Here's Hoping...- Newcastle Upon Tyne, GB

Well, my first fitting is tomorrow (yikes)......

Well, my first fitting is tomorrow (yikes)...

I've been reading reviews since the initial discussions with my dentist back in February to help me make a decision and after a lot of thought I've decided to proceed. I'm 40 years old and over recent years have found my teeth (both upper and lower arches) becoming more crooked and I have overcrowding on my lower arch. I've been unhappy with my teeth for many years but as I've always been scared of the dentist I've just put up with it but made a decision in the new year to do something about it!

I found a great dentist and surgery that makes me feel at ease and therefore helped in my decision to go-ahead. As I mentioned I get my first trays tomorrow and my treatment is scheduled to last for 9 months. I'm due to have 12 attachments (5 lower and 7 upper).

I'm feel nervous and apprehensive at the moment and I know it's going to take some getting used to but hopefully I will get some encouragement along the way! I'm starting to freak out about the impact it's going to have on my life as I love eating and drinking, so I'm going to find it difficult having to curb things like eating out and drinking wine leisurely!!

However it's an expensive excercise I'm entering into, so I'm not taking it lightly. I will try and keep this as up to date as possible. Wish me luck for tomorrow :)

As I've got my first trays now I thought I'd post...

As I've got my first trays now I thought I'd post a couple of photos, one before and the other is wearing my first set :)

Day 6 and survived my first weekend wearing my...

Day 6 and survived my first weekend wearing my aligners! You need good will power to manage the 22 hours a day (just as well I have) and I did find it challenging not being able to eat/drink at my leisure but that's the way it is!! It's not so bad Monday to Friday when I'm at work as you have your mind on other things.

You don't realise how time consuming all the hygiene is either which eats into your 2 free hours and also when you do take your trays out how sensitive your teeth are going to be. It's good to know though that even at this early stage that must mean things are working. :)

Cleaning

As I get my second set of trays tomorrow I thought I would just give my feedback on how I've got on with cleaning my trays.

There's a lot of conflicting advice out there and I was ready to purchase all the suggested cleaners etc but my dentist insisted that all I needed was my toothbrush and a small amount of flouride toothpaste so I decided to take her professional advice and see how it went.

I'm very particular about my hygiene anyway so I suppose that helps but my routine is pretty basic in that as soon as I take the trays out, I've rinsed them with water and left them in a glass of cold water (thanks for that tip people) whilst I'm eating. That is of course if you're at home or in a position to do that, if I've been at work or in a restaurant I've placed them in my case. I obviously brush my teeth and mouthwash thoroughly and then using my electric toothbrush I clean the trays with a little bit of toothpaste give them a good rinse with water and that is it. I find it much easier to clean them with an electric brush rather than a manual one though.

I must say the trays have held up really well and I'm perfectly happy with the cleanliness of them so I'm just going to continue with this routine for my second trays.

Attachments

Received my second trays yesterday and had my attachments fitted (7 upper and 5 lower). Some being to the front (new photo attached) so they are noticeable and definitely make the trays less invisible!!! Personally I'm not bothered by this fact but if you do need attachments it is something to bear in mind. The attachments do make the trays a little more tricky to get in and out but I've managed so far and yes they feel weird when your trays are out but I haven't been too irritated by them yet.

I've also been given my next 3 sets of trays so my next appointment is in 8 weeks unless I have any problems. So fingers crossed I'm now fully on my journey to straighter teeth.

P.S. I did ask my dentist about the attachments staining with food/drink and was advise they are likely to discolour more quickly than your teeth so no more red wine for me and my black coffee is down to one cup a day! I suppose I could always use a straw :)

So far so good

I haven't updated for a few weeks as nothing dramatic to report, just plodding on with the regime! Started Tray 4 last night and they feel a little tighter which is to be expected but no real pain as such (which is good).

One thing I would like to mention, I did have my last set of trays out one evening for a special occasion for more than my 2 hours a day. My dentist said this would be ok as long as I made the time up over the week but this was so hard and I won't be doing it again in a hurry! 2 hours a day is not a lot to start with and if you have to cut this down even further it is pretty tough! So next time there's a party happening I'm going to be stricter with myself!!!

Thinking about a holiday (vacation) now but how me and my Invisaligns are going to get through that will be interesting! Any feedback on combining the two would be much appreciated.

Almost there!

I'm now on Tray 17 (of 18) and have been advised that I don't need refinements and that means I will soon be getting my attachments removed and my retainers fitted :)

I'm really happy how things have improved from straightening out my overcrowding and reducing my overjet on my upper arch which is pretty fantastic. I've posted a new photo wearing Tray 17 and even with them in you can see the improvement. Once I've had my attachments removed etc I will post some new pics showing the finished article!!
Kingswalk DP

Now sure how I never found you, but wow, great results!  What kind of retainer will you be getting?
Thanks, I'm getting fitted for removable retainers which I've been advised I need to wear without question for 12 months. The first 6 months full time as I currently do with my aligners and then decreasing after that. I do intend to wear them as instructed and forever if that's what it takes to keep things in place!!
Generally retainers are forever, but you don't have to wear them full-time after the initial period.  Are you getting clear trays or Hawleys?
Clear trays
Thanks!
Great results!
Thanks Henry, I'm really pleased how they look right now :) hope your treatment is going ok, hang in there the time will fly by!

I have been doing the Clear Correct since MAY, No changes yet. I have heard with Invasalign in 2months you see a change. Clear correct just put attachments on my teeth. this is now suppose to start the movement. It does not hurt and I feel nothing is drastically changing yet. 6 to 9 months we will see..it is over crowded bottom teeth I have not bad front teeth

I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I have been reading your review and I see you have yet to update recently. Finish up the "overjet" review. A lot of people believe these type of braces won't work on "overtjet" teeth.
Hi, yeah I haven't updated for a while as I'm just plodding on with my treatment right now. I'm sticking to the rules, wearing 22 hours a days and can see an improvement already. I'm currently on Tray 8 and my two upper front teeth are straightening out great and I'm advised they will start pushing back around Tray 10. Also I can see my lower over crowding is starting to move now although I know this arch is going to take longer to straighten out!
You could trim the edge of the aligner with a nail clipper, which leaves a much cleaner edge than an emory board. It is likely that not all of the aligners will be trimmed exactly alike and hopefully subsequent aligners will fit more flush.
Hi there. Thank you for your posts. I just got my first trays yesterday, and will get attachments on all visible uppers and about half of lowers. So it was nice to see what that looks like - though I wish it were more invisible. :) I have a lot of bottom crowding like you do, and I was wondering if the inside of your lower tray/aligner is flush with your gums or does it protrude some? My top is so smooth and flush, there's nothing to cut my tongue on. However, the bottom is not flush with my gums at the inside (on the outside/front of the bottom teeth it's fine). I asked the tech and she said mine were fine, but I'm wondering if I have a bad set or if having such crowding makes it difficult to make the inside flush. It feels like my tongue will get raw really quick - it catches the edge of the bottom every time I talk - and I have to talk all day long at work... Any thoughts or experiences on this? Thanks!!!
Hi, don't worry about the attachments they aren't that bad, no ones notices mine unless I point them out and I think things will relax and your trays will find their right place. In my experience on my first trays both felt rough on my tongue and especially when I was talking, I think because they were new it was hard to forget they were there and your tongue seeks them out (if you know what I mean). I'm on tray 4 now and day 1 on every set they feel alien and almost protruding and rough but then after that almost mould to my teeth so to speak. I do think that after a little while they will just feel normal to you and hopefully the roughness will subside. Honestly my trays feel regular to me now although when starting a new set you feel like you have a mouth of plastic, a little pain or roughness perhaps but then they settle down honestly you will forget they are there!!! Good luck I'm sure it will be worth it at end of the day, that's what I keep telling myself! ;)
Thanks!
This discussion is all very interesting, and as an experienced Invisalign provider, I can advise and empathize with you. There is an interesting comment in here about Invisalign dictating the treatment, and I can say that often times that is the case. Usually with a general dentist dabbling in orthodontics, he will allow that. What this means then is that some lab technician in Costa Rica is in fact treatment planning the case. The important thing to realize is that Invisalign is really just another appliance design, and a complete understanding of orthodontics and diagnosis and appliance mechanotherapy is still a big part of it. In other words, you should be having this treatment done by an orthodontist, not a general dentist. If you were having braces put on, isn't that what you would do? No difference here. Your case is not simple, Ab, as it requires significant intrusion of your lower anterior teeth. If the attachments are not properly designed and the sequence isn't right, you will face frustration. And then of course everyone will say that Invisalign doesn't work. I hope that's not the case for you. Best of luck. By the way, did your dentist offer Acceledent to you? Big adjunct for your case.
Your professional opinion is the Clear Correct just as effective as the Invisalign?
I drink a lot with my trays in. While i try to stick to water, sometimes that isn't possible. Either early mornings/long days require coffee or I really want a tea at my desk without prying my teeth out around an office full of people! I haven't noticed much discoloring at all. I always make sure to clean my trays good after (a good 20 min soak and then brushing). I drink coffee all the time with my attachments and haven't had a problem yet. My advice would be to swish some water between cups.
Thanks for the feedback Charlene, maybe I'm being a little cautious! I'm just paranoid about ruining my trays!!! Water is my new best friend but sometimes I could kill for an extra coffee at my desk!
I completely understand! i've had to dramatically cut down on my daily coffee but when im desperate and want to leave my trays in I usually use a straw so that I'm at least kind of cautious haha :)
Can we drink diet coke or diet sprite I wonder? Sugar free, right?
Honestly I just drink water when trays are in place - good job I like water!!!
Don't drink anything but water with your trays in! I was worried about staining but that's not the issue - it's the sugar or liquids basically sitting on your teeth (while being encased by your aligners). In only a couple of months of drinking white wine while having aligners in, my teeth have started decalifying!! My dentist had to put me on a special toothpaste to add fluoride to my teeth. So word of caution...
Yeah I know that not sticking to only water is a bad habit. I'd say that 90% of the time I stick to water with my trays in. Sometimes with work, there are some near impossible circumstances (4am-9pm requires much coffee throughout the day). I at least always use straws...though I know that the liquid can still (and does) make its way into the trays. I'm sorry to hear about the decalcifying! That sounds awful and painful. Has it been fixed? That's a great warning to share with others!
Not painful at all. Apparently it was something she noticed while cleaning my teeth. I have a special flouride toothpaste (prescription) that I have to use once a day. I don't know how long I'll have to use the toothpaste though...
I agree with you on the struggle as I too am a social creature. Eating & drinking is an adventure for me - not a quick task so I battle with the in & out of the trays (22hr minimum / day). All I can say is I'm happy with the progress thus far - especially the snacking in between meals that has slowed down. I wish you much success and can't wait to hear about the initial trays and your progress!! Happy Alignment!!!