48 & decided it's time - Newport Beach, CA

Just starting my journey. First consult will be on...

Just starting my journey. First consult will be on 8/4. Lots of questions and concerns. Reading posts but would like to learn more from others my age. 48 w/ 3 kids - 21, 17 & 10. All breastfed. I'm flat & barrel-chested, meaning big ribcage. I weigh 138 lbs. & in moderately good shape. No thyroid!!!

Questions piling up

I'm still a few weeks out from first consult and compiling questions. Maybe the RS community can help? I'm wondering if I develop medical issues related to the BA surgery, would that be covered by medical insurance? Second, does anyone have advice on how to talk to the kids about BA? My boys are 17 & 10 and I'm unsure how to approach the subject with them. Thanks for your help

Great news today!

Saw my endocrinologist today. For the first time in 18 months my thyroid levels are NORMAL; I've lost 6 lbs since March; I'm feeling fantastic and she said there's no medical reason I can't get breast augmentation. I am so relieved ... and happy!

Waiting to kiss the padding goodbye!

Lingerie, here I come! My husband is going to think he's died and gone to heaven

13 doctors responded - very helpful!

I posted these pics to see if I need a lift along with implants and all 13 said no or very likely not. I hope the consensus is right! Hooray!

3 days to consults

Finally just a few days out from 1st consults on 8/4 and 8/6. Can't wait to get educated and hear suggestions for my body size and shape. 137 lbs today; hope to be 135 by Monday. Want to choose a PS and have surgery sometime in early Sept. so I'm ready for some holiday glamour!!

Wish boobs

As I selected these photos over the last few weeks and now look at them all together, they all look pretty similar, so ... I think I know what I want??

1st consult tomorrow; hope I ask the right Qs!

Anxious and excited. One thing this whole journey has given me is a better perspective on my body TODAY. I hadn't really LOOKED at myself in a long time because I've gotten older and things gave ... changed. But all the discussion and images on this site help me realize how unique all our bodies are, and that lots of women are similar to me in shape and size. No one is perfect. We're all just looking for something that makes us happy and comfortable with the image we project. I love my legs and my eyes; I dislike my chest. I'm ready to change that. Here's a pic of me now, and what I hope to look like in a couple months. Wish me luck tomorrow! Xo

One consult down; two to go

Met with a wonderful PS today. She answered all my Qs - most before I asked. She and her nurse spent total 1.5 hours with me. Absolutely no rush or hard sell. I went in thinking teardrop shaped Sientra but when I tried them on I preferred the textured Mentor. Her recommendation was 350 mod+ profile under muscle. What do u think?

My fortune

Tonight I took my son out for Chinese and this was MY fortune - I almost died. Check it out! :)

Fortune cookie says ...

Check out my fortune with tonight's dinner ...

Consult #2 8/6 @ 10a

Meeting with a male PS in Irvine. I chose him from Real Self based on his reviews and the way he answers posted questions. I'm a little anxious about seeing a male for this procedure but I'm sure he'll be great. Update tomorrow.

Consult #2 complete

Now I'm in a pickle! I really liked this male PS too. The office experience was better today, but only because the woman helping me with sizing was my age, had implants, we had lots in common etc. The other gal was 20 something. Sweet but we didn't relate. Again we landed on 350 silicone unders. Now the Q is smooth or textured - any thoughts ladies? He says smooth is the standard in the US and I would do very well with those, but textured stays in place better over time. That seems important as we age, right?? Here are my ghastly 3D images. Not for shape but volume I guess. And one other difference - he can take me as early as 2 weeks! Yikes! And cost differential was only $100, but I'd get a RealSelf discount. :))))

Help me decide?

325s vs 350s. Which size is right for me? Which one looks most natural? Know I am going silicone under muscle, so apparently will lose small amount of volume. Would love opinions!! Thanks RealSelfers :))

Decision made; surgery booked

After reading, visiting, thinking, talking and praying I've decided to go with Dr. Andrew Smith in Irvine. He put me totally at ease and answered all my Qs. I like that he's involved in many types of reconstructive surgery - not just elective - and travels the globe to offer his expertise. Also, UCLA forever! Katrina and the office staff are just great. Very flexible with my schedule, helped me set up mammo and all the rest. Mammo 8/22; pre op 8/27; surgery 9/4, God willing! Continuing to consider size. Don't have to decide until pre-op. Bought a hoodie today for post-op comfort. 23 days 'til Stella gets her groove back!! :)

My excitement is short-lived

BA surgery postponed. My youngest got hurt last night at football and will be having wrist surgery tomorrow. Now I'll have 2 injured football players at home to care for. I'll reschedule for later in Sept or Oct when things settle down. Feeling overwhelmed right now. Funny, when I posted yesterday somewhere deep inside I knew it wasn't going to happen that fast. Wasn't meant to be. Thx for the support! Sigh ...

Take two! Hoping to reschedule surgery

Knee & wrist surgeries completed successfully. Mom's boys are on the mend, so going to try it again. Mammogram on 8/22, then heading back to Dr. Smith's office to try on sizers. Feeling very unsure of size choice as I've seen women my height / weight getting anywhere from 275s to 500+ ... and they all look great. Plan to spend more time this go 'round with the sizers. Purchased several (cheap) 38C sports bras tonight (my wish size), and some comfy lounging clothes too. Fingers crossed I get there this time!!

Selfies can be deceiving

I tried tonight to take some "before" shots prior to Friday appt, but they are somewhat deceiving. I kind of look booby in the full body shot, but I'm not. You can see I have a "boyish, sturdy build" - wow, how flattering ... not! Can't wait to look more feminine!

Surgery scheduled! It's official.

Surgery scheduled 9/18 @ 11a. Deposit paid. Pre-op Wed 9/3. It's happening!! Have "date night" with my daughter (age 21) and sis-in-law tomorrow night and will share the news. Hope THAT goes well. Had my mammogram today and breast ultrasound. No concerns that I know of; they said ultrasound is standard protocol now. Results on Monday. Was told I still have very dense breast tissue at 48, which hopefully means it will help support the implant well?? Know I want mod+ textured Mentors under the muscle. But size?? Oy! Tried on 325, 350 and 375 again. I need opinions. Help!!!! Thx RealSelfers

Another couple of boxes checked!

Got a call from radiologist today with the "ok" on the mammogram. A couple of benign cysts detected, which is very typical for me. They will repeat in 6 months to compare baselines. I was happy when I realized she knew I was pre-op but didn't know for what. When I told her breast aug with Dr Smith she told me she'd known him for years and what wonderful work he does. Patients always very happy, great bedside manner, etc. Despite the cysts, which come and go, she said there's no reason not to move forward. Check! Also ... told my grown daughter and sister in law over the wknd. Both very supportive and said, "Why not?" I asked my husband to tell my 17 year old son, just because it would be obvious and awkward when I come home from surgery. He apparently said, "Thanks for telling me, and now I don't ever want to talk about Mom's boobs again." :)

Bought and paid for!

Had my pre-op today. Came away feeling so happy and confident in my choice of doctor! He and his staff are wonderful. I filled out all the final paperwork, paid the balance, took the dreaded "before" shots, then met with Dr. Smith at length to discuss surgery, sizing, my expectations, recovery, etc. I asked his opinion on my 350 decision. He said with Sientra textured (not Mentor as I originally thought) it's actually 355, then the next step up is 388 (I believe). He said I could easily support the larger size and if I will allow him to make that choice, he'll decide during surgery. I think I'm OK with that? We discussed my mammo results and he assured me that after BA the pics are just as good and easy to read, they just take them differently (no compression). So, the countdown is on! In 15 days I'll be the new & improved me. Feels like Christmastime! Super excited, can't wait!

BA postponed ... again.

Hi y'all. BA surgery postponed again. My poor, sweet son is in the hospital with a serious post-op infection. He can't win! My BA was supposed to be next Thur., but timing is all wrong. He's improving but 1) he'll need my undivided attention to get well and back to school, and 2) I want BA to be a positive experience for me, not a rush to get it done when I can't focus on healing. So, it's on to October. Waiting to hear from office manager on available dates. If I was superstitious I'd think maybe it's not meant to be? Luckily, I'm not!! :)

Let's hope 3rd time's a charm

Rescheduled for 10/16, a month from next Tues. Please God in the meantime I can get my son well and back to school. He came home with a pic line and will get IV antibiotics every day for the next 40 days. He needed 2 surgeries to remove the infection. Please keep us in your prayers!

Counting down to boobs by Halloween!

Life is getting back to normal in my house. BA is less than 4 weeks away. Feels like I've been waiting forever! Can't stop looking at all the great results on RealSelf. Thank u to all u ladies who are willing to share your pics and stories. Starting to collect what I need - filled my Rx for antibiotics and pain reliever, plus got the antibacterial soap for night before and day of surgery. Ordered sleeping wedge on Amazon and purchased a couple soft sports bras. Recently had some friends pop in while we were enjoying the pool. They've never seen me in a bikini and I was so embarrassed - they now know I look like a 14 year old boy in a swimsuit - no waist and no boobs! We are traveling together in the spring - boy will they be surprised! :) Need to come up with a sexy Halloween costume now. Woot! Woot!

9 days and counting

At least that's what it says on my "backwards countdown calendar." Still vacillating on size (350 vs 325) but hoping Dr. Smith will make the final decision for me based on my objectives. I have put a few things together for the big day, but not much: comfy pillow, Hibiclens for night b4 and day of, then the two Rx (hydrocodone for pain and cephalexin antibiotic). I realize my biggest fear is this: I know they'll look great eventually in the buff, but I'm worried about the practicality of dressing them in everyday clothes. I mean I do not work in a t-shirt & tank top environment! My Fortune 30 company will not appreciate cleavage from here to next week! I guess it's a leap of faith? I really want to do it for a variety of reasons; I just pray it's not an unmanageable mistake in the end. Cheers!

Photos not posting

Will try again later. Last round of befores to upload but keep getting an error message

Spending the day with the boys from Jersey

Tomorrow hubby and I Te heading into Los Angeles to see Jersey Boys as a late 25th anniversary date. I'm wearing a cute LBD, but sure wish I had the boobs to put in it! By this time, in 5 days, I will. Can't wait, super excited!

Tomorrow is the big day!

I cannot believe it's here. It's been a long journey since I found y'all in July. After three reschedules, I'll finally be on the table at 10a tomorrow for the new & improved me. I've been a donkey on the edge lately - my life turned upside down! - but my husband helped me to realize there's never a good time or an easy time. I just need to go for it because it's what I want. And Katrina from Dr. Smiths office called today and put me 100% at ease. Said I'll be surprised at how good I'll feel afterward. It's all I needed. My mind and body are right. I'm ready. See you on the other side!

On the other side

Hi all. Quick update. I'm home resting, but "comfortably" would be an overstatement. Ouch!! Started off kind of dicey when 2 nurses could not get an IV started after 3 tries - both hands and one arm. Learned they prefer the hand cuz the arm IV can get in the way of surgery prep. But the anesthesiologist was able to do it easily and like everyone else says, I drifted off to sleep and woke up with breasts! Very sore! Feels like two boulders. The pain is high up on the chest and radiates into the armpit. Hard to lift my arms. Sleeping a lot. Back to doc tomorrow and will update with the specifics. Thanks for all the well wishes :)

Post op day 2 update

Here's the final stats:
-5'5", 132 lbs, age 48
-Sientra textured, mod profile
-Ended up with 355 cc left / 325 cc right, under muscle
Put me in a strap today to help push them down into pocket. Said to wear as much as I can tolerate. Still very sore but maybe a little less than yesterday? Doctor Smith said the surgery was "uneventful" and everything looks perfect. Hard to tell because they are so high and swollen, but I think my worries about them being too big we're unfounded. I think I'm going to be very happy.

Day 2 post op update

Let's see ... Sleeping pretty well with the help of painkillers. Definitely still high and tight feeling - exactly like when your milk comes in but without the relief or nursing! Pain in the center of my back sort of comes and goes. Ivan wear the strap for a couple hours at a time then need some relief. BUT I think they r going to be really pretty eventually and I'm very happy with the size.

Day 3 - very happy!

Promise I will not keep posting pics every day cuz the changes are subtle and enoughs enough, right? I switched to extra strength Tylenol today as I need to be clear-headed for work tomorrow. Went for a morning drive and swept the kitchen. That proved to be enough activity for one morning. Back to doctor on Friday so we'll see if I get to start massaging. Still very firm but I'm extremely pleased so far. My husbands eyes pop out of his head every time he sees them. :)

Day 5 and I can't help myself ...

I'm not getting much feedback from the community (thank u, midlife!), but I can't help myself from posting. I'm so happy with the results and feeling better each day. I finally feel like a sexy woman!

Major bruise improvement and ...

Big difference in bruising from day 1 to day 6. Stitches removed on Friday and hopefully out of the surgi-bra. // On zulily.com today there are very affordable pasties and strapless bras galore under Fashion Fix-it Solutions. Going back to work today and needed the bra petals FOR SURE!

Anybody else experience this?

1 week post op appt tomorrow, but wonder if anyone else has this: a constant ache right BETWEEN my breasts. It's the sternum I guess. Not sharp, but a dull pain that almost won't allow me to take a full, deep breath in. Radiates up into my clavicle. Much more sore than my actual breasts. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hives!

Woke up this morning covered in hives - bad! Went to urgent care and got a shot of epinephrine and an oral steroid. I asked "could it be a reaction to the implants?" He said more likely the antibiotic cephalexin, but odd because been off it for 8 days now. Not a food or environmental allergy. Said very unlikely it's the implants - it just wouldn't happen that fast. I called PS to inform, just in case. I said it's prob stress for sure. Still loving the boobs tho!!

Two weeks yesterday - not much change?

Hi RS community! Been MIA for a bit but wanted to do a 2-week post. Still dealing with the (assumed) cephlex reaction and heard it make take several weeks to fully clear. Wish someone could tell me it's for certain not the implants themselves that I am allergic to. I guess only time will tell? But six docs have said very very unlikely. So I'm posting a 1 to 2 week photo. Any difference? Either way I am thrilled and am filling a 36C nicely. Was told 4-6 months for final results with Sientra textured implants. Happy Halloween to any who celebrates it!

Hive free! And some updated pictures

Was taken off the steroids today. Watch for 2 days and if no rebound breakout it was very likely the antibiotic. Finally going back to the office tomorrow and getting back to life! Hope all is well with u great gals!

5 weeks - it's a journey! Very happy.

So I was 5 weeks yesterday. Took a picture 5 weeks vs 2 weeks. Don't see much change but PS says with textured implants they are MUCH slower to drop and fluff. It's 4/6 months, not weeks. To be honest I'm very happy and don't really care if they D&F, but I do want them to soften up. Right now cleavage is only a dream. Cannot push them together. They stay very firmly in place no matter what I am doing, which is exactly why I chose textured. At my 4 week check up on 19th I was basically released to do whatever I want - exercise, jacuzzi, enjoy - no limitations. I go back end of Jan, then annually after that. I'm participating in a 10yr Sientra study to track health, durability and all that. Other than that, I told a friend I cannot stop buying bras! Before BA I owned exactly three. Now I have 11 and counting. :) Confidence in my body has soared! Happy healing and good health to all on the boogie blog. Keep posting!

Better comparison picture

Here's a before and after at 5 weeks

Happy Thanksgiving from Cali!

Typical SoCal turkey day "eve" - got everything teed up for tomorrow, and catching a few rays with my best pal before sun slips away. Wishing a happy, peaceful and abundant Thanksgiving to all you lovely ladies!!

Can't believe its only been 8 weeks

Feels like surgery was months ago now. Back to life as normal. Implants are a non-issue except for the occasional pain in my armpit. I can hide them or show them off, which was exactly what I wanted to achieve. I think they r a good size and shape for me. It's the gift that keeps on giving, for sure. Happy Holidays to all!
Andrew Smith MD

Dr. Smith and his staff were amazing. They worked with me through several unavoidable reschedules without any pressure. Dr. Smith took his time answering my questions and offered his expertise when I questioned my decisions about implant size and type. Katrina coordinates the office visits and all the details. She reached out several times to me on a personal level to make sure I was feeling good about all the details. My experience was nothing but positive and my results to date are beautiful. I'd highly recommend Dr Smith and his staff to anyone.