Going with Dr. Agha! - Newport Beach, CA

I've lost (almost) 150 pounds, and I'll lose...

I've lost (almost) 150 pounds, and I'll lose another 10-15 plus before surgery. I've already had a panniculectomy, brachioplasty and lipo. I've met the best plastic surgeons in Nor Cal. As wonderful and amazing as they are, they don't specialize in reconstructing women after massive weight loss.

I've done lots of research. I'm that way. I'd seen a lot of photos for doctors in SoCal. I tried contacting Dr. Katzen's office and his office person never sent me the information she promised. I felt like I was bugging her. I tried 3 times. I couldn't access his photos on my iPad. I gave up. I'd seen YouTube videos of Dr. Agha. I looked at his dramatic photos and read his Realself reviews. I contacted his office and was dealt with in the most professional manner by Schad (spelling?). We set up an appointment and she even called me back to follow up on any additional questions.

I arrived at Dr. Agha's office and there was a huge leather bound book with lots of pictures. Schad is wonderful.

Dr. Agha permeates the office with his energy. Love is in the details, and this office has it in spades. I had a nice visit with him in which he showed me in front of a large mirror how dramatic my results would be. He asked me to lose ten more pounds.

Here's what I was most impressed with: in the past when I've met other plastic surgeons, they've made unnecessary comments such as "don't expect to look like Cindy Crawford." Or they've looked disappointed or some such. Usually, I've left their office with a feeling of defeatedness. Dr. Agha told me we could go for a ten.

I left his office even more motivated to continue my journey. I've come to realize that my plastic surgeon and his team is part of the support system I need to arrive at my goals, and also that having high standards is a good thing.

I'm going to do a two-stage body lift. The first is an upper body, and the second is a lower body. I'm not totally decided on each proceedure exactly. I'll discuss this more in my next post.
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Dear Beautifulmommasita, how are you? Did you have your surgery?
Hi, I came across this review and thought of you. Perhaps you should reach out to this member to get additional details? This isn't the first bad review I see on him and can't help but worry. You're still in time to find another surgeon should you decide to do so.http://www.realself.com/review/corona-del-mar-ca-body-lift-pictures-worth-thousand-words-the-results-speak-for
Hi Jass - i know you didn't direct this towards me, but i felt compelled to answer. There a few bad reviews on Agha - but have you read all the great ones too? Have you seen his "gallery"? He does amazing things with post massive patient bodies too.... I have not made final decisions on plastic surgeon select and Dr. Agha is the one I am MOST conflicted about as he has the absolute BEST gallery - i drool! I have definitely come to the conclusion that plastics are a careful balance of risk/reward. But yes....the reviews of losing your buttock folks and too much skin being taken from arms give me pause too.....
Dear Jass: I was made aware of your comments via email today. It baffles me that you are so against me and my work without even knowing me. I have done over several hundred body lifts since 2005. On average I do about 40 body lifts per year. Body lifts are difficult surgeries and have a higher rates of complications than simpler procedures. The majority of my patients are very happy with their results and I have one of the largest before and after body lift galleries. Furthermore, I have published my rate of complications in a review of over 100 total body lifts in the Journal of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Currently my complication rates is one of the lowest published rates due to the measures that I take pre-operatively and post-operatively. Despite, taking every measure, there will be times that patients are not fully satisfied. These may be as a results of: 1) Complications after surgery 2) Patient's expectation from a procedure 3) Limitations of a surgical technique 4) Previous surgeries 5) Effect of underlying medical condition on the results- example diabetes 6) Patient's non-compliant When a surgeon has example after example of great results and one or two unsatisfied patients, you need to listen to both sides of the story. Unfortunately, as doctors, we can not disclose information about a patient's medical history. In the past, I have refrained from getting into this particular case. Let me just say that the above patient was extremely non-compliant with her after care. With regards to her multiple previous surgeries, she has commented herself. If a patient does not change their dressing, miss their follow ups appointments, show up late for their follow up appointments, does not follow instructions, does not listen to their care giver, they are bound to have openings, infections, poor scarring and a poor result. This is unfortunate for both the surgeon and the patient. But there is more to be said. I am obviously dismayed that I could not get optimal results in this case after multiple attempts. But I can not force a patient to be compliant.
Dr. Agha I have nothing against you as I don't even know you. All I know is what I've read on this site. I was simply sharing that with a fellow member. I also find it unprofessional that you are replying to patients post. The purpose of this forum for us is so that us patients can freely discuss and support each other. You're correct there are always chances of complications with every surgery and surgeon but this particular review didn't speak of common complications. She stated that too much skin was removed the point that she'll need skin graphs. That's not common complications in my opinion. As they say in my country when the river makes noise is because it has water in it. This isn't the first review I've read that has negatives about work done by you. As someone going to have surgery soon I felt compelled to point it out to her. Please don't bother replying back to me as I will not be going back and forth. Oh and you have spies on this site that email you every time someone posts negative about you? Don't buy that.
Jass: I do not have spies. Realself sends all physicians a copy of posts that are made about them. If you feel that is not professional, then you have to take that with Realself. Also, it is not unprofessional for me to respond to your concerns or someone's else and share my views. I have not done this enough in the past when I should have. Whether you care or not, look at her befores first. She had had multiple surgeries by others ( as she has said before on her posts) and my surgery on her was a simple scar revision. Unfortunately her incision opened up due to what I said before.
Dear Jass28, Thank you for your concerns. I see that you feel the need to keep me out of harms way. I have read the many reviews of Dr. Agha, including the one you cite. I have even read reviews on Obesity Help. I have done my research, met with MANY plastic surgeons, had previous successful operations--as I name in this page--and even drove for a consultation with Dr. Agha. I have taken your communication to me into consideration. I am confident with my decision to have my upper body first stage lift with Dr. Agha. I am dilligent with pre-op, as well as post-op care. I will post results when it's the right time to do so. But I will do so. I hope to dazzle our forum here with the results. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers, all surgeries carry risks. With love and kindness, Beautiful Mommasita
Hi Dr. Agha, Can we have a chat soon?
I read a very concerning negative review of him by a patient on ObesityHelp, too. Beyond that, his prices are way more than my surgeon, Dr. Joseph Capella, who actually has done more than 5000 procedures and is world renown.
Check out Dr. Capella's gallery. He does the absolute best work on massive weight loss patients. His gallery is huge with thousands of photos, not just a few perfect ones.
I wish you the best of luck my love.
Hi Bariactic Life, I read yesterday that you were canceling your surgery with Dr. Capella due to negligence on the part of the surgery coordinator--and her reputation for being rude to you and other patients you seemed to know about. Am I confused about this? I hold professionals to high standards and having the patient coordinator lose your medical paperwork as you are directly flying out of state for your surgery seems concerning and I understood your frustration, and therefore, your request for repayment of the $18,000.00 you'd paid. I, like you, do not tolerate rudeness, nor nastiness. My love and prayers are with you for a wonderful resolution. I don't think Shireen at Dr. Agha's would lose your paperwork. So, if you've canceled, I'll keep you honestly up-to-date with my results if you'd like to reconsider Dr. Agha. With love, Beautiful Mommasita
Hi Beautiful, a little bit of a misunderstanding here... I am not canceling my surgery with Dr. Capella. What I wrote was that the surgical coordinator emailed me that she never received my medical clearance and EKG paper work and that the hospital could cancel my surgery if she did not get the paperwork to them by COB Monday (tomorrow). What I told the physician's assistant to Dr. Capella is that I was there when the nurse faxed the paperwork to the office nearly a month ago, and that I had emailed the office twice asking if they had it. So, at this point I am not lifting a finger to help her and if the hospital cancelled my surgery that I could care less and Dr. Capella could refund my $18k, hotel and airfare. What I am not going through with Dr. Capella is my final surgery which would be a facelift, neck lift, and breast implants... But I have not cancelled that because it was never scheduled, only planned. I do wish you well with your surgery and hope that you get everything from it that you desire!!! And of course I will be following your progress. Oh, and I am happy for you that you do not have to deal with an ignorant and nasty surgical coordinator! As for me, this will be the last time that I do. Make no mistake about it, I have told this biotch off in the past and have no qualms about doing it again. However, I won't be going back to a surgeon who allows his staff (whether she is mentally ill or not) to treat patients in this manner. Yes, MANY patients have complained to me about her. It is too bad that they are not able to confront her or at least confront him. Again, good luck! I am at the airport right now in LA, en route from Monterey where I was vacationing to my surgery in NJ. The PA said he would have Dr. Capella call me while I was here but it has been a few hours and I have not received a call. I was prepared to get on a flight home to IN if my surgery was going to be canceled rather than go to NJ. It is nearly midnight in NJ so I am not expecting Dr. C will be calling... I am disappointed. That said, I do not think he will allow my surgery to be cancelled. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!
Thank you, Sweets!!!
Dear My Bariatric Life, I wish you the best. Life is too short for nasty medical coordinators. Please take care. My fingers are crossed for and you're in my prayers for a safe trip and surgical success.
Hi I have similar stats as you. I was 358 and I am now 172 lbs thanks to duodenal switch weightloss surgery. I will finally complete my dream on 10/16 with an lbl, arm lift and breast augmentation with Dr. Capella. I chose him because of his experience with patients like us. And also because I saw first hand how 7 years ago he fixed the mess another surgeon did on my friend in the Dominican Republic. Her arms and tummy were butchered and he made her look great. If he could do that 7 years ago I can't imagine what he can do now with so much more experience. I started my review if you are interested in seeing. Best of luck to you.
Jass28, You are amazing. I love the red dress, but mostly I love how you are beaming in the picture. You've come a long way and rewarding yourself with some body contouring is so right. I am pleased with my decision with Dr. Agha. Honestly, these days we have an embarrassment of riches with the wonderful plastic surgeons we have to choose from, especially those that specialize in plastics after MWL. I will be watching you journey. I'm very excited for you and your transformation.
Good luck! I look forward to following your journey! I am going in for a total body lift on Oct 10 with Dr. Capella. I invite you to follow my journey here: http://www.realself.com/review/ramsey-nj-medial-thigh-lift-lbl-arm-lift-flankplasty-breast-lift-monsplasty I cannot wait to see your transformation!
Hi MBL, I read the link you provided and the article on line with Dr. Capella. I will totally follow you on your journey. Would you mind telling me how tall you are and how much you weighed at your pre-op appointment? And, if you've lost more weight since? I'm really excited for you! I'm going to be following you all the way.
Thank you!!! I am 5'7" and have lost 25-lbs since my tummy tuck and nearly 20-inches. I will PM you with my weight. I guess from years of being a fat girl I still have trouble openly sharing that. I can tell you that I am in size 8 jeans :-)
LOL....we are all the same height! I don't mind? am 5'7" and currently (don't mind sharing ;) MBL - what was your high weight if? I was 366, so my thighs are very damaged - my concern is to deal with a PS that has dealt with massive weight loss akin to the damage i have and see his/her success based on that. Sz 8 is my goal size so i am so sure you have NOTHING to be ashamed of :p
darn it you cannot edit and i am havving issues typing...current weight is 173
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to know my weight before plastics. I had my RNY 10-years ago and I was 285. I think my thighs are gross. He has done work on people who have lost extreme amounts of weight like you. Take a look through his massive photo gallery of before and after. And he has tons more on his computer that he can show you. He will find patients similar to you and show you their before and afters.
Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!