Chin Implant & Liposuction

I am hesitant about posting this on the internet...

I am hesitant about posting this on the internet for the world to see but I feel an obligation since this site has helped me so much. I decided on my plastic surgeon from this site as well.

I have always had a weak chin, and it didn't really bother me until I started to get some fat under the skin - I am not overweight, but yet I had a double chin any time I slightly tilted my head down. It's something that has consumed me for the past 5 or 6 years. I started to see it in pictures first, and would always be conscious to pose from the front and would cringe any time I saw I was tagged in a picture because it was likely caught off guard and my double chin would be there.

It bothered me when I talked to people because I felt like they could see it. I already look really young for my age, and want to be respected, and I feel the weak chin just made that worse. I was especially disturbed by the double chin since I never had that before, and even when I tried to lose weight it would linger. I would learn in my consultation that it's genetic.

The doctor gave me 3 choices, general or twilight anesthesia in a surgery center, or local anesthesia in the dr. office. This was my very first surgery. I can easily freak myself out mentally, and already had some scary dreams about the procedure, so I decided to do the twilight anesthesia. I was still awake, but very numb and very sleepy. I actually fell asleep at one point on the table and woke up because my legs jumped. I would definitely recommend doing it this way. It's more expensive, but I felt so at ease and comfortable.

The doctor sized me for the implant in the operating room, and I could hear them all agree on a medium. (I went to another consultation before I decided on my Dr. with a different surgeon and he recommended a large... I asked the plastic surgeons on here and they all said large would be too big. I'm glad I got a second opinion. I have small features and I think the large would be too big).

I am 3 days out from surgery today. The first two days were kind of tough... definitely needed pain medicine and had trouble sleeping. I'd get nauseous on and off but had a nausea pill (Zofran) that I could take. I can already tell it's going to be a slow recovery for me. Just today I've had bruises show up on my neck and chin. I'm also really swollen around my chin and it makes me look like a potato head. I have researched so much though, I know this will go away with time. It's just freaky at first.

The hardest/worst part so far is that I cannot feel my entire lower face. My lower lip is extremely numb and constantly tingling/burning. Of course I think the worst possible scenario and think I have nerve damage, but the on-call doctor said it's completely normal. I've been googling a lot too and it says the tingling is a good sign. I cannot talk or eat anything except protein shakes and smoothies through a straw. So that's really frustrating. I'm a talkative person. Also when I move my lower lip fast, I get a shooting pain throughout the left side of my chin. I will ask the Dr. about this at my pre-op tomorrow.

I will post some after pictures soon!

Before Pics & Post-Op Update

I just had my post op appointment. Dr. is pleased with the results and so am I. It's a small, but big difference. I don't even think anyone will notice unless they fixated on my double chin regularly like I did. Which is good. I didn't want to look different, just a better version of myself.

I asked him about my numbness. He said he has never had it happen, but permanent nerve damage is a risk with the procedure. He said since we used a medium implant, it has probably stretched the nerves out. He checked the inside of my mouth to see if it was out of place, but it wasn't. (By the way we put it in under the chin, which is supposed to be better for avoiding nerve damage).

I am trying not to let myself think that it could possibly be permanent and trying to be optimistic. I know I'm only 4 days out, but it seems like most people didn't experience this. If any of you had, and it got better, I'd love to know about it. This is the only thing really bothering me.

5 Days Post-Op

Here is a 5 days post-op picture. As you can see I've got some bruising on my neck, but it's not painful just ugly. I'm especially swollen on the chin, under the chin, and around the jawline, but the swelling has come down a LOT. If it weren't for the bruising I would totally feel comfortable in public. The numbness and tingling in my bottom lip and chin is still there, but I think I am getting a little bit of feeling back. Talking and eating are still hard, but not impossible. I've been wearing a chin strap as much as possible and it's really helping in preventing the swelling from gathering under my chin. No pain or nausea yet today - yay!

Feel free to ask any questions.

7 Days Post Op

Today was rough emotional-wise. I'm exactly a week post-op and still extremely swollen. My face is really wide from the front because of the swelling around the implant. I am supposed to go to work on Monday and I just can't see it happening. I have yet to be out in public since the surgery. The lower half of my mouth doesn't move at all, so I know people are going to notice. I know it will get better but it's hard to imagine. I take back what I said about being in public 5 days post op. I wish I had 2-3 weeks off work.

14 Days Post Op

Hey guys. I'm exactly 14 days post op today. I can't believe it's already been 2 weeks! I really wanted to check in and let you guys know my thoughts.

First off - I think most plastic surgeons (on message boards and consultations) make it sound like you will be ready to go and feeling normal after surgery in 5 days-a week. To their defense, I think some patients probably ARE ready to go that quickly, but keep in mind everybody is different and we all have different healing schedules. I think I would have personally felt more comfortable if I had 12 days recovery before I had to go back to work rather than 9. I really didn't start feeling comfortable and like myself until day 12.

Also, this is your FACE. I don't think we realize how many nerves and delicate tissues are in our face, but putting a foreign object in there is a big deal and your body will most likely react. I didn't start to have any feeling in my lower face until day 10, and wasn't able to smile until day 12. I had a constant buzzing feeling in my lips which was HIGHLY annoying, and I still get it here and there but it's much more subdued. I think it will be another couple of weeks before I can fully move my mouth and have more feeling back.

With that being said, I was FREAKING out at 7 days because of the numbness and the buzzing. I didn't think I'd ever be able to feel my lips again. I tried to eat a sandwich and ended up biting my lip so hard without even knowing it because it had no feeling... I didn't realize until I saw blood on the sandwich. I feel really silly for freaking out now because every day gets better and better. It's hard to tell yourself that, but you just have to give it time.

Currently I am still really swollen and sore under my chin from the liposuction with hard lumps. My doc said that is normal. I'm just very impatient and want the swelling underneath to go away so I can see my new jawline!

Some other things I have noticed are that my bottom lip sits differently... in a good way though. It looks a little bit fuller and more pouty because the chin pushes it up. I hope that stays! Also I had the start of a dimple on one cheek before the surgery and it looks more defined now, which I like.

Right now I'm feeling good. Impatient for final results, but good.

Update!

So its been over 2 months now and the swelling underneath my chin is almost completely gone! You can see it a little bit in the pictures, but it is so much better than it was. I would say I have 99% movement back in my mouth (I can smile showing my bottom teeth, and I'm back to doing my silly facial expressions). People that I haven't seen for a few months have not noticed at all. My mom even said if she didn't see me all the time and didn't know, she's not sure she would have noticed. Which is what I wanted - I wanted to look like myself still, just better, and that's what I feel like I got.

Being patient is the hardest part. For anyone who has just had surgery, please please know that every day you will look different. You won't see your final results for MONTHS so don't worry yet if it looks too large.

I am back to all my normal activities, and I feel perfectly fine. I'm only aware of my chin sometimes. I'll occasionally get a little tingle (it's not super painful... but it doesn't feel good either). I'm not going to worry unless it continues for the next month.

All in all I am soooo happy I went through with the surgery and I honestly can't imagine my daily life without the chin. My weak chin consumed so much of my thoughts, that it's such a relief to live every day without being self conscious of how it looks.

If you guys have any questions feel free to comment or private message me!
Dr. Larry Nichter

I had an amazing experience with Dr. Nichter. He is detail-oriented, and extremely knowledgable. I asked him a ton of questions in my consultation and he answered each and every one of them with ease. He made me feel very comfortable and cared for in surgery which was a huge priority for me, as I've never had any sort of surgery. I am beyond happy with my results and can't imagine what would have happened had I gone with another doctor. I would highly recommend him to anyone.