Large Chin Implant With Wings- Lots of Bruising 46 Y/o Male - Newport Beach, CA

I always had a lousy profile which was primarily...

I always had a lousy profile which was primarily the result of a weak chin. I had toyed with the idea of doing something about it, but finally decided once I found out that my wife of 14 years didn't love me anymore and we needed to get a divorce. I am one of those guys who needs to "do something" when crappy things happen, so I figured that this might help. I am at the end of day 2 post op, so I realize that it is early, but I am bruising REALLY badly and starting to second guess my decision. I need to be in public tomorrow and it will be really evident to my kids and others that I look really bad. From what I have read, I know that I need to give it time, but being alone and just thinking about this really does screw with your head. I rolled the dice hoping that it would not be too bad by Halloween when I take my kids trick or treating at one week post op, but it seems like I came up craps. I am surprised at how sad I am right now, so any words of encouragement would be appreciated. I will try to add photos as well.

Thanks

Aw, I'm so sorry you have post-op blues. I wonder if you're mourning for not only your altered jaw but your marriage as well. Look at me playing therapist! Sorry. I know that lots of folks get slightly to severely depressed after plastic surgery. I hope this is just a phase of healing that passes. We'd love to hear more about your recovery process and see your photos as well. Chin implants can have such an amazing aesthetic impact.

Hang in there. We're here for you!

Bit of an update

Thanks so much for the reply Angie. Agreed, I am not I the best place mentally due to my divorce, so I am sure that this is having an impact. Today is the morning of day 5 post surgery. The bruising is starting to fade some, but is still very deep red across most of my chin. My jowls actually seem to be getting more swollen, not less. As a result, there are viewing angles that are really unattractive, with seemingly sunken looking cheeks. Really hope that the jowls don't stay swollen and go down.

The pain has been more than I expected as well. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but its been pretty bad. I have had headaches and my teeth hurt as everything is just so tight and feels like it is putting tension all around my face and head. Who knows, maybe this is related to stress, but I really hope it resolves soon.

I think I will like my profile once things settle down, but this has been way more significant than I expected. I might have had an unrealistic expectation about how easy this was going to be but my experience thus far is that it's not. Of course, then I get "spinning" on all of the other possible complications that could occur and I get more stressed. One day at a time I guess. On a positive note, Dr. Cruise and his staff have been really good so far.

pics

Just posted some pics

Before is the one of me in a white shirt by the window. Then a couple 2 days post op and then 3, 5 days post op. Comments appreciated...
Eesh, thanks folks. I think that I fundamentally underestimated the recovery time. I can't imagine what some of the more "significant" procedures are like. BostonGirl and JJJ- are you both happy with the results? Any other complications? Thanks
I am finally happy with the results after all this time... Your mind will play tricks on you but just give it time... You can see my pics on my profile if you want
yes so happy , i had no complications with my chin. Just try not to touch it. My doctor said you also are not allowed to pop your pimples for the first few months ( LOL). And JJ is right, your mind plays tricks on you, one day i hated it and i do not know why, now i am so happy i went thru with it!

Day 8

So, my bruising is slowly fading, but I still have two bright purple splotches on my jowls and yellow/red/brown across the rest of my Cindy, jaw, neck and a bit of upper chest. It is going to take at least 2 weeks to resolve at this rate.

I also have pain in one spot on my left jaw that actually radiates into a couple of teeth as well. I just emailed the PS to seek if tips is anything to be concerned.
swelling in my jowls has gone down some, but the left side of my chin is still really swollen and sticking out. Underneath my chin is also swollen and my scar is raised. At this point, my face appears longer and narrower than before. I am hoping this, is mostly due to swelling that will resolve. I will try to post pics over the weekend.

No numbness in my lips or really even in my chin. Still really tight feeling tough and my smile is crooked-a bit like a sideways "s". Can only see my top teeth.

Not looking forward to 2-6 months for all this to resolve, and I am a bit concerned about the pain that goes into my gum/mouth.
Looks good! How are things going these days? How does it feel?
How you doing now buddy?
It takes much longer than you think to recover... I am 16 months out and I am glad I did it... Did I really need it, prob not, am I more balanced and proportionate, def. hang in there, it gets better with each day!
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I really liked Dr.Cruise and his entire staff. They took the time to answer multiple sets of questions from me, and really seemed to care. They also appear to have a well thought through process.