medical board? I would urge you to do so. The Dr who oversees the MedSpa (or any facility) has liability so make sure to file the complaint even if he/she didn't personally perform the procedure. If the person that performed the procedure is a nurse you can also file a complaint with Dept of Consumer affairs as they oversee licensing of nurses. The investigation process can take awhile - you don't need to do much - just takes the agency awhile to get together all the paperwork and decide whether the complaint warrants further investigation. I am happy to say I have been informed by both agencies they are investigating my complaint against the dr and nurse. Sorry to be so lengthy but both agencies are grappling with unethical, unskilled dr's and nurses who are performing procedures outside of what they are able to successfully perform. That said, I saw 4 plastic surgeons and we still don't have a definitive plan. I just hit the 6 month mark that i was told I would have to wait until in order to see all the damage. Sure enough within the last month another scar has appeared above the original but because of the swelling I didn't see until just recently. The concensus amongst the 4 seems to be a full laser facial resurfacing. Because my scars are rather deep, the only way to even it out it is to laser the entire face. The texture around the scar is different as well. Prices range from 8,000.00 - $10,000.00 to repair.
Dont piss them off. I gave them a bad review on yelp, and they told me that I cant come back! No joke. I told the truth about their poor services, and they refused to refund my money, and continued to berate me! Telling me that Im aging and need more procedures. All in all, I would take lots of pics and see an attorney asap girl! So sorry for your expieriences. Best wishes!
I had one larger and so visible in photos spider vein on my cheek and went to a dermatologist about it. She zapped it with her laser (I don't remember what kind) but also zapped others that I'd not even noticed. After that, I did notice more and she said it normally takes 3-4 visits to do a thorough job (at a few hundred dollars a visit). I've been twice, and I was not burned at all. I did have bruises all over my face that kept me in the house for a week each time because it looked like someone had been pounding on me, but after the bruises faded my face was fine. Since then, however, I've noticed more larger, longer ones on the same cheek the initial red vein was on in one circular spot. These are spread out and feather in fine red lines down my cheek. They weren't there when I started this process. I was going to bite the money bullet and go back at least one more time, but now I'm afraid to because I do not know if the new, seemingly worse spider veins are there merely by coincidence or if the lasering triggered more ruptured veins. My vascular surgeon says he removes them with that targeted needle, like greenstar mentioned, and he charges $400 for 30 minutes (my dermatologist took less than ten each time). That is a lot, but not terribly so for where I live (very high medical care prices of all kinds, especially specialists). If I'd gone to him in the first place, I may have had the same or better outcome for a few hundred dollars less. Having said that, however, he did tell me that, although it is rare, there are two *possible negative side-effects." One is for the treatment to create more broken spider veins that spread out in a mass (there is a medical name for it and can be triggered by the procedure). Two, is for the treatment to leave dark, stripey lines on the face, permanently. He said those outcomes are rare but that they *can* happen. My dermatologist said absolutely nothing about any possible negative results from her laser treatment. I've not found anywhere online, yet, that says laser treatment could trigger more vein breaking. I've only read that they could come back. Given I'm already living with the mortifying outcome of trusting a plastic surgeon (Oh that. It's never happened to *me,* so you'll be thrilled with what I just talked you into), I'm thinking a few little veins that are easily covered at this point are not worth risking worse, no matter how small the risk. Hence, I've decided to leave them alone for now.
Do sue them , demand not only your money back but compensation. Did she not listen when you said it was your nose only? and what did you say when she started going all over your face?
Hi! I am going to try and get compensated plus get reimbursed for what it's going to take to get my face returned to normal. I didn't say anything when she was lasering places other than my nose because it felt like she was using a large device - something like a paddle (I couldn't see it because I had covering over my eyes) and she was using extreme force on the entire side of my face so I couldn't isolate the area she was working on. There was so much force - it felt like she was using her body weight as well - that I had bruising too. I had never had this done before so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.
I just read your article & found that you really suffer during your treatment time. I think that you must get some tips for your skin problem. spider vein Orange County

I've been going thru a similar situation with my Esthitician who was zapping some sun spots which the first time the IPL worked well. The second time she used the vein wave and it burned me now leaving several marks and looks awful. I went to see dr today and he says it happens and will get me a bleaching cream to use and eventually it will go away. I am not happy. Any suggestions of what you used to help them go away or what I should do now. They've made no offer to give me a refund as well. Help!

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf. I am so sorry your treatment did not go well. Good idea to be on the antibiotics. This must be so frustrating for you. Have you thought about any anti scarring creams for when the wounds heal? Wondering if you might want to get a second opinion? Hang in there and keep us posted!

Thank you! I feel a little foolish - having worked with Dr.'s I KNOW going to a MedSpa is not a good idea - they perform procedures that they often are not trained, licensed or experienced doing. Jerry Brown signed a law last year, AB 1548, for increased fines, penalties and jail time for operators of MedSpas because the damage they have inflicted on people is so great. I got off lucky in comparison. The blister has scarred but hopefully I can get it corrected. I have an appointment with a BOARD CERTIFIED plastic surgeon on Monday.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Monday appt. Last year, I went to a Board Certified Dr for a spider vein by my nose. By the time I left the place, they had a plan to work on my entire face. I have never made it back there because I felt I was being pushed into more than what I wanted done. I also wasn't pleased with the idea of the doctors "assistant" doing the work on my face. The same thing could have happened to me too. It's tough out there!! Looking forward to your update!

I'm so sorry...this same thing happened to me - my spider veins were made much worse. A couple of years later I went to a dermatologist who had a radio wave machine that took away all of my spider veins in ten minutes with no pain and no downtime. She told me that if you want to kill an ant on the floor, you can use your shoe or you can shoot it with a bazooka. She said people in the states love lasers because they can charge a lot of money, but she said lasers are too strong for spider veins.
Sorry to hear you went through the same thing! What's so frustrating is what made her decide to treat my cheeks and eyes when I clearly only went in for the small spider veins by my nose? The blister on my cheek has scarred - looks like a large acne scar or a chicken pox scar but hopefully I can get it corrected. What I found out over the course of the past four weeks - is that what happened to us is VERY common amongst MedSpas. There was no oversight of what procedures these businesses performed and the fines for injuring someone were so small - just a couple of hundred dollars - that is was the cost of doing business not a deterrent to unethical and illegal practices. Governor Jerry Brown signed Assembly Bill 1548 into law last July. Called Patient Safety Bill, it seeks to crack down on MedSpas and increase fines and penalties and even jail time for offenders! Yeah!!!!!
Hi greenstar...I too have "red dots" (spider veins)on my cheeks and really want to have them removed but am terrified of a laser of any kind. Would you mind sharing who your doctor is and where he/she is located? The radio wave sounds very interesting.
can you referr this dermatologist. I need that for very small spider veins in my legs
Now I want to know where that place is. I went through agonizing pain with some sort of lazer for spider veins and when I was finished I received a baggie with 3 ice cubes in it. Nothing on my face changed at all. For $600!