PicoSure - Newport Beach, CA

My dermatologist was the first to receive the...

My dermatologist was the first to receive the PicoSure laser in California so I decided to give it a go. I have never had any other laser removal done on my tattoo before PicoSure. My first treatment was in December and I received my second treatment today.
So far I have seen a huge difference in all the colors being faded- black, green, yellow, and lots and lots of red. I notice on this site that people say it doesn't work on red, but so far I have seen it fade as you can see in my photos. The nurse at my doctor's office assures me she has seen red disappear on other patients as well.
I have to be honest and say PicoSure is extremely painful! My tattoo is on the inside of my bicep so I'm not sure if that is the reason it is so painful or if it is for everyone. It just really, really hurts! I even took two Percoset before my appointment today, but it barely took the edge off. Be ready for some deep yoga breathing when you commit to multiple treatments of PicoSure.
After my first treatment my arm felt like it was on fire for hours and hours and sharp pains for about five days. My arm also had blisters all over the tattooed area. I kept it wrapped with gauze to keep the liquid from ruining my clothes once they opened up on their own. They also provided me with a very thick ointment to keep it moisturized so it wouldn't crack and be even more painful.
Today was my second treatment, which was just as painful, but only seemed to hurt for about two hours afterward. Now it's feeling ever so slightly sore. I hope the ink blasting keeps working as much as it did last month. I will update as it goes on.

Second Treatment Completed

So it's been almost a month since I had my second PicoSure treatment! I can't say it hurt any less than the first one. I took two percoset before my treatment and it did not help AT ALL. I won't bother next time. Here is the new photo! Amazing!!!

After Third Treatment

Ouch again.

Fourth treatment

Wasn't any less painful during treatment, but this time I didn't blister as badly as every other session. Looking good. Next treatment is on Friday.
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Great results! Do you mind if i ask how much he's charging you per session?
I do not pay per session. I paid for a package based upon the size of the tattoo and how many sessions she anticipated doing. Sorry! :)
Outstanding fading - so happy for you!!!!!
heey, I have a tattoo in the same place and your results have been so encouraging. Have you headed in for your 4th treatment yet?
Yes. I just took the photo today to update. Here we go....
thanks for the update! looks really good! Do you have an estimate to how many more treatments you'll be needing/do you plan on taking a break during the summer months?
You know the settings she used?
Very encouraging. Thanks for posting. I'm not quite ready to jump on the problems with red bandwagon either as I'm also seeing fading with mine..... Not as dramatic as your though.
Really good progress. How long are you leaving between treatments? Was you're most recent one in the last couple of days?
I'm trying to leave just four weeks in between sessions, but this time it was longer because I was out of town. I had my most recent treatment about three weeks ago. My next appointment is April 6th or so.
Four weeks is pretty close, but it's obviously working for you! Have you noticed any raised areas at all? I think the inner bicep is quite safe in terms of scarring, as it's pretty fleshy. Fingers crossed!
For weeks is what they recommended so I stuck to it. I have zero raised areas. Thank God! I just hope the red and pink comes off as they promised.
That's good! Are you using any oils or anything between treatments? Also, are they using a different laser to target the red?
They gave me an intensive moisturizing lotion to put on my blisters when they dry up so they don't crack. I blister up very badly. No other laser used. She swore picosure will get the red completely and said it has on other clients
Well it's certainly faded the red down considerably, which is interesting because everything I've read suggests that it should have any real impact on it. Do they possess any other lasers should the red stop responding to the Picosure?
Wow, your progress is looking amazing! So happy for you!
really nice results- and your skin looks undamaged! I can't believe how well the green responded. Mine just turned to yellow:(
looks great!
Outstanding results!! Really clearing fast :)
The Picorsure has a 755nm wavelength of light so it should work very well on your green ink! It will work much less efficiently on the red ink however. There is a specific mechanism of action for all lasers and some people claim that the Picosure is "colorblind" but that has not been the case - You will likely need to have the red treated with a 532nm wavelength. Also, the process is very uncomfortable no matter what laser is used. When the Picosure was launched many dermatologists stated that it was painless because they were repeating information that the manufacturer provided to them but they have backed off that claim now that patient's are commenting how painful it is. Keep in mind, again, all tattoo removal is painful (but very tolerable) and anyone claiming otherwise isn't being honest. Good luck!
Thanks for this information. I know it will be painless, but from the pictures I have seen of a few very large blisters it concerns me with safety. Are larger blisters normal or does that have to do with aftercare?
The blisters go away after a few days and it ends up healing nicely. They blister right away on me, nothing to do with aftercare, but the nurse told me not everyone blisters. I also bleed and she says others do not. I guess it must depend on your body type.
Blisters are normal. They may or may not be present after each treatment. Bleeding however is not often seen in the vast majority of tattoo treatments. It may be an indication of a treatment that is too agressive. The treatment should be selective to the ink and it should not disrupt normal surrounding tissue to the point of frank bleeding (although some minor pinpoint bleeding may occur in some cases).
Hi William, sorry for butting in. Do you see much in the way of hyperpigmentation when you're treating tattoos? I seem to be experiencing some light 'browning' of the skin, and I'm concerned it could stick around. I'd be very grateful of your opinion on my review.
Aproximately at least half of all patients getting laser tattoo removal will experience dischromia. Hyperpigmentation is typically transient. Please see my articles or text book chapters on laser tatoo removal for more information. Hope this helps!