Still Not Confident with my Smile :( Wanting a Refund.. - Newport Beach, CA

Last year, I had four veneers placed on my front...

Last year, I had four veneers placed on my front teeth. I thought I had chosen a really good "cosmetic" dentist, while everyone else in the office made me feel comfortable and confident. Yet, I really think I was just being VERY weak/forgiving during the entire process and not telling them NO and that I was not going to continue working with them.

It began in September 2012, when I decided to commit to getting veneers two months before my wedding. They began the process by removing the tooth structure and placing the temporaries. We discussed what I wanted, yet what I still don't understand is why they never stressed the need for a wax up? While I could blame myself for this, they are the professionals and should have insisted before absolutely anything else was done. The dentist made me feel as if I was designing the teeth, and at first, that made me feel great, but now, I know that he should have taken control and not put so much input from the customer because overall, HE is the professional. He should have made me feel as if he had the control in using his skills to give me what I had wanted.

After a few weeks, I went back in to have the veneers placed, yet I noticed that they appeared "crooked," especially the line that separates the front two teeth, which makes the entire smile appear "off." They were sent back to the lab.

Without going through every single time I went back to the office...it took 3 or 4 sets of temporaries and 10 MONTHS. There were issues that I continued to notice, yet I felt as if they were making me feel just like "perfectionist" or "picky." By this time, I had already paid for the work, which is how they run their office. Yet, I'm now not sure if payment is expected before or after the work? Did they handle that correctly?

On July 3rd 2013, I had the four veneers FINALLY placed. While the dentist did place them in my mouth before cementing them in, how can ANYONE know if they will be correctly placed or truly fit correctly in the mouth until after it is over?

Right after having them placed, I and my husband noticed that one of the front teeth looked "off," as in, being slightly slanted, yet I though maybe the dentist just needed to "shave" some of the veneer in the corner to make it leveled to the tooth next to it. I hope that makes sense. It didn't help that after the first initial visits, the front desk girl made me feel rushed and as if I was expecting perfection, which was NOT the case at all.

Well, again, I should have backed out from the beginning, when I began to feel as if either the lab or the dentist just couldn't get it right. Also, when I began to feel that they were thinking of me as "picky," is when I should have left. This is a very expensive decision, the customer SHOULD have the right to be picky and receive exactly what they want.

Well, instead of complaining right away, I decided to give it plenty of time to see if I truly was being just "picky," yet I continue to look in the mirror and feel very unhappy with the results. Not only do I noticed that the veneers appear "slanted" and just really "off" in my mouth, yet it is even showing in photos that I have taken over the past few months when I went on vacation with my husband. He has even noticed what I am now self-concious about. The four teeth appear to be slanting towards the left....it is obvious in the photos.

In addition, throbbing from one of front teeth began during the fall. Which I blamed on other things, yet it is now apparent that it is coming from the area that the veneer work was done. They also still feel rough on the backside of the teeth, making me feel as if he really did not finished the job well.

I recently went to another dentist for a cleaning, and I did tell him my concerns about the odd shape and that I really felt they are "crooked." He did agree that the front two are appearing like that due to one of the front veneers being slightly "slanted." He said he could try to fix it, yet wanted me to continue thinking about what I'd like to do.

I desperately want to have them redone, YET I do not want to go back to that office (FYI, they never even called afterwards to check in on how I was doing, how they felt, if I was happy etc). I want a refund. I want to feel REALLY happy with my smile, that is why I did it in the first place. I needed to fix a discolored tooth, so I chose this option and had anticipated that I would be thrilled to smile, which is NOT the case. I already have several health issues, such as Lupus, so being able to fix my smile and have that confidence was going to be huge for me. Well, it just saddens me now to feel like I waited so long, saved up, and was SO excited to feel amazing smiling, just to be really disappointed and let down.

I am trying to figure out what I can do next. Either file a small claims to receive a refund or go further and hire a lawyer. Cosmetic dentistry should look good, when there is proof in photos that teeth were not placed correctly or bulky, I feel that would guarantee a refund.

Thank you for reading all of this. I am sure I left out a few pieces of information by accident, yet I think I stated the main points.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions. Thank you!!

I understand your feeling. I was only 15 when the orthodontist and cosmetic surgeon pushed me to get veneers. I thought my teeth were fine. I told him about my dream to become a professional saxophonist and he said "if you are up against another person to be on a magazine cover, who would they choose..the one with perfect teeth or the one with crooked teeth." Manipulating me completely at such a young age. He convinced me I needed them. Now I still play saxophone and have been successful, but I always have pain and sensitivity in the areas they worked on and I have to deal with my veneers moving out of place every time I play. The two times I went to the office, they sand down part of my veneers to make it seem like they are doing something, then they send me home without giving me a chance to talk; rushing me through. Hopefully people know in the future not to mess with a smile that is not broken no matter how much pressure is put on by the doctors to receive the treatment.
Your smile is still beautiful you
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

All what I see is a very beautiful smile.
Sorry your having so many issues. Cosmetic dentistry really should be seamless when performed correctly. You do mention a wax up should have been made. I agree completely. Wax up provides the basis for a pre look at the final veneers. All changes can be made to the temps until you are happy with the look and then the lab can follow what you have approved. I do agree that the right veneer is canted and I also believe the two front teeth are a little short. Normally, the edges of the front teeth should be the same length as your canines This has cosmetic and functional value. As far as money goes, I would call the office, tell them how you feel about the work, that you have lost faith in them and would like a refund. If there is resistance, then proceed with other action. Best of luck and know how difficult and disappointed you are. Martin Gorman,DDS 818-995-1891
Thank you for your thoughts. I had brought up the wax up, yet since I was not the professional, I went off of what they said was needed and not 100% needed (such as the wax up). I'm very frustrated I didn't stand up for that now. I'm glad another DDS is seeing what I see, in addition to other issues, such as the length. I will go ahead with contacting them and then going with legal action if needed.
I'm so sorry you're so unhappy with your result.  When I look at the pictures, it looks like your upper right front incisor that is off, is that correct?  Have you read through your contract paperwork--do you know what kinds of warrantees or guarantees you have on the work you had done?

I don't know whether it's standard for dentists/orthodontists to contact you after they've done their work.  Mine certainly don't.  I just set the next appointment, or I call them and set an appointment to talk to them.  Do you normally have your husband or other support with you when you go in to speak with the doctor?  In the past, I've asked my husband to come in with me or I've written my questions ahead of time and rehearsed with him so that my doctors don't bowl me over (as I can be timid when faced with authority figures and feel I am less knowledgeable.)

I definitely can't give legal advice, and I honestly wouldn't want to.  I've worked in courtrooms and in legal offices and the whole legal system is just so, so, so difficult.  I certainly wouldn't want to go through it for myself!  I've taken losses rather than end up in the courtroom!

Good luck….
What shade or color of veneer did u get?
Hi Transam19!  You replied to my comment instead of commenting on the review.  I'm not certain whether MissBree gets notified in this case.  I am assuming you meant to ask her, since I did not get veneers :).  Can you re-ask your question in the comments section and I'll get rid of this one when you're done?
Hello, I do not remember at all which shade I got. I'm sorry :( Was there a specific reason you were asking?
Hello, I 100% believe that all four teeth are off and a bit slanted. I did sign a contract with them, yet I cannot find it because I did move twice since then. I will probably be calling them to receive a copy and go from there. I do remember the receptionist stating that I had 1 year from the time they were put on for anything that goes wrong. Yet, I do remember them also stating that once they were on, it was a done deal. Yet, I am a very strong willed person, and I believe it should have been done more precisely and more appealing to the eye. So, I will be possibly having a attorney write them a letter for a refund, and if not, small claims. Otherwise, I will always be unhappy and wandering what I could have done. Thank you for your thoughts too!
I see what you mean, now that you mention it.  It was just that one front tooth that caught my eye.…

Good luck!  Small claims is less heinous than the others, since no one is allowed to have an attorney (at least in California.)  Of course, people are allowed to use an attorney if they appeal the small claims ruling.