It's Been a LONG Time Coming! - Newport Beach, CA

Hi everyone! First off, let me say that finding...

Hi everyone! First off, let me say that finding this community and being able to read and share these experiences with all of you ladies has really been a blessing! The fear of the unknown was keeping me up at night. =>

I just turned 37 in August and have 4 kids. 20-17-15-13. After a failed marriage I met my soul mate about 11 years ago. Needless to say, he spoiled me rotten giving me what ever I wanted. Never talking down to me, always telling me how beautiful I was. So supportive and loving. Well, I got a little too comfortable. In the last 7 years, I managed to gain 100 lbs. I finally had enough of the yo yo diets and in February of 2010 had the lap band surgery. I am now 70 lbs down and ready to implement "phase 2" of taking back control of my body. For the last year and a half, I have worked with a personal trainer exercising 3-4 days a week and adopting a new healthier lifestyle not just for myself but for my family as well.

I was referred to Dr. Niccole from a close friend and was put very much at ease from the moment I walked into the office. At first I was just going to do the breast lift and augment but after thinking about it I figured just get the TT also and get it over with!

So here I am, 10 days until the big day!!!

OK, so only 4 days until the big day...not sure if...

OK, so only 4 days until the big day...not sure if it's just nerves or what but I'm getting a little scared. I've been playing worst case scenarios over and over in my head and i can't get it to stop. BOOO! I think I'm just ready for the actual surgery to be over with so I can get to healing. Last workout with the trainer is tomorrow so no more exercise for a while (actually not gonna miss that too terribly cuz she's tuff LOL)!

Well, I'm day 5 of post op. Soreness is the big...

Well, I'm day 5 of post op. Soreness is the big culprit here. Just before surgery he de iced he needed to lipo a bit on my "flanks" saying he was worried it wouldn't be even or smooth if he didn't. That is probably the part that hurts worst. Other than that my back feels like its going to break from being hunched over. I'm a little nervous because my boobs are super hard and seem to be high. My PS says this is normal and that I am still very swollen. I've had a few friends who have had implants and they said the same thing so I wont freak out too much LOL! Gonna be posting some pics here soon.

Well, woke up this morning and my right pinky and...

well, woke up this morning and my right pinky and part of the right side of my hand is numb. its been about 2 hours now. a little worried, is this normal? also, i have a few drops of blood in my urine when i go to the bathroom. i go in to see my ps today so i will definitely be bringing this to his attention.

Day 9 of po. feeling MUCH better. got my pain...

day 9 of po. feeling MUCH better. got my pain pump as well as 1 drain removed this week and cant wait for the other 2 to go! i can really feel them up my sides and it pulls and burns when i try to stand up when i walk. got the go ahead to start massaging my breast this week. they are still pretty sore so i have my husband do it cuz i cant!

Okay, so let me do a full on up to today review of...

okay, so let me do a full on up to today review of what i have experienced and what anyone reading this can expect if you havnt gone thru it already.
first of all: nerves nerves nerves pre op! dont play the "what if" game! dont second guess yourself, your decision, or your ps. you did your reasearch, picked your doc for a reason and choose this proceedure because you are ready! RELAX! its all going to be fine!

second: the worst part of waking up from the operation for me was nausia and not pain surprisingly. ask your ps if they will give you a pain pump or if its an option because it made the first several days of recovery VERY comfortable. pain management is the key. i would have to say that extreme soreness and the pain in my back from walking in the bent position was the worst part. so don't be scared you wont be able to handle it. its uncomfortable, not unbearable.

third: follow your ps po instruction to the letter! there is a reason they tell you to do what ever weird thing they may want you to do. and dont be afraid to ask questions or address concerns even if you think they might be not a big deal or silly. its your body, this is new to mostly everyone and they are there for you to answer any questions you might have about the changes going on.

lastly: DONT PANIC! you will be swollen for a long time, your boobs might ride high for a while, might be firm for a while, things might look a little "off" or "not right" but this is okay and normal. im 9 days po and my boobs still don't look completely normal (still very swollen and high) but they look much better than day 1. give yourself time! good luck & congrats on your journey to all of you fabulous women!

So I finally got another drain pulled yesterday...

So I finally got another drain pulled yesterday with the final drain hopefully coming out on Monday. I forgot to mention ladies, oversized baggie sweatpants and zip up or button down shirts or hoodies are a MUST for PO. I didn't have anything oversized like that and didn't want to spend a lot of $$ for it so I just went to Goodwill and picked up big sweats and a hoodie for less than $10! I also rented a motorized reclining lift chair that SAVED ME! my bed sits too high and my couch would have been real comfortable. And having the chair lift me up and down was sooo helpfu

^I meant my couch would have been UNconfortable!! ;)

^I meant my couch would have been UNconfortable!!
;)

So I'm 16 days PO. I think I'm going thru the...

So I'm 16 days PO. I think I'm going thru the blues that everyone has spoken of
I'm still swollen. My boob r very firm still. My right boob has dropped but my left hasn't so I look a little lop sided, and to top it all off I think I have a dog ear on my left hip. Oh yea, and to top it off my skin on my belly feels so tight and uncomfortable I can't stand completely upright. I think I'm gonna call it a day.

Feeling a little better today. I just seem to get...

Feeling a little better today. I just seem to get really winded doing stuff around the house. My belly is SO stinkin tight! I really hope that goes away. Got my next PO appt Monday morning. I'll be bringing this up with my ps and see of there r any stretching moves I can do to loosen this up a bit.
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Congrats your results look amazing, well done on the weighloss, I have loat 56 pounds 2yrs ago, tummy tuck and boob lift for me Jan 2013, hope rest of your recovery goes well. xx
:( everything will be ok! Too soon to tell about anything I think.
I'm so sorry you are going through the blues, but you do look amazing! Congrats on your weight loss and taking a healthier approach to your body.
Yay! Some drains out!!!! I know that is such a feeling of getting past all this recovery phase! Whew... Keep shopping the goodwill or plan on investing in a few sweats you like. I've come to realize I will be in them till at least 3 mos post op....unless going out somewhere special. I am currently graduating myself up to leggings that are nice and thick ones that provide quite a bit if support actually. I'm glad your healing so well! Don't worry about that tightness you feel. Give yourself time to slowly stretch. Keep up the relaxing :)
Hey TM, I'm 16 days PO now and my stomach is TIGHT! pretty uncomfortable to walk full upright without the feeling of my skin really being pulled. Did urs feel very tight at this point?
I didn't feel as though my 'skin' was tight (I still have a bit of skin), BUT my muscles felt tight and up until about 4 1/2 weeks I had a hunch in my shoulders forward bent over still. My PS actually asked if I could stand upright...I said, yes...he said, then do it. I've been forcing myself to keep my posture ever since and haven't had a problem. I felt the pull right below my sternum for about 3 inches and yes, it was a little uncomfortable. I would say don't force it. Your body will let you know when you're ready to stretch it. We have all sorts of time we can take to be ready....I say, let's take our time ;)
You're looking great! And thanks for All the info, it's super helpful!
What did the ps say about the blood in ur urine? You are looking great:-)
hey! well, they said it wasnt caused from the surgery because they don't cut beyond the muscle. the nurse "checked" me out and said that it looked as if i had started my period again. i told them that i had my period already on the 12th of this month. from what i was told, they said it isn't completely unusual for the surgery and/or anasthesia to cause me to start again. i have had a history of irregular cycles. i have no pain, no weird swelling. and for the last 2 days it sure does look and feel like im on my period.... great (0_o) soooo, today its starting to go away so i figure unless something changes im just going to give it another day or two before i call my obgyn.
You know, if it helps you feel better, after my surgery I had a period that started and I bled for 7 days then spotted for 2 more. So, a total 9 day period. I think for some of us it just does this to us. You'll be okay.
I heard that from a few other ladies also that they got their periods again. I am just finishing my period- my surgery is Monday. I hope mine lest come again
I ment I hope mine doesn't come again. How are you feel other wise?
I'm feeling much better today. Period only lasted 2-3 days so that wasn't so bad. I got 2 of my 3 drains out and can't tell u how much mire normal that makes me feel. Good luck on ur surgery Monday!!! I'll be checkin in on u. Let me know how it goes, I'm sure it'll be great!!!
Yea, it only lasted 2-3 days so thank god for that. Hey I got a question. I still can't stand up straight and I'm now 10 PO. The skin down the middle of my stomach is sooo tight. Does yours still feel that way??
I had my post op appt today too. I hope you got answers to what's going on with your hand and urine. It does sound like a pinched nerve and maybe infection like mlm below suggested. I was taught today to 'massage my breasts' to soften them. So glad my husband wasn't there to see the Dr teaching me that....he doesn't do well with that stuff (lol). Hoping all good news for you today!
Yea it was totally a pinched nerve. Took hours to get the feeling back ugh! How did ur post op go?? From the pics I saw ur doing great! They showed me massage techniques too but I'm still too sore lol!
He showed me the massage and I must have had a look of horror on my face, I was terrified of my incisions! He reassured me they are healed enough by now for me and strong enough (lol). I'll try to get new updated pics posted tonight or tomorrow. I got the tape off my upper half....nice feeling! I saw your bruise from your lap band and wondered if it wasn't just the pressure from pulling the skin taunt during the surgery? Also, is that port filled with heparin? I don't know much about them, but just a thought that it could have leaked a smudge with the pressure of surgery and the heparin could have caused bruising? I'm sure it's something simple that will just go away with time :)
its just saline that they use to fill it so i think youre right about it being caused my pulling the skin. they showed me the massage which basically is just a pushing motion upward/downward/sides. is that what he showed u too?
No, it was a bit more like milking a cow I thought...although I've never milked a cow before. It was a squeeze sort of massage just from the bottom half. Did you massage your entire breast?
maybe a UTI or kidney infection? Were you catheterized? I would think the numbness in your hand would probably be related to your back. you're hunched over and it could be compressing a nerve. Our backs are always happy to mess with the nerves in our extremeties especially when we have to sleep in wacky positions! I'm sure that will resolve itself. I'm dying to know how your tummy looks with your lap band port. This is one of my biggest stressors for my upcoming surgery. Feel better soon!
I did have a catheter for the first 24 hours after surgery. It's now like I'm full on my period. I talked to my doc and he said it's not uncommon to have a major type surgery as this and it throw your body out of wack. I don't have any pain so I'm just gonna keep an eye and see I guess. But he check me out and says all look good. I don't know if u saw but in my last pic there is a big round bruise right where my port is located. I'm not quite sure how or why that happened as he said he didn't have to move it.
I did see that. I wonder if it's just from tightening the skin over the port? Do you have a high or low profile port?
i believe its a high profile port? not 100% on that. my ps said he didn't have to move or reposition the port so i can only guess that you guys are correct in saying that it must have been from the tightening of the skin over it because i can still feel it and its in the same place.
You look Wonderful! I'm so happy for you :) Have a Restful Healing! Great post-op pics!
Wow! Incredible before & afters with the lap band! Can't wait to see the afters from surgery! Hope you're feeling well! Don't worry about those boobies! There's so much healing going on right now.