Three capsules on right breast lead me to implant removal….what a roller coaster. - Newport Beach, CA

I'm a 28 year old who got implants put in November...

I'm a 28 year old who got implants put in November 2009. I loved them and was very pleased with how they turned out. About six months later my right breast began to harden and I formed a capsule. I had the capsule removed December 2010. Like before, about six months later-the capsule was back. I was'n ready to have them taken out- so I went in again to have the capsule removed a second time…..unfortunately this time my breast tissue was so thinned out from the other surgeries that they had to put in cadaver to thicken up my tissue. I kept my fingers crossed that things would be different that time. Well……..Here I'm now with the capsule back as usual and I'm finally throwing in the surrender flag. I'm tired of spending the money, going into multiple surgeries and having to go through the recovery almost every year since I've had them done. I got married in August, started graduate school in September and am at a place in my life that I'm finally ready to close the chapter on having huge fake boobs. That being said, I have always struggled with body image issues, and know that this will be an emotional journey for me to walk down. I could use the support of women who have gone down this road ahead of me- and know what its like to go through these changes in body image.

It is a difficult and emotional decision. I sympathize. It took me 6 years of denial to get to that point. It was ultimately my PS who educated me as to why CC happens, encouraged me to research this further and I finally saw the light and had my DD boobs removed. I found this website extremely helpful and have had lots of support from women on this site. I opted for fat grafting to at least have " something" which may be an option that you could look at if you are unhappy with your explant results, but if you do you need to find an experienced and skilled surgeon. I wish you lots of luck with this journey.
I asked my Dr. about the fat grafting and she talked me out of it. Did you do that at the same times as your implant removal, or did have the removal and then later on went in and had the fat graft? My PS said I didn't have enough fat to do a graft like that so it would be cadaver. I've already had cadaver added in my capsulated breast the last time they replaced the implant- but that was to only because my natural tissue was so thinned out from the capsule removals. I didn't put this in my original post, but due to the capsule i was also experiencing nipple discharge (kinda clear yellowish color) from the pressure of the capsule. I went to Hoag Breast Center in Newport Beach to get a second opinion and they confirmed it was that stupid capsule. I can't wait for that to go away!

You definitely have our support! I know this can be a tough decision with the uncertainty of what you'll look like. Have you read this post by Green Temple about her experience? It's a great one.

Please keep us updated throughout this journey. There are so many wonderful women in this community here to virtually hold your hand.

night before implant removal. eeekkk!

nervous is am understatement

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

day of surgery

i hurt :((( im glad the pain is only on the side that had the capsule, but it still sucks. my PS removed ALOT of scar tissue she said-and that pain is expected.

Congratulations on being implant free! It only gets better from here.
Yay for Implant free. I too have severe capsular contracture and can not wait to get mine out. Im sure there is going to be a lot of scraping here too... Im scared. Everyone on this site has been incredibly helpful... I have a consult with Dr Chong on Jan 6th. Im excited to meet with her. However, she does not take my insurance so I will be paying out of pocket. I guess its worth it though is she is the best. I will keep you posted. Happy you got yours out. Keep us posted!
Its an emotional ride for sure, but I am glad they are out. Dr. Chong is wonderful. When you meet her- you will feel so relieved. She is worth the money. She has made a big difference in my decision to take them out- and helping me through the past few days of healing. I couldn't use my insurance either, but since Dr. Chong did my implants originally, and removed my right capsule twice- I wanted her to be the one to take them out for good too. I go in today to have my drain taken out (THANK GOD!) You have so much support on this site and I want to say it takes a lot of courage to reach out. Feel free to message me anytime if you need to talk or vent.

Before implant and capsule removal

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

3 days post surgery

Drain removed today……Im trying to not cry when I look at my breasts.

I know, it's pretty hard the first week or so, but believe me when I say it does get easier. You will probably continue to have ups and downs for awhile, at least I still am. But for me the first week was the worst because of the shock of seeing my breasts for the first time and trying to adjust to such a drastic change in my appearance. But your breasts will continue to heal and fluff up and brighter days are coming, so hang in there! Hope you can take comfort in the fact you aren't alone - we all know how you are feeling and we are going through it, too. Big hugs!
Congratulations! I can relate exactly on how you feel, my drains came off today as well and it was very hard to look at myself in the mirror. The first three days were the hardest for me, it was very hard to remember why I wanted the implants out in the first place. But little by little I am starting to feel the relief of being implant free. You are beautiful and you don't need those plastic bags! By what I am reading they have been giving you more trouble than anything. The media portrays and image of 'beauty' that causes insecurity in us, but real beauty is more than large breasts. I know how you feel. But remember that you are beautiful and learning to close the chapter of 'fake boobs' will be liberating. I am here if you need to chat, I am also going through a hard time with adjusting, so what I am telling you ...I am telling myself as well.
take heart that your sad breast will be SOOSOO happy soon

Someone tell me this will only be a phase!

Swelling is going down but this indent thing under my right nipple is freaking me out. Does this go away? Anyone else have this? ahh! Why is my left boob always doing good things…..but my right breast is like its evil twin…it just refuses to do be normal under any circumstance.

Congrats, you look so much better!!!!
Merry Christmas!!xx hope you're keeping your spirits up :))
I know it can seem discouraging now, but I have seen so many cases on this site where the indention resolves over time. Sometimes it happens rather quickly and sometimes it can take up to a year. Be patient....your breasts will continue to change a lot over the next 6 months....but like I said I have seen improvements still happening close to the year in some people.

Why do my boobs look so uneven! Anyone else have this happen?

I am not as depressed as I was last time I posted….But I hate that my boobs look so different from one another. The one that had the capsule is all smashed in and has a huge indent under my nipple. My left one looks all natural and normal. I'd love to talk to some of you women that had an outcome of two different looking breasts. I just need some hope or someone to tell me what they did.

I see Dr. Chong was your surgeon, shes very reassuring and is right about how things are going to turn out. You should ask her of any concerns you may have, dont be afraid. I had many complications with them out and she has been very right about everything, from my indentations, to my infection, and my misshapen breasts. I still have more questions and have my follow up soon so I can get more answers. All I can tell you is it takes a lot of time to see some changes my advice don't judge yet, otherwise you will be incredibly upset like I was, but we all go through it don't worry. I think your breast will relax over time and will look almost like your other breast, not identical though. If you had areola incisions for BA, thats probably why it is indented, it might be scar tissue pulling it in. I was told to massage but my situation is worse than yours so I think you will be fine. Always remind yourself that at least you will never have to deal with implant complications again, youre natural and beautiful now :)
Thank Thank Thank you. I am so grateful for your post. I see Dr. Chong tomorrow, which i'm really looking forward to. I'm glad to hear you say that despite the fact that you had complications, that you still saw change over time and are happy with your decision to have the implants gone. I had my implants put in through my nipples, so I think you are right about maybe the scar tissue pulling in my nipple. I called last week and Dr. Chong said not to massage or do anything at that point. I think its because I'm still too soon post op. implant/ capsule removal. Cant wait to hear what she says tomorrow. Thank you for giving me hope. Did you have her do a lift or fat graft to help reshape your breasts…..or did you let them do their natural thing after explant?
Yes she is right, you cannot massage just yet, I believe I massaged at 1 mth. And still do til this day, they are still very sore and it makes me nauseous when I massage because its a weird feeling. I am 2mths post op and I also had some of my capsule removed and had 1 drain, no fat grafting, no lift. I will post pics soon.

2 weeks post op

Saw my doctor today. Everything seems to be going well. No infections, no fluid build up and my incisions are healed. I still have bruising, swelling and mild pain on my right breast but Dr. Chong said that she expected that with how gnarly my capsule was. I was given the green light to start massaging my incisions with oil and massaging my crease under my right nipple to try and smooth it out. I feel like all the news she gave me was positive and my Doc has been so gentle with me, but for some reason I got in my car and balled my eyes out. I feel hopeful and am in a much better place with how I feel about my results, but then I still have moments where I feel like Im grieving my "idealized version of myself" and trying to find acceptance that I am just as valuable and loved with boobs or with no boobs- This whole process has really made me look head on at how I perceive myself, and to see how fragile yet magnificent our bodies are in how they heal and change. Even though I had a break down and moments of self pity earlier today…..Tonight I'm full of gratitude and looking forward to 2014. Happy New Year all you beautiful ladies, and thank you for all the support and love. Its been a blessing. God bless all you xoxo

Awww your update gave me the chills! I totally get you lady. Keep your chin up! Xx
xoxo thank you! U've been my #1 cheer leader on here for sure. Thank you so much. I know I've said it a few times now, but I'm very thankful for you.

New Bras?!

have I mentioned how excited I am to go buy some cute and sexy new bras! I have not been able to wear a "normal" bra in soooo long!!!! I think I threw out over 6 worn out sport bras that I've been living in since 2009 (YUCK!) I walked through Victoria Secret yesterday just to get inspired haha. Ladies, I can't wait for the day that I ONLY pull out a sports bra when I'm planning on working out, not because I'm getting dressed for an ordinary day in the morning. It bothered my capsulated breast to be in normal bras before, and I also felt like I looked like a stripper when they showed, or I felt my fake breasts made me look heavier than I really am. Today I looked in the mirror at my slender body and petite chest and actually said out loud, "I've missed me!" Even though I have moments of frustration and dislike towards the results…..I think this whole process of healing has been a beautiful and needed experience for me.

Uggh.. the sports bra issue... Yes, I am so excited to get rid of mine too... so happy everything is going well and cant wait for more amazing updates.. Keep them coming.. It gives me hope every time I read them... My consult is coming up with Dr. Chong and I cant wait. :)
So excited for you and can't wait to hear how your consult goes with her. You're in good hands :)
I know... me too. I just hope I can afford her if I decide to use her. :/

22 days after surgery

Still sad that I have a strange right breast with so much tissue gone and an indent. uhhhhhhggg

Hi Lady... How are you doing?? I wanted to let you know that I had my explant and my right breast is doing the exact same thing as yours is doing!! Did yours ever resolve? How are you healing now? Im very interested... xoxo
Hey :) I'm glad to see you are doing good !!! Hey I recommend to go to a sauna ... It helps the trauma side get better :) it is working for me
OHH thank you for the tip! I'll maybe go this Tuesday. Im almost a month post op. and am still sore on my right side. My PS must have done some serious cutting away at that stupid capsule because I am a little swollen on my right side too in one spot. I feel good other than that though. Sauna here I come!
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

I love my Dr. she's amazing and has been wonderful to me.