Three capsules on right breast lead me to implant removal….what a roller coaster. - Newport Beach, CA

I'm a 28 year old who got implants put in November...

I'm a 28 year old who got implants put in November 2009. I loved them and was very pleased with how they turned out. About six months later my right breast began to harden and I formed a capsule. I had the capsule removed December 2010. Like before, about six months later-the capsule was back. I was'n ready to have them taken out- so I went in again to have the capsule removed a second time…..unfortunately this time my breast tissue was so thinned out from the other surgeries that they had to put in cadaver to thicken up my tissue. I kept my fingers crossed that things would be different that time. Well……..Here I'm now with the capsule back as usual and I'm finally throwing in the surrender flag. I'm tired of spending the money, going into multiple surgeries and having to go through the recovery almost every year since I've had them done. I got married in August, started graduate school in September and am at a place in my life that I'm finally ready to close the chapter on having huge fake boobs. That being said, I have always struggled with body image issues, and know that this will be an emotional journey for me to walk down. I could use the support of women who have gone down this road ahead of me- and know what its like to go through these changes in body image.

night before implant removal. eeekkk!

nervous is am understatement

day of surgery

i hurt :((( im glad the pain is only on the side that had the capsule, but it still sucks. my PS removed ALOT of scar tissue she said-and that pain is expected.

Before implant and capsule removal

3 days post surgery

Drain removed today……Im trying to not cry when I look at my breasts.

Someone tell me this will only be a phase!

Swelling is going down but this indent thing under my right nipple is freaking me out. Does this go away? Anyone else have this? ahh! Why is my left boob always doing good things…..but my right breast is like its evil twin…it just refuses to do be normal under any circumstance.

Why do my boobs look so uneven! Anyone else have this happen?

I am not as depressed as I was last time I posted….But I hate that my boobs look so different from one another. The one that had the capsule is all smashed in and has a huge indent under my nipple. My left one looks all natural and normal. I'd love to talk to some of you women that had an outcome of two different looking breasts. I just need some hope or someone to tell me what they did.

2 weeks post op

Saw my doctor today. Everything seems to be going well. No infections, no fluid build up and my incisions are healed. I still have bruising, swelling and mild pain on my right breast but Dr. Chong said that she expected that with how gnarly my capsule was. I was given the green light to start massaging my incisions with oil and massaging my crease under my right nipple to try and smooth it out. I feel like all the news she gave me was positive and my Doc has been so gentle with me, but for some reason I got in my car and balled my eyes out. I feel hopeful and am in a much better place with how I feel about my results, but then I still have moments where I feel like Im grieving my "idealized version of myself" and trying to find acceptance that I am just as valuable and loved with boobs or with no boobs- This whole process has really made me look head on at how I perceive myself, and to see how fragile yet magnificent our bodies are in how they heal and change. Even though I had a break down and moments of self pity earlier today…..Tonight I'm full of gratitude and looking forward to 2014. Happy New Year all you beautiful ladies, and thank you for all the support and love. Its been a blessing. God bless all you xoxo

New Bras?!

have I mentioned how excited I am to go buy some cute and sexy new bras! I have not been able to wear a "normal" bra in soooo long!!!! I think I threw out over 6 worn out sport bras that I've been living in since 2009 (YUCK!) I walked through Victoria Secret yesterday just to get inspired haha. Ladies, I can't wait for the day that I ONLY pull out a sports bra when I'm planning on working out, not because I'm getting dressed for an ordinary day in the morning. It bothered my capsulated breast to be in normal bras before, and I also felt like I looked like a stripper when they showed, or I felt my fake breasts made me look heavier than I really am. Today I looked in the mirror at my slender body and petite chest and actually said out loud, "I've missed me!" Even though I have moments of frustration and dislike towards the results…..I think this whole process of healing has been a beautiful and needed experience for me.

22 days after surgery

Still sad that I have a strange right breast with so much tissue gone and an indent. uhhhhhhggg
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

I love my Dr. she's amazing and has been wonderful to me.

Hi Lady... How are you doing?? I wanted to let you know that I had my explant and my right breast is doing the exact same thing as yours is doing!! Did yours ever resolve? How are you healing now? Im very interested... xoxo
Hey :) I'm glad to see you are doing good !!! Hey I recommend to go to a sauna ... It helps the trauma side get better :) it is working for me
OHH thank you for the tip! I'll maybe go this Tuesday. Im almost a month post op. and am still sore on my right side. My PS must have done some serious cutting away at that stupid capsule because I am a little swollen on my right side too in one spot. I feel good other than that though. Sauna here I come!
Did your doctor tell you to massage? Sending you healing vibes!
Yes she did. she said to massage the incision scars and all over my breasts- but especially on the crease under my right nipple.
Hey :) have you tried using transparent tape to help your breast go where you need it? They will continue to heal :) do You have scar tissue under the right one?
No I asked my PS if I should use tape and she said no…..? I think I may have to just try it anyways though at some point if I can't get that crease to smooth out with only massaging. On my right breast I had 3 capsules removed total since 2009 and the second time I went under the knife she added cadaver on the under part of my breast because my tissue was so thinned out. I think this is why it is smaller and misshapen. I knew that it would look different than my other breast because of all the trauma the right side got over the years, but my goal is to just smooth out the crease under my nipple (that a lot of women on here say they get) The size and shape of my right side will always be smaller and different- but In a bra no one will know :) I'm actually two different cup sizes. my left boob is a C and my right side is a B haha. I told my husband its like he gets to be with two different women every time I take my shirt off :)) jk
You poor thing! What an incredibly strong woman you are though!! Love love your attitude! The tape definitely helped me out.. I never asked my PS if I should use it though
hmmm I may take ur lead. Did you wear the tape all day long, or just for small periods of time? and…..thank you. Yea my body was never a fan of those fake boobs. U would think after one capsule formed I would have thrown in the towel- but sometimes I learn things the hard way.
I wore it all day, took it off at night :)
Thanks so much for the encouragement you posted on my post! Looking at your review, I feel more secure in my decision! You look great! I can only hope mine will look as good when the implants come out.
Thank you so much! I'm still healing (emotional and physical) its not an easy process, but I have no regrets taking them out!
Uggh.. the sports bra issue... Yes, I am so excited to get rid of mine too... so happy everything is going well and cant wait for more amazing updates.. Keep them coming.. It gives me hope every time I read them... My consult is coming up with Dr. Chong and I cant wait. :)
So excited for you and can't wait to hear how your consult goes with her. You're in good hands :)
I know... me too. I just hope I can afford her if I decide to use her. :/
For all the capsule removals she did on me before taking them out- I always borrowed from friends and family, and used credit cards (all paid off now thank God). It seemed crazy at the time, and agains what I would have wanted to do- but I always made it work…..:U can do it girl!
Love love your update!!! I feel the same as you... I'm so over sports bras! I'm so happy you're happy ;))))))
Yep the adhesions keeping your breast puckered will let go and you'll be even and loving it
Congrats, I think that one is going to drop & fluff up. Just give it time. Try to keep the sports bra on for another month though, to help you heal, shrink back up. I just started experimenting with bras myself. Lately. Check out my pics of how big I was :-0. I'm getting compliments left & right about how slim I look. LOL!
Holy smokes lady! Your natural breasts look beautiful!! I think they fit your body so much nicer than those implants. It does make you look thinner! Thank you also for your words of encouragement. I'll be in a sports bra for at least two more weeks (doctors orders ) :) In the mean time, I can live vicariously through your shopping sprees on bras! Happy shopping! :)
Awww your update gave me the chills! I totally get you lady. Keep your chin up! Xx
xoxo thank you! U've been my #1 cheer leader on here for sure. Thank you so much. I know I've said it a few times now, but I'm very thankful for you.
I see Dr. Chong was your surgeon, shes very reassuring and is right about how things are going to turn out. You should ask her of any concerns you may have, dont be afraid. I had many complications with them out and she has been very right about everything, from my indentations, to my infection, and my misshapen breasts. I still have more questions and have my follow up soon so I can get more answers. All I can tell you is it takes a lot of time to see some changes my advice don't judge yet, otherwise you will be incredibly upset like I was, but we all go through it don't worry. I think your breast will relax over time and will look almost like your other breast, not identical though. If you had areola incisions for BA, thats probably why it is indented, it might be scar tissue pulling it in. I was told to massage but my situation is worse than yours so I think you will be fine. Always remind yourself that at least you will never have to deal with implant complications again, youre natural and beautiful now :)
Thank Thank Thank you. I am so grateful for your post. I see Dr. Chong tomorrow, which i'm really looking forward to. I'm glad to hear you say that despite the fact that you had complications, that you still saw change over time and are happy with your decision to have the implants gone. I had my implants put in through my nipples, so I think you are right about maybe the scar tissue pulling in my nipple. I called last week and Dr. Chong said not to massage or do anything at that point. I think its because I'm still too soon post op. implant/ capsule removal. Cant wait to hear what she says tomorrow. Thank you for giving me hope. Did you have her do a lift or fat graft to help reshape your breasts…..or did you let them do their natural thing after explant?
Yes she is right, you cannot massage just yet, I believe I massaged at 1 mth. And still do til this day, they are still very sore and it makes me nauseous when I massage because its a weird feeling. I am 2mths post op and I also had some of my capsule removed and had 1 drain, no fat grafting, no lift. I will post pics soon.