Here's Hoping...- Newcastle Upon Tyne, GB

Well, my first fitting is tomorrow (yikes)......

Well, my first fitting is tomorrow (yikes)...

I've been reading reviews since the initial discussions with my dentist back in February to help me make a decision and after a lot of thought I've decided to proceed. I'm 40 years old and over recent years have found my teeth (both upper and lower arches) becoming more crooked and I have overcrowding on my lower arch. I've been unhappy with my teeth for many years but as I've always been scared of the dentist I've just put up with it but made a decision in the new year to do something about it!

I found a great dentist and surgery that makes me feel at ease and therefore helped in my decision to go-ahead. As I mentioned I get my first trays tomorrow and my treatment is scheduled to last for 9 months. I'm due to have 12 attachments (5 lower and 7 upper).

I'm feel nervous and apprehensive at the moment and I know it's going to take some getting used to but hopefully I will get some encouragement along the way! I'm starting to freak out about the impact it's going to have on my life as I love eating and drinking, so I'm going to find it difficult having to curb things like eating out and drinking wine leisurely!!

However it's an expensive excercise I'm entering into, so I'm not taking it lightly. I will try and keep this as up to date as possible. Wish me luck for tomorrow :)

As I've got my first trays now I thought I'd post...

As I've got my first trays now I thought I'd post a couple of photos, one before and the other is wearing my first set :)

Day 6 and survived my first weekend wearing my...

Day 6 and survived my first weekend wearing my aligners! You need good will power to manage the 22 hours a day (just as well I have) and I did find it challenging not being able to eat/drink at my leisure but that's the way it is!! It's not so bad Monday to Friday when I'm at work as you have your mind on other things.

You don't realise how time consuming all the hygiene is either which eats into your 2 free hours and also when you do take your trays out how sensitive your teeth are going to be. It's good to know though that even at this early stage that must mean things are working. :)

Cleaning

As I get my second set of trays tomorrow I thought I would just give my feedback on how I've got on with cleaning my trays.

There's a lot of conflicting advice out there and I was ready to purchase all the suggested cleaners etc but my dentist insisted that all I needed was my toothbrush and a small amount of flouride toothpaste so I decided to take her professional advice and see how it went.

I'm very particular about my hygiene anyway so I suppose that helps but my routine is pretty basic in that as soon as I take the trays out, I've rinsed them with water and left them in a glass of cold water (thanks for that tip people) whilst I'm eating. That is of course if you're at home or in a position to do that, if I've been at work or in a restaurant I've placed them in my case. I obviously brush my teeth and mouthwash thoroughly and then using my electric toothbrush I clean the trays with a little bit of toothpaste give them a good rinse with water and that is it. I find it much easier to clean them with an electric brush rather than a manual one though.

I must say the trays have held up really well and I'm perfectly happy with the cleanliness of them so I'm just going to continue with this routine for my second trays.

Attachments

Received my second trays yesterday and had my attachments fitted (7 upper and 5 lower). Some being to the front (new photo attached) so they are noticeable and definitely make the trays less invisible!!! Personally I'm not bothered by this fact but if you do need attachments it is something to bear in mind. The attachments do make the trays a little more tricky to get in and out but I've managed so far and yes they feel weird when your trays are out but I haven't been too irritated by them yet.

I've also been given my next 3 sets of trays so my next appointment is in 8 weeks unless I have any problems. So fingers crossed I'm now fully on my journey to straighter teeth.

P.S. I did ask my dentist about the attachments staining with food/drink and was advise they are likely to discolour more quickly than your teeth so no more red wine for me and my black coffee is down to one cup a day! I suppose I could always use a straw :)

So far so good

I haven't updated for a few weeks as nothing dramatic to report, just plodding on with the regime! Started Tray 4 last night and they feel a little tighter which is to be expected but no real pain as such (which is good).

One thing I would like to mention, I did have my last set of trays out one evening for a special occasion for more than my 2 hours a day. My dentist said this would be ok as long as I made the time up over the week but this was so hard and I won't be doing it again in a hurry! 2 hours a day is not a lot to start with and if you have to cut this down even further it is pretty tough! So next time there's a party happening I'm going to be stricter with myself!!!

Thinking about a holiday (vacation) now but how me and my Invisaligns are going to get through that will be interesting! Any feedback on combining the two would be much appreciated.

Almost there!

I'm now on Tray 17 (of 18) and have been advised that I don't need refinements and that means I will soon be getting my attachments removed and my retainers fitted :)

I'm really happy how things have improved from straightening out my overcrowding and reducing my overjet on my upper arch which is pretty fantastic. I've posted a new photo wearing Tray 17 and even with them in you can see the improvement. Once I've had my attachments removed etc I will post some new pics showing the finished article!!

Retainers - first set and 4 months in...

Apologies for not posting a picture of my results sooner. I'm happy that I went ahead with Invisalign and I think the photos from my first one to this one speak for themselves. Good luck everyone and remember it will be worth it in the end if you play by the rules!
Kingswalk DP