Tummy Tuck, Lipo Flanks/mons Pubis/inner & Outer Thighs -Newport Beach, CA

I am 5'3 and weighed 215 lbs when I had the...

I am 5'3 and weighed 215 lbs when I had the surgery. I am now at 196. 7 lbs removed from surgery and the rest from not being able to eat well after surgery. I am loving my results!!! My Dr specifically told me repeatedly to make sure not to straighten out until she gave me the OK but somewhere along the way I must have accidentally done it. Now I have this huge open wound right beneath my belly button that goes to down to my incision and is about 7 inches wide. My dr says I need the wound vac to heal the wound within 1-2 months because without it it will take 4-5 months treating with wet to dry dressings of Dakins solution. And, i dont have insurance to help with the costs. I called around and the best rate was $55 a day which is $1,650 a month which i dont have.

This is so depressing because I feel like I can't function. I can't wear jeans because they may upset the wound. Worst of all, the Dakins solution makes the wound smell like a sewer- LITERALLY! I don't know what to do and feel soooo down about this.

Had follow up with Dr today

Went to see my surgeon today and told the receptionist I would be waiting in the hallway because within a few minutes the whole waiting are would be smelling horrendous. My dr cleaned out my wound and I loved the fact that it did not smell much today. My dr said its healing but i cant bear to go on smelling like a sewer. I really really need to figure out a way to get the wound vac as I desperately need it. I feel like I can't function with a huge hole in my stomach. I can't go around people because the smell is so intense. I had to drop my classes and only kept one because its an hour long so I shower and change the dressing right before leaving for class but before the hour is over I can already smell the wound.

No more DISGUSTING wound smell

During my last follow up , my Dr cleaned my wound and did further debridement and I (along with my family) are so happy and super relieved that my wound no longer smells like a sewer! Yay!!!! We can breathe comfortably again!

I'm still shopping around for the most inexpensive facility that offers the wound vac. In the mean time, I'm still treating my wound with Dakins Soultion. At this point, I think that even if I don't get the wound vac I can live without it. I am convinced the smell was what was making me crazy and so so so desperate to find a solution to this whole in my stomach. Since the smell went away, I feel 99% more comfortable and have 100% accepted that I may not end up getting the wound vac... as long as the smell doesn't come back.

Graphic Pictures

Pictures taken on 1/28 night time.

Had Follow Up with Dr today

It went soooooo much better than I expected!!!!! My Dr told me I am healing very good and fast. She said the wound is filling in and even started to shrink. She also said I would only need the wound vac for about a month based on how well it's healing!!! Plus, she gave me the OK to do cardio as I please just no ab work or heavy lifting. So excited and so happy to hear the awesome news my Dr gave me!!!! I can now work on losing 25 lbs to get ready for Vegas this summer!!!

Slowly healing but progressing

I am still treating my wound with wet to dry dressing using Dakins Solution. I have noticed the wound filling in more and more and it seems to me to be shrinking. The disgusting odor never came back, so that is a huge plus. I decided not to get the wound vac as I can't afford it and the wound will eventually heal. I was so desperate to get it when there was a horrible smell that LITERALLY made the whole house smell. Now that it is nowhere as deep as it first was, I have accepted the fact that this healing process will take about 4 more months to heal to the point where my Dr can stitch it and close it up. I am still quiet swollen around the wound area and it is also rock hard and bulgy, but my dr said its normal and that happens as its healing and will eventually soften as it closes more and more. I finally took some pictures of my results with some swelling still. I've seen many pictures where people mention they ended up with dog ears. My sides don't get to swollen anymore but I think I may have dog ears. I'll ask my dr during my next follow up next week. What do you guys think?

Picture cut off

I just noticed my from view picture is cut off from the sides so you can't really see what I'm referring to about the possible dog ears. I upload a better one soon.

Wound Infected=Hospital for 4 days

Everything was going well. My wound was healing nice and healthy. Until... It became infected. I went for a follow up with my plastic surgeon and everything was great. A few days later, I noticed a small spot right above the wound that was red. The next it was more red and a little swollen. The following day was Saturday and it was very red and very vey swollen and hot. I started getting fevers/chills at night for 3 days in a row and noticed the bad smell starting to return little by little. When Monday came around a I called my drs office and they asked me to come in. My Dr then said it was badly infected. She then pressed on the swollen/red lump and alot of pus drained out. She then said I had to go to the hospital emergency room so I could be put in IV antibiotics. I went in to the hospital that same Monday and was not released til Thursday night. For 4 days I was on IV antibiotics. The infection ended up going away then I followed up with my Plastic surgeon and she said that although the infection was a bad thing to have happened, my wound dramatically shrunk and filled in. Now it's about 1/3 of the size it was when she last saw it a few days prior. That happened because my white blood cells rushed to the site of infection and that made it heal faster. And that's where I am today...still dealing with a hole in my stomach, doing dressing changes every 6 hours, and trying to forget this extremely long healing process throughout the day.

Still waiting

Not much change has happened. I'm still dealing with this hole, dressing changes and the hassle of it all. So far, no problems, just healing but its still open. Hoping for this to be over soon.

Big Hole almost filled in!!!!

I saw my Dr about 2 weeks ago and she told me it's about to completely fill in so I don't need to make an appt anymore. When I don't see anymore pink I need to come in so they can stitch it up and close it for good! I'm not 100% there but I'm soooo close. I never thought I'd reach this stage. The actual wound is about the size of a quarter!!! So happy!!!!
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Loved my dr and her staff. I visited a few drs and when I had my consult with my surgeon I loved her and knew instantly I wAnted her to do my surgery. Her staff is so wonderful!!! They never hesitate to answer my thousands of questions and go above and beyond to make patients feel comfortable.

So happy you are finally at the end of all of this, I know it feels so good knowing it is going to be all behind you. This whole experience made us much stronger! I don't know about you, but i feel like i can get through anything now! lol
Oh my you are within my prayers!!! Pray that God heals your wound!!! AMEN!!!!
I am so glad your wound is almost closed! Praying for even quicker healing for you.
Hum!! I'm worried about you!! I've been praying and not seeing you updating is troubling :-(.
Hi :o) thank you for checking up and got your prayers!!! I'm back to updating today.
Yeyyyy!!!! So happy to know back from you!! Phew!!! Sorry about your little set back :-/ hopefully your wound closes before the hot summer arrives. Is there any way, you can rent the wound vac? can u set up a Facebook page were donations can be made? Just here brainstorming, in how to help..Dot12 sending hugs your way girl. Take care
Hi there. I am going through the same thing now. Doc has debrided it once but now I'm noticing it smells again :-( blech it's horrid! How are you feeling? Are you having any pain from it at all? Thanks for sharing it's really helpful to hear other peoples stories.
I just read your review and I so totally feel for you. I feel your frustration and everything else your feeling. It feels like its never going to end, like this hole will never heal and close. The first time my dr did the first debridement the smell did not go away one bit. But the second debridement completely took the smell away. I walked out of the drs office with no a trace of the smell. And you are right, the smell is HORRID, disgusting, unbearable. It gave me headaches. Since my abdomen is still numb, I have has absolutely not pain coming whatsoever- not from the wound or the whole surgery itself. It has been such a nightmare but I would so do it again because I am loving the way clothes fit now. It took me a while but finally accepted that's dealing with this hole is what I have to live with for now. Hang in there, it will get better and heal. I know it's easier said than done but when this is all over we will be left with flat tummies :o)
Lol yeah I get all upset and worked up and then I tried on a small shirt the other day and it fit so then I was all OK WORTH IT! Thanks for the encouragement. I am taking pics every other day and I DO actually see changes and it's closing but it's going to be a while. Just gets depressing at times and I hate that I get kinda worn out easily but I suppose my body's using energy to try and fix it. Take care! :)
Dot12 how are you coming along?? Been thinking of you. Hope you have continued to heal. Xo
Just read your story, i know it's been ruff ,I don't think you were the cause of this nor your doctor, it just happens one of those mysteries , but I do believe your positive attitude has helped in the healing process and your confidence in your doctor - sounds like few more months you will be healed, and believe me the months will come quickly - sending well wishes your way !
Thank you so much for your encouraging words!!!
Omg!!! I just saw your review and your results are amazing!!! You look awesome!!!
So glad to see pics to see that sure enough...with that dakins packing...wounds do heal! Your side view is fab. Congrats! Once it starts closing, it really changes faster than you think. So glad you trust and like your dr. Smooth sailing ahead brave girl!
Thank you! I do really like my Dr and am lucky that I found her. Can't wait to see updated photos of your results!!
I'm glad to hear you're doing better and healing. Take care and keep us posted on your progress.
Thank you! I saw your review and I know you will have great results! I can totally relate to Sad & Droopy. I have a pair just like them :'o( I wear a cup size triple D and they are not pretty. I hope to get them done someday too. Good luck and keep us posted. Can wait to see your results!
Dot12 how are you??? Miss you..take care xo
Hi! I am actually doing great, Yay! The wound is healing nicely- but very slowly. I do see a difference. Its filling in but its still not quite there. Its taking so long. And, I have decided to just let it heal on its own as I don't think I will be able to afford the wound vac :'o( but oh well- at least its healing. But when I think that I still have a few more months to go before it gets to a point where the dr can just stitch it up to close it, it makes feel hopeless because it will be at least 4 more months before that happens. Thanks for asking!
How much is the wound vacuum?? Hopefully it will totally heal sooner . (4 months yikes!!) It's healing. Slowly but surely and that's a big plus. I'll keep praying for a speedy recovery sweetie. Take care :-)
Hi Dot, I know the feeling of having an opened incision and the frustration of it all, it's like hurry up so I can get on with a regular life. I am an RN and dealt with open wounds and slow healing processes, I always put my patients on a regieme of Arginaid, you can buy it on ebay or Amazon, it's a fortified protein drink and it works wonders, and also vit C and zinc, you need lots of protein for wound healing, I love the protein drinks I get from Costco too, there great. Your wound looks good, lots of granulating tissue, healthy tissue with seeming good blood supply, I know it's tough, when your done you'll be glad you did this and this will be just a memory, please look into wound healing and the products I told you about, my prayers are with you, Hugs.
Pattys thanks for the tip. I wrote the name down (Arginaid )
Oh Dot, I am so sorry you have had this problem! I had a very similar problem. It DOES get better. Reading your story I was surprised about smelling problem you had. I am sure that must have been from some bad area that now that is was cleaned out, won't be an issue. I had to have 3 different debridements. These were very upsetting to me. Not that they hurt really, just felt I was sure I was "ok" and then ...more cleaning out. Dr explained that it was important to heal from bottom up and actually that wound cleaning helped heal faster. I did the dakins changes ( or actually my mom and friend did...I was so horrified) and wound closed 3 months after my tt or 2 months after opened up. I am still quite sore in my abdominal area. One thing I want to say to you is you suggested in your write up that YOU might have caused this by standing up tall too early...I have learned from this site, my dr and my own situation that sometimes the wound just opens ...not that you did anything wrong. I don't want you to blame yourself on top of everything else. Truly, it will all be ok and better than ok, before you know it! I wish you all the best!
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! You have no idea how much better it makes me feel. I've also had about 3 debridements & every time my Dr did it I felt like I was taking a step backwards because the wound ended up deeper but every time she did it, it looked so much better and cleaner and it took the smell away and now it's healing very well. Thank you!
That is the best news dot! Wonderful! The body is a miracle healer.