6 Months Post-Op

First of all, thank you all for sharing your...

First of all, thank you all for sharing your experiences with before and after pics!
I am looking for some feedback from past rhinoplasty patients of Dr. Rival - those who had the procedure done in last 1-2 years - cost, recovery time, expectations met, changes from surgery to 12 months post op, etc

I am extremely excited to finally be going ahead with my rhinoplasty as I've wanted this since I was a teenager. I did do a consult with Dr. Rival about 8-9 yrs ago but didn't go through with it as I felt selfish spending the money and I let friends and family talk me out of it. I wish I had gone through with it! Now I am in my late 30's and confident in my decision and have hubby's support - and am not discussing it with anybody else...except in this forum! My nose is fairly big, with a large dorsal hump and a long and droopy tip, I hate it in pictures and have to really pay attention to angles. I'm also considering adding upper blepharoplasty as I've inherited my parents' fleshy and over hanging upper eyelids - I'm not quite certain re the eyelid surgery 'though...as it increases the surgery cost substantially. I will post some pics soon.

Thank you all and looking forward to your feedback!

Had my consult with Dr. Rival, he was quick, and...

Had my consult with Dr. Rival, he was quick, and thorough, he did before and 'after' pics which i have attached along with my own before and after. He thought one of my own 'after' was a little too small (my husband had said the same thing!). But I told Dr. Rival that I wanted a significant reduction and he said he will do as much as possible, but he will be limited due to my thick skin, which is what I was expecting to hear. I booked the surgery for July 17th at his private clinic at a cost of $500 extra, otherwise I'd have to wait until Sept! He advised against upper blepharoplasty due to my dry eyes and previous eye issues. I had lots of questions but didn't remember to ask even half of them! But thanks to all of you, I have most of the answers. Booked time off from work - it'll give me 12 days off, hopefully that'll be enough... So now it's a matter of getting the physical and blood work done, and then waiting ...patiently...I am so excited and nervous...

Wondering if any of you, in hindsight, wished your...

Wondering if any of you, in hindsight, wished your PS was a bit more aggressive with your rhinoplasty?
I've read over and over again that Dr. Rival is more conservative...and I'm hoping for a significant reduction as I don't have a strong chin and have a smaller mouth so I don't want to go through all this and then have my nose still be the focal point of my face!!!

10 Day Post-Op!

10 Day Post-Op and thanks to each one of you I was prepared for pre and post-op experience!
I had crazy, nasty bruising and swelling (the worst bruising on RS!) and still have some bruises but got some new ones on my jawline on day 7 before cast-off! And my upper lip was bruised on the outside and inside - swollen to 3 times its size! Doc said it was due to gravity and healing process. I had been (and still am) taking Vit C, Bromelain, Arnica Montana, and Traumeel!
I am so happy with the results thus far. No amount of make-up will cover my bruises, I tried and it did not work - it looked ridiculous!
Recovery was exactly as I expected as I had read most of all your RealSelfers' recovery reviews so I was prepared :). Thank you guys!
My next follow up is Aug 14 and I'm sure there will be lots of changes between now and then!

More pics

More pics

Day 11 Post-Op

My already oily skin is oilier than ever! I've been managing to control it with oil-blotting papers and Witch Hazel astringent/toner - which work really well. However, the skin on my nose and around the nostrils are peeling like crazy!

Does anyone haps tips for exfoliation? Have you tried microdermabrasion - I read somewhere that this might help?

2 Weeks Post-Op And No One Can Tell ???!!!

Swelling on the nose going down so slowwwwwly now! Still have residual bruising under my eyes and right/left jawline. Tried covering with make-up and went out, saw a family friend who DID NOT NOTICE that my nose changed dramatically!
My own mother-in-law did not notice! And she sees me a few times a week over a decade now! This is awesome! Hardly anybody knows...
I was always shocked when I'd read your reviews here on RealSelf that no one noticed your rhinoplasty- but until it happens to you, it's hard to believe! Strange but true!
Re recovery: my nostrils are uneven so I'm hoping it's from all the swelling. Still a bit congested, using saline spray 3-5 x day, still using Traumeel and Arnica Gel. Just getting impatient with these darn bruises!

3 Weeks Post-Op ...And Still Bruises ???!!!

Still got these darn bruises! I guess that's what happens when you're in your late 30's ... alright, ok... let's be honest... when you're pushing 40 ;)
But everything else is going as expected, bridge is still swollen but doesn't look that bad - I was expecting way worse! Using lip balm constantly as I'm mostly mouth breathing - got them stashed on my desk, my purse, in bathroom, bedroom, kitchen? Lower nose tip is numb and tingly, feels hard to the touch, uncomfortable when I try to stretch down my upper lip.
Got crazy dark under eye circles (worse than my usual dark circles) and no matter how much sleep I get, I still look tired. Thank God for concealer.
Still congested, wake up occasionally with dry mouth and throat, but now I can blow my nose - which helps a lot, specially after using Salinex spray/mist.

Am I happy/glad I did it? Heck yeah!!! I just wish I had done it appx 10 yrs ago when I had the chance! I feel great. And still no one notices which makes me even happier - I wanted improvement/enhancement from my old nose :)

Let me know if you guys want a brief Day-by-Day summary of my recovery (there are lots of good ones on this forum that helped me tremendously!)

One More Thing...

Thanks to RS members newnosee, SingingSattelite, Doro, Access1982, etc (sorry if I forgot your name!) who advised me to communicate CLEARLY and explicitly with my surgeon, and NOT to assume he knows what I want. My surgeon, Dr. Rival, is well known for being conservative and doing "natural" looking noses, and a few of the patients I spoke with said that even though they are happy with their "after" noses, they wished they had asked for nostril reduction and shortening of the tip.
I brought this up when I spoke with my surgeon (I came with a written list of questions & concerns) and explained to him that I DO want a bit more in addition to hump removed - specifically nostril reduction, bridge narrowing, tip shortening, and we discussed in terms of millimetres. He was very patient and explained to me what was possible or not possible due to my thick skin, bone structure, and would look good etc.
So thank you EVERYONE who took the time to pm me with your advise, suggestions, and words of wisdom!

Wed Aug 14 was my 4 weeks post-op appt

Nose is now changing very slooowwwly. Doc said there's still swelling on my bridge & tip - and that my bridge will thin out more and my tip will become more defined!!! That's awesome news because I'm already so happy with the way it looks :) My uneven nostrils have gotten better & it will keep improving, but he said they will never fully be symmetrical - which is fine, it's a big improvement from before. I'm still congested and my nose is really itchy at the nostril base & columella and once in a while I feel a quick sharp pain at the incisions - good old healing process! The columella scar is more noticeable and pink looking to me than last week - I've been applying silicone scar gel (KeloCote) to it. Doc said it takes time for it to fade but the gel may help as well. And I feel like my nose is more swollen than last week - I have not been watching my salt intake like I was the first 3 weeks...
I have major under eye dark circles, very noticeable ( you can see in the pics), no matter how much sleep I get, I look exhausted, and make up doesn't really help. Especially under the left eye, it looks like bruising underneath the skin. Doc said that is normal and will eventually decrease - I asked him if there's a treatment, he said it's too soon for me to be looking into that but some of his patients had success with this cream: "B. Kamins Replenishing Eye Cream Kx" but he didn't know how much - I checked, Sephora sells it and it's $110 Cdn!!! Has anyone tried this and does it make a difference?
My next post-op appt is in Nov at the 4 month mark - I really hope everything goes well and my dark circles will improve!
I have not rated my PS or my results - I want to wait at least 3 months.
Sorry for the funky colours on my pics but hopefully you can still see the changes and the progress ;)

ps: Still no one notices!

Spent an entire day over the week-end with in-laws and family and NOT one person noticed my nose!
Still blows my mind!!!

Dark Circles :(

Dark Circles :(

2 Months Post-Op

...and still got major dark circles! Make up helps but I still look constantly tired! Everything else is going well, swelling has gone down quite a bit on the bridge and tip, but I still have lots of swelling on the inside of my nose. I'm less congested and use saline spray once a day. Nostrils are not even, but better than a month ago. Have been attending lots of work and social functions and no one has noticed or said anything :) Saw pictures of myself that someone else took and I still look like me but with a better nose that's in balance with my face - so glad I did this! Now I can wear my hair up, or put on a hat and not feel so self conscious! I hardly ever wore sunscreen on my face, but since cast-off I've been wearing sunscreen every day - regardless of the weather - and whenever I'm outside I put on a hat or a cap. A great forced habit from this surgery :) The stitches have faded quite a bit but not fully disappeared yet - I can easily cover up with make-up. My tip is less numb and tingly and doesn't feel rock hard like it did a month ago, but the columella is still rock hard and tingly.
So far so good :)

6 Months Post-Op

It's been 6 months today since I had my surgery! The extreme dark circles are gone, still have my 'regular' dark circles that I used to have :(
The swelling has gone down A LOT and my nose is more defined now and it really suits my face and looks good in pictures. Nostrils are still uneven but seems like I'm the only who notices because I scrutinize my nose in the mirror and pictures! My new nose is far from perfect! I would still like a shorter tip and even nostrils but then I think back to what I had and see my pre-op pics so I snap back into reality! Because the nose I have now is a 1000 times better than the nose I had!!!
I still get congested but not as often as a few months back and have not used saline spray in the past few months. Nose tip is much softer to the touch and doesn't feel rock hard anymore. There is still some slight tingling on the columella when I touch it and still feels somewhat hard.
I'm still amazed by the changes but I still look like me! I'm grateful that it's been working out for me because not everyone has had a positive experience based on some the reviews here, which is sad when I read it and I wish it would work out for everyone...
Dr. Richard Rival

you need to be happy with this result, it looks amazing, your change was drastic
Thank you! I am very grateful and happy with the results.
Stunning result! I have a similar 'before' starting point and I was wondering if your surgery was done open or closed?
Thank you! I had open septo rhinoplasty.
Any update!!?
Hi there! Today is exactly 6 mos since my surgery and I will post an update shortly. Thank you for reminding me :)
Thanks! I am going to get a consultation with Dr. rival and also Judenberg! Did you consider any other doctors in Toronto and/or consider going to another city (or even the US?) Thanks in advance for your time.
sorry - also, and most importantly, your nose looks AMAZING! Did he add grafts near the top of your nose/top of the bridge ?
Thank you:) No grafts. No packing. No splints. Just cast for 7 days. Actually I didn't consider any other surgeon as I had first consulted with Dr. Rival appx 9 yrs ago really liked him. I consulted another surgeon but felt more at ease with Dr. Rival. I did however reach out to a lot of Dr. Rival's rhinoplasty patients via this forum, who gave me great advise and honest feed back: he is a conservative surgeon - so be VERY explicit and clear as to what you expect, bring pictures + your own before/after mock-ups, discuss how many mm off the bridge, off the sides, off the nostrils, off the tip, etc. If it wasn't for this forum, I don't think I would've been able to communicate effectively with my surgeon...
Your nose looks good . Seems like the swelling has come down a lot & also your nostrils are looking much much better .The changes are great.
Thank you :) It's surreal that just 5 weeks ago I was preparing for surgery!
Hello and congratulations!! Wow, what a fabulous change for you...I love it! I too looked like an angry person before surgery and now look like who I am. Also, I stayed dark and hollow under my eyes for a long time, but realised after seeing something on TV that sleeping elevated was causing too much fluid to drain from my face. It has improved. All the best!!
Thank you, Newnose4me! You look great yourself, too :) Yikes, I'm still sleeping on my wedge pillow, I thought I was helping in reducing my nose swelling...but I guess not! I'll go back to my regular pillow :)
I hope changing pillows helps you too. I couldn't figure out for ages why my eyes were looking so bad, then I saw Dr Oz recommending sleeping elevated to reduce/drain undereye bags/swelling. I think it took a couple of weeks to get them looking normal again. Good luck!
Remember, your body went through a lot of stress during the surgery, especially the area around your nose bridge. It may take a while to recover fully, so be patient, and do not worry too much! You look great! The circles under the eyes will recover, too. I have had the same thing (sunken area around the eyes), and I think finally I am starting to see less of it. Hang in there!
Thanks, Doro! I do hope it gets better as I am really happy with my nose so far but these dark circles are really distracting...
Your nose just keeps on looking better! I am amazed how your swelling went down, really great results! Please keep us updated :))
Thanks, Doro! You have been such great help with all your advise and calming me down prior to surgery! My 4 wk post-op appt is tomorrow and I'll do an update. Your 'before' and 'after' pool pics with your baby really touched me because I have the same 'before' pics with my son and I hated how my nose looked... Not anymore;)
Lets just thank WaitingPatiently for her support and her kindness to post the pictures she feels comfortable posting for all us who are thinking of having this surgery. With out people like her there is no knowledge and awareness for each and everyone of us .She has been a big help for me & many others & for that I thank her .
Thank you, Access19, I really appreciate the kind words and the support!
Charlesp Its because everyone needs some sort of privacy .Some people will post pictures showing there whole face and are fine with it others choose to have more privacy. I think we all have to remember we are all real people who have real lives and not every one wants to explain them self or have it stamped on there head. Anyways i'm a guy and not sure how much I want to show others who I am.. So I agree with her to the T.
my god, why are you taking off eyes and mouth like this.. it is so creepy .. but nice results .
Thank you. Less than a handful of people in my personal & professional life know about my surgery and I'd like to keep some semblance of privacy, but at the same time I wanted to share my experience with RealSelfers as this forum as been invaluable in my rhinoplasty journey!
And it's probably better that way. Last time I yahood pics of my surgeon's name and the word rhinoplasty, and my horrible 1 day post op pics came up with bruises and drip pad under my nose. Really scary ;))
Yikes! That would cause me a lot of unnecessary grief and attention in my particular life, since so far my rhinoplasty has gone undetected...Thank God!